What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NHL Season Thread: TB wins and Kucherov loves beer (3 Viewers)

Is this over now?  Does Wilson being sent to the dressing room for nothing his sins the other night settle it?  Or are the Rangers honor bound to keep starting fights until they win one?

@DarrenDreger: The fighting in the 1st period didn’t concern the league brass dialed into the Caps/Rangers game, but Buchnevich crosschecking Mantha in the face is likely to keep the DOPs/NYR communications ongoing for another day.

@DownGoesBrown: Buchnevich deserves a suspension for that, which has to the potential to be a real mess of a hearing.

It wasn't the statement. Dolan wants the rebuild sped up and Drury is his guy. Bigger problem is I believe Quinn is Drury's guy. 

This is big trouble. 
They're going to do something stupid this offseason. 

I doubt Drury has the stones to stand up to Dolan and tell him "no." 

I'm confused about all of this.  If it wasn't the statement, then why not wait until the end of the year?  Why go so hard after JD, whose career arc perfectly culminated in this job, and get him out of here so fast?  This doesn't make sense to me.
Because Dolan is impulsive. And also an alcoholic. 

Drury may be a good GM somewhere else, but he has his work cut out for him in dealing with the guy above him. 

have varely watched NHL the last few months since the Flyers went belly up, but tuned into to watch the Caps-NYR tonight. Wonder what the NHL heads think when they check viewers/ratings and they see this is one of the highest rated games of the year

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
That x-check was 10x worse than what Wilson did two nights ago.

Rangers aren't going to be happy with the result of all this.
Can it really be a cross check if he only has one hand on his stick

I think not.

And just like Cap fans say that Panarin had it coming for "jumping on Wilsons back", Matha had it coming after multiple  stick taps to the leg and then raising his arms to go after Buch. You get what you sow. Caps fans dont like it when show is on the other foot

after watching Kaprizov take a bad hit into the boards and then body slam Whitecloud (who wasn't even the one that hit him) and bloody his nose while he lays on the ice, my official stance on all this is your star player needs to stop being such a #####

Can it really be a cross check if he only has one hand on his stick

I think not.

And just like Cap fans say that Panarin had it coming for "jumping on Wilsons back", Matha had it coming after multiple  stick taps to the leg and then raising his arms to go after Buch. You get what you sow. Caps fans dont like it when show is on the other foot
yeah I don't get it, Buchnevich made a legal hard check, then when skating away he gets semi-punched in the back of the head then repeated stick taps to the back of the legs while skating away, while it looks like Matha is saying something.  When the play goes out the the zone Mantha skates towards Buchnevich instead of the puck while raising his stick with two hands.  Buchnevich jumps and throws a punch with the hand holding the stick, the other hand is not touching the stick.  

Not sure why this is dirty while a few days earlier the league deemed it relatively ok to punch a player on the ice to the head in a defenseless position. 

I love hockey but watching the league's inaction on Wilson's plays negates pushes the league more towards the need to have "tough guys" to patrol the ice.  Back to the stone ages of hockey.  

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman announces a $250,000 fine against the New York Rangers following public comments made by the team disagreeing with the league’s decision not to suspend the Capitals’ Tom Wilson after a fight on the ice with the Rangers’ Artemi Panarin

https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1390327045725511683

So it wasn't performance based? Or was it? 

https://nypost.com/2021/05/06/six-questions-after-rangers-shocking-firing-of-president-gm/

Q: How much did the Tom Wilson incident factor into the dismissals?

A: There was no correlation. The firings were being mulled by Jim Dolan for some time because of a disconnect between the CEO and Davidson/Gorton. Dolan is looking to close out the rebuilding chapter, while Davidson and Gorton were hoping to take more time with it.

Q: Were Davidson/Gorton not on board with the team’s statement condemning the Wilson “punishment”?

A: Davidson and Gorton did not think the organization’s statement on Wilson, who beat on Pavel Buchnevich and knocked Artemi Panarin out for the final three games, was a good idea. They did not want to be associated with it, but their position on the matter did not directly lead to their dismissal.
https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2021/05/06/takeaways-ny-rangers-team-president-and-gm-chris-drury/4970572001/

While Drury will be the undisputed face of the organization, it's become clear in the last 24 hours that Sather is still actively involved — and his voice carries a lot of weight.

Dolan leans on him for advice, which makes it hard to believe the firings of Davidson and Gorton would have happened without the 77-year-old's opinion being sought.

Multiple sources have indicated that Dolan grew impatient with the progress of the rebuild, which began in earnest at the beginning of 2018. But Drury — and Davidson before him — have insisted there was no playoffs-or-bust decree.

"I don’t think that was the expectation," Drury said. "I don’t think that was the mandate. With all the ups and downs throughout this shortened season, with coaches getting COVID, players in-and-out of the lineup, injuries, our youth – I think, overall, we had some very good, positive growing moments. Now it's definitely time to take the next step and turn those moments and turn our collective group of players into a team."
Dolan isn't a hockey guy. He clearly respects Sather. Dolan also wants the team to enter the "win now" phase.

Gorton was Sather's guy to be GM 6 yrs ago. Groomed him for the gig. So why did Sather sour on him? Clearly there were moves Sather disagreed on. Dolan clearly unhappy with the on ice product. His patience is also non-existent. He wants the rebuild to be done. My guess is Sather and Dolan both wanted a tougher roster. This was illuminated in the NYI games and vs WAS. Team is too soft. Need some leadership. Dolan also wants this rebuild to be done and his patience has run out for it. 

So punching a player who is face down on the ice is officially 2% as bad as hurting the NHL’s feelings by calling them out for being bad at their jobs across the entire front office of the league. Duly noted.

That said, I do not work for the NHL in any capacity, so Gary Bettman can’t fine me a dime. Here goes: Gary Bettman is the worst GM in this or any sport. His own league’s officials can’t do their job with anything resembling consistency or competence, discipline for repeat offenders is not a thing done well, or really at all, player safety is so much of a joke that it’s making the rounds in stand-up routines in Saskatoon, league marketing is nonexistent anywhere south of Detroit, and he has the gall to fine a team a quarter of a million dollars for daring to speak ill of the organization he has run poorly for far too long? This would be a joke, if it were funny, but it’s not, and I’m not laughing. I’m waiting for the day that Bettman is out of office, because then maybe someone who actually knows their own sport’s needs can step up.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/06/james-dolan-chris-drury-the-right-guy-to-lead-the-rangers/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Dolan speaks. Essentially, the Rangers are just too soft. No toughness. Says he won't assume a greater presence with the Rangers decision making. Quinn's future is up to Drury per Dolan. Says he started thinking about this 20-25 games ago. The 6-1 loss to NYI a few weeks back was "big." Wanted to have Drury in place for the exit meetings. Says Drury reminds him of Cashman. 

Sounds like Drury will have his way. Good. Hope that's the truth. Glad to admit I was wrong and overreacted. 

The issue I have is that JD has proven he can build winners.  Drury has not.  Why not wait to make the move until after the season?  It’s ridiculous timing.  Rangers are youngest team in the league.  Have been without two of their better players the past few games in Trouba and Kreider.  Were without Panarin for 11 games in a shortened season.  Team has great core and decent cap room and really plenty of talent in the pipeline and you fire your GM and president before the season ends?  That reeks of incompetence. Want to get tougher fine, address that in the off-season.  Team is moving in the right direction and you fire the people that got you there?  Brilliant. Wtf gonna fix the draft lottery for you again this year :hot:

So punching a player who is face down on the ice is officially 2% as bad as hurting the NHL’s feelings by calling them out for being bad at their jobs across the entire front office of the league. Duly noted.

That said, I do not work for the NHL in any capacity, so Gary Bettman can’t fine me a dime. Here goes: Gary Bettman is the worst GM in this or any sport. His own league’s officials can’t do their job with anything resembling consistency or competence, discipline for repeat offenders is not a thing done well, or really at all, player safety is so much of a joke that it’s making the rounds in stand-up routines in Saskatoon, league marketing is nonexistent anywhere south of Detroit, and he has the gall to fine a team a quarter of a million dollars for daring to speak ill of the organization he has run poorly for far too long? This would be a joke, if it were funny, but it’s not, and I’m not laughing. I’m waiting for the day that Bettman is out of office, because then maybe someone who actually knows their own sport’s needs can step up.
Yuk Yuk's stays in the top 5 in Saskatoon nightlife by staying on top of current events, it's true.

-QG

The issue I have is that JD has proven he can build winners.  Drury has not.  Why not wait to make the move until after the season?  It’s ridiculous timing.  Rangers are youngest team in the league.  Have been without two of their better players the past few games in Trouba and Kreider.  Were without Panarin for 11 games in a shortened season.  Team has great core and decent cap room and really plenty of talent in the pipeline and you fire your GM and president before the season ends?  That reeks of incompetence. Want to get tougher fine, address that in the off-season.  Team is moving in the right direction and you fire the people that got you there?  Brilliant. Wtf gonna fix the draft lottery for you again this year :hot:
Rangers are NOT the youngest team in the league sir :devil:

Rest of your points are solid though and it's why I have my :popcorn: out here across the Hudson

-QG

Last edited by a moderator:
I get having issues with the way the Rangers are constructed, BUT, it’s not like they didn’t try. They tried to sign Reaves and the tried to sign Matt Martin. Both did not want to come. While they are good at what they do, you can’t throw boatloads of money at them when you have to pay Zibby, Kakko, Fox and the rest of the crew. 
The other issue is that there aren’t many Tom Wilson’s out there to sign. I think it was short sighted and will ultimately hurt the team more than help it. 
I know Quinn is a Drury guy but I don’t see any chance he comes back. He has a way he wants the players to play and they refuse to do it. And then they each talk about it during press conferences. 
I think the Rangers make some very very dumb trades this off-season and really screw themselves. 
All because Dolans millionaire buddies tell him how talented they are. What a joke. 

i am not a fan of this move, but i am also not a fan of some of their recent moves, mainly the trouba deal and the kreider signing.  the canes ran them out of the building last year and this team did nothing to address that shortcoming,  they tried a bit, but not enough.  they drafted in 2020 some big bodies to change the dynamic and likely would’ve addressed the issue this offseason.  they have prospects and need to parlay them into a cohesive team.  i think a big part of the problem is quinn and i would’ve preferred he went instead of gorton and jd.  not naming a C hurt.  they really had no choice on the strome and deangelo signings.  this team seemingly has trouba, fox, lindgren and miller as top 4. of that’s the case, some of these D prospects have to be dealt or 1 of those 4 must be parlayed.  the bottom 2 should be vet type bangers, think david savard.  i was never a drury fan, maybe he sways me as an exec, but i get the feeling he’s a company man.....meaning others will tell him what to do.  i just hope we don’t start wheeling young talent for 20 point grinder types, but i think this is what is gonna happen.  

after watching Kaprizov take a bad hit into the boards and then body slam Whitecloud (who wasn't even the one that hit him) and bloody his nose while he lays on the ice, my official stance on all this is your star player needs to stop being such a #####
He’s a fun player. Glad Minnesota got a guy like him. 

You have to wonder about a lot of things.

First, I can't imagine the rest of the league doesn't look at us as anything other than a circus show. 

Second, did they fear that they'd lose Drury and eventually things came to a fork in the road? I doubt this. He turned down offers before, my feeling is he wanted to be in NY. 

Third, despite winning the lottery for Kakko and Laf, Gorton has made some very good moves outside of those. Is the area of toughness something this team lacked? Sure, but I rather it lack toughness than skill. Tough to find young talent (which not all of it will develop the way we hope it will btw). I think the heavier lifting has been done. So I'm just curious how this conversation went down. Did Gorton tell Dolan he thought the roster was tough enough? I doubt it. Did he say he wouldn't fix it? I doubt it. Has Gorton been perfect? Nope, but heck, he's been better than Sather was.

Fourth, JD and Gorton were architects of this rebuild. If you want the rebuild to continue, you don't fire the guys who were the architects of it. So this is moving into another phase despite all the press conferences and lawyerly answers saying otherwise. 

I think Gorton wanted a more patient approach and Dolan already has zero patience to begin with. Maybe JD said he's gone if Gorton gets canned and Dolan said "fine." 

No one reasonable expected the Rangers to make the playoffs this year under these circumstances in that division. But yet again, is Dolan reasonable? Probably not. Sather is also clearly still involved to some degree. Clearly he soured on Gorton and felt Drury could do better. 

I really wish baseball would follow these rules and just let the guy that got beaned or near beaned (clearly on purpose) pound the piss out of the pitcher ...or at least attempt to do so for at least 45 seconds.  

No intervention ...no fake machismo.  Come at me or don't - but you ain't gettin' no back up bro for at least those 45 seconds.  

Flyers penultimate game sees them gain a meaningless loser point and clinch the division for the hated Penguins.

Sigh.

Seems about right.

#blameAV

So are they going to delay the North division playoffs while the Flames and Canucks play their meaningless 4 games, or are they going to just cancel those?

Nice to see Rinne end this season on a high note like that.   Class act alk the way and just such a great player for the Preds for years.

So are they going to delay the North division playoffs while the Flames and Canucks play their meaningless 4 games, or are they going to just cancel those?
That's been a bit of a discussion point the last few days. Things like sponsorships and bonuses complicate it I think.

Maybe let them play but start playoff games anyway?

Will they make 'em play the 6 games for the sake of the ping pong ball? :)

(they would have to go 0-6-0 to move ahead of my Devils in the ping pong battle - though there are more teams in that mix for sure)

-QG

That's been a bit of a discussion point the last few days. Things like sponsorships and bonuses complicate it I think.

Maybe let them play but start playoff games anyway?
I feel like the "TBD" on the schedule is the intrigue - ah I see the Edmonton game now has a time (3:30pm Saturday) which I think is new).

But the 3 Calgary games?  Still "TBD" - are they really going to make Vancouver play 4 meaningless games in 5 days?

For the heck of it I checked the CapFriendly Expansion Draft site to see if any of that matters.  For Vancouver there are technically two guys who can get in 5 or 6 more games to meet the 27-game stipulation for the expansion draft rules.  But the Canucks have well over the required numbers in question so that doesn't seem like it really matters.  The Flames have no such players where that status can change.

I think they scheduled the Oilers game so every team that's in the playoffs will have played the same number of games.

I looked on Yahoo and apparently they have already scheduled game one of Boston-Washington for Saturday night 7:15pm (Oilers/Canucks will be 3:30 that same day).

So unless they are getting nutty in terms of player pay or service time or something I think it'll be 29 teams that play 56 games and 2 teams (Cgy/Van) that play 53.

-QG

Wow there are a TON of teams all right next to each other between 5th and 11th in the ping pong ball order.

Here's how those teams stack per http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

4th) NJ 45 points 15 RW 19 ROW .804 points percentage  - no more games

5th) CBJ 48 points 12 RW .857 points percentage - no more games

6th) DET 48 points 16 RW .857 points percentage - no more games

7th) SJ 49 points 15 RW .891 points percentage - 1 game left so can get as many as 51 points

8th) OTT 49 points 18 RW .891 points percentage - 1 game left so can get as many as 51 points

9th) VAN 45 points 15 RW .900 points percentage  - SIX games left so they be from anywhere from 45 points to 57 if they play em all

10th) LA 48 points 19 RW .906 points percentage - 3 games left (playing as I type this) so they can be anywhere from 48 to 54 points

11th) CGY 49 points 20 RW .942 points percentage - 4 games left so they can be anywhere from 49 to 57 if they play em all

12th) ARI forfeited for being no good cheaters but they have 54 points 19 RW and .964 points percentage.  They are done.

13th) CHI 55 points 15 RW .982 points percentage - they are done.

So....if all the games were played Vancouver's outcomes still could be anywhere from 4th (and 19.1% chance of a top-2 pick) all the way to 13th (and a 4.2% chance of a top-2 pick).

Calgary's possibilities are a little less extreme.  Still I really cannot imagine they really are gonna make 'em play those 3 games.  It seems like the reschedule design was predicated on it.

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread