What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6th - what will happen? (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know - can they do that?  Trump was sued because he blocked certain people from responding, but now it's okay to remove his tweets entirely?  I don't see how that's even remotely fair or equitable.
Not a big fan of private companies have the freedom to do what they choose provided it isn't based on discrimination against an immutable class? 

From a legal perspective, the distinguishing factor is that Trump was blocking people as a government/public official. 

Let's see, the facts you have a problem with are:  people broke into the senate chamber, there were explosive devices found, someone was photographed in the senate chamber with plastic handcuffs, and someone was shot and killed. 

These are what are called facts.    Your immediate reaction was to label them fake.   What conspiracy would you like to rely on to refute them?  Go ahead.  I'll wait while you search gateway pundit, newsmax and breitbart.
Guy was obviously hoping to get a janitorial position and came equipped with those zip ties knowing he would need to close some really, really big garbage bags. 

He’s one of my favourite posters.  I just disagree with his minimizing of what happened today.  Guns were drawn in the house chamber to protect the congress men and women.
Yeah. A branch of our government was shut down today while they were doing something pretty important and tied to a peaceful transfer if power. Is it over the top to say a piece of American execeptionslism was chipped away today? Sure feels that way. It pisses me off.

I am missing the part where there is a unanimous putting aside of factionalism for a moment of clarity and realization that this should never have gotten to this point in a country like the US, and a similar wake up call about the absolutely need to change the course of polarization that got us to this point.

Instead we see two sides further entrenching in whataboutism and "you reap what you sow" mentality, or using it as a way to further find fault with the other side.

Case in point:
That’s great. But that’s not what you said in the post I quoted and commented on

It looks like Twitter has removed three of the President's recent tweets, which I think is a first. And it sounds like Facebook may be doing the same.
Also Trump’s Twitter is now locked.
Twitter Safety @TwitterSafety

Future violations of the Twitter Rules, including our Civic Integrity or Violent Threats policies, will result in permanent suspension of the @realDonaldTrump account.

In one of your posts you said that you have a pretty good life (I'm summarizing) and you didn't want to lose yours, yet here you advocating for someone else's property to be lost because of some perceived injustice.

Help me understand how you reconcile these two ideas.
I do not think random businesses should be destroyed. The cops killing someone and then you burn down a Korean grocery store or even a Target is unreasonable IMO. It happens because when people get so mad they don't think, groupthink takes over and the infiltration of bad seeds  happens in these situations (and surely happened today). However, I had little issue when they burned down the police station in Minnesota this summer. Nobody was inside. The people  had been unfairly treated, harassed and even killed by the government. This was a long standing issue that was fought against for a long period of time but the government was not responsive to it. At that point, what options are left then? Eventually one has to do something to get the point across and get the attention they need.

If I felt the Trump protesters had a legitimate case where the election was actually being stolen. I would think they were in the right here. However, the evidence is not in their favor. Trump did lose and no injustice has been done. I acknowledged some posters here are surely in disagreement on that point and if so, they should be supporting the protesters today IMO. Stealing a Presidential election would be a tyrannical and a total violation of the US Constitution. 

Where your proof they attempted to take an actual hostage?

You also seem to have an issue when mostly peaceful protests are not your side. 
You can’t take hostages that have been evacuated.  You’ve dodged the question enough. I’m done. 

anyone who trespassed on the Capitol building were not participating in a peaceful protest.  The thousands that stopped short of that were and I have no problem with that.  

Tell me then why the guards opened the gates.  I'll wait.
That is why they should investigate. Here are the options

Yours- Dems said open it knowing the Republican protesters would make fools of themselves and trash the place 

Other options

- They were given orders that every perimeter was no longer defensible and to fall back to at least ensure the members of Congress were protected 

- Republicans/Team Trump said let them in because they wanted to disrupt the process

- There were some cops who were buddies/accomplices with the protesters and let them in on their own accord

I am sure we can think of other possibilities 

I don't view anyone who opposes me as the enemy.

And I think people are still in shock at what happened today - and so emotions run hot.  I don't begrudge anyone who feels differently.

Nobody likes that at least one person was shot and killed today.  Nobody likes that people felt threatened.  I do think things got out of hand - probably even more than the protestors anticipated.

But, as some of emotion dies down - I think some serious questions have to be asked of the Capitol Police.  This was not so huge a crowd, that it would have been unexpected.  The police presence out right now - should have been out earlier today.  Had they been there - this would have really been nothing, rather than a breech of the Capitol.
Yeah.  Thankfully the President quickly took control of the situation.

You can’t take hostages that have been evacuated.  You’ve dodged the question enough. I’m done. 

anyone who trespassed on the Capitol building were not participating in a peaceful protest.  The thousands that stopped short of that were and I have no problem with that.  

Exactly, they didn’t attempt to take hostages. It also was no worse than the “mostly peaceful protests” you and many others have excuses for years. 

It was a bunch of clowns dressed like Larpers. 

Make no mistake, I hope everyone of these people go to jail

But wouldn’t it make sense that the law was carrying these for protestors that they take into custody ?
Does law enforcement usually wear a cap with an American Flag with an AR-15 on it?  Or a flag patch with the Punisher logo?

Not a big fan of censorship.  Personally I think there's more evidence that he should be removed from office asap than evidence his tweets should be blocked.
So how do you feel about Section 230?  If I can't censor his post, I better be immune from liability if someone gets hurt or it causes damage, right?

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Yeah.  Thankfully the President quickly took control of the situation.
Look, we all know the president did no such thing.

I have a different opinion than others - which is really just nothing more than "lets take a step back and assess the situation outside of the passions of the moment."

It nothing more nefarious than that.  I am not trying to be provocative here.  I just think things really got out of hand - but that this was not quite the actual threat that it appeared as events were unfolding.

I’m not a conspiracy theorist but it’s so weird to me how it looked like the capital law enforcement kinda allowed the rioters to storm the capital building. 

It was a bit too easy IMO and it’s definitely eyebrow raising to say the least. 

Also, I’m hearing the mayor of DC requested the national guard days ago but was denied. 

Stark contrast to how they handle BLM protests. 

Does law enforcement usually wear a cap with an American Flag with an AR-15 on it?  Or a flag patch with the Punisher logo?
I doubt it

Im on my phone and assumed he was the law when I saw the pic . If he wasn’t I’m wrong. It happens. 

On another topic, now that there are a lot of videos of the law nightsticking and pepper spraying protestors , what are your thoughts on your earlier posts that implied these people were just being left to do their thing compared to the protestors from last summer/fall?

So basically when Trump gets his twitter account back, Biden will officially be the president-elect.  I mean he basically already was, but now there will be literally nothing he can do.  

Lots of depressed binge eating gonna be happening in the white house tonight. 

Not a big fan of censorship.  Personally I think there's more evidence that he should be removed from office asap than evidence his tweets should be blocked.
Twitter and social media are a unique situation. If he weren’t the president he’d be banned months ago. They have handled this well IMO.

Agreed he should be removed even if it is ceremonial at this point. Hopefully some republicans can step up.

Who supported non-peaceful protests?  Anywhere?  Ever?
I did and I stand by it. I am ok with destruction of property when all other attempts to address an issue of human rights have failed. I know many posters would say the Black citizens haven't exercised every method or that the abuse they face is false/exaggerated/brought on by themselves. I think the reason the MAGA protesters are doing this is absolutely not equivalent in the slightest. Some posters here will probably disagree with that too. 
Thank you for staring.  @BladeRunner - thank you for keeping your notebook up to date.

Im more of a MLK Jr kinda protestor

Exactly, they didn’t attempt to take hostages. It also was no worse than the “mostly peaceful protests” you and many others have excuses for years. 

It was a bunch of clowns dressed like Larpers. 
Neat semantical distinction.  

guns were drawn in the people’s house.  The fact that you and other think (in my view conflate) that is no worse than the (inexcusable) violence that characterized some of the protesting/rioting that happened this summer makes me think you don’t understand the gravity of what just happened today.  

But reasonable people can disagree.   I think the fallout from this will be swift and Trump will be isolated.  I expect many resignations. 

Look, we all know the president did no such thing.

I have a different opinion than others - which is really just nothing more than "lets take a step back and assess the situation outside of the passions of the moment."

It nothing more nefarious than that.  I am not trying to be provocative here.  I just think things really got out of hand - but that this was not quite the actual threat that it appeared as events were unfolding.
I was just joking around.  Today was serious enough.  Gotta lighten things up once in awhile.

Your perspective is refreshing.  We absolutely need to take a step back and assess.  Rationally.

Today wasn’t normal.  The past 8 weeks haven’t been normal.  But hey - democracy isn’t always perfect or pretty.  We’ve seen worse as a nation. But today still wasn’t normal.  And I don’t ever want to get to the point where we accept it as normal.

I doubt it

Im on my phone and assumed he was the law when I saw the pic . If he wasn’t I’m wrong. It happens. 

On another topic, now that there are a lot of videos of the law nightsticking and pepper spraying protestors , what are your thoughts on your earlier posts that implied these people were just being left to do their thing compared to the protestors from last summer/fall?
I’m confused with the defund police crowd wanting more/quicker police presence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread