What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Stand - 2020 (1 Viewer)

Kiddnets

Footballguy
Didnt see a thread on this (if I missed it please merge) -

Anyone catching this so far?  

My favorite book of all time....little creepier based on dealing with our own Captain Trips....

I actually liked the 1st adaptation in the 90s....especially the casting (except Molly Ringwald who was distracting through no fault of her own)....this cast seems younger and almost too polished looking so far....I also am not a fan of the out of sequence cuts...very disjointed so far and cant imagine someone not familiar with the source could keep up

Interested in other thoughts.....

I read the book twice when I was younger. I didn’t realize the show launched already. I don’t have CBS All Access at the moment, but may get it now just for this show and the new season is Star Trek. 

I read the book twice when I was younger. I didn’t realize the show launched already. I don’t have CBS All Access at the moment, but may get it now just for this show and the new season is Star Trek. 
did you see the 90s adaptation?  

Didnt see a thread on this (if I missed it please merge) -

Anyone catching this so far?  

My favorite book of all time....little creepier based on dealing with our own Captain Trips....

I actually liked the 1st adaptation in the 90s....especially the casting (except Molly Ringwald who was distracting through no fault of her own)....this cast seems younger and almost too polished looking so far....I also am not a fan of the out of sequence cuts...very disjointed so far and cant imagine someone not familiar with the source could keep up

Interested in other thoughts.....
I agree about the time jumps. When it started with them in Boulder I had to double check that I didn’t accidentally start with a later episode. 

Come on guys, it wasn't that confusing.  They put in big white letters. " Five years earlier ".
I just prefer the linear way better....but its only episode 1 so ill give it a chance....id be interested on the opinion of someone who has not read the book or watched the original to see how they viewed it....

I just prefer the linear way better....but its only episode 1 so ill give it a chance....id be interested on the opinion of someone who has not read the book or watched the original to see how they viewed it....
I expect more of the same in way of flashbacks. There are other characters to introduce.  Stu and Frannie meeting. Once you have brought the story to Boulder they will have to explain how people got there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about the time jumps. When it started with them in Boulder I had to double check that I didn’t accidentally start with a later episode. 
I guess they can’t just duplicate the last series, but I can’t imagine they came up with a better opening than the breach at the government installation. 

I guess they can’t just duplicate the last series, but I can’t imagine they came up with a better opening than the breach at the government installation. 
That was one of my favorite parts. No Reaper is a bit disappointing. I’m sure that beginning could be enhanced today versus when it was made but the music and the breach were perfect.

prosopis said:
I am not a fan of the foot in the door moment. I liked the shout out to cemetery dance. Everyone is way to pretty.
I said the same thing in the Netflix thread.  Think there could have been a more subtle way to go about that. 

I liked the use of The Stranger though.

That was one of my favorite parts. No Reaper is a bit disappointing. I’m sure that beginning could be enhanced today versus when it was made but the music and the breach were perfect.
Reaper is such a perfect song for those scenes....I did like the Stranger though......also didnt love the foot in the door....makes Flagg the cause rather than an observer taking advantage...completely agree on the too pretty comment....Sinise's Stu was much closer to how I pictured Stu....Frannie seems really young...but maybe Im just old now lol

Watched the first episode and I am concerned. Like others have mentioned, I don’t like the time jumping. I have to think it is a bit confusing for those not familiar with the source material. And I get that the first several episodes will take turns introducing the key characters, but I feel like even though they spent a ton of time on Harold in the first episode, they completely rushed his Harold/Hawk conflict and ultimate turn to the dark side. They seemed to rush through that in about 3 minutes. Maybe they’ll flesh it out more in subsequent episodes, but they have to get to the other characters too. 

Man, the fact that there is virtually no discussion in here is really saying something. First, releasing it on a CBS subscription platform?  Yuck. And then the first episode is so worrisome across the board. I really, really hope it gets better. After completely botching the Dark Tower (I’m told, as I couldn’t bring myself to watch the film), now they’re going to screw up The Stand?!?

I just am having a hard time signing on for another subscription service. As it is, I need to get my subscription stuff straight. My cable bill which includes tv (every movie channel), landline, 1 gig internet and alarm system through Xfinity is $375 a month (yeah we like PPVs so probably $30-$40 of that is PPV).  I pay for Netflix, Disney, Shudder, Amazon Prime, PSN and maybe a couple more I can't think of.  I can't justify yet another service to watch one show, but I see they are offering a one week free trial--so maybe I will wait for season one to get done and then binge it. 

The Stand was one of my favorite books--right up there with Swan Song by McCammon. 

I just am having a hard time signing on for another subscription service. As it is, I need to get my subscription stuff straight. My cable bill which includes tv (every movie channel), landline, 1 gig internet and alarm system through Xfinity is $375 a month (yeah we like PPVs so probably $30-$40 of that is PPV).  I pay for Netflix, Disney, Shudder, Amazon Prime, PSN and maybe a couple more I can't think of.  I can't justify yet another service to watch one show, but I see they are offering a one week free trial--so maybe I will wait for season one to get done and then binge it. 

The Stand was one of my favorite books--right up there with Swan Song by McCammon. 
Someone needs to adapt Swan Song into a series.

I've read the original once and the revised version twice.  I remember when the original 1994 miniseries aired but didn't watch it until  a few years later while stationed overseas in the UK.  I was a staunch hater of it originally and didn't watch it until I found out that King wrote the teleplay and even played a minor role in it.  Not fair probably, but I'm like that when it's a book I'm really invested in.  It even took me 5 years to watch the Peter Jackson LOTR movies.  And I even picked that apart so much nobody would want to watch it with me :).

Recently read on Wikipedia that Owen King (Stephen's youngest son) is one of the producers.....so I'll probably watch it at some point.  Just recently listened to the audiobook and then watched the miniseries again....so we'll see.  I'll try to be fair/impartial.  Years ago I KNOW I wouldn't be. 

I wouldn't invest in CBS' subscription service  just for it though.  If you  have a firestick the Cinema Movies App already has the 1st episode.  That's also where I just re-watched the 1994 miniseries.

Yeah, we already had a subscription because my son watches Champions League games. Not sure I would have signed up otherwise. 

Also, I loved Swan Song. I too am surprised someone hasn’t tried to make a movie. I’m wondering if having Job’s mask on screen throughout the movie is an obstacle. 

I'm not sure the offer is still going but back in August they offered Apple TV+ subscribers a bundle of CBS All Access and Showtime streaming for $9.99 a month. I already had a free year of Apple TV+ from buying a new iPhone for my kid so it was a pretty good deal. I have so many streaming services though I admit I don't use them much. The Star Trek show is fantastic. I don't think I've even watched any Showtime stuff yet.

I just saw the first episode and was extremely happy with it.  Of course, I'd just listened to the audio book and  re-watched the original '94 miniseries within the past week... so everything was so fresh in my recollection that I had no issues with all the jumping around folks in this thread have referenced. Saw that its Rotten Tomatoes rating wasn't so hot....but that's THEIR opinion....IMO :).

Looking forward to the rest of the series.  For my part, I always felt the first miniseries was a bit too short.  It appears this one will expand on the first one and I've had no issues with the plot changes thus far....understandable with the current times, plus a whole new generation and audience to appeal to. 

I did notice a few things from the book that weren't in the OG series that are in the new one.

just watched episode 2....just not lovin it....

still dont care for the jumping around....

not liking the casting....way toou young and professional looking....1994 series nailed it with just about all of the characters....they were definitely older than this cast and looked/acted much more grizzled....Heather Graham was interesting choice....

Really didnt like how NY ended up.....original way better

Whoopie as Mother Abigail not resonating....neither is Flagg....just seems so young and not as mysterious so far....

I really want to like this....naybe its that im so much older now and need to let that go....ill probably watch it again before next episode drops....

Man, the fact that there is virtually no discussion in here is really saying something. First, releasing it on a CBS subscription platform?  Yuck. And then the first episode is so worrisome across the board. I really, really hope it gets better. After completely botching the Dark Tower (I’m told, as I couldn’t bring myself to watch the film), now they’re going to screw up The Stand?!?
The Dark Tower Movie is a crime against humanity. Not only for the suffering one had to endure while watching it, but also for the fact that it basically nuked any chance we'll see an adaptation in longer format.

just finished episode 3....

Finally like a casting choice.....Kinnear as Bateman is great.  Not quite as old and sagelike as Mr Hand but definitely fits the bill opposed to the rest of the young and beautiful cast.....still sorting through Nick and Tom Cullen...trying to give them a chance as the rest has lost me

Still not a fan of the hopping around...I can follow but I definitely prefer the linear story.....Flagg not as good so far as well....

Hope it gets better in ep 4 but pessimistic.  

I will finish watching this because its The Stand and I feel I have to but this is not good. I have not been this disappointed in a Stephen King adaptation since I saw The Dark Tower in the theaters. I am a sad fan.

Would someone quote this or update the thread title when the series is available for free?

I saw the first episode and I'm mildly intrigued, but not nearly enough to pay for it.

I will finish watching this because its The Stand and I feel I have to but this is not good. I have not been this disappointed in a Stephen King adaptation since I saw The Dark Tower in the theaters. I am a sad fan.
I hear you - I was really looking fwd to this...after the success of "It" I thought they would do a better job.....the way they are telling the story and casting has been just bad so far.  

:blackdot: for updates on a free option. Will definitely watch for free (even if it sucks).

Users who are viewing this thread