What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6th - what will happen? (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, sometimes you have some good things to offer this forum.  But, your snark level is off the charts so often.  You should really consider turning that down because it really offsets a lot of your message that could be useful.  It's a very consistent pattern.  It's just not necessary to get your point across.  Do what you want with my $.02.
The ignore function is a much more sensible option than trying to engage with someone like this. It's pointless.

The ignore function is a much more sensible option than trying to engage with someone like this. It's pointless.
I think it's important to sustain awareness of the foolishness of others. Insulation in our comfortable echo chamber is why we are where we are now. It's similarly important to not engage the nonsense though.

52 arrested, 6 weapons recovered at U.S. Capitol riot

The Washington, D.C., police chief says at least six weapons have been recovered, dozens of people have been arrested and 14 police officers have been hurt so far in Wednesday’s pro-Trump riot
Okay, that is not "none".

But the bigger point, and it is a bit of a semantic one, is that this was less a serious coup or revolution attempt than it was a bunch of idiots rioting.

When I say bigger point, I don't mean to say it's a big point. I'm just surprised that there weren't more guns present and that there weren't more people killed. That is all.

You know, sometimes you have some good things to offer this forum.  But, your snark level is off the charts so often.  You should really consider turning that down because it really offsets a lot of your message that could be useful.  It's a very consistent pattern.  It's just not necessary to get your point across.  Do what you want with my $.02.
I asked for a link to back up a very strong statement. I even gave a hint toward the one possible scenario I thought was comparable this summer. No link provided. He accuses me of not being in reality. But my snark is off the charts? I think you just read what you want. As always. 

I haven't heard a lot about the group being armed, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I've heard they weren't either.  The reporting on that subject has been largely, surprisingly, silent.

There are pictures of multiple shots fired into a door, that at first glance seem like they were shots fired to get in, rather than in defense, but that's a "way too early to know" take.
Do explosive devices at the RNC and DNC count?

https://twitter.com/JakeBGibson/status/1347189169613844482?s=20
Of course.  I'll be honest, I don't know who Jake Gibson is or whether he is a legit source.  I'll also be honest, I don't know where RNC and DNC headquarters are in relation to the Capitol building or whether any explosives found should be considered as planted by the same group that stormed the Capitol.  As noted above, I guess I'm just surprised there hasn't been more reporting on how armed the group was.

But the bigger point, and it is a bit of a semantic one, is that this was less a serious coup or revolution attempt than it was a bunch of idiots rioting.

When I say bigger point, I don't mean to say it's a big point. I'm just surprised that there weren't more guns present and that there weren't more people killed. That is all.
Yep.  Most people were there to simply protest.   A portion evidently decided to riot.  Similar to this summer.

I agree with you that it would be hard to establish this attack as a premeditated one. It was more likely to be a heat of the moment one. 

That doesn't excuse those who were fanning the flames of heat though. 

Yep.  Most people were there to simply protest.   A portion evidently decided to riot.  Similar to this summer.

I agree with you that it would be hard to establish this attack as a premeditated one. It was more likely to be a heat of the moment one. 

Yes, I agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked for a link to back up a very strong statement. I even gave a hint toward the one possible scenario I thought was comparable this summer. No link provided. He accuses me of not being in reality. But my snark is off the charts? I think you just read what you want. As always. 
My statement had nothing to do with the summer of 2020 riots. But you continue to think it did. 

Steadman™ @AsteadWesley · 29m

There's a uniqueness to the US Capitol obviously but I cannot overstress that much of what you see yesterday -- threat of violence, conspiracy, Q, open white nationalism -- is present at quite literally every Trump rally.

Astead Herndon is one of my favorite journalists - political or otherwise.  He spent a lot of time at Trump campaign rallies over the last few years. 

I'll also be honest, I don't know where RNC and DNC headquarters are in relation to the Capitol building or whether any explosives found should be considered as planted by the same group that stormed the Capitol.  
RNC and DNC are pretty much across the street from The Capitol

I don't think there was a specific battle plan drawn up on how to breach the Capitol or anything like that, but that doesn't mean it wasn't premeditated. Just look at these people's social media accounts from the hours and days prior to their arrival. They did exactly what they said they were going to do. No matter how dumb, irrational and illogical they are, that doesn't mean it wasn't a coup. In their minds, that's exactly what it was. They went there for the expressed purpose of stopping the counting of the electoral votes.

These people are gonna be back. Hope the capital law enforcement is better prepared. 

I think the inauguration should be 100% virtual. 

Esteemed Congressman Mo Brooks who egged on the mob as much as anyone goes down the ANTIFA rabbit-hole.  Keep on keeping on rightists:

https://twitter.com/RepMoBrooks/status/1347171347043115008?s=20
The freaking President tweeted this what is what you get when you don’t let him be President and to never forget that day. He said he loved them. Either the President has pulled a Hulk Hogan and gone Antifa NWO or Mo Brooks is a lying conspiracy theory obsessed moron who is out to mislead the country.

I don't think there was a specific battle plan drawn up on how to breach the Capitol or anything like that, but that doesn't mean it wasn't premeditated. Just look at these people's social media accounts from the hours and days prior to their arrival. They did exactly what they said they were going to do. No matter how dumb, irrational and illogical they are, that doesn't mean it wasn't a coup. In their minds, that's exactly what it was. They went there for the expressed purpose of stopping the counting of the electoral votes.
I think those people were in the vast minority. Usually those kind of mindsets are drowned out in larger crowds as cooler heads prevail. 

I guess there just weren't any cooler heads among those there yesterday who were not planning to do that. 

I think those people were in the vast minority. Usually those kind of mindsets are drowned out in larger crowds as cooler heads prevail. 

I guess there just weren't any cooler heads among those there yesterday who were not planning to do that. 
Really? My experience is that in large crowds, it’s not the cooler heads that prevail. 

Do not take this the wrong way, or as a direct response to this.  Clearly I'm wanting these guys to see serious justice.

I can see "both sides" of the issue in that the protestors really just aimed to get to the front door, make some noise, and expected to get dispersed.  When they weren't it caused complete pandemonium and people that legit had no intention of entering the Capital got swept up in the moment.  Does that excuse it, hell no.  But I buy into the fact that people went into that with a line in the sand of what they were intending to do, then blew WAY past that line.  

If the police had even a medium presence and held the line with gas or non-lethal nobody would have done jack ####.  It's complex because now you are blaming the police for the action of the criminal, which is nonsense, but here we are.  I fully expect all these jackholes that got onto the senate floor or made a wreck of the offices to see jail time including the hot one in the Burberry jacket and MAGA yoga pants at the top of the senate steps.  Going to be sweet sweet to see her tears.

It matters to them. I know they think they have a legitimate case. They think there are saving the country. However, I have to judge it from what I best believe reality to be. To me the reality is that they have been conned by Trump and internet trolls into turning on the Democratic processes of the country and are actively trying to prevent the will of the voters. 
It’s a cult. They’ve been radicalized by lies told from their leader. Like the Manson family, it didn’t matter if they believed their actions were righteous. Similarly, their leader should be held accountable for their actions as well.

Yeah, I have zero issues with the woman being shot. They were warned. Thay were trying to get into an area that had people and no escape. Sorry you try to come through you need to be put down.
Yes. I think being backed into corners in confined spaces is a big reason force was used.  Watching the video if the one officer fleeing...I am actually surprised (and thankful)more shots weren’t fired.

These people are gonna be back. Hope the capital law enforcement is better prepared. 

I think the inauguration should be 100% virtual. 
I could be way off, but I think the Q movement died a total death yesterday.  That was their moment, the culmination, the best they could do.  

So now they realize there was no master plan, Trump was never really leading them to anything....they will delete their accounts and try to move on with their lives.

The events were probably a bit too shocking for most republicans.  I imagine many across the country saw it and were amazed at how far things went.  

So yeah, I don't think there will be anymore violence or issues over the next month.

But capital law enforcement kind of stunk up the joint yesterday and they need to figure out a better gameplan.  

No need to get snarky in this thread.  Let's all be good.

I understand. I find it slightly surprising too, but had remembered it being reported yesterday. It looks like the mob got the message when that lady got shot that there were lines they couldn't cross in the Capitol without serious consequences. 

And can we please stop with the one off looting comments about the summer. "This isnt the same as looting a panera" is a lame comment. Please do some research. Blocks and blocks of businesses in philly were completely raided and destroyed. 

The police just let it happen.

Plenty of areas all over the country whole blocks were just pummeled. 

Had the guy that threw the molotov cocktail into the state building in Madison been mowed down right away there would have been protests. 

There were also BLM protests all across the country where people were armed. 

But really i guess how would people know that? I mean NPR went so far they released a story trying to say a car that ran over somebody was a white supremacist just running over protesters. Turned out it was a black woman driving and the guy may have been trying to carjack her because he had a gun in his hand. 

No congress members or aids were hurt. The building was cleared, there was property damage. One woman was justifiably shot(at least in my opinion). So if you find yourself thinking the response should have resulted in more people being killed after all we saw this summer and now that we know the results of what happened, i think you have a warped sense of reality. 

• Sad
Reactions: JAA
Do not take this the wrong way, or as a direct response to this.  Clearly I'm wanting these guys to see serious justice.

I can see "both sides" of the issue in that the protestors really just aimed to get to the front door, make some noise, and expected to get dispersed.  When they weren't it caused complete pandemonium and people that legit had no intention of entering the Capital got swept up in the moment.  Does that excuse it, hell no.  But I buy into the fact that people went into that with a line in the sand of what they were intending to do, then blew WAY past that line.  

If the police had even a medium presence and held the line with gas or non-lethal nobody would have done jack ####.  It's complex because now you are blaming the police for the action of the criminal, which is nonsense, but here we are.  I fully expect all these jackholes that got onto the senate floor or made a wreck of the offices to see jail time including the hot one in the Burberry jacket and MAGA yoga pants at the top of the senate steps.  Going to be sweet sweet to see her tears.
For some people. Others clearly were aggressive. There were clashes with police and protestors outside the capital and then of course there’s the video of the building being breached and several men chasing a black officer through the building. Also the breaking of doors and windows to gain building access. 

And can we please stop with the one off looting comments about the summer. "This isnt the same as looting a panera" is a lame comment. Please do some research. Blocks and blocks of businesses in philly were completely raided and destroyed. 

The police just let it happen.

Plenty of areas all over the country whole blocks were just pummeled. 

Had the guy that threw the molotov cocktail into the state building in Madison been mowed down right away there would have been protests. 

There were also BLM protests all across the country where people were armed. 

But really i guess how would people know that? I mean NPR went so far they released a story trying to say a car that ran over somebody was a white supremacist just running over protesters. Turned out it was a black woman driving and the guy may have been trying to carjack her because he had a gun in his hand. 

No congress members or aids were hurt. The building was cleared, there was property damage. One woman was justifiably shot(at least in my opinion). So if you find yourself thinking the response should have resulted in more people being killed after all we saw this summer and now that we know the results of what happened, i think you have a warped sense of reality. 
It's going to be tough to beat this post for rationalizing away yesterday's riot, but I'm sure others will take Mo Brooks' lead and try.  

For some people. Others clearly were aggressive. There were clashes with police and protestors outside the capital and then of course there’s the video of the building being breached and several men chasing a black officer through the building. Also the breaking of doors and windows to gain building access. 
I'm saying with even the slightest amount of police presence none of that crap likely would have happened.  It's pretty obvious once they met resistance the numbers of them intent on actually aggressing towards the police was small.  

Having the NG there in the AM would have likely stopped just about all this.  It would have looked more or less like the kav protests where people would act up and get paddy waggoned and that's it.  

I could be way off, but I think the Q movement died a total death yesterday.  That was their moment, the culmination, the best they could do.  

So now they realize there was no master plan, Trump was never really leading them to anything....they will delete their accounts and try to move on with their lives.

The events were probably a bit too shocking for most republicans.  I imagine many across the country saw it and were amazed at how far things went.  

So yeah, I don't think there will be anymore violence or issues over the next month.

But capital law enforcement kind of stunk up the joint yesterday and they need to figure out a better gameplan.  
No evidence of it before has convinced them they were wrong...why would this?

The ignore function, for me, is for people who troll or have nothing to add to the forum.  Not a lot of people, overall.  I don't think it's for someone like him who has things to offer.  I don't always agree with what he writes, but I do think he writes things with value that are worth reading.  It's unfortunate that it gets lost sometimes because of how that message is sent.  And, based on the response to me, it's also clear that there's not much interest in trying to change that. 

I get it because it can be easy to forget how we should treat each other when typing on a forum.  We're all guilty of that at times.  I try to do my best to not be that way and have to remind myself sometimes. 

My post wasn't related to this interaction by itself.  It's a pattern.  I'm not trying to be a jerk here at all, but exactly the opposite.  I wouldn't have even bothered posting this to you if I didn't read your posts and get something from them.  I'm sorry you felt the need to respond back to me the way you did. 

Facebook bans a page used to coordinate pro-Trump protests after calls for violence.

Facebook banned a page that was being used to organize pro-Trump demonstrations in Washington on Wednesday after direct calls for violence surfaced on the page.

The company said it removed the page, called Red-State Secession, on Wednesday morning. It did not provide any further details on what prompted the action.

In the days leading up to the protests in Washington, members of the group had asked its roughly 8,000 followers to share addresses of perceived “enemies” in the nation’s capital. Those included home addresses of federal judges, members of Congress and other prominent progressive politicians.

Comments left on the page often featured photos of gun and ammunition, along with emoji suggesting that members of the group were planning for violence. One post on Tuesday said people should be “prepared to use force to defend civilization.”

Several comments below the post showed photos of assault rifles, ammunition and other weapons. In the comments, people referred to “occupying” the capital and taking action to force Congress to overturn the election results.

Before it was removed by Facebook, the page directed followers to other social media sites like Gab and Parler that have gained popularity in right-wing circles since the election in November.

You are...it's alive and well and what happened yesterday is PROOF their thoughts are correct.  They feel completely validated by yesterday.  (If one is to believe those in the group of course).

You are way off.  My FB feed is full of relatives who are getting ready for the next coup attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread