What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6th - what will happen? (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to 'get' the Confederate cultural heritage stuff and I wish I were more empathetic to it but I can't move past the basic understanding that the Confederacy waged war against the United States, that is, tried to break the UNITED states mainly because of disallowing slavery. I just can't and I'm normally a fan of tradition and custom.

Grace Under Pressure said:
Of course he opposes the inquiry. He called Donald Trump on the phone on 1/6 to tell him to call off the insurrecting mob, and was told (paraphrasing) that "they must want it more than you do Kevin." He likely would be subpoenaed and have to testify about this under oath.  
I don't think that's it. He'd just lie. This is about his political future and he thinks he needs Trump to have one.

I want to 'get' the Confederate cultural heritage stuff and I wish I were more empathetic to it but I can't move past the basic understanding that the Confederacy waged war against the United States, that is, tried to break the UNITED states mainly because of disallowing slavery. I just can't and I'm normally a fan of tradition and custom.
I can answer this - at least from my experience.  The Confederate flag stuff has two main groups - those who use it for racist/white supremacy purposes and those who are proud of being from the South.  For the latter, think of the SEC honks chanting SEC!  Just like there’s pride in being an American in some groups and with some people there’s pride in being a Southerner.  Things like GRITS (Girl Raised in The South), Southern by the grace of God and the like.  Some of the people who wear the flag or fly it don’t know anything about the Confederacy, have never had a discussion with an African American about how it makes them feel and honestly in many cases don’t care to learn - they are proud to be a Southerner and don’t want anybody to tell them otherwise.   It’s more complex and messy than that but if you are trying to understand why a person may support Confederate heritage that’s a good place to start.

Note - this is just my explanation based on experience and not a justification for any of it.  My personal take is I have no problem with someone being proud of being a Southerner - I’m a Southerner and proud of it.  But you are responsible for educating yourself and being aware of how things make others feel and react appropriately.

I can answer this - at least from my experience.  The Confederate flag stuff has two main groups - those who use it for racist/white supremacy purposes and those who are proud of being from the South.  For the latter, think of the SEC honks chanting SEC!  Just like there’s pride in being an American in some groups and with some people there’s pride in being a Southerner.  Things like GRITS (Girl Raised in The South), Southern by the grace of God and the like.  Some of the people who wear the flag or fly it don’t know anything about the Confederacy, have never had a discussion with an African American about how it makes them feel and honestly in many cases don’t care to learn - they are proud to be a Southerner and don’t want anybody to tell them otherwise.   It’s more complex and messy than that but if you are trying to understand why a person may support Confederate heritage that’s a good place to start.

Note - this is just my explanation based on experience and not a justification for any of it.  My personal take is I have no problem with someone being proud of being a Southerner - I’m a Southerner and proud of it.  But you are responsible for educating yourself and being aware of how things make others feel and react appropriately.
I have no issue with being proud to be a southerner. I am proud of where I am from as well. I would think there are other ways to show your southern pride than to fly a flag that represents an attack on the United States and our history of slavery. If there are well-intentioned people flying it, it purely out of ignorance. 

They weren't just there to try to overturn the election, they were also raging against Ross lobbying for a non-white girlfriend on Friends.

Is there really much difference between these two groups? 
It is a weird concept that the left believes whites must be ashamed of their culture or they are racists.  Everyone else gets to be proud of their culture and celebrate it.  But no, whites must be ashamed, we must tear them down and accuse them of being evil.  This mindset is disturbing, divisive and hateful and a huge contributor to the unrest in this country.  Tear down their leaders, tear down their religion, cleans the history books of positive contributions.  This is not the path to a unified healthy country where all people respect each other.  

It is a weird concept that the left believes whites must be ashamed of their culture or they are racists.  Everyone else gets to be proud of their culture and celebrate it.  But no, whites must be ashamed, we must tear them down and accuse them of being evil.  This mindset is disturbing, divisive and hateful and a huge contributor to the unrest in this country.  Tear down their leaders, tear down their religion, cleans the history books of positive contributions.  This is not the path to a unified healthy country where all people respect each other.  
What culture are you referring to?

"the left" does not believe this.  :lmao:   

What culture are you referring to?
Probably a mixture of heritage and culture to be more accurate.  But we are supposed to be ashamed of our racist constitution and our slave-owning founding fathers and ignore the brilliance and the freedom it has spurred around the world.   Shoot, even Lincoln is under attack by some.  Alll our inventions and success we are told is stolen from or on the backs of minorities.  No matter how poor or how many obstacles whites have overcome, white privilege is what defines whites.  We are taking down statues, removing names from institutions and schools, cleansing the history books.   

"the left" does not believe this.  :lmao:   
Then who are these mysterious people who are taking down statues, rewriting history, shaming whites.....sure seems like all of this is coming from the left.  Doesn't mean all leftist, but certainly this is where it is coming from.  But please, avoid the point and deflect by being offended and mocking it.  

Probably a mixture of heritage and culture to be more accurate.  But we are supposed to be ashamed of our racist constitution and our slave-owning founding fathers and ignore the brilliance and the freedom it has spurred around the world.   Shoot, even Lincoln is under attack by some.  Alll our inventions and success we are told is stolen from or on the backs of minorities.  No matter how poor or how many obstacles whites have overcome, white privilege is what defines whites.  We are taking down statues, removing names from institutions and schools, cleansing the history books.   
I have come to the conclusion that schools should only be named for teachers. Namaste.

I don't think acknowledging the ####ty parts of the evolution of this country is a bad thing. Summarily celebrating anything that complicated is foolish. Then again, very little of my identity has anything to do with being "American!" It's a construct that will always elude me. And some inventions and successes were stolen from or built on the backs of minorities. I don't know about all. And if you can't get out of yourself enough to be aware of white privilege in this country, I don't know what to tell you.

Then who are these mysterious people who are taking down statues, rewriting history, shaming whites.....sure seems like all of this is coming from the left.  Doesn't mean all leftist, but certainly this is where it is coming from.  But please, avoid the point and deflect by being offended and mocking it.  
Like what?

Should we be honoring people who took up arms - and lost -  against the country?

The confederate "heroes" tried to overthrow this great country that many profess to love.

And, I think by "cleansing" the history books you mean "more accurately" portraying events as they happened.

We have a complicated history - its not all good, and its not all bad.  But, we should not be afraid to take a look at both.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me the people who want to rewrite history are those who want to ignore the bad parts. So some of our founding fathers were slave owners - should that be forgotten? Should they continue to be honored even if that greatly offends a major portion of our citizens? 

It’s funny to post about rewriting history in this thread. 

Nobody is rewriting history

then maybe stop posting that "the left" is doing things.  

yes, there is % on the left doing those things.  

just find it hypocritical that I hear that Conservatives are frustrated with they think is being painted as a wide brush- bigots, racists, etc.   but then I see a ton of that lobbed at the other side.  

Who's doing that? 
Louisiana State Rep. Ray Garafalo, "If you're teaching, if you're having a discussion on, whatever the case may be, on slavery, and you can talk about everything dealing with slavery. The good, the bad, the ugly, the whole ..."

Then he tried to walk it back when he got laughed at. He also proposes to "Prohibit discussion of divisive concepts as part of a larger course of academic instruction."

then maybe stop posting that "the left" is doing things.  

yes, there is % on the left doing those things.  

just find it hypocritical that I hear that Conservatives are frustrated with they think is being painted as a wide brush- bigots, racists, etc.   but then I see a ton of that lobbed at the other side.  
If you can not talk generally what these groups stand for, then the terms are useless.  This anti-white wokeness is major part of the fabric which makes up the left. In fact it is the number 1 focus of the media and big tech censorship.  

If you can not talk generally what these groups stand for, then the terms are useless.  This anti-white wokeness is major part of the fabric which makes up the left. In fact it is the number 1 focus of the media and big tech censorship.  
It's not anti-white. It is hey stupid white people, snap out of your delusional fantasies and join the rest of the world. Just the stupid white people. Stupid being the important word there. There are stupid people of all stripes. Stupid white people in the US are a special breed though.

Last edited by a moderator:
We all watched what happened on 1/6. If it weren't for those pesky TV cameras everywhere, the social media posts from the traitors themselves, attempts to whitewash 1/6 might actually work. Problem is we did all see it live, including the run-up to it for weeks. Frankly trying to re-write or whitewash the history of 1/6 is traitorous itself. Those people tried, it didn't work, now it's time to face the consequences. The focus should begin with Donald Trump. 

What's white culture?

Asked by a guy who regularly attends, celebrates and enjoys people celebrating German, Polish, Greek, Italian and Irish parades, festivals and events.

Explain "white" culture.  

It's not anti-white. It is hey stupid white people, snap out of your delusional fantasies and join the rest of the world. Just the stupid white people. Stupid being the important word there. There are stupid people of all stripes. Stupid white people in the US are a special breed though.
lol....yep, stupid white people with all their privilege.  The left in this country has no empathy towards whites.  Really treat them as subhuman. 

BTW, the rest of the world is a lot more racist than the US.   We live in by far the most integrated society in the world, which is why the tensions are higher.  Europeans can get away with being racist jerks far more than Americans can because the vast majority of people here are intolerant of racism.  

lol....yep, stupid white people with all their privilege.  The left in this country has no empathy towards whites.  Really treat them as subhuman. 

BTW, the rest of the world is a lot more racist than the US.   We live in by far the most integrated society in the world, which is why the tensions are higher.  Europeans can get away with being racist jerks far more than Americans can because the vast majority of people here are intolerant of racism.  
Other people's suck doesn't make our suck suck less.

Wonder bread, twizzlers, twinkies, and Kix cereal.
It's something that's always confused me....coming from the East Coast Megaopolis; where ethnicty is celebrated amongst large swaths of people.   I'd hear people talk "white" culture and oftentimes, when asked about it; two narratives would come forth. 1) White culture is synonomous with American culture or 2) the concept of white culture was seen as a unifiying type of message/statement for Caucasians to throw back at minority cultures.  Either way, it's not very good.  

Other people's suck doesn't make our suck suck less.
Unfortunately there is suckiness on both sides.  You don't solve suckiness between races by demonizing and belitting people because of their race.  We are in an endless loop of suckiness.

Brief History of White People in the US

White people came to America and built colonies.

White people built towns and roads and schools; they farmed and fished, set up banks and shipping companies. White people begat more white people which required more and more space.

White people at times acquired  more space by conquering and destroying societies of non-white people that were in place where and when the white people wanted to expand.

White people appropriated a cheap labor pool of non-white people from Africa and proceeded to subjugate those people as if taming farm animals.

White people created a system of government which purports to allow individual freedom to all peoples. 

White people determined and codified that non-white people were not as valuable as white people.

White people attacked the system of government which purports to allow individual freedom to all peoples.

White people also repelled the attacks against their system of government and by so doing lent support to the right of non-white people to claim equality of worth.

White people and non-white people continue to press forward together to align their worth and freedoms.

White people have done many, many things throughout the history of the US, no reason not to acknowledge all of it no matter if it shows white people on a good light or not.

False narratives need to be rewritten.  The way the January 6th events were mischaracterize and reported by the media is criminal.  
I guess you are in support of a bipartisan congressional committee to investigate the violence committed on January 6....

False narratives need to be rewritten.  The way the January 6th events were mischaracterize and reported by the media is criminal.  
Raw, unfiltered reactions from Republicans:

Sen. Lindsey Graham expressed his disgust on the Senate floor: “Trump and I, we had a hell of a journey. I hate it being this way . . . but today all I can say is count me out. Enough is enough. I tried to be helpful.” 

Sen. Mitch McConnell said Trump provoked the mob by feeding them lies, and signaled that he might be open to impeachment.

Rep. Kevin McCarthy said Trump was responsible for the storming of the Capitol, and warned his caucus not to criticize members who voted for impeachment because it might endanger their lives.

National Review published pro-impeachment articles, and the Wall Street Journal called for Trump to resign.

Ten House Republicans, including a sulphuric Liz Cheney, voted to impeach.

Even Ari Fleischer said, “At this point, I won’t defend him anymore. I won’t defend him for stirring the pot that incited the mob. He’s on his own.”

The only difference is Dems haven't flip-flopped.

What an amazing thing to say based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread