What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NHL Season Thread: TB wins and Kucherov loves beer (1 Viewer)

If we get Montreal vs the Islanders in the Cup final, I may seriously skip it though. 
Did you see the McIndoe piece yesterday ranking the 18 potential matchups remaining? The Islanders didn't make the top 10 in any of them.  :lmao:

I don't know ... I love the way they're playing. I want to see how they match up with TB again, that was a pretty good series last year aside from the Game 1 drubbing.

Did you see the McIndoe piece yesterday ranking the 18 potential matchups remaining? The Islanders didn't make the top 10 in any of them.  :lmao:

I don't know ... I love the way they're playing. I want to see how they match up with TB again, that was a pretty good series last year aside from the Game 1 drubbing.
Just checked it out now and first thing I saw was Montreal vs Islanders ranked 18th. Checks out. 

Remember all the way back to when Sorokin was starting for the Islanders less than two weeks ago? What was that all about?

They beat the Pens and Bruins, they are pretty damn good. Tampa is better than those teams, but Isles are a good team who run the Trotz system. 
We heard all that last year, when they beat Florida, Washington and Philly, and sure, they’re a good team. Tampa is still better, and they’ll keep teaching that lesson to everybody.

My rooting interests the rest of the way:

Avs

Isles

Knights

Lightning

My rooting interests the rest of the way:

Avs

Isles

Knights

Lightning

Isles have always been my closet team (I do have five isles sweaters though) so I’m rooting fit them. 

I like Vegas, great veteran team that just plays every second like it’s an elimination game. 

I don’t mind the Bolts, they are the best team left and they are fun to watch. 

Canadiens, meh but they are a huge dog so I love that. 

Avs have the most talent but as a Wings fan, it’s too soon. Go Knights! 

Who is “we?” 
Tampa fans, all we heard from any news outlet that actually covered hockey is that the Islanders are apparently awesome, and to be fair, they were Tampa’s toughest test by that point in the playoffs. Tampa beat them in 6, and could easily beat them again.

Isles have always been my closet team (I do have five isles sweaters though) so I’m rooting fit them. 

I like Vegas, great veteran team that just plays every second like it’s an elimination game. 

I don’t mind the Bolts, they are the best team left and they are fun to watch. 

Canadiens, meh but they are a huge dog so I love that. 

Avs have the most talent but as a Wings fan, it’s too soon. Go Knights! 
I bought an Isles jersey my senior year in college, back when Jeff Norton was on the team (he went to prep school a quarter-mile from where I grew up). And Pat Lafontaine remains the nicest professional athlete I've ever met, bar none.

Tampa fans, all we heard from any news outlet that actually covered hockey is that the Islanders are apparently awesome, and to be fair, they were Tampa’s toughest test by that point in the playoffs. Tampa beat them in 6, and could easily beat them again.
Tampa has always been the true underdog story  :mellow:

I liked your shtick better when you were a Wings fan providing score updates after listening to games on the radio

📓

Tampa has always been the true underdog story  :mellow:

I liked your shtick better when you were a Wings fan providing score updates after listening to games on the radio

📓
That’s a blast from the past, but to answer Aaron’s question, I stopped following hockey for a few years, then for whatever reason, I got pulled back in about 2-3 years ago. I figured since I live in Florida, may as well follow one of the local teams now.

I don’t really get the Saints connection. 
After game 5, the Bruins coach was complaining about the refs and how the Islanders should be called the NY Saints because they just get away with penalties that are not called. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/islanders-fans-have-fun-bruce-cassidys-saints-comment#:~:text=Islanders fans have fun with Cassidy's 'Saints' comment&text="We're playing a team,York Islanders%2C" Cassidy said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might the last period Rask plays in a Bruins uniform. 

What about Krejci?

@CapFriendly: With the #Bruins playoffs coming to an end, here are their pending UFAs:

F
Krejci "A"
Hall
Kuraly
McKegg
Blidh
Carey

D
Reilly
Miller
Kampfer
Tinordi

G
Rask
Halák

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/bruins
IMO, probably depends on the money for Krejci. I think he can play, but will want too much. I don't think he brings value to the team that would compare well with the salary/production that they get from Marchand. I feel the same about Hall.

Seemed like the forwards were generally able to put on a lot of pressure, but couldn't score. I'm not sure Krejci has had a reliable scoring impact in a couple years. Hall concerned opponents when he had the puck, but was a no show in Buffalo and only scored once in the playoffs for the Bruins. I'm not sure I would trust him to do much more when he's another year older.

Even w/o injuries I think the D is the weakest link. I would think that they would focus there in the off season.

The ECF again - this time without their C - Anders Lee.

When we played TB last year the Isles did so the next day it seemed after closing out the Flyers - played against a very rested Lightning squad and got smoked in Game 1.

Brock Nelson with the game on his stick in OT on a breakaway of Game 6 still stings. 

The crowd last night at the Coliseum was bonkers. Friend of mine rented a brass band to play in the parking lot while tailgating.

Much respect for the Lightning - they got a hell of a team and most will pick them to win in 5 or 6. But not many thought the Isles would best the Bruins.

2 more weeks of Islander playoff hockey is gonna be a blast - 8 MORE !!!

LGI !!!

:towelwave:

IMO, probably depends on the money for Krejci. I think he can play, but will want too much. I don't think he brings value to the team that would compare well with the salary/production that they get from Marchand. I feel the same about Hall.

Seemed like the forwards were generally able to put on a lot of pressure, but couldn't score. I'm not sure Krejci has had a reliable scoring impact in a couple years. Hall concerned opponents when he had the puck, but was a no show in Buffalo and only scored once in the playoffs for the Bruins. I'm not sure I would trust him to do much more when he's another year older.

Even w/o injuries I think the D is the weakest link. I would think that they would focus there in the off season.
Honestly I think the starting point in conversations for Hall, Krejci, Rask or any outside UFAs has to be, “No one makes more than Bergeron.” That might sound unrealistic, but it has the formula that has worked for them in the current landscape.

Bergeron makes $6,875,000 per. So minimal cap hit for Krejci ($7.25m) or Rask ($7m). More so for Hall, but maybe you entice him with a longer-term deal and the idea that you know he enjoys playing in Boston.

The question becomes whether it makes more sense to use some of that money to shore up the D. In that case I think Rask is most likely to go, at least from the team viewpoint. Hand the keys to Swayman and Vladar (or cheap veteran backup) and fix the holes on D.

Honestly I think the starting point in conversations for Hall, Krejci, Rask or any outside UFAs has to be, “No one makes more than Bergeron.” That might sound unrealistic, but it has the formula that has worked for them in the current landscape.

Bergeron makes $6,875,000 per. So minimal cap hit for Krejci ($7.25m) or Rask ($7m). More so for Hall, but maybe you entice him with a longer-term deal and the idea that you know he enjoys playing in Boston.

The question becomes whether it makes more sense to use some of that money to shore up the D. In that case I think Rask is most likely to go, at least from the team viewpoint. Hand the keys to Swayman and Vladar (or cheap veteran backup) and fix the holes on D.
I’ll be interested to see where Hall goes. I don’t think anyone can figure him out but on a good team, he should be a 70 point + guy. After the Buffalo stint, I’d guess he’d take a reasonable three or four year deal. 

Why would Boston in their situation commit anything to Hall. They need to find defensemen. 

Why would Boston in their situation commit anything to Hall. They need to find defensemen. 
I don't disagree, but I also don't think anything matters if they go back to being a one-line team ... which is what happens if Hall and/or Krejci walk.

They've got almost $27m in projected cap space, potentially as much as $30m if either Grzelcyk or DeBrusk end up going to Seattle. But that also leaves holes at 2LW, 2C and plenty of spots up for grabs on the bottom six (Kuraly a UFA; Ritchie, Frederic RFAs) with really nothing imminent in the pipeline.

McAvoy and Clifton are the only proven D's under contract aside from Grzelcyk ... Carlo is an RFA, Miller and Reilly UFAs. After that you're into the Lauzon-Vaakanainen-Zboril range.

So I think if you can get Hall and Krejci on cheaper/short-term deals, you do it. If they ask too much, you let them walk. But either way, if they let Rask walk, they could have anywhere from $15M-$20M even if they bring Hall and Krejci back.

Should be an interesting offseason, because it won't get any easier next season going back into the Atlantic with TB, Florida and Toronto.

I don't disagree, but I also don't think anything matters if they go back to being a one-line team ... which is what happens if Hall and/or Krejci walk.

They've got almost $27m in projected cap space, potentially as much as $30m if either Grzelcyk or DeBrusk end up going to Seattle. But that also leaves holes at 2LW, 2C and plenty of spots up for grabs on the bottom six (Kuraly a UFA; Ritchie, Frederic RFAs) with really nothing imminent in the pipeline.

McAvoy and Clifton are the only proven D's under contract aside from Grzelcyk ... Carlo is an RFA, Miller and Reilly UFAs. After that you're into the Lauzon-Vaakanainen-Zboril range.

So I think if you can get Hall and Krejci on cheaper/short-term deals, you do it. If they ask too much, you let them walk. But either way, if they let Rask walk, they could have anywhere from $15M-$20M even if they bring Hall and Krejci back.

Should be an interesting offseason, because it won't get any easier next season going back into the Atlantic with TB, Florida and Toronto.
maybe they could trade Zboril, Senyshyn, and DeBrusk for Barzal.

sorry, never gets old.

maybe they could trade Zboril, Senyshyn, and DeBrusk for Barzal.

sorry, never gets old.
Yep. I haven't read enough about the 2015 draft today on Twitter and various other places ... 😬.

It's not even 20/20 hindsight ... everyone knew they had screwed the pooch the minute the word "Zach" was spoken.

The funny thing is, he actually got Carlo with one of the other picks they got from CalGary in the Hamilton trade, and Colin Miller in the Lucic deal from LA, as well as Kuraly (and a pick that became Trent Frederic) by flipping Martin Jones to the Sharks. It was brilliant maneuvering.

Then the scouts showed up and ... woof!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread