What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6th - what will happen? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL at that tool dramatically removing his denim jacket and turning his hat around.

But yeah, that's not a peaceful protest.  I honestly cant believe guns weren't drawn. I sure as hell couldn't be a cop in that situation. A crowd that size starts acting like that, I'm creating distance and pulling my pistol.

Last edited by a moderator:
And can we please stop with the one off looting comments about the summer. "This isnt the same as looting a panera" is a lame comment. Please do some research. Blocks and blocks of businesses in philly were completely raided and destroyed. 

The police just let it happen.

Plenty of areas all over the country whole blocks were just pummeled. 

Had the guy that threw the molotov cocktail into the state building in Madison been mowed down right away there would have been protests. 

There were also BLM protests all across the country where people were armed. 

But really i guess how would people know that? I mean NPR went so far they released a story trying to say a car that ran over somebody was a white supremacist just running over protesters. Turned out it was a black woman driving and the guy may have been trying to carjack her because he had a gun in his hand. 

No congress members or aids were hurt. The building was cleared, there was property damage. One woman was justifiably shot(at least in my opinion). So if you find yourself thinking the response should have resulted in more people being killed after all we saw this summer and now that we know the results of what happened, i think you have a warped sense of reality. 
In a bizarre way what has happened this past year with all the rioting, violence, looting, destruction all over the country with basically very little done about has emboldened dissenters to the point they think they can do anything anywhere now with very little repercussion.   

On the news they show people burning police vehicles and dancing around them.  So why would the protesters yesterday think it would be any different?  This is a sad state of affairs right now.

I am really hoping Biden keeps to what he said yesterday that all of this has to stop.  We need Biden to stand firm right now for the good of all of us so hopefully he is up to the task.

I'm so over the "if they were black they all would have been shot" and "they were just let into the Capitol and no one was arrested" narrative every black celebrity is tweeting right now.

They keep feeding the racism narrative even when almost none of this is about race.
I'm guessing they're just "so over" the racism. 

You really don't see the difference between the way these protestorts/trespassers were treated versus prior instances?

You are...it's alive and well and what happened yesterday is PROOF their thoughts are correct.  They feel completely validated by yesterday.  (If one is to believe those in the group of course).
You are right, and this is because of how social media works. Compare our discussion here on a forum to how Facebook works for example. On this forum, you see all posts. You see all opinions. You see the "group mentality" even though it is mixed with many different thoughts. You could filter some of it out by using the ignore feature, but you have to manually chose that. On facebook, that filtering is done for you. It automatically presents you with things it has learned you like. It does that because it wants you to come back as much as possible, and they know you will come back the more you see stuff you like, and less of the stuff you don't. So all these QAnon people are seeing their social media feeds filled with positive opinions about what happened yesterday and are completely isolated from the massive outrage the country is having as a whole. They are literally in their own little world right now, and have been for years for some of them. Which is a big factor in what led up to this happening. Many of the people there yesterday experience a social media world where everyone wants Trump to be president, because that's all they see in their social media feed. The election had to be stolen, because they don't see anyone wanting Biden. 

It does go both ways. Those who want Biden are overwhelmed in their social media feeds with pro-Biden stuff. It was just a matter of time before one side snapped as a result of this. I don't have a solution to social media on how to fix it, but it clearly is a problem that is destroying our democracy. But make no mistake, the QAnon movement did not die from what happened at all yesterday. They seriously and literally live in their own world. 

You are right, and this is because of how social media works. Compare our discussion here on a forum to how Facebook works for example. On this forum, you see all posts. You see all opinions. You see the "group mentality" even though it is mixed with many different thoughts. You could filter some of it out by using the ignore feature, but you have to manually chose that. On facebook, that filtering is done for you. It automatically presents you with things it has learned you like. It does that because it wants you to come back as much as possible, and they know you will come back the more you see stuff you like, and less of the stuff you don't. So all these QAnon people are seeing their social media feeds filled with positive opinions about what happened yesterday and are completely isolated from the massive outrage the country is having as a whole. They are literally in their own little world right now, and have been for years for some of them. Which is a big factor in what led up to this happening. Many of the people there yesterday experience a social media world where everyone wants Trump to be president, because that's all they see in their social media feed. The election had to be stolen, because they don't see anyone wanting Biden. 

It does go both ways. Those who want Biden are overwhelmed in their social media feeds with pro-Biden stuff. It was just a matter of time before one side snapped as a result of this. I don't have a solution to social media on how to fix it, but it clearly is a problem that is destroying our democracy. But make no mistake, the QAnon movement did not die from what happened at all yesterday. They seriously and literally live in their own world. 
I agree FB and Twitter are waaaay better at it. But the mods here have drove the narrative too. 

You really don't see the difference between the way these protestorts/trespassers were treated versus prior instances?
If we are going to compare what happened yesterday to the riots of the summer of 2020, was there any riot in the summer of 2020 where 14 officers were injured?

Serious question. I don't know. 

Just asking, because typically after the first "man down" call, lethal force is soon to follow. 

Again, I don't compare what happened yesterday to the riots of the summer of 2020, but if there was a comparison, the riot being compared to yesterday would need to have numerous officers injured. 

If Trump had won, there likely would have been more widespread BLM style protesting, but a doubt a riot at the Capitol would have occurred.

I think Trumps most damning move was not sending National Guard to the Capitol.  I don't think he saw this coming, but he wanted a large crowd fighting for him.

And can we please stop with the one off looting comments about the summer. "This isnt the same as looting a panera" is a lame comment. Please do some research. Blocks and blocks of businesses in philly were completely raided and destroyed. 

The police just let it happen.

Plenty of areas all over the country whole blocks were just pummeled. 

Had the guy that threw the molotov cocktail into the state building in Madison been mowed down right away there would have been protests. 

There were also BLM protests all across the country where people were armed. 

But really i guess how would people know that? I mean NPR went so far they released a story trying to say a car that ran over somebody was a white supremacist just running over protesters. Turned out it was a black woman driving and the guy may have been trying to carjack her because he had a gun in his hand. 

No congress members or aids were hurt. The building was cleared, there was property damage. One woman was justifiably shot(at least in my opinion). So if you find yourself thinking the response should have resulted in more people being killed after all we saw this summer and now that we know the results of what happened, i think you have a warped sense of reality. 
Are you saying that the people yesterday were "peaceful protesters" and there should have been less police violence towards them? 

I'm starting to wonder if Pence hasn't invoked the 25th behind closed doors.  Every bit of info and conversation with public officials (say, re: National Guard) is "we have discussed the situation with the Vice President and we will do X".  No mention of Trump, as if he doesn't exist.
Interesting theory.... and I hope it's true. He is clearly unfit to lead, even if it is for just two more weeks. But to make the invoking of the 25th public knowledge could incite a revolution by Trump supporters. 
I know this will come out poorly, but I'm not sure this is a bad thing if you walk through what actually would happen.  There would be a small amount of bad actors (they exist on all sides BTW) who would declare a Civil War and they would be identified and dealt with.  I think the benefit to the country in this scenario is we would see how few radicals there really are.  I believe the reality is there are few radicals but a ton of trolls, bots, Russian bad actors, etc on social media who make it seem like there are a ton of radicals where there arent.

Based on what? How many BLM protesters have been shot?  Ths is nothing like any of the incidences where police have shot black people recently.

I mean if you want to continue to divide things and make this more than it is then by all means carry on. But there is zero evidence that if these people were black more of them would have been shot. It's a false narrative and it's been propagated by a whole bunch of black celebrities on Twitter already and quite frankly it is really really not a good idea right now.
wat

Yep.  Most people were there to simply protest.   A portion evidently decided to riot.  Similar to this summer.
:goodposting:

I completely agree with this. In both instances you had about 95% there that just wanted to participate and have their voices heard and then you had that other 5% who were just agitators looking for chaos. When they were clearing out the crowd last night you could see the old couples carrying their little Trump signs and the old vets with their flags. I am surprised there weren't buses from retirement homes picking them all up. 

I hope the people that got caught on camera inside the Capital get prosecuted to the hilt though. 

You are way off.  My FB feed is full of relatives who are getting ready for the next coup attempt.

I did a little pruning of so-called "friends" last night after promises of "enjoy the peace now, it won't last" and "funny if you think this is over".
Correct on both quotes above. I had a longstanding policy that I didn't unfriend anyone on FB, until last night. Just don't need that nonsense in my life anymore.

If Trump had won, there likely would have been more widespread BLM style protesting, but a doubt a riot at the Capitol would have occurred.

I think Trumps most damning move was not sending National Guard to the Capitol.  I don't think he saw this coming, but he wanted a large crowd fighting for him.
I agree that there would have been a lot of outrage had Trump won, but I believe it would have been directed at those who voted for him, and not at a delusion conspiracy that it was stolen from Biden by election fraud. 

Which black person involved in a protest was shot this year by law enforcement?

It is a false assumption that black people would have been killed.  Honestly, based on what a lot of LE have expressed, they are more concerned with drawing a weapon on black people over the last year than other criminals for the same thing.  It is a false assumption, again with zero evidence.

This is the moment it all began. Seems like there was one cop who was trying his hardest - throwing some haymakers - the others sort of just let it happen. But they were way outnumbered, and it is disgracegul that they weren't better prepared for this.

https://twitter.com/PhilipinDC/status/1347028917685800961?s=20
While I think the officers would have been well within policy and protocol to use much more force there, I find it tough to blame them given how outnumbered they were. 

Frankly, the only questionable law enforcement act I've seen is the guy who did appear to pose for a selfie. 

It is a false assumption that black people would have been killed.  Honestly, based on what a lot of LE have expressed, they are more concerned with drawing a weapon on black people over the last year than other criminals for the same thing.  It is a false assumption, again with zero evidence.
You said there is "zero evidence." That's a pretty bold statement to make given the decades of data and footage of numerous instances whereby black suspects received disparate treatment by law enforcement in situations similar to white suspects. That is evidence. The prior display of force from the NG on the capitol steps this summer is evidence. Whether it's enough evidence to definitively say that had the protestors/looters/trespassers yesterday been black that they would have received disparate treatment is debatable. But no evidence? There is at least some evidence and a blanket statement like the one you made suggests either that you've chosen to ignore the decades of disparate treatment or you don't understand what "evidence" means. 

My post wasn't related to this interaction by itself.  It's a pattern.  I'm not trying to be a jerk here at all, but exactly the opposite.  I wouldn't have even bothered posting this to you if I didn't read your posts and get something from them.  I'm sorry you felt the need to respond back to me the way you did. 
You never try. ;)   

Frankly, the only questionable law enforcement act I've seen is the guy who did appear to pose for a selfie. 
I agree - though I would add the people in the hierarchy failed miserably for not being prepared for something that was being planned in public for a few weeks.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA

:rolleyes:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/media/capitol-takeover-media-coverage-fox-cnn-msnbc/2021/01/06/b2fc474a-5068-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html

He practically instructed them to do it.  WTF

Trump:

1:“Big protest in D.C. on January 6th,”

2: "“The BIG Protest Rally in Washington, D.C. will take place at 11:00 A.M. on January 6th. Locational details to follow. StopTheSteal!”

3: Trump retweeted “A great honor!” to a tweet that said “The cavalry is coming, Mr. President!”

4: minutes before they stormed the capitol Trump told them this: “We will never give up,” he said. “We will never concede. It will never happen. You don’t concede when there’s theft involved. Our country has had enough. We will not take it anymore.”

He is literally telling them to STOP the "steal."

Treated differently?  I saw a lot of people getting away with some serious property damage.  Portland was basically allowed to have a "lawless zone" for months.  All in the name of BLM.

They never tried to storm the Capitol, so we don't know what would have happened.  To assume it would have resulted in more deaths is complete fabrication.  I'm sure it would have been different.  There probably would have been more security forces in place and it wouldn't have been able to escalate the same way, but to assume more black deaths is a damaging and likely false assumption.

ETA:  A year ago?  I could see it.  After this year?  I doubt it.

I don't use this phrase often, but THIS is what's wrong with America. Thanks to social media, so many of us really do live in our own echo chambers. It's the main reason why I stopped going on FB and the only people I follow on Twitter are sports related. 

Lol it's the skinny guys that are antifa everyone. Who knew it was that easy to identify them and good thing they're not smart enough to wear clothes that aren't black!

No snark here

But there were?
I’m not sure about all across the country but yes there were armed BLM protests 
I said where people were armed. I wasnt even talking about the one near stone mountain that would be considered wholly armed. 

I know this to be true because there is actual video where things get heated and boom out pops a gun. Salt lake city video where two guns come out. One of the guys shot in kenosha was armed. Park in louisville where there was a shooting. Then there are all the police records and media accounts. Somebody mentioned the 10000 arrests yesterday. If you look up that article you can see a number of arrests involved weapons. In my state a protester shot the dog of a man that was arguing with protesters. 

Jesse Ventura @GovJVentura

Today is not the day to pretend the FBI grew a conscious & stopped accessing the NSA’s domestic surveillance programs. Yesterday was the prime hypothetical excuse we were all given to justify years of illegal data collection & spying on Americans.

If we are limiting it to just being shot by LE, then I can only think of rubber bullet examples.  But, there was still significant unnecessary violence against actual peaceful protests by law enforcement.  All of that still counts.

Here's a Google spreadsheet detailing incidents that was compiled by a conservative attorney

It's not a short list.  There is no shortage of footage that most of us have seen at least some of. 

The response yesterday by law enforcement was in stark contrast to responses at BLM protests this summer, especially considering that it was at the Capitol. 

ETA -- Here's a wikipedia entry for police violence against protestors.  Lots of rubber bullet and projectile incidents.

This is the moment it all began. Seems like there was one cop who was trying his hardest - throwing some haymakers - the others sort of just let it happen. But they were way outnumbered, and it is disgracegul that they weren't better prepared for this.

https://twitter.com/PhilipinDC/status/1347028917685800961?s=20
Thanks for posting. I disagree that the others pushing back the fence and trying to hold position, and also trying to detain one of the guys who got through the fence until they were overrun and one woman was pushed down and looked to be hurt, is "letting it happen." But I think we're on the same page that these guys were way outnumbered and didn't have a lot of options. Total failure of leadership.

I think this video also puts to rest my one big area of complaint with the front line Cap police. I wonder if the actions in this video happened earlier in time than the video that got out yesterday that appeared to show the Cap police removing gates and letting people in. It's my guess and assumption that this happened first and the cops in the other video were directed to not try to hold the position to prevent somebody from getting hurt.

We definitely need an investigation of how this happened from a police standpoint. I also want an interview with the guy who posed for the selfie. To be his defense lawyer, some of that was happening over the summer in the protests as a way to build rapport and keep things deescalated. That's also why you saw a lot of police kneeling with the peaceful protestors from the summer. But this case is a really bad look, and I think totally different. For one, we'd already passed the point of "peaceful protest" when these terrorists were inside the cap building and had already injured the police officer depicted in the video posted above.

If we are limiting it to just being shot by LE, then I can only think of rubber bullet examples.  But, there was still significant unnecessary violence against actual peaceful protests by law enforcement.  All of that still counts.

Here's a Google spreadsheet detailing incidents that was compiled by a conservative attorney

It's not a short list.  There is no shortage of footage that most of us have seen at least some of. 

The response yesterday by law enforcement was in stark contrast to responses at BLM protests this summer, especially considering that it was at the Capitol. 
And this is the comparison and response a BLM march / protest that was closer to the Lincoln Memorial which I guessing we would all agree needs less security than the freaking Capitol building.  This was not some accidental lack of preparation or whoops, we screwed up. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/07/us/police-response-black-lives-matter-protest-us-capitol/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread