What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Next 100 TOP SONG OF 1969 - #1 Back In The USSR - The Beatles (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Criteria - ANY SONG released as a single OR from an album released from October of 1968 and everything left from 1969.

Brief explanation of certain songs beginning with the first one.  In the late 60s my eldest sister had no money but owned a large poncho that had large pockets on the inside.  She would go into stores with empty poncho pockets and exit with poncho pockets full of 45 records.  She moved out when I discovered a worn out pile of 45s that were terribly warped and scratched.   

This was my first real musical exp0erience.  Listening to warped and scratched 45s on a mono turn table so some of these songs are what I call 'Poncho Pocket Favs' or PPV.  It pleases to me to no end that Mel and Tim 'just barely' made the list.😁

100. “Octopus’s Garden” The Beatles - Mel and Tim - Backfield in Motion

99. “Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show” Neil Diamond - Three Dog Night - One

98. “Candy Says” The Velvet Underground - BJ Thomas - Hooked On A Feeling

97. “Lodi” Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Good Golly Miss Molly

96. “Feelin’ Alright?” Joe Cocker - Too Busy Thinking About My Baby - Marvin Gaye

95. “I’ll Be Here In The Morning” Townes Van Zandt -  Little Green Bag - George Baker Selection

94. “Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere” Neil Young with Crazy Horse - All Together Now - The Beatles 

93. “21st Century Schizoid Man” King Crimson - Baby Its You - Smith

92. “Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye” Steam - Wrap It Up - Sam and Dave

91. “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again” Dionne Warwick - Israelites - Desmond Dekker & The Aces

90. “Eli’s Coming” Three Dog Night - Easy To Be Hard - Three Dog Night 

89. “Come and Get It” Badfinger - Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell

88. “Living In the Past” Jethro Tull - I'm So Tired - The Beatles 

87. “A Boy Named Sue” Johnny Cash - You Don't Have To Cry - Crosby, Stills, and Nash

86. “You Got the Silver” The Rolling Stones -  She Came In Through The Bathroom Window - Joe Cocker

85. “Something In the Air” Thunderclap Newman - Celebrate - Three Dog Night 

84. “Wedding Bell Blues” The 5th Dimension - Black Mountain Side - Led Zeppelin

83. “The Unfaithful Servant” The Band - Well Alright - Blind Faith

82. “Everybody Is a Star” Sly & the Family Stone - Mother Nature's Son - The Beatles 

81. “Cinnamon Girl” Neil Young with Crazy Horse - Cross Town Traffic - Jimi Hendrix

80. “Venus” Shocking Blue - Marrakesh Express - Crosby Still and Nash

79. “Living Loving Maid (She’s Just a Woman)” Led Zeppelin -  Have You Heard parts 1 & 2 and Voyager - The Moody Blues 

78. “Presence of the Lord” Blind Faith - Dear Prudence - The Beatles

77. “Be Careful With a Fool” Johnny Winter -  Born On The Bayou - Creedence Clearwater Reviva

76. “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head” BJ Thomas - Hitchin' A Ride - Vanity Fare

75. “Green River” Creedence Clearwater Revival - For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder

74. “Good Times, Bad Times” Led Zeppelin - Jennifer Juniper - Donovan 

73. “Give it Up Or Turn It a Loose” James Brown - Smile a Little Smile for Me - The Flying Machine

72. “Kozmic Blues” Janis Joplin - Time Is Tight - Booker T and the MG's

71. “Sweet Caroline” Neil Diamond - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother - The Hollies

70. “The Thrill Is Gone” B.B. King - Spinning Wheel - Blood, Sweat & Tears

69. “Up On Cripple Creek” The Band - I Want You (She's So Heavy) - The Beatles 

68. “Down On the Corner” Creedence Clearwater Revival - Soulful Strut - Young-Holt Unlimited

67. “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?” Chicago - Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town - Kenny Rogers & The First Edition

66. “Fare Thee Well, Miss Carousel” Townes Van Zandt - Carolina In My Mind - James Taylor

65. “Hey Bulldog” The Beatles - People Got To Be Free - The Rascals

64. “Some Kinda Love” The Velvet Underground - Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In - The Fifth Dimension

63. “Tonight I’ll Be Staying With You” Bob Dylan - Rocky Racoon - The Beatles

62. “Victoria” The Kinks - Give Peace A Chance - The Plastic Ono Band

61. “Communication Breakdown” Led Zeppelin - Hey Tomorrow - Jim Croce

60. “Ballad of Easy Rider” The Byrds - Moby **** (instrumental) - Led Zeppelin

59. “Bad Moon Rising” Creedence Clearwater River - Superstar (Jesus Christ Superstar song) - Murray Head With The Trinidad Singers 

58. “No Time” The Guess Who - In The Beginning- Lovely To See You - The Moody Blues

57. “Hot Fun in the Summertime” Sly & The Family Stone - Sugar Sugar - The Archies

56. “Badge” Cream - The Lemon Song - Led Zeppelin

55. “I’m Free” The Who - Tommy Can You Hear Me - The Who

54. “Suspicious Minds” Elvis Presley - Blackbird - The Beatles

53. “Put a Little Love In Your Heart” Jackie DeShannon - Riverman - Nick Drake

52. “Let It Bleed” The Rolling Stones - Wooden Ships - Crosby, Stills, and Nash

51. “Beginnings” Chicago - Elenore - The Turtles

50. “What Goes On” The Velvet Underground - Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes - Edison Lighthouse

49. “The Ballad of John and Yoko” The Beatles - I Will - The Beatles

48. "Chelsea Morning" Joni Mitchell - Build Me Up Buttercup - The Foundations

47. “Cowgirl In the Sand” Neil Young with Crazy Horse - Love Child - Diana Ross & The Supremes

46. “Helplessly Hoping” Crosby, Stills & Nash - Living In The U.S.A. - Steve Miller Band

45. “Can’t Find My Way Home” Blind Faith - Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix
44. “Lady Lady Lay” Bob Dylan - White Bird - Its A Beautiful Day

43. “Evil Ways” Santana - With A Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker

42. “Kick Out the Jams” MC5 - While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles 

41. “Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)” Sly & the Family Stone - Guinnevere - Crosby Stills & Nash

40. “Heartbreaker” Led Zeppelin - I Wanna Be Your Dog - The Stooges

39. “Monkey Man” The Rolling Stones - Everybody's Talkin' - Harry Nilsson

38. “Pale Blue Eyes” The Velvet Underground -  The Midnight Special - Creedence Clearwater Revival

37. “My Way” Frank Sinatra - Oh Happy Day - The Edwin Hawkins Singers

36. “Fortunate Son” Creedence Clearwater Revival - Birthday - The Beatles

35. “Dazed and Confused” Led Zeppelin - Oh Well (Pt. 1) -   Fleetwood Mac

34. “Don’t Let Me Down” The Beatles with Billy Preston - Barabajagal (Love is Hot) - Donovan

33. “Spirit in the Sky” Norman Greenbaum - Cloud Nine - The Temptations

32. “Ramble On” Led Zeppelin - Undun - The Guess Who

31. “Handbags and Gladrags” Rod Stewart - More Today Than Yesterday - Spiral Starecase

30. “Questions 67 and 68” Chicago - Never Comes The Day - The Moody Blues

29. “Down By the River” Neil Young with Crazy Horse - Happiness Is A Warm Gun - The Beatles

28. “My Cherie Amour” Stevie Wonder - What Does It Take (to win your love) - Junior Walker and the All Stars

27. “Across the Universe” The Beatles - He's My Sunny Boy · Diana Ross & The Supremes

26. “Whipping Post” The Allman Brothers Band - Grazing In The Grass - The Friends Of Distinction

25. “Someday We’ll Be Together” Diana Ross & The Supremes - Laughing - The Guess Who

24. “What Is and What Should Never Be” Led Zeppelin - Good Morning Starshine - Oliver

23. “Honky Tonk Women” The Rolling Stones - You've Made Me So Very Happy - Blood Sweat and Tears

22. “I Can’t Get Next to You” The Temptations - Ramblin' Gamblin Man - Bob Seger System

21. “It’s Your Thing” The Isley Brothers - I Got A Line On You -  Spirit

20. “I Want to Take You Higher” Sly & the Family Stone - Crystal Blue Persuasion - Tommy James & the Shondells

19. “Pinball Wizard” The Who - These Eyes - The Guess Who

18. “Proud Mary” Creedence Clearwater Revival - I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye

17. “Here Comes the Sun” The Beatles - Touch Me - The Doors

16. “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You” Led Zeppelin -  Oh Darling - The Beatles

15. “Midnight Rambler” The Rolling Stones - Time Of The Season - The Zombies

14. “We’re Not Gonna Take It” The Who - Your Time Is Gonna Come - Led Zeppelin

13. “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes” Crosby, Stills & Nash - Leaving On A Jet Plane - Peter Paul and Mary

12. “Get Back” The Beatles with Billy Preston - Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield 

11. “Space Oddity” David Bowie - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta Flack

10. “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” The Rolling Stones - Thank You - Led Zeppelin

9. “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” The Band - Get Ready - Rare Earth

8. “Abbey Road Medley” The Beatles - Crimson and Clover - Tommy James & The Shondells

7. “Come Together” The Beatles  - Revolution - The Beatles

6. “The Boxer” Simon & Garfunkel - Get Together - The Youngbloods

5. “Both Sides Now” Joni Mitchell - All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

4. “Whole Lotta Love” Led Zeppelin - Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf

3. “I Want You Back” The Jackson 5 - Street Fighting Man - The Rolling Stones

2. “Gimme Shelter” The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil - The Rolling Stones

1. “Something” The Beatles - Back In The USSR - The Beatles

Last edited by a moderator:
BJ  Thomas who most recall from his hit Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head which was used in the film Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid.  Tim got Raindrops on his list but BJ had another hit when he did the original version of this song which did 'OK' as it reached number 5 back in 69.

# 98 BJ Thomas - Hooked On A Feeling

Most would remember the song from Gardians Of The Galaxy when a version by a group called Blue Swede was used and is widely considered the best version of BJ's song.  They did it a few years later in 74.

Their version of it reached number one.  

#94  All Together Now - The Beatles

Of the other lists I have never had a group have more than a half dozen songs until this list.

Apologies to Krista because I only started visiting this forum less than a year ago so I completely missed her Beatles lists and it simply was/is too late to try and catch up so I haven't gone through her takes or been influenced by any discussion from her threads.  

I was a huge Beatlemaniac in my teens and well into my twenties but tailed off with sporadic gorging over time.  My buddy in high school was the one who turned me onto the Beatles.  I had heard them a lot on the radio and from five sisters and my brother but it was my high school buddy who went nutz over them to the point I tried to find other groups who were as good and failed.  I was influenced but a self-made conscious-convert.  By the time we were getting into them the Beatles were passe'.  While our peers were listening to the flavor of the day we were digging deep into the Beatles from a previous decade with visions of a reunion when John happened. 

John Bonham had died recently and then John.  I'll never forget walking to school with kids brining in radios and then someone wrote up on the blackboard.  "Rock and Roll is dying."   I placed the Beatles up on a pious pedestal.

Unapologetically I'm saying to expect a lot more than a half dozen Beatles songs on this list.

#94  All Together Now - The Beatles

Of the other lists I have never had a group have more than a half dozen songs until this list.

Apologies to Krista because I only started visiting this forum less than a year ago so I completely missed her Beatles lists and it simply was/is too late to try and catch up so I haven't gone through her takes or been influenced by any discussion from her threads.  

I was a huge Beatlemaniac in my teens and well into my twenties but tailed off with sporadic gorging over time.  My buddy in high school was the one who turned me onto the Beatles.  I had heard them a lot on the radio and from five sisters and my brother but it was my high school buddy who went nutz over them to the point I tried to find other groups who were as good and failed.  I was influenced but a self-made conscious-convert.  By the time we were getting into them the Beatles were passe'.  While our peers were listening to the flavor of the day we were digging deep into the Beatles from a previous decade with visions of a reunion when John happened. 

John Bonham had died recently and then John.  I'll never forget walking to school with kids brining in radios and then someone wrote up on the blackboard.  "Rock and Roll is dying."   I placed the Beatles up on a pious pedestal.

Unapologetically I'm saying to expect a lot more than a half dozen Beatles songs on this list.
@krista4 loves the counting on this one! 

#89  Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell

2010, Rolling Stone magazine listed this at #195 on their "500 Greatest Songs of All Time".  It has been referred to as "the first existential country song".  Selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the National Recording Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

The strings hit such a perfectly tuned high note and then Glenn brings the axe down on the bass solo right in the middle.

2010, Rolling Stone magazine listed this at #195 on their "500 Greatest Songs of All Time".  It has been referred to as "the first existential country song".  Selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the National Recording Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

The strings hit such a perfectly tuned high note and then Glenn brings the axe down on the bass solo right in the middle.
Written by a great songwriter, Jimmy Webb, who had a few collaborations with Campbell (Webb also a couple classics sung by Art Garfunkel).

Never a huge country fan but I always had my handful of favorites.  Cash, Nelson,  and of course Mr. Campbell.

#88  I'm So Tired - The Beatles

One of John's favorite Beatle tracks.  Written while in India when John was still married to Cynthia but pining for Yoko.

Yoko's postcards to Lennon in India were a lifeline. "I got so excited about her letters," he said. "I started thinking of her as a woman, and not just an intellectual woman." 

John routinely ripped Beatle tunes after they broke up but since this was about Yoko he liked this one:

"One of my favourite tracks. I just like the sound of it, and I sing it well".

Never a huge country fan but I always had my handful of favorites.  Cash, Nelson,  and of course Mr. Campbell.
Glen Campbell wasn't really country back then - he fit in with that genre, but he really started the cross over.  He wasn't alone ...but with the TV show and all.  

Back in the late 60s country was REALLY country ...and there was ZERO crossover.  

Country wasn't cool unless you were really country.  

#88  I'm So Tired - The Beatles

One of John's favorite Beatle tracks.  Written while in India when John was still married to Cynthia but pining for Yoko.

Yoko's postcards to Lennon in India were a lifeline. "I got so excited about her letters," he said. "I started thinking of her as a woman, and not just an intellectual woman." 

John routinely ripped Beatle tunes after they broke up but since this was about Yoko he liked this one:

"One of my favourite tracks. I just like the sound of it, and I sing it well".
The White Album counting for your criteria is gonna free up a LOT of stuff for me. 

By extending the date criteria, I would have figured this would be much, much higher. Such a fantastic song. Glenn’s bass solo is indeed great - IIRC he borrowed the bass from Carol Kaye, who plays the opening bass intro.

This was something new and Graham knew the moment it happened..

The creation of one of the most if not thee most beautiful blended three part harmony in rock history.

#87  You Don't Have To Cry - Crosby, Stills, and Nash

From Johnny Rogan's book The Complete Guide To The Music of CSN&Y, it was at Joni Mitchell's Laurel Canyon home, located in Los Angeles' Hollywood Hills: "It was played during an impromptu singing session in Laurel Canyon. Nash witnessed the starting vocal bleb and songwriting power of the Crosby & Stills partnership. After listening to this song, he asked them to play the tune once more, then added a high harmony much to the amazement of everyone present."

Graham Nash agrees: "David and I believe that it was in Joni Mitchell's living room that we first sang together. Stephen and David wanted to show me a song that they had worked on in two part harmony. The song was 'You Don't Have to Cry' written by Stephen. They sang it once, I asked them to sing it again, they sang it a second time, I asked for another performance. On the third attempt I put my high harmony on and it sounded awesome. I knew in my heart that this was something I wanted to do for the next few years. The musical, social aspect of combining these three voices with the words that we had come up with was very exciting to all three of us. We knew that we could sing, that the sound was unique and that what we had to say was worth saying. And here we are 30 years later still doing it with all the energy of teen-agers!"

Cocker famously covered a Beatles classic.

#86  She Came In Through The Bathroom Window - Joe Cocker

The song is about the 'Apple Scruffs' as Paul McCartney called fans who hung out around the Abbey Road studios and his house.  One of them spied a ladder in Paul's backyard and climbed the wall then entered his home.  She opened the door to other Apple Scuffs who ransacked Paul's house for souvenirs.

We were bored, he was out and so we decided to pay him a visit. We found a ladder in his garden and stuck it up at the bathroom window which he'd left slightly open. I was the one who climbed up and got in.

— Diane Ashley

Paul was able to recover an item or two and appealed for a painting that was never returned but he used the experience to write a great tune.

Cocker famously covered a Beatles classic.

#86  She Came In Through The Bathroom Window - Joe Cocker

The song is about the 'Apple Scruffs' as Paul McCartney called fans who hung out around the Abbey Road studios and his house.  One of them spied a ladder in Paul's backyard and climbed the wall then entered his home.  She opened the door to other Apple Scuffs who ransacked Paul's house for souvenirs.

We were bored, he was out and so we decided to pay him a visit. We found a ladder in his garden and stuck it up at the bathroom window which he'd left slightly open. I was the one who climbed up and got in.

— Diane Ashley

Paul was able to recover an item or two and appealed for a painting that was never returned but he used the experience to write a great tune.
Personally like this better than the original

#84  Black Mountain Side - Led Zeppelin

Lifted from a traditional Irish folk song called "Down by Blackwaterside". 

Like this one as it has a Mid Eastern flavor and during the session Page overdubbed the guitar to make it sound like a sitar.

"I used a special tuning for that; the low string down to B, then A, D, G, A, and D. It's like a modal tuning, a sitar tuning, in fact."
Jimmy Page is great but he certainly copied Bert Jansch's arrangement and never gave credit.  

#82  Mother Nature's Son - The Beatles

This song was inspired by Nat King Cole's Nature Boy

Simple song but I always loved Nat King Cole and Nature Boy.  A room mate in college hated it which made me love it even more.  I think he hated it because of the backstory to the composer which I found interesting.

This guy showed up on King's doorstep with the song.  Instead of throwing him out Nat took him in and made a hit record.

George Alexander Aberle, known as eden ahbez, was an American songwriter and recording artist of the 1940s to 1960s, whose lifestyle in California was influential in the hippie movement. He was known to friends simply as ahbe.

Ahbez composed the song "Nature Boy", which became a No. 1 hit for eight weeks in 1948 for Nat "King" Cole. Living a bucolic life from at least the 1940s, he traveled in sandals and wore shoulder-length hair and beard, and white robes. He camped out below the first L in the Hollywood Sign above Los Angeles and studied Oriental mysticism. He slept outdoors with his family and ate vegetables, fruits, and nuts. He claimed to live on three dollars per week.

Users who are viewing this thread