What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6th - what will happen? (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, as I read Hawley's statement, I thought to myself, "I'd be very surprised, and a bit disappointed, if Biden referred to them as Nazis. I would have thought Biden to be above such things."  Naturally, when I did my research on Biden's actual statements, I learned that Hawley made it up.  No longer surprised.
A little more on what was actually said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/533449-biden-says-cruz-other-republicans-responsible-for-big-lie-that-fueled

Nothing that Biden said was wrong here. He compared Trump's tactic of lying over and over and over again with the same message (a method he himself has admitted to in the past) to that of Joseph Goebels who also engaged in the same tactic. He then called out Cruz and others as acolytes for supporting these lies. Simple fact. Just more of the same sad behavior that has come to represent this faction of the Republican party. Behave badly and then howl like a victim in feigned disgust for being called out for your behavior. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume you try to avoid charging these guys (and the mom? lol)  till Trump leaves office under the assumption he'll pardon them.

The paper trail these Maga guys leave is really coming back to bite them. Face search tools are just so powerful now given social media to press against.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
So my kid shared a Tik Tok with me earlier that was kind of funny. It showcased all the different flags at the insurrection. There were flags from multiple geographic places. Kind of odd but ok. The best was there was a flag from Georgia. I'm guessing someone went to Amazon and had it delivered prime just in time to bring along and protest the fraud in Georgia. Only thing is...it was the flag of the country of Georgia. 
Can you share the video?

I would assume you try to avoid charging these guys (and the mom? lol)  till Trump leaves office under the assumption he'll pardon them.

The paper trail these Maga guys leave is really coming back to bite them. Face search tools are just so powerful now given social media to press against.
Pardons are only good for crimes you’ve been charged with or convicted of, right?  Maybe they bait Trump by charging them with something minor to start.  

And a lot (most?) appearing not to wear masks. 

If a person says "That's a nice Capitol we got there. Be a shame if something happened to it," then the quote itself might not be evidence of incitement.

However, if that person says the above quote to a crowd of angry people, and that crowd subsequently trashes the Capitol, and the person follows up by saying "We love you" and "You're very special", and also prevents security from interfering with the rioting........then I think we may have reached "beyond reasonable doubt" status.
I don’t agree. 

Pardons are only good for crimes you’ve been charged with or convicted of, right?  Maybe they bait Trump by charging them with something minor to start.  
Trump could give them blanket pardons.  It think more than anything the career prosecutors will wait for the Biden administration to determine how they want/if they want to charge these rioters with the more serious crimes.  Figure out who everyone was first, if there was a larger conspiracy, and then charge sedition if you want.  

Having said that I do think it’s a mistake to give these yahoos bail (if that’s what they are doing).

The vet. Said he wore tactical gear to protect against antifa. And that he just picked up the zip ties and was planning to give them to Capitol Police.
 How about don't enter restricted areas in the first place? Be one less person Capitol Police have to deal with. Pretty weak sauce from this guy. He should know better. 

The vet. Said he wore tactical gear to protect against antifa. And that he just picked up the zip ties and was planning to give them to Capitol Police.
Yeah, i dont buy that he was going to give the ties to the police, but if you look at the twitter thread from the guy that ID'd him, the zip ties were more than likely not brought in, but found on scene. That thread showed at least one raided capitol police bag. 

Culdeus linked the thread above. 

Yeah, i dont buy that he was going to give the ties to the police, but if you look at the twitter thread from the guy that ID'd him, the zip ties were more than likely not brought in, but found on scene. That thread showed at least one raided capitol police bag. 

Wait....you mean they weren’t actively trying to take hostages using the zip ties like many in here claimed? 

You haven’t heard about our law enforcement zip tie shortage?

As I was looking at these pictures, I just couldn't help but think to myself, "I bet she makes some killer biscuits and gravy."
Funny you say that. I'm finding myself picturing these folks at home doing normal stuff too. I'm conflicted. On one hand I'm disgusted. On the other I have empathy. If these folks seriously thought that their election was stolen I can understand their anger and even their reaction to a certain level. It makes me livid that Trump and his boot lickers conned so many into believing that their democracy and voice had been defiled. People need to be accountable for their actions and I hope those who broke into the Capitol get appropriate punishment. Still, everytime I watch footage from Wednesday I find myself muttering to myself something like "those poor deluded fools" and feeling genuinely sorry for them.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
bigbottom said:
parasaurolophus said:
Do you mean the vet or farrow?
And he was just holding the cigarettes for a friend!

I'm fascinated by Maga barbie.  Someone let me know when they find her.  I can't wait to see her tears. 

bigbottom said:
Of course he’s not going to just come out and say he committed multiple felonies. He had time to make up his excuses/defense. IMO, they hold no water with me, but not unexpected that these guys would be cowards and not stand behind their actions.

Couple of big names arrested today:

Jacob Chansley - AKA Elk man

Adam Johnson - AKA Pelosi Podium guy. 

Johnson in particular will be trading in a life as a stay-at-home dad, while his wife works as a doctor, to life as a stay in jail dad.
Big mistake to arrest them now instead of the 20th, IMO.

Couple of big names arrested today:

Jacob Chansley - AKA Elk man

Adam Johnson - AKA Pelosi Podium guy. 

Johnson in particular will be trading in a life as a stay-at-home dad, while his wife works as a doctor, to life as a stay in jail dad.
Assuming there are multiple legitimate charges that can be levied against Chansley and Johnson:

Could they be arrested today, say, for vandalism, and then pardoned by Trump -- and then arrested again on 1/21 for trespassing (or whatever)? Or is that kind of double-jeopardy dirty pool?

Also, just spitballing but: was it at all possible that these men were arrested on local or state charges for things unrelated to the Capitol incursion? So that they wouldn't be pardonable by the President? And then they could face federal charges starting on 1/21?

In Spanish language media in South Florida,  lies and conspiracy theories about a stolen election and storming of the capitol abound. Spanish language media contributed in a big way to Trump's success in Florida.

>>“You can put on a radio station at anytime and you can find the same narrative: The election has been stolen.

Tejera said an important distinction in Spanish-language media is that “it’s in a different language, so nobody pays attention to what we do. We get away with murder.”

“Antifa sent busloads of people to Washington,” host Lucy Pereda said on Thursday on WWFE’s La Poderosa 670 AM. “There are photos of antifa people inside the Capitol … They are the ones who started the assault, and Trump supporters just followed them.”<<

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article248354325.html

Assuming there are multiple legitimate charges that can be levied against Chansley and Johnson:

Could they be arrested today, say, for vandalism, and then pardoned by Trump -- and then arrested again on 1/21 for trespassing (or whatever)? Or is that kind of double-jeopardy dirty pool?

Also, just spitballing but: was it at all possible that these men were arrested on local or state charges for things unrelated to the Capitol incursion? So that they wouldn't be pardonable by the President? And then they could face federal charges starting on 1/21?
Depends on the language used in the pardon - but I would not expect a pardon here.  GOP is certainly hoping for no pardons.

But, the president could pardon the conduct, rather than specific charges.  This would only apply to federal charges.  

But - and I am really uncertain here - I don't know if DC has any laws that are considered non-Federal, given the structure of DC, and how it falls under the ambit of Congress.

If Trump pardons them, I think that seals the deal to having him removed.  Even if he waits until the 19th, an impeachment would take away his pension, and he could be barred from any future political office.  I'm not convinced he's willing to trade his political future for an elk man.

Of course he’s not going to just come out and say he committed multiple felonies. He had time to make up his excuses/defense. IMO, they hold no water with me, but not unexpected that these guys would be cowards and not stand behind their actions.
“No TSA officer.  I don’t know how that pot got in my bag.  It’s my sister’s bag.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread