What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6th - what will happen? (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abbott is a really interesting case. Up until a couple of years ago, I would have said he talks a crazy game but is basically an old school, country club Republican. But since he’s decided to run in 2024, he’s gone full Trump. 

Very disappointing. 
Is is pretty much DeSantis, though I wouldn't classify any of his talk as "crazy".  There were things I disagreed with, but he wasn't over the top or anything.  All that began to happen after he started getting talked up for President.

Last edited by a moderator:
He just had the most votes ever cast for him so yeah 
That doesn’t really address the point made though.  As its hard to know how many of those were Trump vs any GOP candidate type votes.  And as was pointed out …no, it was not the most votes ever.

He will do whatever Trump tells him to do. Which means he won't participate at all and will punish the Republicans who do.
It will go one of two ways:

1. He nominates no one and then plays it off as a partisan witch hunt.

2. He nominates people like Gaetz who are there only to disrupt the investigation and to delegitimize any findings they make with stunts.

I’m thinking 1 will be the easy choice because in the fact-free world we live in, he can claim that they weren’t allowed to have anyone on the committee.

What do you think happens if they reached members of congress or the VP before they were able to leave the building?
Honestly - Nothing.  I think it was all bluster.

#### would have gotten real, very quickly.  And, I don't think anyone* went there willing to die for the cause.

*Maybe 2-3, but the bulk of the mob was made up of people getting caught up in the moment, without putting any real thought into the consequences.

#### would have gotten real, very quickly.  And, I don't think anyone* went there willing to die for the cause.

*Maybe 2-3, but the bulk of the mob was made up of people getting caught up in the moment, without putting any real thought into the consequences.
Pathetic insurection.

It was a pretty significant event, but I guess I can see it as his parting shot (pun unintended). The whole event was very sad and epitomized just how much work there is needed to heal this country (or at the very least get back to civility) 

If they got close to Pence people were getting shot.

It was a pretty significant event, but I guess I can see it as his parting shot (pun unintended). The whole event was very sad and epitomized just how much work there is needed to heal this country (or at the very least get back to civility) 
I agree it was a significant event.  It was sad and disgusting and hurt the republican party more than anything else  and for years and years.   That being said i think the endless focus on this is just the democrats trying to keep their knee on the republican's throats, and I don't blame them.

I agree it was a significant event.  It was sad and disgusting and hurt the republican party more than anything else  and for years and years.   That being said i think the endless focus on this is just the democrats trying to keep their knee on the republican's throats, and I don't blame them.
Agreed. The leverage game at work.

Yes they would have been shot.   Pence  was in no danger.    Heck from what I've been told around here is that the sight of 500 national guardsmen caused the riot to break up.   

Definitely not an insurrection.     That's clear.
So, not curfew?

To me, it's newsworthy because it is not widely acknowledged as a serious event by a significant number of republicans.  Your statement above is more of an acknowledgement than I have heard from most of Team Right Wing over the past 6 months.  I think that's a problem.  We can not put this behind us as long as some 30% of the population claims this was a matter of a few tourists getting carried away.  For crying out loud, yesterday (day before maybe?) people were claiming that most of the protestors went thru security and had their bags checked.

If we can't universally acknowledge that this was significant, the next event will escalate.

To me, it's newsworthy because it is not widely acknowledged as a serious event by a significant number of republicans.  Your statement above is more of an acknowledgement than I have heard from most of Team Right Wing over the past 6 months.  I think that's a problem.  We can not put this behind us as long as some 30% of the population claims this was a matter of a few tourists getting carried away.  For crying out loud, yesterday (day before maybe?) people were claiming that most of the protestors went thru security and had their bags checked.

If we can't universally acknowledge that this was significant, the next event will escalate.
Oh if the other side has an event like this you can bet Mitch and Jim Jordan will be finding a way to hold multiple hearings over multiple years and I highly doubt they will compare it to a peaceful tour.

Yes they would have been shot.   Pence  was in no danger.    Heck from what I've been told around here is that the sight of 500 national guardsmen caused the riot to break up.   

Definitely not an insurrection.     That's clear.
Attempted insurrection. Based on months of lies by the out going President. This is insane. Do you think it is any less worse because our military and police didn’t have to kill a bunch of citizens?

Incidentally, you are also making Biden’s point the other day that had undies bunched up - all these cosplayers are not overthrowing the government with their guns. 

Well that s your opinion and of course you are entitled to it.  I don't agree with you at all, but that's my opinion.

And by the way.   Couple things..."universally acknowledging" anything is impossible.  Doesn't matter the subject.  So that's out.

Secondly, I'm not entirely sure yet whether the right thinks like you think they do or whether the left is telling you this to further the hold on your mind and your vote...and hope to sway votes on the near future.

I do know one thing, regardless of which is true, there is zero chance most people would be able to know which is true.  The political machine is just that good.  

Remember...You cant trust polls.  Ever.  They are biased and used to deliberately manipulate.  

Attempted insurrection. Based on months of lies by the out going President. This is insane. Do you think it is any less worse because our military and police didn’t have to kill a bunch of citizens?

Incidentally, you are also making Biden’s point the other day that had undies bunched up - all these cosplayers are not overthrowing the government with their guns. 
You saying it over and over again doesn't make it true.

And by the way.   Couple things..."universally acknowledging" anything is impossible.  Doesn't matter the subject.  So that's out.

Secondly, I'm not entirely sure yet whether the right thinks like you think they do or whether the left is telling you this to further the hold on your mind and your vote...and hope to sway votes on the near future.

I do know one thing, regardless of which is true, there is zero chance most people would be able to know which is true.  The political machine is just that good.  

Remember...You cant trust polls.  Ever.  They are biased and used to deliberately manipulate.  
I'm not basing my opinion off of anything other than what is posted in this thread. If you haven't been reading it, feel free to go back and note how impossible it seems for our friends from the right to

(a) not bring up unrelated events like last summers race riots

(b) not downplay the severity

(c) not claim persecution on the basis of political beliefs and/or being white

(d) not push blame to either democrats or the capitol police themselves.

I think this is fair and good summarization of 1/6

I'm not basing my opinion off of anything other than what is posted in this thread. If you haven't been reading it, feel free to go back and note how impossible it seems for our friends from the right to

(a) not bring up unrelated events like last summers race riots

(b) not downplay the severity

(c) not claim persecution on the basis of political beliefs and/or being white

(d) not push blame to either democrats or the capitol police themselves.
You used a number, 30% of the population.   If you're able to get that number simply from going back and reading the posts as you suggest then you sir are pretty doggone impressive. 

You used a number, 30% of the population.   If you're able to get that number simply from going back and reading the posts as you suggest then you sir are pretty doggone impressive. 
:bowtie:  thanks! 

I tell my wife I'm pretty doggone impressive all the time so it's great to get some 3rd party confirmation every now and then.

i think it's more about Trump and his supporters in the government......but I agree with your analysis.  That's the crappy thing about the Republican response.  They could right their ship rather quickly if the same leaders who cowered and cried for help actually had the gravitas to stand up to Trump.  

I'm not so sure. Thought it was pretty frightening as it occurred, but I'm glad this is only a matter of opinion/speculation  :thumbup:  

This whole thing really could have gone completely sideways and we are all lucky that it didn't. If that one dude from Alabama that brought pipe bombs wasn't a complete moron, it could have gone way worse. If any of the police that were severely outnumbered and getting pummeled with bats and flag poles and sprayed with bear spray, retaliated by shooting into the crowd, it could have gone way worse. If that one capitoal police officer didn't trick the mob into following him, and instead they found sitting members of congress being ushered away to safety, it could have gone way worse.

I think I am with this to a point, but think it was more than just a few that meant business or would have done something.  There was an NPR pod today profiling one of the guys - creepy stuff. 

Not sure exactly where it would have gone, but I don't think the 3%ers and Proud Boys were there just to give them a stern talking to.  I don't think you bring body armor/zip ties/bats if you were just going to yell at political leaders.  Exactly what % of the crowd were these people, I have 0 clue, but I don't think it was just 2-3.   Exactly what they would have done if they got to them, again I have no proof, but I think it would have gone worse than you do.  

He will do whatever Trump tells him to do. Which means he won't participate at all and will punish the Republicans who do.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/mccarthy-expected-appoint-republicans-jan-6-select-committee-n1273226

Pelosi gets a final say on who serves however I think it’s possible when she rejects the Jordan type Republicans and others like him McCarthy will then place the blame on Pelosi and the Democrats saying it’s all partisan and then refuse to appoint anyone else

This whole thing really could have gone completely sideways and we are all lucky that it didn't. If that one dude from Alabama that brought pipe bombs wasn't a complete moron, it could have gone way worse. If any of the police that were severely outnumbered and getting pummeled with bats and flag poles and sprayed with bear spray, retaliated by shooting into the crowd, it could have gone way worse. If that one capitoal police officer didn't trick the mob into following him, and instead they found sitting members of congress being ushered away to safety, it could have gone way worse.
No.  Those people just wanted to have a rational, elegant discussion about the role of democratic processes in our government.   

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/mccarthy-expected-appoint-republicans-jan-6-select-committee-n1273226

Pelosi gets a final say on who serves however I think it’s possible when she rejects the Jordan type Republicans and others like him McCarthy will then place the blame on Pelosi and the Democrats saying it’s all partisan and then refuse to appoint anyone else

I would let the GOP put whoever they want on the committee.

I think one of the goals of the Dems here is to paint the GOP with a broad brush, and in a bad light - allowing someone like a MTG on the committee will only help further that goal.

Exactly what % of the crowd were these people, I have 0 clue, but I don't think it was just 2-3.
And we need to continue to draw the distinction of "the crowd" here.  It was a very different mix of people after 1pm EST time as the march began.  There's a reason many defenders in this thread want to lump in the events (and crowd size) for the entire day.  Their problem is, there was a clear delineation of when things started to go bad.  I had multiple friends (both supporters and people there just to watch the show) tell me this.  The % you talk about here skyrockets afte 1pm EST when all the sane people tapped out from the earlier festivities and left.  

And we need to continue to draw the distinction of "the crowd" here.  It was a very different mix of people after 1pm EST time as the march began.  There's a reason many defenders in this thread want to lump in the events (and crowd size) for the entire day.  Their problem is, there was a clear delineation of when things started to go bad.  I had multiple friends (both supporters and people there just to watch the show) tell me this.  The % you talk about here skyrockets afte 1pm EST when all the sane people tapped out from the earlier festivities and left.  
Very good point, and personally I would have 3 versions of the "crowd".    crowd 1 was at the Trump speech and in general protesting.   Crowd 2 is a little angrier and the ones gathering at the Capital.    Crowd 3 is anybody who decided to go into the Capital.   Each step lost more people that were there to protest or to see what was going on, and the % of people with ill intent goes up.  

Prosecutors say the defendants, all from the Tampa Bay area, repeatedly attacked members of Washington, D.C.'s police force. They allegedly used stolen riot shields and flagpoles to assault officers in the head and neck, and later resorted to punching, kicking, and elbowing the officers.
DOJ has unveiled an indictment against five Floridians accused of attacking at least seven police officers during the US Capitol insurrection. The defendants were arrested last week.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/politics/capitol-insurrection-charges-floridians-attacking-police-officers/index.html

Here's a good one - filed June 28. US v Matt Purse

According to video footage, on January 6, 2021, PURSE entered the U.S. Capitol at approximately 2:59 pm. As depicted below, PURSE entered through the Columbus Door on the eastern side of the building, carrying a long black pole, with what appears to be a recording device at the end of the pole.

After entering the U.S. Capitol, PURSE proceeded to the Rotunda.

PURSE appeared to be standing off to the side, observing the crowd’s interactions with the law enforcement officers. At approximately 3:03 pm, as the crowd became more volatile, as depicted below in the red box, PURSE crossed the room and exited the Rotunda.

According to video footage, PURSE exited the U.S. Capitol at approximately 3:12 pm.

Looks like he entered the building, stood around for a while, then left 13 minutes later.

Here’s one for ya…

Jan 6 defendant Domenic Pezzola

It seems as though Domenic is not enjoying his time behind bars, and he has Marjorie Taylor Greene going to bat for him.

Pezzola is charged w/ conspiracy and accused of smashing open Capitol window with stolen police riot shield.

He's pleaded Not Guilty

Justice Department says Trump’s reinstatement  talk could fuel more violence 

“Former President Trump continues to make false claims about the election, insinuate that he may be reinstalled in the near future as President without another election, and minimize the violent attack on the Capitol," prosecutors wrote in the filing. "Television networks continue to carry and report on those claims, with some actually giving credence to the false reporting."

Prosecutors continued, linking Trump's rhetoric to the Capitol rioter's case: "The defendant in this case is not a good candidate to be out in the community without electronic monitoring to ensure the safety of the community and the safety of democracy in the current environment."

Justice Department says Trump’s reinstatement  talk could fuel more violence 

“Former President Trump continues to make false claims about the election, insinuate that he may be reinstalled in the near future as President without another election, and minimize the violent attack on the Capitol," prosecutors wrote in the filing. "Television networks continue to carry and report on those claims, with some actually giving credence to the false reporting."

Prosecutors continued, linking Trump's rhetoric to the Capitol rioter's case: "The defendant in this case is not a good candidate to be out in the community without electronic monitoring to ensure the safety of the community and the safety of democracy in the current environment."
But this is just like 2000!!!!!!!  

:lmao:  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread