What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NHL Season Thread: TB wins and Kucherov loves beer (2 Viewers)

i've stated my displeasure with Quinn before, but i have to say, this season should be make or break for him.  he was hired in a rebuilding time, to assist the development of kids, but i don't think he is or was ready for top end talent.  every game this team has a too many men penalty and his random benchings and short bench continually hamper this team.  yesterday, he blames the only sandpaper type player, lemieux, for the too many men and benches him the entire first period.  he has miller with trouba, but limits miller's time.  if that's the case, just play smith.  pairing jack the turnstile with deangelo reeks of problems.  buchnevich and kaapo should be getting better, not stagnating.  his combos are odd at times and the team seems unprepared on numerous occasions.  this is almost a 2.5 line team.
Pretty much agree with all, BUT, I'm not going end of the world based on one game here.  I very much dislike Quinn as I've seen enough not to agree with much of what he does.  Anyone can tell Mika and Panarin to play 22 mpg and they'll get a few goals. It's how to manage the rest of the team.  Georgiov started 4 games against the Isles last year and won 3 of them, so let's start Igor.  I understand you want to make him your #1, but that doesn't mean he has to start every game.  

Rangers got put behind the 8 ball a bit in that they let in 2 softies and fell behind 3 goals in the first, that limits what you can do.  But to me it seems Quinn was just throwing #### against the wall and seeing what would stick.  Shorter training camp/no preseason games okay.  But this team should be rolling out 4 lines consistently.  Their 4th line is actually the best it's been in a long time (Disclaimer, I am a Lemieux fan), but instead, he's shortening the bench, throwing out VERY odd line combinations based on a few shifts performances and not getting continuity rolling between linemates.  Isles were much the better last night and it's just one game.  But when the only Ranger who was any damn dangerous was Gauthier, well, ungood.  

Lot's of youngsters - Miller can skate and stick handle, but well, he is not super sound positionally.  Tony D and Johnson, oof.  Lindgren and Fox were solid enough.  

Lots of goals here early in the NHL (which I like cause I like to bet overs).  The game is different without the electricity of the fans, but not much you can do about that.

What is the deal with Kakko btw?  Was shocked to see he was getting Kevin Rooneyesque minutes.

Please with the results and play from my new look Devils with so many new pieces and such a long layoff.  First period was rough but they got a lot better as things went along.  Even more encourage since 3 starters arwb't even playing yet.  Hughes leading the Devils forwards with 21+ minutes and Subban logging 30+ seems encouraging as well.  Hopefully they carry the positive play forward.

-QG

Disclaimer, because I know the family and he was a star for my Minutemen for three years, but John Leonard is off to promising start with the Sharks.

They threw him on LW last night with Hertl and Kane and he fit right in with two assists. Sharks people seemed to be very happy with how he looked overall.

(If anyone knows college hoop, his dad actually was head coach at Manhattan at one point and an assistant for Steve Lappas, which is how the family ended up in Amherst and never left. Younger brother, a HS sophomore now, could be just as good.)

- - -

On another note, Erik Karlsson looked awful last night. That contract could become an albatross for them in a real hurry.

What is the deal with Kakko btw?  Was shocked to see he was getting Kevin Rooneyesque minutes.

Please with the results and play from my new look Devils with so many new pieces and such a long layoff.  First period was rough but they got a lot better as things went along.  Even more encourage since 3 starters arwb't even playing yet.  Hughes leading the Devils forwards with 21+ minutes and Subban logging 30+ seems encouraging as well.  Hopefully they carry the positive play forward.

-QG
All the penalties they took screwed up the minutes these guys were getting. I think they took 7 penalties if I recall correctly. 

Kakko had a very good scoring chance that he missed on. I feel if he capitalized on that chance, we'd be talking differently about him. Did I think he played well? No, but there's bigger concerns in my opinion. Going to watch his skating more closely on Saturday. 

Panarin did not play well. Trouba was absolutely atrocious. Just horrific. The entire team played like 🙂

Only 1 game though. We'll see how they look tomorrow. Hopefully better.

Well that's unfortunate. Thought I put the "poop" symbol in there when I said "the entire team played like......." 

Great. My posting skills are now as bad as the Rangers play. Thanks Quinn.

Thanks - as much as I like to :pokey: regarding the Rangers I really find it weird how it has started out for him since he was supposed to he the more immediately pro-ready b/w him and Hughes.  Still a teenager after all but was wondering if something was up.  Expecting Hughes/Hischier vs Kakko/Lafreniere (sp?) to be the battle for the next decade plus.

-QG

wow, he took a bad penalty.  quinn already on tilt.  thank god we have jack johnson.  also, during pregame intros, the rangers were being introduced by number and forming in a center ice circle.  77 deangelo went, then 79 miller, african american, who filled in on the other side, not in order.  was this intentional or just coinkydink?

@Capella

The games that will be moved (original date in parentheses, all times p.m. ET):

Dallas at Florida (Jan. 14) now Feb. 22 at 7.

Dallas at Florida (Jan. 15) now May 3 at 7.

Dallas at Tampa Bay (Jan. 17) now May 4 at 7.

Dallas at Tampa Bay (Jan. 19) now May 10 at 7.

Florida at Detroit (Feb. 21) now Feb. 20 at 5.

Dallas at Florida (Feb. 23) now Feb. 24 at 5.

Buffalo at Pittsburgh (March 27) now March 26 at 7.

Boston at Washington (April 11) now April 10 at 7.

Pittsburgh at Buffalo (April 20) now April 19 at 7.

Florida at Tampa Bay (May 4) now March 16 at 7.

Flyers got out to early 3 goal lead but Couturier left early with some undisclosed injury very early and the Flyers have been outplayed for large stretches. 

Cahtah Haht has looked very good as the Flyerd cling to a one goal lead.

Flyers got out to early 3 goal lead but Couturier left early with some undisclosed injury very early and the Flyers have been outplayed for large stretches. 

Cahtah Haht has looked very good as the Flyerd cling to a one goal lead.
So much for the over being a lock 😂

@billmeltzer: AV: Couturier will have an MRI on his shoulder (looked like the right) on Saturday. "We'll know in the next few days. ....Carter Hart was the difference tonight. We played our best hockey in the 3rd period."

The Blues are using Torey Krug on D zone draws and killing penalties. That’s ... something.

(Oh, and the Avs might be decent this year.)

Last edited by a moderator:
@NHLJets: #NHLJets have canceled their practice scheduled for today. The decision was made out of an abundance of caution due to potential exposure of COVID-19. There is no further information at this time. Information regarding tomorrow’s schedule will come at a later time.

Rags juggling all their lines after 1 game - panic much? lol

Hope to see Sorokin get his first NHL start tonight.

LET’S GO ISLANDERS !!!

:towelwave:

-QG
The other thing I'll add to this is I thought KK flashed some vs CAR in the bubble. I didn't think he looked bad vs CAR. 

I'm hoping Quinn keeps him on the PP unit.

=Smackdown= said:
Rags juggling all their lines after 1 game - panic much? lol

Hope to see Sorokin get his first NHL start tonight.

LET’S GO ISLANDERS !!!

:towelwave:
Perhaps, but also considering it's a young team with zero preseason, they're just going to throw stuff at the wall and hope it sticks. If it doesn't, throw something else at the wall. Trying to figure out which combos are optimal. I don't think Quinn wants to break up that 1st line, so trying to find the right mix for lines 2 and 3 is the challenge. 

If it were a veteran team, I'd lean towards more patience with the line combos.

Quinn scratches DeAngelo tonight for slamming the penalty box door the other night and getting an additional minor. 

@NHLFlyers: Injury update: Forward Sean Couturier will be out a minimum of two weeks with a Costochondral separation.

@charlieo_conn: That would be seven games at least, if we're talking two weeks from today. These games come quickly this year.

@charlieo_conn: A bit concerned about that whole "a minimum of two weeks" thing for Couturier. Reading up on this injury, it doesn't seem like it generally heals quickly. Perhaps this one isn't super severe & they think he could potentially return quickly with extra padding & pain being managed.

Perhaps, but also considering it's a young team with zero preseason, they're just going to throw stuff at the wall and hope it sticks. If it doesn't, throw something else at the wall. Trying to figure out which combos are optimal. I don't think Quinn wants to break up that 1st line, so trying to find the right mix for lines 2 and 3 is the challenge. 

If it were a veteran team, I'd lean towards more patience with the line combos.

Quinn scratches DeAngelo tonight for slamming the penalty box door the other night and getting an additional minor. 
Yeah, there will be a lot of mix and matching early on. I dont have a problem with that generally but with Quinn it's all too common.

Hoping for a better effort today. At least the penalty killing was good!

Let's Go Rangers!!!

Are there spoiler rules in the thread.  Want to comment on Devils game but don't wanna spoil if people in here tape it.

Are the spoiler commands different in the new updated board?

Thx

-QG

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay plus there has been a little time since the game.  Beyond excited at this Devils start.  To do this against the defending Prez Cup team after a 10-month layoff with 10 new players in the lineup compared to the start of last season and with 3 starters not even here yet.  Jack looks transformed with extra weight.  Devils are on the up :devil: .

-QG

I do wonder what they will do with Butcher.  Just seems like time is up.  Not a lot of teams have the room for his $3.7m deal

-QG

Okay plus there has been a little time since the game.  Beyond excited at this Devils start.  To do this against the defending Prez Cup team after a 10-month layoff with 10 new players in the lineup compared to the start of last season and with 3 starters not even here yet.  Jack looks transformed with extra weight.  Devils are on the up :devil: .

-QG
Hughes looks pretty good

Do you guys get the Canadian broadcasts in the states? Wondering how it works with the all Canadian division this year.

In any case, Kevin Bieksa is the best player turned analyst in hockey I've seen in a long time. 

Users who are viewing this thread