Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

January 6th - what will happen?

1 hour ago, The General said:

It does seem that way.

It's really more of ignoring the Insurrection of the left and complaining about the Insurrection of the right. Seems a bit hypocritical, no?

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The President told MAGA to do it MAGA said they were going to do it MAGA filmed themselves doing it Afterwards, MAGA bragged about it Clearly, it was ANTIFA’s fault

One is an ugly, decrepit wasteland ruled by an assortment of villains hoping to impose their will on peace-loving people everywhere who otherwise just want to be left alone to tend to their gardens.

So they're finally following the CDC guidelines for the pandemic?

2 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Except none of that is true. Unless, of course, you listen to the race hustlers.

I listen to the people on both sides.  The Trumper Right claims they are being persecuted by an unfair society/government; that there is a "two tiered justice system(Hannity quote)" that doesn't benefit them and that the government actively works to hold them back......but when Blacks try to claim that, they say that isn't true and instead run schrick that blacks are being manipulated by race hustlers who are simply looking to divide for their own gain.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 2
3 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

I listen to the people on both sides.  The Trumper Right claims they are being persecuted by an unfair society/government; that there is a "two tiered justice system(Hannity quote)" that doesn't benefit them and that the government actively works to hold them back......but when Blacks try to claim that, they say that isn't true and instead run schrick that blacks are being manipulated by race hustlers who are simply looking to divide for their own gain.  

Well said. 

15 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

As opposed to the other side's insurrection? The only ones deflecting are you

:shrug: 

Don't know how many times people around here need to say they aren't down with the violence and looting.   So, a large portion aren't down with it in general around here, but a small portion seem to be OK with what happened on the 6th, but not the other types of violence.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BladeRunner said:

It's really more of ignoring the Insurrection of the left and complaining about the Insurrection of the right. Seems a bit hypocritical, no?

No. The BLM thread is down the hall. Pages long.

12 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

Pro-Tip: Maybe you should clean up your own side before you start pointing fingers.

Says the other side of the EXACT same coin :lol: 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

As a member of the Centrist, Establisment Cabal, I'm actually pretty glad that the Trumper mantra towards the ideals/goals of the Black Lives Movement is so hostile.  Imagine if they took the time to realize "Yes...these people who have been complaining about a government/society that has two sets of rules and who fear persecution and aggression from shadowy power brokers and their enforcers actually might have a point.  I should actually listen to them".  

Can't disagree here at all except I'd probably say they are willing to listen but aren't really interested in DOING anything about it, but the other way sells better to "blue collar middle Americans", or so they think.

Edited by The Commish
47 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

He already answered their prayer about showing the fraud - it’s just they decided to vote for it in 2016 and 2020.  Thankfully those type of churches are trending on the way out.

Thats not a church, that’s a state senator.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

Again, none of that is true.

• Laughing 1
4 hours ago, The Commish said:

Can't disagree here at all except I'd probably say they are willing to listen but aren't really interested in DOING anything about it, but the other way sells better to "blue collar middle Americans", or so they think.

If they were remotely interested in doing something about it....that could have been a huge shift in the political landscape.  Say what you will about Trump.....but there was resonance amongst aspects of the black community with him/his cult of personality.  His "What do you have to lose?" question to them was smart.  As it is, I think the Republicans ( and more importantly; the rhetoric of Trumper Republicans) have eroded any interest in listening to the Republican message.

And that's the funny thing about (by and large/generalization here) many blacks in this country.  Core components of the Rights message resonates with them (I always come back to that Blackish episode where the kids are interviewing Dre's mother about politics and despite her ADAMENTLY being a Democrat...she agrees and wants almost all of Trumps core political platform).  It's just their messenger has been seen as more untrustworthy than the Lefts messenger.  

17 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

Sounds like they were armed:

Guy Reffitt was blunt: “I did bring a weapon on property that we own. Federal grounds or not. The law is written, but it doesn’t mean it’s right law. The people that were around me were all carrying too.”

2 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

If they were remotely interested in doing something about it....that could have been a huge shift in the political landscape.  Say what you will about Trump.....but there was resonance amongst aspects of the black community with him/his cult of personality.  His "What do you have to lose?" question to them was smart.  As it is, I think the Republicans ( and more importantly; the rhetoric of Trumper Republicans) have eroded any interest in listening to the Republican message.

And that's the funny thing about (by and large/generalization here) many blacks in this country.  Core components of the Rights message resonates with them (I always come back to that Blackish episode where the kids are interviewing Dre's mother about politics and despite her ADAMENTLY being a Democrat...she agrees and wants almost all of Trumps core political platform).  It's just their messenger has been seen as more untrustworthy than the Lefts messenger.  

Perhaps.  Though I can't count how many times I've talked with people in the basic finances classes we did for anyone wanting to learn who said that they really were voting for the person who they thought would screw them over less with their policies....especially black people.  There was no real trust in doing the right thing.  It was only betting on who was going to screw them less, so I'm not confident that the rhetoric matters as much as the action.  We know there was but one bill of any meaningful action passed during Trump's 4 years and that was to rich people and business.  I don't get the sense any black person would believe he was there for them based on that.

44 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

“January 6th was nothing short of a satirical way to overthrow a government,” said the letter, written by hand on yellow lined paper.

Like Trump, using the excuse "it was a joke".   Just let them all off the hook, like Trump was right?

9 minutes ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

“January 6th was nothing short of a satirical way to overthrow a government,” said the letter, written by hand on yellow lined paper.

Like Trump, using the excuse "it was a joke".   Just let them all off the hook, like Trump was right?

Just some light fun and games, nothing serious.

In August, Reffitt drove to a BLM demonstration in Mississippi, hoping to surveil a particular activist. The family said that Reffitt intended to place a GPS tracking device on the man’s car. He abandoned the plan when he wasn’t sure he had the right vehicle.

Nicole Reffitt said she was alarmed when she found multiple license plates in the bed of her husband’s pickup truck. She said her husband told her he used them to make sure he wasn’t being tracked. “I was like, ‘What the <blank>? What are we doing?’” she said. “He told me to go to work and keep my business to myself.”

After then-President Donald Trump lost his bid for reelection, Guy Reffitt began to sequester himself in the front room of his suburban brick home, glued to Newsmax as it reported theories of how the vote was rigged.

On Dec. 19, Reffitt found a new obsession, his family said, when Trump tweeted: “Big protest in D.C. on January 6th. Be there, will be wild!”

From then on, Reffitt’s texts bounced between plans for shopping and cooking prime rib for Christmas and talk of going to D.C. to “shock the world.”

“It’s the government that is going to be destroyed in this fight,” Reffitt texted his family on Dec. 21. “Congress has made fatal mistakes this time.”

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

Just some light fun and games, nothing serious.

In August, Reffitt drove to a BLM demonstration in Mississippi, hoping to surveil a particular activist. The family said that Reffitt intended to place a GPS tracking device on the man’s car. He abandoned the plan when he wasn’t sure he had the right vehicle.

Nicole Reffitt said she was alarmed when she found multiple license plates in the bed of her husband’s pickup truck. She said her husband told her he used them to make sure he wasn’t being tracked. “I was like, ‘What the <blank>? What are we doing?’” she said. “He told me to go to work and keep my business to myself.”

After then-President Donald Trump lost his bid for reelection, Guy Reffitt began to sequester himself in the front room of his suburban brick home, glued to Newsmax as it reported theories of how the vote was rigged.

On Dec. 19, Reffitt found a new obsession, his family said, when Trump tweeted: “Big protest in D.C. on January 6th. Be there, will be wild!”

From then on, Reffitt’s texts bounced between plans for shopping and cooking prime rib for Christmas and talk of going to D.C. to “shock the world.”

“It’s the government that is going to be destroyed in this fight,” Reffitt texted his family on Dec. 21. “Congress has made fatal mistakes this time.”

Sad if it wasn't so treasonous.  I think most of the guys on this site are just schticking/trolling....but it's sad to see that there are people out there who really believed he was a Messiah like POTUS.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

Oh boy, which FBG is this:(

Kidding, would hope and pray nobody here would do something like this. 

Edited by 2Squirrels1Nut
  • Laughing 2
1 minute ago, Witz said:
31 minutes ago, zoonation said:

7 years in federal prison, no parole

I am never taking a tour of the Capitol.  You can do some serious hard time for being on one of those tours.

Edit: This is the offer.  He has not accepted it.  

Peaceful protest. 

That's a lot for horsing around...

This is their attempt to throw the 'peaceful protests' of this summer back in the left's face. They know what happened on Jan 6th but it's a game - the left refuses to address the violence of the protests in the cities so the right will return fire so the left can feel their frustration.  It's childish but this is politics today.  Don't let it rile you up; that's the intended goal.  

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

This is their attempt to throw the 'peaceful protests' of this summer back in the left's face. They know what happened on Jan 6th but it's a game - the left refuses to address the violence of the protests in the cities so the right will return fire so the left can feel their frustration.  It's childish but this is politics today.  Don't let it rile you up; that's the intended goal.  

The protests of the summer had added tension when alt-right counter protesters began showing up all over the country. Jan 6 the counter protestors stayed home because anyone could see the trouble coming a mile away. 

After watching the video of officer Fanone being attacked I’d like to point out that there were lots of good people caught up in the mayhem. Thankfully, some reasonable people helped him get back into the complex and out of harms way, while several people said things like “we’re better than this!” It’s unfortunate that in both the summer and the “stop the steal” protests there were a lot of well meaning people roped into the actions of a large group of knuckleheads. 

It amazes me how grossly hypocritical the left can be without realizing it.   I read articles on this topic and they treat their false narrative of a deadly armed insurrection as gospel fact.  I get more sickened by the left by the day.  We are headed for a war and it is purely on the political bigotry spewed by the left.  

• Love 1
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

It amazes me how grossly hypocritical the left can be without realizing it.   I read articles on this topic and they treat their false narrative of a deadly armed insurrection as gospel fact.  I get more sickened by the left by the day.  We are headed for a war and it is purely on the political bigotry spewed by the left.  

Peaceful protest, uh?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Witz said:

Peaceful protest, uh?

Well, to be fair, if the BLM/Antifa insurrections were described as "mostly peaceful protests" by liberals and the MSM then January 6th - AT MOST - can be called that.  Much more violence, death, arson and brutality than January 6th ever had.

Edited by BladeRunner
31 minutes ago, Witz said:

Peaceful protest, uh?

That is why people on the right hate the media.  It is absurd to characterize protests which resulted in over $2 billion in damages and dozens of killings as peaceful but characterize a few thousand in damages and no killings (except the police execution of an unarmed female) as an armed deadly insureaction.  

1 hour ago, jon_mx said:

:oldunsure:

I think a couple of you need to get out out your bunkers and actually converse with people IRL.    These types of posts and the equating a large group of people together (that don't hold the same views) are troublesome, and surprisingly tolerated around here.   I really dislike the people who stormed the capital and their ilk, but I don't think that represents "the right" or how all conservatives think.   Same goes for the "the left".   

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jon_mx said:

You use the bolded word more frequently than anyone I know. You shouldn’t allow your political opposition (whether real or imagined) to draw you to such a negative place or to invoke feelings of “hate” as you expressed toward the media in a subsequent post. There is a lot of joy and beauty and humanity in the world. I have a lot of love for people across the political spectrum who, by and large, are good people. Continuously demonizing “the left” or “the right” as a generalized group is not only counter-productive, I think the continued negativity can harm the soul.  That’s not to say that when a particular person, regardless of political affiliation, does something despicable or dishonest, that he or she should not be called out. By all means, please proceed. But continuously demonizing entire groups of people simply because of their political affiliation is what is making our society less joyous, less beautiful and exemplified by a bit less humanity. 

And I imagine that you would consider responding to the above by calling me a hypocrite for not making the same observation about those on “the left.”  It’s a common refrain in your posts. And you’d be right to observe that my statements above are equally applicable to those who cast similar aspersions towards “the right.”  But the reason why I’m responding to your post is that, in my opinion, there is no poster on this forum that uses the level of visceral language you do to express absolute disgust towards your political opponents as a generalized group. 

I think we can all work together to avoid the war you predict, and respectfully, I think we can start by toning down our expressions of disgust towards each other. Not only is it unwarranted, it’s unhealthy.  

I hope you can accept me sharing my thoughts above in the spirit they are intended. I assure you that my intentions are good. Thanks. 

• Like 5
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

Well, to be fair, if the BLM/Antifa insurrections were described as "mostly peaceful protests" by liberals and the MSM then January 6th - AT MOST - can be called that.  Much more violence, death, arson and brutality than January 6th ever had.

I agree that Jan. 6 was mostly a peaceful protest when you take into account everyone that was there. 

1 minute ago, bigbottom said:

I agree that Jan. 6 was mostly a peaceful protest when you take into account everyone that was there. 

Most agree with you. The two situations are very similar in that regard. A tiny minority of troublemakers make trouble, and that's all we talk about. Not the anger or frustration of the majority,  but the violence and destruction perpetrated by a highly maladjusted few.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Herb said:

Most agree with you. The two situations are very similar in that regard. A tiny minority of troublemakers make trouble, and that's all we talk about. Not the anger or frustration of the majority,  but the violence and destruction perpetrated by a highly maladjusted few.

100% agree that there are similarities.   The big differences being what they were mad about, who was leading them, and where they broke into.   

I don't think many around here are not condoning the violence in both cases, so the squabble is about the other details.  

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

You use the bolded word more frequently than anyone I know. You shouldn’t allow your political opposition (whether real or imagined) to draw you to such a negative place or to invoke feelings of “hate” as you expressed toward the media in a subsequent post. There is a lot of joy and beauty and humanity in the world. I have a lot of love for people across the political spectrum who, by and large, are good people. Continuously demonizing “the left” or “the right” as a generalized group is not only counter-productive, I think the continued negativity can harm the soul.  That’s not to say that when a particular person, regardless of political affiliation, does something despicable or dishonest, that he or she should not be called out. By all means, please proceed. But continuously demonizing entire groups of people simply because of their political affiliation is what is making our society less joyous, less beautiful and exemplified by a bit less humanity. 

And I imagine that you would consider responding to the above by calling me a hypocrite for not making the same observation about those on “the left.”  It’s a common refrain in your posts. And you’d be right to observe that my statements above are equally applicable to those who cast similar aspersions towards “the right.”  But the reason why I’m responding to your post is that, in my opinion, there is no poster on this forum that uses the level of visceral language you do to express absolute disgust towards your political opponents as a generalized group. 

I think we can all work together to avoid the war you predict, and respectfully, I think we can start by toning down our expressions of disgust towards each other. Not only is it unwarranted, it’s unhealthy.  

I hope you can accept me sharing my thoughts above in the spirit they are intended. I assure you that my intentions are good. Thanks. 

Fantastically worded post, BB.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jon_mx said:

That is why people on the right hate the media.  It is absurd to characterize protests which resulted in over $2 billion in damages and dozens of killings as peaceful but characterize a few thousand in damages and no killings (except the police execution of an unarmed female) as an armed deadly insureaction.  

No one is taking about the BLM protests - what is being talked about is the rights continued references of the capital insurrection as peaceful or similar to a guided tour. Neither is true. 

They literally breached the building as the electoral votes were in the process of being counted - the votes that were part of the determination of the next president. 

Just because that group didn’t go in guns blazing doesn’t make it any less of a crime against our government. 

If folks can’t see how this was much more than just a few thousand dollars of damage but an attack on the sacred institution of our government - well unfortunately there is nothing more to say. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, jon_mx said:

It amazes me how grossly hypocritical the left can be without realizing it.   

With Liz the GOP just told the left to hold my beer.  

The hypocrisy river runs wide and deep thought the halls of Congress.  

3 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

I’m not saying I agree with the verbiage of those protests either but tomato/tomatoe. What happened on Jan 6 was an assault on our on government - it’s a completely different animal and it’s a shame that a comparison continues to try to be made between the two.

Not saying you specifically but is it so hard for  those on the right to say - we support Trump and while there were a large number of peaceful Trump supporters there on Jan 6 (exercising their right to protest) there were a number of other Trump supporters that went overboard and crossed the line in attempting to disrupt those governmental proceedings and that they were wrong?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, bigbottom said:

I appreciate your viewpoint and you make good points.  But my frustration is everyday I see an arsenal of the big tech companies, the media and democratic politicians demonizing white people and blaming them for virtually everything.  Look at just today for instance, we had the one of the most powerful men in the land, Maverick Garland spewing rhetoric on how white supremacy is growing and how it is the biggest threat to our democracy.  I see Facebook censoring memes that simply suggest if our pipelines can get hacked why can't our elections.  I see news organizations mocking the suggestions it was a tourist visit for most of the Jan 6th protestors.  And they have a point that that is an over the top characterization, but they go a lot farther and state their spin that it was a deadly armed insurrection with threatened our democracy is fact while everything conservatives say about it are revisionist lies.  

It is just too much of this messaging which is a daily theme being beaten into our brains from every direction.  This propaganda that white supremacy is common, that instutionalized racism is the root of all evil, that anything that suggest otherwise must be censored....these are mainstream leftist ideas which has overtaken mainstream news, has over taken our educational institutions, has overtaken virtually all the social media platforms, which has got a firm grip on our sports leagues....it is way way way too much and it is leading to society that treats whites as less than human.  White people must just shut up and just take the abuse.  

1 hour ago, jon_mx said:

I appreciate your viewpoint and you make good points.  But my frustration is everyday I see an arsenal of the big tech companies, the media and democratic politicians demonizing white people and blaming them for virtually everything.  Look at just today for instance, we had the one of the most powerful men in the land, Maverick Garland spewing rhetoric on how white supremacy is growing and how it is the biggest threat to our democracy.  I see Facebook censoring memes that simply suggest if our pipelines can get hacked why can't our elections.  I see news organizations mocking the suggestions it was a tourist visit for most of the Jan 6th protestors.  And they have a point that that is an over the top characterization, but they go a lot farther and state their spin that it was a deadly armed insurrection with threatened our democracy is fact while everything conservatives say about it are revisionist lies.  

It is just too much of this messaging which is a daily theme being beaten into our brains from every direction.  This propaganda that white supremacy is common, that instutionalized racism is the root of all evil, that anything that suggest otherwise must be censored....these are mainstream leftist ideas which has overtaken mainstream news, has over taken our educational institutions, has overtaken virtually all the social media platforms, which has got a firm grip on our sports leagues....it is way way way too much and it is leading to society that treats whites as less than human.  White people must just shut up and just take the abuse.  

This might be the most out of touch, tone deaf post I’ve ever  read on this site. “Treating whites as less than human “?? Live one day in a black, gay, or trans persons shoes. Better yet, just listen to any of these folks and the stories they have to tell and the injustices they have to live through every single day. What abuse are you taking as a white man? What challenges and hardships are you facing on a day-to-day basis? What rights and basic freedoms are you struggling with every day?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

This is the guy who said something along the lines of the war against the white man in the US is the biggest threat this country is facing right now. I'm not sure tone deaf has enough space under it's umbrella to cover everything going on there. It's a little mind-blowing.

Edited by Apple Jack
  • Like 4
On 5/12/2021 at 8:23 PM, zoonation said:

7 years in federal prison, no parole

I am never taking a tour of the Capitol.  You can do some serious hard time for being on one of those tours.

Edit: This is the offer.  He has not accepted it.  

Not sure if you've ever visited the US Capitol, but it is a pretty security intensive place even in normal times.  The White House is worse. They are not messing around at most federal sites.

At least the Capitol is actually cool, particularly if you get into the galleries and go over to the Library of Congress IMO.

1 hour ago, jon_mx said:

I know I've said this a few times, but maybe it's time for some people to take a deep breath and disconnect.  These aren't mainstream ideas, these are ideas of a few people.  That you say it's beaten into your brain directly reflect choices you are making.  

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, McFly said:

This might be the most out of touch, tone deaf post I’ve ever  read on this site. “Treating whites as less than human “?? Live one day in a black, gay, or trans persons shoes. Better yet, just listen to any of these folks and the stories they have to tell and the injustices they have to live through every single day. What abuse are you taking as a white man? What challenges and hardships are you facing on a day-to-day basis? What rights and basic freedoms are you struggling with every day?

Out of touch?  Interesting what is considered out of touch by leftists.  You could put my entire quote up and a majority of white people would agree with it.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/08/07/white-people-are-winning-the-war-on-whites/

A 2012 survey by the Public Religion Research Institute found that an astonishing two-thirds of Republicans agreed that "today discrimination against whites has become as big a problem as discrimination against blacks and other minorities."

Edited by jon_mx
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, jon_mx said:

Out of touch?  Interesting what is considered out of touch by leftists.  You could put my entire quote up and a majority of white people would agree with it.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/08/07/white-people-are-winning-the-war-on-whites/

A 2012 survey by the Public Religion Research Institute found that an astonishing two-thirds of Republicans agreed that "today discrimination against whites has become as big a problem as discrimination against blacks and other minorities."

Huh.  I certainly don't feel discriminated against as a white man. 

IIRC, FBG is mostly white, middle-aged men.  Perhaps we should set up a poll to see if discrimination against whites is a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1