What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6th - what will happen? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly enough, almost all the anger from Trump supporters today seems directed not at liberals or Democrats (even though they are the ones presumably who stole the election) but at Republicans who refuse to join the fight today. 

Trump puts pressure on Pence ahead of election showdown in Congress

But White House officials tell Fox News that Pence will ‘follow the law’ on Wednesday

White House officials on Tuesday afternoon told Fox News chief White House correspondent John Roberts that the vice president "is taking a very diligent and studious approach to his job tomorrow. He has consulted at length with staff. He has gone through the Electoral Count Act several times. He has read legal opinions, met with the Senate parliamentarian and consulted with outside experts on the subject matter."

But those officials add that "the vice president will follow the law. He will act tomorrow with fidelity to the law and the Constitution."
Its interesting.  Pence has a real opportunity here.  He can use this moment-in-time stump to make any speech he wants, on any topic he wants.  Opportunities like this don't come along very often for many people.  He has an opportunity to write himself into the history books.  It will be interesting to see what he does.

Like anything in life, there's a right way and a wrong way to handle things.  Being frustrated and sick of Trump is one thing.  Going to Washington to engage and counter protest and look for fights, seems like a juvenile way to handle things.  
Agreed.  We don't need another Kyle Rittenhouse scenario playing out.

• Love
Reactions: JAA
I don't care who you are, this here is funny:

Kyle Cheney @kyledcheney · 30m

Not a joke: The loudspeakers at the "Overturn the Election" rally are playing the Titanic theme song.
They really need to go back to Trump's campaign rally music: "You can't always get what you want."

Interestingly enough, almost all the anger from Trump supporters today seems directed not at liberals or Democrats (even though they are the ones presumably who stole the election) but at Republicans who refuse to join the fight today. 
It may be what is best for the country that they do it that way.  Maybe more will get done if the party is fractured a bit in the short term.

Lin Wood @LLinWood

MUST BE DONE LIST before Congress meets today:

1. Mike Pence @vp @Mike_Pence must resign & thereafter be charged with TREASON.

2. Rod Rosenstein @RodRosenstein must be arrested & charged with being accessory to murder & TREASON.

3. Chief Justice John Roberts must RESIGN.

So, apparently in Q land, the story dropped last night that Pence and Rosnestein were in on the Seth Rich murder, and that they are part of the coup, where Pence would appoint Rosenstein as VP.

:oldunsure:
No way would I resign just so I can be charged with treason. 

As a centrist who is disgusted with both sides, I don’t like seeing either having too much power, but you reap what you sow. The combination of Trump being Trump and McConnell’s continued obstruction is the reason for this. The GOP has no one to blame but their so-called leaders. 
:goodposting:

Wait, so Governor Mike Pence and US Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod Rosenstein killed Seth Rich four days before Pence was named Trump’s running mate and months before Rosenstein became deputy AG?

Wait, so Governor Mike Pence and US Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod Rosenstein killed Seth Rich four days before Pence was named Trump’s running mate and months before Rosenstein became deputy AG?
It actually makes sense. Neither man was as famous then as they are now, so they were able to do it without being recognized. 

Guiliani speaking now.  Trump is going to speak in 12 minutes.  Guiliani and Eastman are announcing what their plans are

I found this press conference on RSB network on youtube.  Not sure if it's on any actual TV stations.

As a centrist who is disgusted with both sides, I don’t like seeing either having too much power, but you reap what you sow. The combination of Trump being Trump and McConnell’s continued obstruction is the reason for this. The GOP has no one to blame but their so-called leaders. 
agreed - as an indy I really dont like all blue but if thats what it takes to stop this craziness..... it would go a long way toward centrists if they have second thoughts about their actions today....but I guess they are just going to burn the whole thing down.....

I watched that comment by Rudy.  It was weird and out of place.  The rest of his speech was basically him demanding that Pence send the electoral votes from the contested states back to the State legislatures so that they can look into the voting fraud in their states....

Previous ceremonies took less than an hour. Today's hubbub will take longer than that, as there will be a minimum 2 hour recess to debate the objection(s).
I read it could be 2 hours per state that gets objections - this could take a while.
Yeah, the statute says "No votes or papers from any other State shall be acted upon until the objections previously made to the votes or papers from any State shall have been finally disposed of."

Republicans could object to all 51 states and drag the process out into next week, if not longer.

Debate rules

The structure of the Electoral Count Act's procedural provisions generally requires that any questions arising during the counting process be determined by the two houses acting separately, rather than by both houses together on the House floor. Section 5 (now 3 U.S.C. § 18) states that "the President of the Senate shall have power to preserve order; and no debate shall be allowed and no question shall be put by the presiding officer except to either House on a motion to withdraw." Section 6 (now 3 U.S.C. § 17) states that whenever the two Houses have separated "to decide upon an objection ... or other question arising in the matter," each Senator and Representative may "speak to such objection or question" for five minutes, and not more than once.[46] After the debate has lasted two hours, the presiding officer of each House must "put the main question without further debate."[46] Once the two houses have both voted, "they shall immediately again meet, and the presiding officer shall then announce the decision of the questions submitted."

Procedures for joint session

Electoral votes are counted in a joint session of Congress, 2017

Under Section 4 (3 U.S.C. § 15), Congress is required to be in session on January 6 following the election to count the votes, although this date can be changed by law. Due to the 20th Amendment, the joint session is conducted by the new Congress whose term begins on January 3, rather than the outgoing lame-duck Congress. The Senate and House must meet in the House Chamber at "1 o'clock in the afternoon" on January 6, and the president of the Senate – the sitting vice president of the United States – is the presiding officer.[39] Section 7 (3 U.S.C. § 16) specifies the seating arrangements in the House chamber.[44]

Two tellers must be "previously appointed" by the Senate and two tellers by the House of Representatives. The president of the Senate must open all the "certificates" and "papers purporting to be certificates" of the electoral votes, and hand them to the four tellers as they are opened. The certificates and papers must be "opened, presented, and acted upon in the alphabetical order of the States, beginning with the letter A." The tellers, "having read the [papers] in the presence and hearing of the two Houses," must "make a list of the votes as they shall appear from the ... certificates."

If there are any objections to the returns from any state (see Substantive counting rules below), they must be resolved before the process can continue to the next state: "No votes or papers from any other State shall be acted upon until the objections previously made to the votes or papers from any State shall have been finally disposed of."[39] This has only happened twice. The first time was in 1969, with an objection to a faithless voter in North Carolina.[4] The second was on January 6, 2005 with a formal challenge to Ohio's electoral votes, resulting in a vote — 1-74 (Yea-Nay) in the Senate and 31–267 in the House.

Role of the vice president

The Constitution instructs that electoral votes must be sent to the president of the Senate – who is the sitting vice president of the United States – and that the Senate president must "open all the certificates" in the presence of both houses.[19] However, the sitting vice president is sometimes a candidate for president in the election, is often a candidate for re-election to the vice presidency, and is almost always a partisan with a keen interest in the outcome. Recognizing this, one key purpose of the Electoral Count Act's procedural provisions is "to drain away as much power as possible from the Senate president, whom the [law] appoints to preside at the joint session when Congress counts the votes."[11]:634

As the custodian for papers, the Senate president is required by the Constitution to "open all the certificates,"[19] which the Act further describes as "all the certificates and papers purporting to be certificates." As the presiding officer during the joint session, the Senate president must follow the Electoral Count Act's provisions governing debate and procedure, which are unusually specific (see above), ."[10]:652[11]:n.580 These provisions "seem designed to drain as much power as possible away from the Chair and give it to the two houses."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the statute says "No votes or papers from any other State shall be acted upon until the objections previously made to the votes or papers from any State shall have been finally disposed of."

Republicans could object to all 51 states and drag the process out into next week, if not longer.
I'd love to see them object to Ohio and Florida and watch the Democrats say "Yeah, OK, we agree.  Flip those states."

Charlie Steiner said:
Guiliani saying he and Trump are staking their reputation is like the owners of the fastest Yugos in the world saying they'll win a NASCAR race.
:shrug:  Comment redacted out of caution

I laugh at the idea of tens of thousands of Trump supporters waiting for "something to happen" while the republicans are dragging out a 2-3 day process of pointless debates and stalling.

Agreed 

"power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely"
at the same time, I am SOOOOOOOOO looking forward to watching McConnel lose his power and become "Minority leader" :thumbup:

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Just so I am clear - comments made by the speakers at the rally are off-limits to discussion, now?
Yeah, I'd like some clarification on that. Why did a direct quote from a rally speaker and subsequent video link of the quote get removed? None of it was off-topic, and I don't see the point in pretending it didn't happen.

It feels like we are not going to see an Electoral College certification.  Its going to be like Cobra Kai season 2 finale...........but with POLITCIANS BABY!!!

Fortunate son just played at the Trump rally.  This was preceded by Billie Jean.  I think the DJ is trolling him.
The absolute worst is the Stone's song You Can't Always Get What You Want. He absolutely trolls hard with his music choices. Won't miss that.

It looks like there are 6 states they are planning on objecting to. Each State can have up to 2 hours debate. So it could easily go late into tonight.
Which will feed into a new nefarious narrative: the election was ratified by the Dems in the middle of the night! Shenanigans! :sigh:

The absolute worst is the Stone's song You Can't Always Get What You Want. He absolutely trolls hard with his music choices. Won't miss that.
Seth Cotlar@SethCotlar · 41m

“The lunatics are on the grass.” Ok, I’m starting think this DJ might be a brilliant, stealthy, deep state operative.

Quote Tweet

Bobby Lewis @revrrlewis · 2h

Pete Hegseth talks to Trump rally-goers about why they think the election was stolen, as a recording plays Pink Floyd's "Brain Damage."

Video in link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread