Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

January 6th - what will happen?

3 minutes ago, Zow said:

I agree. They have to feel betrayed. 

The problem is they seem to feel betrayed as in, "we need someone tougher than Trump to lead the movement" and not "we feel  betrayed because Trump and his crew have been lying to them for the last 4 years" 

• Like 2
  • Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The President told MAGA to do it MAGA said they were going to do it MAGA filmed themselves doing it Afterwards, MAGA bragged about it Clearly, it was ANTIFA’s fault

So they're finally following the CDC guidelines for the pandemic?

One is an ugly, decrepit wasteland ruled by an assortment of villains hoping to impose their will on peace-loving people everywhere who otherwise just want to be left alone to tend to their gardens.

43 minutes ago, expo86 said:

My best buddy just sent me a Ring video of his side window getting shot out last night (probably with a BB gun) by a plain white van that drove by slowly  His neighbor had a car window smashed and their tires slashed. They both have liberal lawn signs up (BLM & Pride stuff). Cops had received a lot of reports apparently but I haven't seen anything make the news.

:(I missed the days when they just tried to sell you speakers.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, culdeus said:

So the cop that die was bludgeoned to death with a fire extinguisher (only the best people, right)

https://twitter.com/stevennelson10/status/1346900228264308737

This tweet came to mind from me yesterday.  Guys firing off the extinguisher.  Wonder if the officer that is now passed is here.  (Or specifically the murderers)

JFC

• Sad 1
47 minutes ago, expo86 said:

My best buddy just sent me a Ring video of his side window getting shot out last night (probably with a BB gun) by a plain white van that drove by slowly  His neighbor had a car window smashed and their tires slashed. They both have liberal lawn signs up (BLM & Pride stuff). Cops had received a lot of reports apparently but I haven't seen anything make the news.

Probably something more than a BB or pellet gun.  I've seen tons of windows with BB holes in them, can't remember one with the pane shattering from one.  Growing up in a small rural AL town, I've seen my share of them.

10 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Good to hear about the team. I like good news. Wish ya the best of seasons ... unless/until ya meet me Cardinals! 🐦

On the rest, I wish I had the words to express my feelings, but alas - I lack the word ability.

My user-name must suffice ... tho, I do believe the "Constant" is hyperbole. 😃

Sadly fitting name for the recent times. Makes me happy just to chill in my own little world and mostly deal with teenagers for my job. Better manners, better behaved, far more reasonable than most adults these days. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Oh god no. There are twitter accounts that post Parler screenshots. 

"so you know it's legit" :shrug:

I could cherry pick tweets all day and create whatever narrative I wanted. What a waste of time and energy. Oh, and half of them would be bots, parodies or straight up fakes. You can do so much better for entertainment.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:
7 minutes ago, culdeus said:

So the cop that die was bludgeoned to death with a fire extinguisher (only the best people, right)

This tweet came to mind from me yesterday.  Guys firing off the extinguisher.  Wonder if the officer that is now passed is here.  (Or specifically the murderers)

JFC

Is there some source for this bludgeoned to death part?

• Thanks 1
Just now, RnR said:

I could cherry pick tweets all day and create whatever narrative I wanted. What a waste of time and energy. Oh, and half of them would be bots, parodies or straight up fakes. You can do so much better for entertainment.

It is entertaining regardless of what it is. Whether it's a bot or just one singular person, it is entertaining but not representative of anything more than a random polling of individual thoughts. Obviously only the most whacky ones are picked to post. 

8 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Damn. NPR is reporting the DOJ is conducting a murder investigation (duh). The penalty for 1st degree murder in the federal system is either life in prison or the death penalty.

The federal felony murder statute encompasses burglary (breaking in and stealing stuff). Felony murder means you can be on the hook for a murder that one of your accomplices commits if you are committing a burglary.

Merrick Garland was one of the top prosecutors on the McVeigh death penalty case. It will be interesting to see how the DOJ handles this. There's zero chance they charge any of the terrorists who weren't actively engaged in the murder. There's a lot of getaway drivers on death row right now, but we definitely won't see that here.

Edited by Rirruto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Just now, the moops said:

I have not seen that. Source for the death was the Capital Hill Police Union. They gave no details though. 

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I know folks want to see Trump impeached or get the 25th. I know they want to see him punished for what he did yesterday, I feel that way myself. 
But honestly it’s better for the country to let him be in the White House another 13 days. Let him play golf and pardon more cronies. And then let him go away. 
I want to be done with the Trump era. 

He is not in the WH, as he fled DC to set up his base of operations at Camp David.

8 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Where are you seeing this?

Just now, culdeus said:

Is there another way to die by fire extinguisher?

I assume he is questioning the fire extinguisher part too 

6 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

All previous evidence to the contrary. 

Thanks Nick.

Honestly, my ability to put my thoughts to word cycles. Sometimes, I can express things - other times I only produce smoke. 

Currently, I'm  pretty smokey. 

But, I can say that I prolly should have clarified that my wrath lies much more with the manipulators than the manipulated. 

Thus, the sorrow.

• Love 1

Sadly fitting name for the recent times. Makes me happy just to chill in my own little world and mostly deal with teenagers for my job. Better manners, better behaved, far more reasonable than most adults these days. 

You're a good man, 80's.

I've said it often and will say it again.

Edited by Man of Constant Sorrow
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Ilov80s said:

It is entertaining regardless of what it is. Whether it's a bot or just one singular person, it is entertaining but not representative of anything more than a random polling of individual thoughts. Obviously only the most whacky ones are picked to post. 

When it's an account that collects them for the sake of a narrative, I think it's actually kinda dangerous, tbh. You're smart enough to know what they're doing, but a bunch of people don't. It's mind-bending stuff if you immerse yourself in it day after day. People start believing that a large portion of the population acts/thinks that way and they quickly become "the enemy."

I'd argue that this type of social silo-ing is a huge contributor to the divide in this country.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:
1 hour ago, culdeus said:

This is the first I'm hearing of an officer being injured, let alone seriously.  What is the story here?

NYT reported there were 56 injured police officers including several that were hospitalized. LINK

I find it to be a little strange that this wasn't reported last night. Usually "56 police injured" is a top-of-the-fold kind of news.

5 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:

Probably something more than a BB or pellet gun.  I've seen tons of windows with BB holes in them, can't remember one with the pane shattering from one.  Growing up in a small rural AL town, I've seen my share of them.

I should say, he didn't send a picture of the window and his description of it being "shot out" could be just heavily cracked. I'm going to choose to trust him on it being less than a firearm because it feels less threatening :(

3 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

I find it to be a little strange that this wasn't reported last night. Usually "56 police injured" is a top-of-the-fold kind of news.

It was.  But I think it was reported as 14 last night

1 minute ago, RnR said:

When it's an account that collects them for the sake of a narrative, I think it's actually kinda dangerous, tbh. You're smart enough to know what they're doing, but a bunch of people don't. It's mind-bending stuff if you immerse yourself in it day after day. People start believing that a large portion of the population acts/thinks that way and they quickly become "the enemy."

I'd argue that this type of social silo-ing is a huge contributor to the divide in this country.

I agree with that. People may mistake the entertainment for a massive representation of the country. The thing is there are definitely some people thinking this way and it's more than it used to be. It is concerning. Yesterday was like all the things I've seen reported from Parler come to life. Yes the account is painting a very certain narrative but it's a narrative that does exist with a small but dedicated group of people. 

6 minutes ago, the moops said:

I have not seen that. Source for the death was the Capital Hill Police Union. They gave no details though. 

This article says "died after they were hit in the head with a fire extinguisher by a rioter."

Doesn't necessarily mean he was bludgeoned, though. It could have been a light hit which triggered a stroke, or a fall, or something else.

3 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

This article says "died after they were hit in the head with a fire extinguisher by a rioter."

Doesn't necessarily mean he was bludgeoned, though. It could have been a light hit which triggered a stroke, or a fall, or something else.

Every article i can find quotes alex limon. 

A police officer with the U.S. Capitol Police died from a stroke after being at the Capitol during riots, according to the force's union Chairman Gus Papathanasiou.

Oops link

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wusa9.com/amp/article/news/local/dc/us-capitol-police-chief-resigns-officer-dies-from-stroke/65-b5de01a6-defb-403f-8380-4aa85c30b3cb

Edited by belljr
4 minutes ago, the moops said:

Hmm

Reuters: Capitol Police say the reports of the death of an office at the Capitol on Wednesday are not accurate

https://twitter.com/Rover829/status/1347352982577422338?s=20

Interesting. Even local Washington DC press reported it and attributed to the Police Union

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/dc/us-capitol-police-chief-resigns-officer-dies-from-stroke/65-b5de01a6-defb-403f-8380-4aa85c30b3cb

25 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I know folks want to see Trump impeached or get the 25th. I know they want to see him punished for what he did yesterday, I feel that way myself. 
But honestly it’s better for the country to let him be in the White House another 13 days. Let him play golf and pardon more cronies. And then let him go away. 

He's not going to go away. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, belljr said:

A police officer with the U.S. Capitol Police died from a stroke after being at the Capitol during riots, according to the force's union Chairman Gus Papathanasiou.

Oops link

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wusa9.com/amp/article/news/local/dc/us-capitol-police-chief-resigns-officer-dies-from-stroke/65-b5de01a6-defb-403f-8380-4aa85c30b3cb

Not sure the mechanics behind what can cause a stroke but even if had nothing to do with the events, he potentially not able to get the immediate medical assistance he deserved. 

A 40 year old dying of a stroke.  Seems fishy as he'll.  Reporters and congressman are running with the fire extinguisher thing.  Which can ya know cause a stroke in a 40 yo.

18 minutes ago, RnR said:

Since I'm commenting tonight, I'll try to explain why 80's post prompted me to chime in.

It is not about whether the "tweets" (or whatever a parler post is called) are legit; it is about their existence and potential negative impact on susceptible eyes and ears.

Optimists hoped that the recession of DJT could help recede some of the thinking displayed here.

If this phenomenon continues and/or grows by dumping Trump for bigger and better things - well - that optimism diminishes.

I'm not always an optimist, but I like to think the potential exists.

Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, timschochet said:

My concern is his supporters. They're not going anywhere. 

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, timschochet said:

My concern is that there is now a 2 week period where a hostile nation could do something really really bad and we would be paralyzed in dealing with it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
12 minutes ago, Death Bytes said:

My concern is his supporters. They're not going anywhere. 

His hardcore supporters feeling betrayed by his words tonight is the best thing that could happen for America, as it would make it harder for him to keep riling them up once he is out of office, but I suspect any feelings of betrayal will be fleeting; all it will take are a few kind words from him again and they will be back in the fold.  So, in short, yeah, it will remain a major concern. 

30 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

Note: the same article has already been changed to say "US Capitol Police say reports of officer death not accurate."

22 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

And this article has been changed to say "on life support".

Neither article has disclosed the cause of the officer's injury.

2 hours ago, Sammy3469 said:

Josh has a sad because of his seditious behavior:

https://twitter.com/hawleymo/status/1347327743004995585?s=21

Justin Amash introduced me to a new phrase today: "woke populism":

"Justin Amash @justinamash

This doesn’t violate the First Amendment, which he must know. But part of woke populism, Hawley’s act, is a willingness to make fantastically disingenuous claims to achieve maximum victimhood."

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

A local WUSA (CBS affiliate) reporter here in DC says that the Union chief tells him the officer has not passed away, but is on life support until family can arrive. 

I was speaking about the fire extinguisher part of it. 

11 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

Note: the same article has already been changed to say "US Capitol Police say reports of officer death not accurate."

And this article has been changed to say "on life support".

Neither article has disclosed the cause of the officer's injury.

Statement from US Capitol Police: “Media reports regarding the death of a United States Capitol Police (USCP) officer are not accurate.  Although some officers were injured and hospitalized yesterday, no USCP officers have passed away.”

4 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

Justin Amash introduced me to a new phrase today: "woke populism":

"Justin Amash @justinamash

This doesn’t violate the First Amendment, which he must know. But part of woke populism, Hawley’s act, is a willingness to make fantastically disingenuous claims to achieve maximum victimhood."

I like it, that is definitely a thing we see. I really like Amash. Unlike Graham or Cruz or Rubio, he stands by his conservative principles and wasn't willing to break them to support Trump. 

45 minutes ago, RnR said:

I think this is good, and I agree.

Unfortunately, I have some family and friends that I love dearly that have been swept up by some of  the more outlandish "theories" propagated on social media. So, I won't say it is a "large proportion" of the population, cause I have no clue on the actual number.

However, for me, it is a "significant proportion" - not significant as in necessarily large, but significant in its importance to me.

I care about them.