What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Extending range of a handheld device antenna (1 Viewer)

BigJim®

Footballguy
Sort of an off the wall topic, but I use some equipment which transmits an alarm signal to a hand held pager, and it has a range of <> 300 yards when tripped. The product FAQ suggests the range can be dramatically increased by "strip the tip of the pager antenna wire and crimp on bullet splice (male/female connector) to a 16 gauge multi-strand wire." It goes on to recommend running the extension wire to a higher altitude for best results. I don't see anything on youtube showing this being done (thought there may be a use case for home base walkie/talkie signal), so I'm a little worried about ruining my equipment if the FAQ is bunk. OTOH, it would be ideal to get to 400-600 yard range for this signal. Anyone attempted anything like this, or able to comment whether it sounds legit?

I can tell by your question that you were a cable TV household as a kid. I'll try not to hold that against you.

In short, yes it should work, except I think they meant butt splice.  Bullet or spade connectors would be fine for easy disconnect-ability but not absolutely required. Worst case scenario is you wind up with an antenna that it looks like your dog chewed the tip off of.

Is this for one of those sci-fi exploding necklace things?

Those things never fail. Best to hold out and hope for rescue.

Users who are viewing this thread