Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

January 6th - what will happen?

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The President told MAGA to do it MAGA said they were going to do it MAGA filmed themselves doing it Afterwards, MAGA bragged about it Clearly, it was ANTIFA’s fault

One is an ugly, decrepit wasteland ruled by an assortment of villains hoping to impose their will on peace-loving people everywhere who otherwise just want to be left alone to tend to their gardens.

So they're finally following the CDC guidelines for the pandemic?

16 minutes ago, Moonlight said:

Noticed when Hawley was giving his speech, he fixed on the camera. The other Senators that I saw were to me speaking to their colleagues.

I noted this too.  

1 hour ago, Jayrod said:

They keep feeding the racism narrative even when almost none of this is about race.

It’s all about race. 
Everywhere that Trump claims cheated is a city with a large black population. That’s not a coincidence. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

finally done what a tragedy today and yesterday has been and what an indictment of trumpism this has been i hope we move past him and it and regain the greatness that he stole from us take that to the bank brohans  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Courtjester said:

Looking at the demographic of the crowd, I bet many of them are heart attacks. This crowd had a large portion of elderly protestors who just stood around and held their signs and flags, but when the agitators did their thing, they got caught in this storm and paid the price. 

I could be wrong—just a sad day all Around. 

Reports were one shot, 2 fell off of scaffolding around the building, and one fell from a fence they were climbing over. Doubt any of them were elderly.

• Sad 1

KC Star Editorial:

No one other than President Donald Trump himself is more responsible for Wednesday’s coup attempt at the U.S. Capitol than one Joshua David Hawley, the 41-year-old junior senator from Missouri, who put out a fundraising appeal while the siege was underway.

This, Sen. Hawley, is what law-breaking and destruction look like. This is not a protest, but a riot. One woman who was apparently part of the pro-Trump mob was fatally shot by Capitol Police as lawmakers took cover. Some of those whose actions Trump encouraged and later condoned brought along their Confederate flags.

And no longer can it be asked, as George Will did recently of Hawley, “Has there ever been such a high ratio of ambition to accomplishment?” Hawley’s actions in the last week had such impact that he deserves an impressive share of the blame for the blood that’s been shed.

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article248317375.html#storylink=cpy

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

KC Star Editorial:

No one other than President Donald Trump himself is more responsible for Wednesday’s coup attempt at the U.S. Capitol than one Joshua David Hawley, the 41-year-old junior senator from Missouri, who put out a fundraising appeal while the siege was underway.

This, Sen. Hawley, is what law-breaking and destruction look like. This is not a protest, but a riot. One woman who was apparently part of the pro-Trump mob was fatally shot by Capitol Police as lawmakers took cover. Some of those whose actions Trump encouraged and later condoned brought along their Confederate flags.

And no longer can it be asked, as George Will did recently of Hawley, “Has there ever been such a high ratio of ambition to accomplishment?” Hawley’s actions in the last week had such impact that he deserves an impressive share of the blame for the blood that’s been shed.

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article248317375.html#storylink=cpy

This is sad to see. In other recent mostly peaceful protest I don’t recall lethal force and police have stood down while building burn to the ground. 

• Thinking 1
10 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

This is sad to see. In other recent mostly peaceful protest I don’t recall lethal force and police have stood down while building burn to the ground. 

No doubt this was sad all the way around.

My guess is that Capitol Police were caught unaware - not expecting protesters to breech the Capitol.  But, once that happened, in the chaos and confusion people inside were not able to accurately gauge the threat level.  My personal view is that none of the people roaming the halls wanted this to end in a violent confrontation, but rather they wanted to be disruptive. And, so, given the chaos and uncertainty, when someone is breaking down and into a more secure interior space - those charged with protecting the people inside did what they thought was necessary.

15 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

You don’t understand what those mostly peaceful protests were protesting. 

• Like 1

The woman Trump supporter who was shot dead inside the US Capital yesterday was an Air Force veteran named Ashli Babbit. She was a wife and mother who left her family in California to fly to Washington DC to be a part of a coup attempt. Her husband and child are now left behind, their wife and mother dead because she fell victim to far right propaganda.

This is the final price of a diet of false information. This is the final price of propaganda. The last tweet Babbit sent before leaving her family was this, "Nothing will stop us. They can try, but the storm is here and it is descending upon DC…. dark to light."

Their child will grow up and eventually find out that the end of their mother’s life was a public spectacle. The conclusion of 4 years of nearly half the country being consistently fead false information. Babbit was the first person through that window and she was the last. She got further than any American misguided terrorist has ever gotten. Just feet from hiding lawmakers her propaganda smashed into reality, and she is now dead.

She died wrapped in a Trump flag, bleeding profusely from her gun shot wound to the neck. Surrounded by panicked Trump supporters who were too afraid to treat her gunshot wound. Some of which who just immediately assumed she was dead. Had she been properly treated she may have survived, but that’s the price you pay when propaganda meets reality.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 6
40 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

I don’t agree with your characterization but I totally agree that it’s a tragedy she was killed. I hope there is a full investigation to see why lethal force was used on her. 

There should be an investigation into everything the Capitol police did yesterday. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Death Bytes said:

Assuming the worst is behind us and little to nothing happens today and moving forward, January 6th will forever be remembered as "Sore Losers Day".

#neverforget

Trump's America.

#neverfoget

29 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

No doubt this was sad all the way around.

My guess is that Capitol Police were caught unaware - not expecting protesters to breech the Capitol.  But, once that happened, in the chaos and confusion people inside were not able to accurately gauge the threat level.  My personal view is that none of the people roaming the halls wanted this to end in a violent confrontation, but rather they wanted to be disruptive. And, so, given the chaos and uncertainty, when someone is breaking down and into a more secure interior space - those charged with protecting the people inside did what they thought was necessary.

At least one of the cops used lethal force. That has to be investigated to see if it was actually necessary. 

3 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Based on her tweet, my opinion is that woman had no intentions of taking part in a peaceful protest.  Sad that it ended like that.  Sad for her family.  

Not sure if this has been discussed but I read a twitter thread last night about the cyber security risk now in the Capitol. The security experts are going to have to sweep every room, piece of equipment, computer, etc. 

Anyone with expertise in this area have input on that?

4 minutes ago, whoknew said:

At least one of the cops used lethal force. That has to be investigated to see if it was actually necessary. 

I’m sure it will. Why wouldn’t it? 

2 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Not sure if this has been discussed but I read a twitter thread last night about the cyber security risk now in the Capitol. The security experts are going to have to sweep every room, piece of equipment, computer, etc. 

It all has to be considered compromised as you don’t know who may have been in the Capitol. If there’s at least some sort of chance a foreign actor could have slipped in you have to consider everything compromised. Not an expert, just seems logical. 

Edited by Snorkelson
I have watched every season of 24 though, so pretty much an expert
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Makes sense

Edited by Dan Lambskin
10 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I don’t agree with your characterization but I totally agree that it’s a tragedy she was killed. I hope there is a full investigation to see why lethal force was used on her. 

There should be an investigation into everything the Capitol police did yesterday. 

I mean other than climbing thru a window to a room where US congressmen were barricaded and guarded by Secret Service?  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I'm extremely surprised more lethal force wasn't used.

Maybe the quick triggers will usually see in these situations were so few this time because the crowd was overwhelmingly white. Just sayin'. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Jayrod said:

I'm so over the "if they were black they all would have been shot" and "they were just let into the Capitol and no one was arrested" narrative every black celebrity is tweeting right now.

They keep feeding the racism narrative even when almost none of this is about race.

While I agree to an extent...do you think there is a difference in how these protesters were met by authorities and how those this summer were?

2 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I don't think there's a lot of risk here, honestly.

All users involved will have already changed all their passwords, so anyone who had brief access yesterday no longer does.  Those same users presumably have MFA, so even had they not changed passwords, any access was temporary anyway due to the workstations having already been logged on and simply left open.  That is, its not like Joe Rioter that sat down at Pelosi's laptop yesterday still has access to her e-mail.

Any workstations involved (e.g. Pelosi's laptop) can simply be trashed, on the off chance that Joe Rioter managed to install a keylogger or other device/malware.  There's plenty of budget to buy new and deploy ones.

If things were set up properly (admittedly, this is a big if), even in the event that someone managed to steal a laptop and take it out of the building, there shouldn't be any data stored locally on the workstation, any local data should be encrypted, and they should be able to be wiped remotely.

5 hours ago, Kilgore Trout said:

Still here, waiting for my Scotch from Richard Burr, or less likely, Thom Tillis.

Cunningham would have brought you a bottle of scotch.  And a mistress.  

• Like 1
  • Laughing 4
8 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

All users involved will have already changed all their passwords, so anyone who had brief access yesterday no longer does.  Those same users presumably have MFA, so even had they not changed passwords, any access was temporary anyway due to the workstations having already been logged on and simply left open.  That is, its not like Joe Rioter that sat down at Pelosi's laptop yesterday still has access to her e-mail.

Any workstations involved (e.g. Pelosi's laptop) can simply be trashed, on the off chance that Joe Rioter managed to install a keylogger or other device/malware.  There's plenty of budget to buy new and deploy ones.

If things were set up properly (admittedly, this is a big if), even in the event that someone managed to steal a laptop and take it out of the building, there shouldn't be any data stored locally on the workstation, any local data should be encrypted, and they should be able to be wiped remotely.

So this is the thread I read. I won't print all of it, but you do not agree with his concerns? (I'm not challenging you - I really know almost nothing about this stuff).

• So, just for starters: - all computers need to be inventoried, inspected inside and out, and the OS paved/rebuilt - keyboards, mice, &c might now have implants, they probably should be tossed (see eg https://keelog.com/forensic-keylogger/… which looks like a usb cable but is in fact a logger)
  • Then everything with a power source needs to be audited. This means lamps. Thermostats. Those cute little portrait lights on top of photos. The vacuum cleaner in the storage closet. Even outlets — a fav trick of one Red Team I know is a fake outlet cover that hides a mic.
  • Oof, via a friend who'd like to remain anon, a huge one I missed: rioters were inside the capitol long enough to re-flash the firmware on any device with writeable firmware - which these days is almost everything. Anything with a mic or camera probably needs to be tossed.
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

They'll still have to sweep the entire room for anything like microphones, cameras, etc... that the invaders may have left behind. 

26 minutes ago, whoknew said:

This is potentially true....I think the theory is bugs could be planted, somehow software installed on computers etc.  That's all true.  By Trump supporters?  Probably not....it takes some brains to have that sort of forethought and ability.  However, if there were foreign agents just standing around and they saw an opportunity, they could do some damage.  

6 hours ago, timschochet said:

It’s all about race. 
Everywhere that Trump claims cheated is a city with a large black population. That’s not a coincidence. 

My phrasing was poor.  I was intending to say that the mob breaching the Capitol and the security forces reaction was not about race like many are making it out to be.  Of course the broader election results were very divided by race.

23 minutes ago, Death Bytes said:

I'm extremely surprised more lethal force wasn't used.

Maybe the quick triggers will usually see in these situations were so few this time because the crowd was overwhelmingly white. Just sayin'. 

And your "just sayin'" would likely be a false assumption and exactly the kind of race baiting BS we don't need right now.

8 minutes ago, whoknew said:

So this is the thread I read. I won't print all of it, but you do not agree with his concerns? (I'm not challenging you - I really know almost nothing about this stuff).

• So, just for starters: - all computers need to be inventoried, inspected inside and out, and the OS paved/rebuilt - keyboards, mice, &c might now have implants, they probably should be tossed (see eg https://keelog.com/forensic-keylogger/… which looks like a usb cable but is in fact a logger)
  • Then everything with a power source needs to be audited. This means lamps. Thermostats. Those cute little portrait lights on top of photos. The vacuum cleaner in the storage closet. Even outlets — a fav trick of one Red Team I know is a fake outlet cover that hides a mic.
  • Oof, via a friend who'd like to remain anon, a huge one I missed: rioters were inside the capitol long enough to re-flash the firmware on any device with writeable firmware - which these days is almost everything. Anything with a mic or camera probably needs to be tossed.

Just looking at the three bullets you noted...

First one, "inventoried and inspected", I do not agree.  Just chuck them all in the trash and deploy new ones.  Cheaper and quicker.  Second one, I'll call this "looking for bugs", I guess I'm on board.  I don't consider this "IT" but rather NSA/FBI sweeping for bugs.  Sure, I guess they should do that?  Third one is basically the same as the first.  Chuck it and deploy new.

So on the first and third bullets, I don't consider those "ongoing security risks" as much as I consider them "stupid, unnecessary expenditures".  There's no risk.  Recycle them properly (i.e. secure wipe) and deploy new stuff.  Any actual data wouldn't have (or shouldn't have) been stored on those devices, it's all stored off-site.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

There were several other reporters embedded in the group. It would've been easy for "real" terrorists to have blended in with the group and do significant damage.

Had to have a been a few undercover FBI agents amongst the groups yesterday.  Is there ever not in these DC rallies?  

3 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Can you give a link or proper attribution?

It was a comment from a different thread, it's an opinion that I share, that the girl died in vain for a cause she got suckered into like so many.  I thought it was better put than my thoughts on the subject.

13 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

If I felt the Trump protesters had a legitimate case where the election was actually being stolen. I would think they were in the right here. However, the evidence is not in their favor. Trump did lose and no injustice has been done. I acknowledged some posters here are surely in disagreement on that point and if so, they should be supporting the protesters today IMO. Stealing a Presidential election would be a tyrannical and a total violation of the US Constitution. 

Im not defending the rioters.  Would it change your mind if the rioters felt they had a legitimate case?  You are on record saying you dont think they do.  Does it matter if they think they do?

1 hour ago, GoBirds said:

Definitely needs an investigation as I am against lethal force except when absolutely necessary even if it’s from law enforcement or secret service. I don’t know who was on the other side of that window she was coming for. If it was members of Congress and the LEO were significantly outnumbered, I think a case for lethal force is probably warranted unfortunately. A full investigation into all of this is needed. The biggest question is why was there such a minimal police presence there when everyone knew there was a huge contentious event taking place and a large crowd expected to be in DC to protest.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jayrod said:

And your "just sayin'" would likely be a false assumption and exactly the kind of race baiting BS we don't need right now.

I acknowledge that there is potential that my assumption is false, but I believe that potential to be very unlikely. People were climbing over fences so high that one died falling over it. People were using scaffolding to get to windows so high that two people fell from them to their deaths. They were breaking in doors. They were breaking in windows. Umm... yeah.... if it was a black crowd, more than one bullet would have been fired. 

2 minutes ago, culdeus said:

It was a comment from a different thread, it's an opinion that I share, that the girl died in vain for a cause she got suckered into like so many.  I thought it was better put than my thoughts on the subject.

Yeah, I liked it, too. Was just gonna share it.

1 minute ago, JAA said:

Im not defending the rioters.  Would it change your mind if the rioters felt they had a legitimate case?  You are on record saying you dont think they do.  Does it matter if they think they do?

Depends on why they think they do. If the why is actual evidence that a court should accept, then I would change my mind to support them.

But delusion is not an acceptable why reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Listening to the Lawfare podcast - they brought up an interesting point I didn’t think about. 

What are the odds Trump issues a blanket pardon for everyone involved yesterday? Pretty good, I reckon. 

45 minutes ago, whoknew said:

No it isn't.  This person made an incredibly stupid, violent, un-American decision of her own free will to storm the capital building.  I have no problem with her getting shot.  That's an appropriate response under the circumstances.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, JAA said:

It matters to them. I know they think they have a legitimate case. They think there are saving the country. However, I have to judge it from what I best believe reality to be. To me the reality is that they have been conned by Trump and internet trolls into turning on the Democratic processes of the country and are actively trying to prevent the will of the voters. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:
48 minutes ago, whoknew said:

No it isn't.  This person made an incredibly stupid, violent, un-American decision of her own free will to storm the capital building.  I have no problem with her getting shot.  That's an appropriate response under the circumstances.

I pretty much agree with everything you said except for the part where you say it’s not a tragedy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Jayrod said:

I'm so over the "if they were black they all would have been shot" and "they were just let into the Capitol and no one was arrested" narrative every black celebrity is tweeting right now.

I feel really bad for you. We all know how hard it must be for you as a white man in America. If you think "almost none of this is about race," you're not living in reality.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Maybe we have a different idea of tragedy. It’s sad when anyone is killed even if they brought it upon themselves- in a sense, them bringing it on themselves is specifically what makes it tragic. 

4 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Listening to the Lawfare podcast - they brought up an interesting point I didn’t think about. 

What are the odds Trump issues a blanket pardon for everyone involved yesterday? Pretty good, I reckon. 

I'd say the odds would be pretty low.  Trump does not care about these people, and these people have nothing to offer Trump.

Aside from that, I don't know the form that a Pardon has to take, but I would think, at a minimum it has to name the person being pardoned, and the specific conduct that is being pardoned.  And, I doubt Trump will have access to either in the next two-weeks.

• Like 2

It's not a tragedy in the "law enforcement acted inappropriately and shot/killed an innocent person" sense.

It is a tragedy in the "a person died when it was, ultimately, avoidable" sense.

Reasonable take?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6
4 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I would be very surprised if she was shot unjustly. I can't imagine that being the case though. Hundreds more could have been shot yesterday and all of them been justified. If anyone is going to do what was done yesterday, the should assume the great potential of being shot doing it.

And that's where I think the tragedy exists here, in that so many of those people were not there with that assumption in mind. I think it didn't even occur to this woman, and many others there that they could potentially be shot for what they were doing. And worse, I don't think Trump understood that potential either... and if he did, then his seditious encouragement of the event is criminal.