What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6th - what will happen? (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FBI and DOJ saying they're treating this just like an international terrorist attack, using sedition laws, looking at travel records, social media and etc, and working out what the command and control looked like is music to my ears. 

There's not much you can do if a group decides it's going to rise up against the government, but it's encouraging that federal law enforcement seems to have gotten the memo that it needs to fight that effort with every tool available.

Jake Sherman @JakeSherman

DOJ says they are looking at “significant felony cases tied to sedition and conspiracy."

Last edited by a moderator:
The FBI and DOJ saying they're treating this just like an international terrorist attack, using sedition laws, looking at travel records, social media and etc, and working out what the command and control looked like is music to my ears. 

There's not much you can do if a group decides it's going to rise up against the government, but it's encouraging that federal law enforcement seems to have gotten the memo that it needs to fight that effort with every tool available.
FBI aren't messing around.  I'd be quite scared if I had been in that building.

Maybe the defense attorney is comfortable speaking that way publicly because of all the people that he knows for sure can sanction him, he's confident that none of them will care what he said.

"Chain of command" just means whoever it is he reports to in real life -- public defenders don't work independently, do they? I figured they'd be part of a bureaucracy.
It really doesn't work this way at all. Public defense genuinely isn't partisan. And, regards to his possible sanctions, it'd be the client making a complaint to the federal bar association - which also isn't a political body. 

I get that everything today seems partisan, but I think I can fairly say that for 99% of the lawyers that work in criminal justice that it really isn't at all a partisan endeavor. And frankly defense attorneys represent clients all the time with ideologies the lawyer may disagree with or have undertaken actions that are reprehensible. Most of us have the ability to set that all aside and do our jobs - and the few who can't probably don't have the job for long. 
Then I'm just totally shuked about what that attorney is doing. If someone described that situation to me without seeing the video on Twitter, I'd have thought the defense attorney seriously risked heavy sanctions or even disbarment. Apparently not.

FBI aren't messing around.  I'd be quite scared if I had been in that building.
Saw some video the other day that was ove rmy head, but was talking about how The Capitol has its own wifi network and bluetooth beaconing or some ####. And how anyone that was in the building from certain times, so long as they had a cell phone on them, will be caught. Or at least the feds will know who was in there

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Saw some video the other day that was ove rmy head, but was talking about how The Capitol has its own wifi network and bluetooth beaconing or some ####. And how anyone that was in the building from certain times, so long as they had a cell phone on them, will be caught. Or at least the feds will know who was in there
Oh, good. Now they can catch all the Antifa rioters who stole Trump supporter's phones!

Not a dumb question. I assume the BOP has regulations on this, but don’t really know. I assume he found out in the first place when the guards laughed uproariously after he asked if his meal was organic. 
I'm not going to cheer his mistreatment (and I hope he's not mistreated), but I'm going to LOLOL at him having to explain to dietary choices to his fellow seditionists.

The US Atty holding this press conference on tracking down the rioters is crushing this.

If you were there you are so screwed. 

Bravo.
I'm happy about this but have hate the government big brother stuff since Echelon in the 90's.  Just shows how delusional these people are that they thought they were going to overthrow the government.

Not a dumb question. I assume the BOP has regulations on this, but don’t really know. I assume he found out in the first place when the guards laughed uproariously after he asked if his meal was organic. 
I'm not going to cheer his mistreatment (and I hope he's not mistreated), but I'm going to LOLOL at him having to explain to dietary choices to his fellow seditionists.
I hope he hasn't requested fancy mustard too or it's all over.

Cuomo's question of "why does he deserve your help?" is disgusting and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the system - which is alarming given that Cuomo is a lawyer. 
I totally disagree.  He's not a judge, and these guys aren't public defenders.   It's a valid question why high profile attorneys are choosing to defend a looter that was part of an insurrection.   

I swear these guys would have had a harder time getting into my local traffic court. In order to pay a $20 parking ticket you need to pass thru a metal detector and throw everything in your pockets into a tray.

I swear these guys would have had a harder time getting into my local traffic court. In order to pay a $20 parking ticket you need to pass thru a metal detector and throw everything in your pockets into a tray.
Based on how 1/6 went down and the life-changing ####storm that's hitting the perps, I'd think the number of people willing to go through with this again will be much smaller on the 17th, or Inauguration Day.  Or ever. 

And if they do they will not get another free shot at it -- they'll be stopped.

Id like to read about this.  Have a link?

I totally disagree.  He's not a judge, and these guys aren't public defenders.   It's a valid question why high profile attorneys are choosing to defend a looter that was part of an insurrection.   
The bold isn't what was asked. Cuomo specifically asked, "why does he deserve your help?" It's a fundamental tenet and hallmark of our criminal justice system that even the worst of us deserves a competent defense. If these guys can provide it, the why is irrelevant. 

The bold isn't what was asked. Cuomo specifically asked, "why does he deserve your help?" It's a fundamental tenet and hallmark of our criminal justice system that even the worst of us deserves a competent defense. If these guys can provide it, the why is irrelevant. 
He's not saying that he doesn't deserve a defense.  He's asking these particular lawyers why they are taking on this case.   Totally valid question for a journalist.

You realize you don't need to take every case that comes in your door, right?   

One of the men that many right wing apologists on Twitter used as evidence of "Antifa" leading the riot has been arrested in Alabama. The basis for their belief was a supposed "hammer and sickle" tattoo on the back of one of his hands.

Shockingly, he isn't Antifa. In actuality, the tattoo is from the video game Dishonored. The man even complained on Snapchat that the "fake news" was calling him Antifa:
I just gotta say, Dishonored is a ####### great game, and that's pretty hardcore of this guy to get the Outsider's Mark tattooed on his hand.  He's got good taste in video games, at least.

LOL 

Jacob Chansley, AKA Jake Angeli, Arizona man makes first court appearance in for charges related to storming the U.S. Capitol. His mom says he hasn’t eaten since Friday because the detention facility won’t feed him all organic food. @abc15 https://t.co/doTLFal4At

My understanding is that a judge has granted an order for Angeli to be served organic food. 

im as guilty of the schadenfreude as anyone, considering the no-fly list stuff, but I do hope that instead of cheering when these guys face the type of draconian treatment so other criminal defendants face, that we don’t cheer it out of a sense of fairness. The discussion of the felony murder rule is another good example. 

I gotta admit - the guy's shtick on the organic food in prison is next level shtick.

:lol:

The emphasis was on the word "your" and not deserve. He was emphatic about what he was getting at. He even mentioned he was lucky to have a rich/doctor wife unlike most defendants. Repeated it in hand off conversation with Lemon. You should rewatch.

Jonathan Martin @jmartNYT

NEW: McConnell believes Trump committed impeachable offenses, believes the attack on Capitol gives Rs a chance to purge the president
As the kids say, WHOA!, if true.
What's sad is: the Republicans always had the power and the ability to free themselves of the President. I don't mean via a probe or an impeachment or anything like that. I mean merely by sticking to way-back-when principles and doing what they knew to be right without fearing "what Trump would do" or "what Trump voters would do". Or "will I get primaried?"

What's sad is: the Republicans always had the power and the ability to free themselves of the President. I don't mean via a probe or an impeachment or anything like that. I mean merely by sticking to way-back-when principles and doing what they knew to be right without fearing "what Trump would do" or "what Trump voters would do". Or "will I get primaried?"
This is true and I loved the comment, but I'll add that they even had more cover to create their distance from him during the first impeachment (who could've predicted we'd need a sequel? Well, some of you would have, I maybe among you...) if they'd just called Bolton as a witness and at least censured the President after it was done. That would have snapped him a bit straight, one thinks. Maybe that wouldn't have been enough. But when they caved for him, they might as well have invited him to do further things like the misinformation and incitement to which he inevitably progressed.

It really has been disheartening to see Republican lawmakers paying fealty to President Commodus.

If this is true, McConnell may be doing this in an attempt to get Trump to resign.  McConnell is the most politically savvy representative.  He doesn't need his party having to take a vote on impeachment.  It's a lose/lose.  Having a 3rd party let this slip might be one way of putting pressure on Trump.

If this is true, McConnell may be doing this in an attempt to get Trump to resign.  McConnell is the most politically savvy representative.  He doesn't need his party having to take a vote on impeachment.  It's a lose/lose.  Having a 3rd party let this slip might be one way of putting pressure on Trump.
Agreed.  I'm not sure the report makes sense.  Unless the calculation is that Trump is going to screw the party less by not being able to run again than he will if he can.

Based on how 1/6 went down and the life-changing ####storm that's hitting the perps, I'd think the number of people willing to go through with this again will be much smaller on the 17th, or Inauguration Day.  Or ever. 

And if they do they will not get another free shot at it -- they'll be stopped.
looking. but I forgot my reading glasses and damn it is hard to see. I just got these things a month ago, and what a damn crutch they are now!!

Whats the value to this outcome?
Republicans don't have to go on the record, I would think.
It would have been smarter to back-channel this.  Now MM is playing a game of chicken with Trump.  Everyone knows Trump never backs down.  There is no chance Trump goes down like Nixon.  Way to easy for him to apply labels like "deep state", "RHINO", "weak leadership", etc.

It would have been smarter to back-channel this.  Now MM is playing a game of chicken with Trump.  Everyone knows Trump never backs down.  There is no chance Trump goes down like Nixon.  Way to easy for him to apply labels like "deep state", "RHINO", "weak leadership", etc.
Resigning also gets him pardoned by Pence.

Resigning also gets him pardoned by Pence.
Ive heard this.  I just dont see Trump showing this weakness.  He would win obviously with the Pardon, but he would lose the optics of "giving in", "letting the Dems win".  That would be a heck of a stain.

Finally, do we know for sure Pence would pardon him?  Does Pence want to go down in history in this way?

Republicans don't have to go on the record, I would think.
Maybe some of them want to now. Maybe some of them think if they go on record voting for the impeachment, it'll absolve them of going along with Trump previously. In terms of "legacy" they'd have some sort of claim that they recognized his unfitness for Presidency. I think more than a few are thinking of how history will view them - and I don't think history will be kind to Trump supporters. 

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
Agreed.  I'm not sure the report makes sense.  Unless the calculation is that Trump is going to screw the party less by not being able to run again than he will if he can.
If Trump is prohibited from running again, he won't be able to pretend he's running again for 3+ years merely to accumulate a gigantic influence piggy bank. That is a big win for the Republican party, assuming they want to become untethered. When it's so bad that even corporate America is loudly pausing PACs, the party is clearly on a worsening path.

Ive heard this.  I just dont see Trump showing this weakness.  He would win obviously with the Pardon, but he would lose the optics of "giving in", "letting the Dems win".  That would be a heck of a stain.

Finally, do we know for sure Pence would pardon him?  Does Pence want to go down in history in this way?
I'll be very interested to see how history treats anyone who was an enabler ..Cruz, Hawley, all the Rs in the House who voted against the electors - and then whoever votes against any action with the 25th or impeachment.  If the authorities are using the "terrorist" word, who wants to risk their future on being viewed as "supporting" domestic terrorism?  This was such an unprecedented (and visible) act in our country's history.  I sure wouldn't want to land on the wrong side of this one (recognizing some will make the decision for political, rather than ethical, reasons).

• Love
Reactions: JAA

I'll be very interested to see how history treats anyone who was an enabler ..Cruz, Hawley, all the Rs in the House who voted against the electors - and then whoever votes against any action with the 25th or impeachment.  If the authorities are using the "terrorist" word, who wants to risk their future on being viewed as "supporting" domestic terrorism?  This was such an unprecedented (and visible) act in our country's history.  I sure wouldn't want to land on the wrong side of this one (recognizing some will make the decision for political, rather than ethical, reasons).
Agree.  Though there are a lot of people who dont think like that.  They think "me" and "now".

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
This would be great but also somehow Mitch McConnell is going to look like a hero at the end of the four years and that makes me so angry.

It’s sort of like giving somebody drugs for a decade and then claiming victory when you finally commit them to rehab.

This would be great but also somehow Mitch McConnell is going to look like a hero at the end of the four years and that makes me so angry.

It’s sort of like giving somebody drugs for a decade and then claiming victory when you finally commit them to rehab.
:goodposting:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread