Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

January 6th - what will happen?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Chaz McNulty said:

If this is true, McConnell may be doing this in an attempt to get Trump to resign.  McConnell is the most politically savvy representative.  He doesn't need his party having to take a vote on impeachment.  It's a lose/lose.  Having a 3rd party let this slip might be one way of putting pressure on Trump.

This is my thought.  He thinks he can get him to resign, Pence to pardon him and never have to actually go on record.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The President told MAGA to do it MAGA said they were going to do it MAGA filmed themselves doing it Afterwards, MAGA bragged about it Clearly, it was ANTIFA’s fault

One is an ugly, decrepit wasteland ruled by an assortment of villains hoping to impose their will on peace-loving people everywhere who otherwise just want to be left alone to tend to their gardens.

So they're finally following the CDC guidelines for the pandemic?

25 minutes ago, BigJim® said:

If Trump is prohibited from running again, he won't be able to pretend he's running again for 3+ years merely to accumulate a gigantic influence piggy bank. That is a big win for the Republican party, assuming they want to become untethered. When it's so bad that even corporate America is loudly pausing PACs, the party is clearly on a worsening path.

Yep. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

My understanding is that a judge has granted an order for Angeli to be served organic food. 
 

im as guilty of the schadenfreude as anyone, considering the no-fly list stuff, but I do hope that instead of cheering when these guys face the type of draconian treatment so other criminal defendants face, that we don’t cheer it out of a sense of fairness. The discussion of the felony murder rule is another good example. 

Yeah, and out of a sense of fairness, f this guy and his organic food request. Every other person detained/incarcerated has to eat the same institutional crap. I challenge anyone to show me any evidence that eating non-organic food makes this guy sick.

I have a lot of preferences about what I eat, too. You know what I do to make sure I am free to make good food choices? I avoid arrest and detention for committing stupid, criminal actions.

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

I'll be very interested to see how history treats anyone who was an enabler ..Cruz, Hawley, all the Rs in the House who voted against the electors - and then whoever votes against any action with the 25th or impeachment.  If the authorities are using the "terrorist" word, who wants to risk their future on being viewed as "supporting" domestic terrorism?  This was such an unprecedented (and visible) act in our country's history.  I sure wouldn't want to land on the wrong side of this one (recognizing some will make the decision for political, rather than ethical, reasons).

I think one thing they have going for them is having Harris be the Dem nominee next cycle. Give her the benefit of the doubt and see what this administration accomplish, but don’t foresee a lot of support for her (assuming Joe has no intention of running again)

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:

Yeah, and out of a sense of fairness, f this guy and his organic food request. Every other person detained/incarcerated has to eat the same institutional crap. I challenge anyone to show me any evidence that eating non-organic food makes this guy sick.

I have a lot of preferences about what I eat, too. You know what I do to make sure I am free to make good food choices? I avoid arrest and detention for committing stupid, criminal actions.

I’m not sure they’re claiming it makes him sick. Just based on his mother’s comments, I’m guessing they’re claiming it’s an aspect of his Shamanic religion. So it would be akin to forcing Muslim inmates to eat pork.  Which is an issue that tends to come up. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

What is with the news of armed people going to capitol houses in all 50 states? Congressmen were notified by the FBI.  who are these crazy people? 

I can't answer your question only that I can point out that I am worried about armed people congregating around capitol buildings these days. It doesn't sound like any of it will end well. They should be given a short leash, all things considered. I'm not even sure there shouldn't be a dispersal of the protests, 2A jurisprudence be damned for a moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I’m not sure they’re claiming it makes him sick. Just based on his mother’s comments, I’m guessing they’re claiming it’s an aspect of his Shamanic religion. So it would be akin to forcing Muslim inmates to eat pork.  Which is an issue that tends to come up. 

Hmm, that makes it interesting. I withdraw my comments, based on the new evidence, and ask for a recess to review this new evidence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I can't answer your question only that I can point out that I am worried about armed people congregating around capitol buildings these days. It doesn't sound like any of it will end well. They should be given a short leash, all things considered. I'm not even sure there shouldn't be a dispersal of the protests, 2A jurisprudence be damned for a moment.

Fire hoses seem like an appropriate deterrent this time year.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

What is with the news of armed people going to capitol houses in all 50 states? Congressmen were notified by the FBI.  who are these crazy people? 

There are fringe folks all around.  Not a party thing, just a people thing.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr roboto said:

This would be great but also somehow Mitch McConnell is going to look like a hero at the end of the four years and that makes me so angry.

It’s sort of like giving somebody drugs for a decade and then claiming victory when you finally commit them to rehab.

After last Wednesday, I'm squarely in "I'll even accept fake heroes" mindset. It was terrifying to me that we still had 140ish R's in a full gallop to autocracy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno. Last night (or was it the night before) I happened to see some congress person from South Carolina talking about Trump and this past week. Calling for unity now, think impeachment is too divisive to consider, surprised things went down the way they did, had never heard about Qanon until last Wednesday, etc. etc. I think the idea was this is representative of a moderate conservative in congress. It sounded like :bs: to me. We're going to be right back in this place again in the near future - nobody's learning their lesson, no one is changing their thinking, they're just trying to avoid being tainted with the Trump aftertaste. In two years, they'll be back to the same old same old partisan, divisive, obstructionist, minority party trying to stay dominant garbage. Maybe sooner.

Just the ignorance of the Qanon thing - either I have to believe this person is incredibly ill informed, or they're flat out lying. I lean towards the latter, but either way, this is a big problem.

Edited by Gr00vus
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaz McNulty said:

Resigning also gets him pardoned by Pence.

Are you sure Pence would pardon him? They haven't spoken since last Wednesday. Trump's supporters were chanting Hang Pence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KingPrawn said:

Are you sure Pence would pardon him? They haven't spoken since last Wednesday. Trump's supporters were chanting Hang Pence.

Someone else in this forum already suggested Pence coming out and saying, "Trump did nothing wrong, therefore he does not need a pardon."

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

I dunno. Last night (or was it the night before) I happened to see some congress person from South Carolina talking about Trump and this past week. Calling for unity now, think impeachment is too divisive to consider, surprised things went down the way they did, had never heard about Qanon until last Wednesday, etc. etc. I think the idea was this is representative of a moderate conservative in congress. It sounded like :bs: to me. We're going to be right back in this place again in the near future - nobody's learning their lesson, no one is changing their thinking, they're just trying to avoid being tainted with the Trump aftertaste. In two years, they'll be back to the same old same old partisan, divisive, obstructionist, minority party trying to stay dominant garbage. Maybe sooner.

Just the ignorance of the Qanon thing - either I have to believe this person is incredibly ill informed, or they're flat out lying. I lean towards the latter, but either way, this is a big problem.

Elected officials are really good at putting things into disconnected boxes such that they have such tunnel vision that it is not flat out lying like the rest of us might do but a very special skill to remain in the box such that the lie isn't lying.... in their mind that is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

What is with the news of armed people going to capitol houses in all 50 states? Congressmen were notified by the FBI.  who are these crazy people? 

The rumor amongst Trump "patriots" is that Trump himself is going to order the siege via the Emergency Broadcast System. 100% serious. 

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bottomfeeder Sports said:

Elected officials are really good at putting things into disconnected boxes such that they have such tunnel vision that it is not flat out lying like the rest of us might do but a very special skill to remain in the box such that the lie isn't lying.... in their mind that is. 

#### that. How dumb do they think we are that we'd believe they'd never heard of Qanon or didn't know what Qanon was about before last Wednesday?

Edited by Gr00vus
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Ana Cabrera @AnaCabrera

Several GOP sources tell CNN that if McConnell supports conviction, Trump almost certainly will be convicted by 67 senators in the impeachment trial. "If Mitch is a yes, he's done," said one Senate GOP source who asked not to be named.

The wording is still "if", but interesting the idea wasn't shot down.  I do agree if McConnell wants this to happen he can bring along the ~dozen votes he'd need to get it done.  (I'm guessing there are 53-55 Senators who'd convict without Mitch)

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
Link to post
Share on other sites

WATCH: A woman interrupted Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer during a press conference on the streets of New York on Tuesday, screaming at him and calling Schumer, who is Jewish, a "racist anti-Semite," and Hitler follower. 

At one point, she noted that she got "sexually excited" over the idea of Schumer hiding under his desk during the siege of the Capitol: "That's how much I loathe you. That's how much I'm glad what they do."

 

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/533915-woman-interrupts-schumer-press-conference-calls-him-racist-anti-semite

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

The rumor amongst Trump "patriots" is that Trump himself is going to order the siege via the Emergency Broadcast System. 100% serious. 

Yeah one of them on Facebook is saying the Italy prime minister has been arrested already and more arrest are coming in the US and abroad. This was a person that was normal 6 months ago but has completely gone off the deep end since joining Parler after the election 

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, the rover said:

He's not saying that he doesn't deserve a defense.  He's asking these particular lawyers why they are taking on this case.   Totally valid question for a journalist.

You realize you don't need to take every case that comes in your door, right?   

Of course. 

Maybe I need to hear the interview. I only read the article where it had what I assume was a verbatim transcript/account of the exchange. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

The wording is still "if", but interesting the idea wasn't shot down.  I do agree if McConnell wants this to happen he can bring along the ~dozen votes he'd need to get it done.  (I'm guessing there are 53-55 Senators who'd convict without Mitch)

I think it's clear that if McConnell wants it to happen, it's a done deal. However, and this is baseless speculation, I wonder if McConnell is floating this for the business community.

There have been several Republican senators over the past few days that have given some kind of "we'll have to see what the House sends us" line. Which is perfectly reasonable. But whatever you think of Mitch, he's a brilliant tactician. I wonder if we could be setting up for "we wanted to get convict him, but what they sent us just didn't fit" as outreach to some of the businesses and donors who have announced they'll cut funding.

You can't really say "I'm not giving money to Cruz and Hawley" and give it to NRSC anyway. I mean, you can and some will but not all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

WATCH: A woman interrupted Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer during a press conference on the streets of New York on Tuesday, screaming at him and calling Schumer, who is Jewish, a "racist anti-Semite," and Hitler follower. 

 

I didn't realize Uncle Leo was one of these Qanon people.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rirruto said:

I think it's clear that if McConnell wants it to happen, it's a done deal. However, and this is baseless speculation, I wonder if McConnell is floating this for the business community.

There have been several Republican senators over the past few days that have given some kind of "we'll have to see what the House sends us" line. Which is perfectly reasonable. But whatever you think of Mitch, he's a brilliant tactician. I wonder if we could be setting up for "we wanted to get convict him, but what they sent us just didn't fit" as outreach to some of the businesses and donors who have announced they'll cut funding.

You can't really say "I'm not giving money to Cruz and Hawley" and give it to NRSC anyway. I mean, you can and some will but not all.

Oddly enough, IMO, Trump is the tip of the iceberg.  I want every one of the republicans spreading the stolen election lie and sowing insurrection, gone. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigJim® said:

The emphasis was on the word "your" and not deserve. He was emphatic about what he was getting at. He even mentioned he was lucky to have a rich/doctor wife unlike most defendants. Repeated it in hand off conversation with Lemon. You should rewatch.

Admittedly, I didn't watch - I only read. I'll back off my post a bit if his voice inflection provided a different context than I read. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

What is with the news of armed people going to capitol houses in all 50 states? Congressmen were notified by the FBI.  who are these crazy people? 

The people who didn't get put on the No-Fly List?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dgreen said:

How many people do we think are part of a potential Trump Militia?

A true, gun-toting trained militia?  Not many, and not organized.

I worry less about armed protestors, then I do about bombs, lone wolf attacks on politicians, and similar terror.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the Capital has put in metal detectors and a few GOP members of Congress have flipped out about it. Supposedly one set it off and shoved an officer out of his way. Haven’t seen any video or anything yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Boebert was one of them. She’s said she would bring a gun to to Capital and has arrests on her record. I guess she refused to pass through that detector or have her bag searched and somehow was still able to get in. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear my mask diligently and wish we all would, but If I had been whisked into a barricaded room while rioters are rampaging throughout the building I don’t know how receptive I’d be to a paper mask either.

 

Edited by Rustoleum
Sorry - meant to quote something from earlier and didn’t realize there were a couple more pages of discussion since then. I blame the new software.....
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Boebert was one of them. She’s said she would bring a gun to to Capital and has arrests on her record. I guess she refused to pass through that detector or have her bag searched and somehow was still able to get in. 

How is this allowed after the 6th??

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, yak651 said:

How is this allowed after the 6th??

 No clue but seems true that she tweeted she is allowed to have her gun there and it’s a Pelosi stunt.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

WATCH: A woman interrupted Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer during a press conference on the streets of New York on Tuesday, screaming at him and calling Schumer, who is Jewish, a "racist anti-Semite," and Hitler follower. 

At one point, she noted that she got "sexually excited" over the idea of Schumer hiding under his desk during the siege of the Capitol: "That's how much I loathe you. That's how much I'm glad what they do."

 

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/533915-woman-interrupts-schumer-press-conference-calls-him-racist-anti-semite

Yeesh.  She also talks about people going to Schumer and Pelosi's houses and wrecking Pelosi's gardens ..and that'll she be right there with them.  I'm not sure that was the smartest thing to say in the post-1/6 world.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

WATCH: A woman interrupted Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer during a press conference on the streets of New York on Tuesday, screaming at him and calling Schumer, who is Jewish, a "racist anti-Semite," and Hitler follower. 

At one point, she noted that she got "sexually excited" over the idea of Schumer hiding under his desk during the siege of the Capitol: "That's how much I loathe you. That's how much I'm glad what they do."

I'm not judging, but that's a kink I hadn't heard of before.

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Boebert was one of them. She’s said she would bring a gun to to Capital and has arrests on her record. I guess she refused to pass through that detector or have her bag searched and somehow was still able to get in. 

Now imagine if she was a child just trying attend school but people like her refuse to pass any reasonable gun laws. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Sam Harris, eloquent as always, on the insurrection and comparisons to the BLM protests and Seattle/Portland riots.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/230-insurrection-lies/

Listened to that last night.  My favorite line: "We can't talk about Covid or the Pearl Harbor sized hack of our government because we've got a shirtless &@$#ing viking stalking the halls of Congress."

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Sam Harris, eloquent as always, on the insurrection and comparisons to the BLM protests and Seattle/Portland riots.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/230-insurrection-lies/

If anyone has 40 minutes I would highly encourage you to listen to this podcast. He makes the point that you can be mad at two things at the same time.
 

In his mind Trump is a seditionist and an insurrectionist who deserves to be kicked out of office and followers are a danger to the US and that Trump is/has been a narcissist and sociopathic and this was apparent 5 years ago. 
 

He also lights up the left for wokeness and racial identity politics and how the MSM and left were silent about the violence over the summer. 
 

it’s such a refreshing voice to hear. I have been listening to his podcast for years and he has been attacked by the right for being too liberal and by the left for being too critical of social justice warriors and identity politics.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mr roboto said:

If anyone has 40 minutes I would highly encourage you to listen to this podcast. He makes the point that you can be mad at two things at the same time.
 

In his mind Trump is a seditionist and an insurrectionist who deserves to be kicked out of office and followers are a danger to the US and that Trump is/has been a narcissist and sociopathic and this was apparent 5 years ago. 
 

He also lights up the left for wokeness and racial identity politics and how the MSM and left were silent about the violence over the summer. 
 

it’s such a refreshing voice to hear. I have been listening to his podcast for years and he has been attacked by the right for being too liberal and by the left for being too critical of social justice warriors and identity politics.

We need more centrist voices like him and Maher who don't mind upsetting both sides.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone think that one of the contributing factors behind the Capitol riots is that the event was primarily organized online and it’s very difficult to distinguish between seriously violent people and internet tough guys?

This is a working theory, been working on it since like five minutes ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...