What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6th - what will happen? (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There might be a little less of that if we ever heard an official version from LE.

Five days since the violence at our nation’s Capitol. from Twitterverse last night:

In the almost 10 years I've hosted a cable news show, I've had a lot of occassion (unfortunately) to cover massive acts of violence from mass shootings to terrorist attacks to large scale protests that have turned violent.

In *each and every case* - no matter what jurisdiction, from the largest city to the tiniest rural county, local law enforcement gives some kind of media briefing after the event is over. Often these happen in middle of the night or wee hours of the morning.

Often they're repeated multiple times a day to give updated information: how many police officers were killed or hurt, how many civilians were killed or hurt, how many people are hospitalized, who has been apprehended, and who is still at large, and what suspects are being sought

I cannot believe that it's now been FOUR DAYS since the most consequential attack on the seat of US government since 1812 and there has been, as far as I can tell NOT A SINGLE BRIEFING FROM FEDERAL AUTHORITIES. 

What on earth is going on? 

I have never seen anything like this.

There is so little we know! Everyone is piecing things together from interviews w elected, first-hand accounts and some incredible reporting, but basically no official information.

@chrislhayes

Amazing there is still such a vacuum.
They have put more than 120 people on the no-fly list and have by all accounts identified every single person in their wanted list, and are in the process of arresting them.  Who GAF if they get up on camera at this point.  We know they are working this stuff as we drink the tears of the MAGA terrorists.  

They are 100% full court pressing here and even considering murder charges on some, charges that could bring the ####### death penalty.

culdeus said:
They have put more than 120 people on the no-fly list and have by all accounts identified every single person in their wanted list, and are in the process of arresting them.  Who GAF if they get up on camera at this point.  We know they are working this stuff as we drink the tears of the MAGA terrorists.  

They are 100% full court pressing here and even considering murder charges on some, charges that could bring the ####### death penalty.
They employ a lot of people. It's not too much to ask that one of those people, who isn't actively doing the grunt work to find and charge people, to stand before some cameras and tell the nation (the people they work for) what's going on. We all understand they can't tell us everything. Yeah, we might complain about that sometimes, but we understand and we (again, the people they work for) want updates.

It may seem inconsequential and it may seem inefficient. Much of government is inefficient. But, it's procedural. And many procedures exist for a reason. 

culdeus said:

The delicious irony in all this is that those insurgents who felt strongly compelled to occupy a Federal building?  When their trials are complete, they'll be occupying another type of Federal building for a loooong time. 

This is a powerful opinion piece from CNN, where the black author presents a strong argument that what occurred was "white supremacy, pure and simple."  While Joe Biden says "America is better than this," the author states that, sadly, "America is this."

parasaurolophus said:
This whole event is an amazing illustration of how easily misinformation spreads from one single source and it continues to happen.
Our media prioritizes being first to being right because that reflects our citizenry's priorities.

Seems like this is just getting started.  The 16th-20th seem like they have the possibility that they are going to be horrendous.

https://twitter.com/JoshMargolin/status/1348672731286532096?s=20 
One thing I've noticed is that there tends to be an inverse proportion between "civil unrest" and "warnings about civil unrest". In other words, the more it gets reported -- the more the flashlight shines on it -- the less likely it is to happen.

There was very little mainstream talk about Trump supporters storming the Capitol prior to last week. But now that everyone knows what Trump supporters are capable of, then the likelihood of activity has been reduced.

Not to mention the fact that many previously-silent Republican leaders and churches have finally spoken out against Trump. That will also help to tamp down the likelihood of more conflict.

Seems like this is just getting started.  The 16th-20th seem like they have the possibility that they are going to be horrendous.

I really don't think so, but if it is being planned, it's being planned way underground and is likely much more nefarious in nature, so you'll have to trust the FBI on this one.

The event on the 6th was broadcast for everyone to see for weeks on twitter/facebook and practically all the "conservative leaders" online were encouraging attendance.

If you take a look around, you don't see any of that happening for any of these events that are supposedly being planned around inauguration day.  

But again, that doesn't mean that events aren't being planned outside of social media.  

Didn’t really see this reported by media unless every blue checkmark  on Twitter is media. 
Is twitter a form of media? and does this sorta thing only exist in twitter? I don't think getting lost in the semantics is productive for anyone. 
Come on, man. Twitter is not "The Media". When you go down that path, then you're justifying every Qanon whacko who says "It must be true, I saw it reported on Twitter."

One thing I've noticed is that there tends to be an inverse proportion between "civil unrest" and "warnings about civil unrest". In other words, the more it gets reported -- the more the flashlight shines on it -- the less likely it is to happen.

There was very little mainstream talk about Trump supporters storming the Capitol prior to last week. But now that everyone knows what Trump supporters are capable of, then the likelihood of activity has been reduced.

Not to mention the fact that many previously-silent Republican leaders and churches have finally spoken out against Trump. That will also help to tamp down the likelihood of more conflict.

Is twitter a form of media? and does this sorta thing only exist in twitter? I don't think getting lost in the semantics is productive for anyone. 
Twitter is a medium of communication, so sure it’s part of the media.  But it’s not a news-gathering organization with editorial standards, which is how I perceived you to be using the phrase. 

From my experience as a DC resident, I think there was a lot of talk, if not specifically directed to storming the capital, at least to the expectation that these protests would be violent. The mayor advised residents to stay out of downtown NW. 

Come on, man. Twitter is not "The Media". When you go down that path, then you're justifying every Qanon whacko who says "It must be true, I saw it reported on Twitter."
I agree that we shouldn't include Twitter itself when we talk about "the media," but every significant media figure is on Twitter.  Following a few is a really good remedy for deifying "the media."

culdeus said:
Moreover, Parler encourages users to hand over more identifying information than Facebook or Twitter. Users could previously upload identification – such as a drivers’ license – to the site in order to receive a “verified real person” badge, similar to Twitter’s blue tick.  

“[Law enforcement] can just subpoena AWS once people start digging through this stuff. remember: those people were dumb enough to give Parler photos of their IDs”, the hacker tweeted.  
Oh my.....
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh my.....
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
"It is too late to scrub your data, and its already archived. There is nothing you can do to prevent what’s already happened. All you can do is prepare for the fallout”, a message purportedly from the North Central Florida Patriots Telegram chat shared with The Independent read.

From my experience as a DC resident, I think there was a lot of talk, if not specifically directed to storming the capital, at least to the expectation that these protests would be violent. The mayor advised residents to stay out of downtown NW. 
She also publicly stated she wanted no extra federal law enforcement personnel deployed without coordinating with MPD and that MPD was prepared for all the activities and had it under control and had coordinated with Capitol Police, Park Police, and had DC national guard called up for traffic duty and crowd control, but wanted them unarmed. 

UPDATE: Sources tell @BuzzFeedNews  a "disgruntled staffer" is behind the State Department site's change of Trump and Pence's biographies. More TK.

it was probably Pence.

https://www.rawstory.com/lauren-boebert-twitter/

I don't care about the source, the question is whether Lauren Boebert (freshman Republican representative from Colorado who made headlines for saying she was carrying a Glock into Congress and who is apparently a Qanon acolyte) tweeted encouragement and instructions to the people who stormed the Capitol. Apparently she tweeted "this is 1776"... and also let them know when Pelosi left the chambers.... 

I don't care about the source, the question is whether Lauren Boebert (freshman Republican representative from Colorado who made headlines for saying she was carrying a Glock into Congress and who is apparently a Qanon acolyte) tweeted encouragement and instructions to the people who stormed the Capitol. Apparently she tweeted "this is 1776"... and also let them know when Pelosi left the chambers.... 
I'd considered starting a thread on her.  She's quite the, um, conservative.  She was speaking on the floor with a lot of fervor just as the uprising outside the Capitol building was getting started.  I'm not a fan.

Here is her twitter timeline. 

Tweet in question says

The Speaker has been removed from the chambers

BuzzFeed News @BuzzFeedNews

NEW: A disgruntled State Department employee changed the biographies of President Trump and Vice President Pence to say their term was coming to an end on Monday, nine days before Biden is sworn in
I believe they mean "disgruntled former State Department employee".

Another person who deserves to lose her seat under the terms of the 14th amendment.

I don't know if she deleted it, or if her twitter timeline shows it, but she definitely posted the "This is 1776" stuff.  I'm pretty sure I saw it and posted it here too.  

I think Boebert is the most interesting candidate for the 14th.   Like it or not, Hawley and Cruz were exercising an established procedure for lodging objections 

Boebert sure seems, to me, to be doing something else. I get that she can argue ambiguity. Maybe even successfully in the criminal context. But in the context of a procedure reserved by the Constitution to Congress?  I think removal is entirely appropriate. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Boebert is the most interesting candidate for the 14th.   Like it or not, Hawley and Cruz were exercising an established procedure for lodging objections 

Boebert sure seems, to me, to be doing something else. I get that she can argue ambiguity. Maybe even successfully in the criminal context. But in the context of a procedure reserved by the Constitution to Congress?  I think removal is entirely appropriate. 
Yep. I don't think she committed an actual crime (like I don't think Trump committed an actual crime), but her actions (like Trump's) could be a prima face case for removal or other sanction based on her position. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread