What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NHL Season Thread: TB wins and Kucherov loves beer (1 Viewer)

@ToddFuhrman: Special shout out to all those from @NHLonNBCSports coverage for their commitment to the game for 15+ years

All hockey fans appreciate the talent and personalities that made it possible

Quick question, will Ross Colton ever have a cooler moment in his career? The kid is a rookie and scored the Cup winning goal, he might have to retire already!

Great game and went pretty much as expected for me minus the penalties. This team is set for a while imo. 

Surreal to win this much across so many different sports in one city. When’s the boat parade?! 
Between the @TBLightning and the @Buccaneers, Tampa Bay has now won 3 championships in the last 283 days.

That's the shortest time span for a metro area to win 3 titles in MLB/NBA/NFL/NHL since Detroit won 3 in a span of 188 days in 1935-36 (Tigers, Lions, Red Wings).

Great game and went pretty much as expected for me minus the penalties. This team is set for a while imo. 
It's gonna be tough with their Cap situation. Will players be as willing to sign team friendly deals with JBB as they were with Stevie Y.  Going back to back has to help. but they are gonna lose some key players for sure.  It's all depends if those kids from the taxi squad can fill the needed holes.   No doubt losing Verhaeghe hurt,

Now this is crazy 

Two 62-win teams in NHL history. Both lost in their record-breaking seasons. Both went on to win back-to-back Cups immediately afterward.

The Detroit Red Wings in 1997 and 1998.

Now the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2020 and 2021.

It's gonna be tough with their Cap situation. Will players be as willing to sign team friendly deals with JBB as they were with Stevie Y.  Going back to back has to help. but they are gonna lose some key players for sure.  It's all depends if those kids from the taxi squad can fill the needed holes.   No doubt losing Verhaeghe hurt,
They’ll lose Coleman and Savard. Tyler is gone and one of Palat/Gourde/Killorn. Definitely will hurt their depth but Joseph is more than ready to be on the third line, Stephens and Colton will take over the checking line and they have a couple of kids in Syracuse who had good years. Their depth will be tested but they’re still one of the best teams going into next year. 

The one thing working for the Lightning is the fact that the cap isn’t going up, so teams aren’t going to be throwing money around this offseason. That might help them, at least with a few contracts. Seattle is going to take somebody good from them, so there’s that.

The main core is still there. They’ll retain 4 guys who are probably top 10 players in the league. And then some with McDonagh, Sergachev, Cernak. On and on. Youngsters will need to fill some roles, but if the desire is still there we should see another deep run. 

Underrated moment from the Cup photo, which is apparently now a Bolts tradition: as everyone held up two fingers to celebrate their consecutive Cups, Pat Maroon held up three, since he won in St. Louis the year before.

I forgot that Carolina and Tampa won’t share a division next year, and that sucks. Canes fans are a fun bunch, same with Nashville fans, but there will still be games between the teams going forward.
I'm okay with you guys out of our division 😃 .   Even though Canes played them tough, I could see a huge difference without Kuch playing.  Canes got up for those games and Tampa was business as usual.  I think we might have got 2 wins in the playoffs if they didn't pull Ned but we were out gunned everywhere.  Even D where I though we might have an edge.

You guys went back to back in difficult times.  So much respect.  

Last edited by a moderator:
What a an Org...and connection to this city thru Vinik...the best example of his impact is the incredible explosion of youth hockey here. And behind the scenes he’s committed to building a better Tampa.

Colleage of mine got pics w Travolta, Bret Michaels, Castor, Titus O’Neill, Locash, Yung something, Toby Hall...crazy night.

Sales have been over forecast but average as expected...but the big drama is with the Parade Tee, which is unique... :popcorn:  

What a an Org...and connection to this city thru Vinik...the best example of his impact is the incredible explosion of youth hockey here. And behind the scenes he’s committed to building a better Tampa.

Colleage of mine got pics w Travolta, Bret Michaels, Castor, Titus O’Neill, Locash, Yung something, Toby Hall...crazy night.

Sales have been over forecast but average as expected...but the big drama is with the Parade Tee, which is unique... :popcorn:  
lol got one sitting in my cart 

Kucherov's shirtless preseer, drinking bud lights and dropping F bombs like its going out of style :lmao:

https://youtu.be/RfwEHN7rEvY

The move at 4:45 in was pretty slick. :lol:

From The Athletic Sean Gentille

It was learned behavior.

After 16 months of Zoom press conferences — each more boring than the last, a matryoshka doll of say-nothing, dead-eyed, empty calories — I missed Nikita Kucherov’s post-Stanley Cup tour de force. I missed it because I couldn’t remember the last time one of those things was worth watching. I missed it because I went to sleep.

And I didn’t doze off, either. This wasn’t an accident. I willfully, knowingly made the trek from couch to bed. It was late, and I was tired.

Naturally, I woke up to Phase II of The Discourse. I’d missed the real-time shock over a hockey player saying something interesting (in public, on camera) and jumped, midstream, into the backlash. “Stay classy” Twitter replies. Hurt feelings. Reaction GIFs, as far down as you could scroll.

Why? Why? Why does such a huge chunk of the NHL-watching populace — the demographic who fetishize toughness and passion more than any fanbase in North American sports — reach for their pearls when it all gets verbalized? If you’re mad about this, why? Don’t you want to learn who these guys are?

This isn’t cherry-picking, either. It’s easy to do that when you’re writing off Twitter replies, but when there are enough folks saying the same thing, the straw man is made flesh. People are pissed about this, or they were — and they shouldn’t be. Hoo boy, they shouldn’t be. Typically, we have to draw humanity from hockey players in drips and drabs. We watch their actions, and we make assumptions, and we project. That guy cares because he plays hard. Ignore the 45-second answer where he said “get pucks in deep” enough to lull you into a trance. We rarely get moments like Kucherov’s — raw, real, funny, delivered with charisma and purpose, fueled by Bud Light — and when we do, a weird strain of Puritanism takes over. Hockey players are meant to be seen and not heard, or whatever.

There’s some irony at play here, too. When Steve Levy and Barry Melrose did their pregame hit on “SportsCenter,” both of them cracked jokes about how lethally boring Zoom pressers have become. That’s not the players’ fault, either. Each day, they’ve had to stare into a webcam lens and answer questions (some good, some bad, most in the mushy middle), with no real way to connect to the people asking them. Under normal circumstances, their answers are the product of media coaching, say-nothing hockey culture and contempt for the people asking them. Under pandemic circumstances, it’s even easier to hit cruise control and let some combo of all that stuff take over. We’ve all been doing this since March 2020. It’s easy to zone out, on both ends of the conversation.

Still, it was funny to hear Levy and Melrose state it so plainly. Levy said — and this is paraphrasing — that the circumstances of Game 5 were primed to kill enthusiasm. Melrose said he had to give up tickets to a baseball game with his grandson, and he was openly annoyed over it. The Canadiens were outmatched, everyone was traveling and Zoom pressers suck anyway, so … what are we doing here, exactly? So, the two broadcasters said, they opted to ask players whether they were having fun. Blake Coleman, technically, said something. Brayden Point, literally, did not.

And that was that. Good try, good effort. That’s how it works.

And that’s why Kucherov’s summertime airing of grievances was such a pleasant shock.

On Canadiens fans: “They acted, the fans in Montreal, like they won the Stanley Cup last game. Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me? … Their final was last series.”

On Conn Smythe winner Andrei Vasilevskiy: “Vasy was outstanding. MVP… I was telling him every day, ‘Vasy MVP. You’re the best player.’ And they give it to whatever the guy in Vegas, the Vezina.” That was Marc-Andre Fleury catching a stray.

On his teammates: “I’ve been in love with those guys.”

Kucherov’s likes: Vasilevskiy, beer. Kucherov’s dislikes: ill-timed fan celebrations, shirts. And now, as Festivus rolls on, we come to the feats of strength. Until you pin me, Vasy, Festivus is not over. It was perfect because it was recognizably human and — this is important — harmless.

Kucherov should defend his guys because that’s being a teammate. He should lob bombs at fans in Montreal for counting their chickens because that’s being a competitor. He should — now, more than ever — be able to bask in the glow of a second straight Cup, won in front of his fans, on the home stretch of the weirdest, worst collective experience most of us have been forced to endure because that’s being a person.

For too many, that’s not being a hockey player. Here’s hoping that changes. And if the Lightning are back here in 2022, I’m staying awake.

As annoying as it is to read Twitter replies casting straw men or however that author described it, it is equally annoying to read such a silly retort. I have no problems with what Kucherov said except the gate keeping of fans for celebrating too much. Came off as “act like you’ve been there before” … to fans. He should take his own advice. 

As annoying as it is to read Twitter replies casting straw men or however that author described it, it is equally annoying to read such a silly retort. I have no problems with what Kucherov said except the gate keeping of fans for celebrating too much. Came off as “act like you’ve been there before” … to fans. He should take his own advice. 
Since this is his second Cup, and he was hammered at the postgame last year, wouldn’t he technically be doing just that? Granted, he was a lot quieter last September, but he was noticeably and understandably drunk.

How does anyone get that drunk , that quickly, on Bud Light, anyway?

The only problem I have with his comment re the Montreal fans celebrating like they won the cup is he's wrong.  That was the 'we didn't get swept" cele. The "we just won the cup" celebration would have been significantly more raucous. Sadly, I doubt I'll even see that celebration again in my lifetime 

The only problem I have with his comment re the Montreal fans celebrating like they won the cup is he's wrong.  That was the 'we didn't get swept" cele. The "we just won the cup" celebration would have been significantly more raucous. Sadly, I doubt I'll even see that celebration again in my lifetime 
To be fair, it’s been so long since we saw a Montreal Cup win, I don’t know what the real thing looks like. I was 7 when they last won it, and hockey wasn’t quite on my radar yet.

Kidding, of course, they played a great series, considering nobody expected them to even be there. Now we’re sharing a division again, which will be interesting.

Random story that I was reminded of last night when hanging with some HS friends:

We were on a school trip to Montreal in 1986 when the Habs beat the Rangers to make the Cup Final. A buddy and I sat up until 4 a.m. and watched the stream of traffic down Ste. Catherine from our hotel room (which wasn't really near the Forum). I thought it was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread