What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What are your thoughts on the Covid-19 Stimulus Relief Bill? (1 Viewer)

What do you think of the Bill?

• Great. It will help the people.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Ok. At least it's something.

Votes: 31 27.9%
  • Meh. Didn't really do anything.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • Awful. They gave money to everyone but Americans.

Votes: 54 48.6%

• Total voters
It's a fundamentally flawed process.  From a quick look at the 5,600 page document, I see it's organized by Federal Department.  So each Department identifies its needs (= wants).  It's a top-down approach.  The better approach - one based on service/stewardship/compassion - would have identified the primary needs of the people and worked up from there.  Start with unemployment support and small business assistance.  Lay out the needs, then set priorities and funding.  Maybe even set a funding cap ($500B?) and see how far it goes.  

Do we need $2.5 billion for the Space Force, or could that have gone to help those struggling with rent and utilities?  Etc., etc., etc.  It's so disheartening to look through that document.

Any word on evictions?  We desperately need to get some freeloaders out before the owner's lose their homes.

Never mind...CDC BS order extended until January 31.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Gigantic bill that noway most of those who voted on it came close to actually reading.

And lumping it all in with a CR was a weak move but typical.

1200 wasnt enough....why do we think 600 will be acceptable?

This does nothing to instill confidence which is the most important factor in getting us out of this. Baffling that thus is still lost on most

We have two political parties with fundamentally different ideas about the role of government in an emergency such as this one. Given that disagreement this was probably the best result we could have achieved. 

They couldn't be bothered to do the right thing and focus just on this particular situation.
This may not be a popular question. In fact, I'm pretty sure it will not be well received. I'll ask anyway. Do you find it beyond debate that 'the right thing' is for our grandkids to pay for the ineptitude of our generation's managing through covid, and its not the right thing for our generation to shoulder full consequences? 

It's a fundamentally flawed process.  From a quick look at the 5,600 page document, I see it's organized by Federal Department.  So each Department identifies its needs (= wants).  It's a top-down approach.  The better approach - one based on service/stewardship/compassion - would have identified the primary needs of the people and worked up from there.  Start with unemployment support and small business assistance.  Lay out the needs, then set priorities and funding.  Maybe even set a funding cap ($500B?) and see how far it goes.  

Do we need $2.5 billion for the Space Force, or could that have gone to help those struggling with rent and utilities?  Etc., etc., etc.  It's so disheartening to look through that document.
This

This may not be a popular question. In fact, I'm pretty sure it will not be well received. I'll ask anyway. Do you find it beyond debate that 'the right thing' is for our grandkids to pay for the ineptitude of our generation's managing through covid, and its not the right thing for our generation to shoulder full consequences? 
COVID is but one of the many things our grandkids are going to have to pay for unfortunately.  There isn't enough money in the world for us to fix that in our generation, so while I understand where you're going (I think) I'm not sure that's the right question.  COVID will end up being a drop in the bucket compared to some of the other things IMO.  All those temp tax breaks to the rich and permanent ones to businesses have pretty much destroyed us and set us up in the "too big to fail" cycle.  Yeah, we had temporarily put the train on a different track just an administration before, but it's back on that old track again.  It's not going to end well.  

The $2.5 trillion bill, which combines $900 billion of coronavirus relief with $1.4 trillion in spending, includes 10 million taxpayer dollars going to “gender programs” and $15 million for “democracy programs” in Pakistan.

:hot:

25 mil to Pakistan

This is a fundamentally flawed question when they're doing both. Our grandkids money is being stolen AND we're all shouldering the full consequences. We've just had one of the biggest spending bills in the history of our country and very little of it had anything to do with Covid-19 let alone relief for it. 

COVID is but one of the many things our grandkids are going to have to pay for unfortunately.  There isn't enough money in the world for us to fix that in our generation, so while I understand where you're going (I think) I'm not sure that's the right question.  COVID will end up being a drop in the bucket compared to some of the other things IMO.  All those temp tax breaks to the rich and permanent ones to businesses have pretty much destroyed us and set us up in the "too big to fail" cycle.  Yeah, we had temporarily put the train on a different track just an administration before, but it's back on that old track again.  It's not going to end well.  
The train has been on the same track for decades. Not sure what you considered getting on the right track? The spending has never stopped. 

Yup...just as confirming another SC justice was more important prior to the election.
The seat was open in late September. Not sure how that stopped them from getting something together in the previous 6 months before that. 

The seat was open in late September. Not sure how that stopped them from getting something together in the previous 6 months before that. 
True...but suddenly a seat came open and the Senate got busy.  Odd how that worked.

Why is any type of huge bill always filled with pork? 

Obamacare had 13,000 pages, stuff for runways at airports that nobody goes to.  Who can read and dissect 13,000 pages??

This has God knows what in 5000..who can read and dissect 5000 pages for what should be a very simple bill??

I'm with you 100%. The reason I ask is I think our generation, perhaps more than others, is sort of inseparable from the teet. I look at covid as one of many examples of our generation making poor decisions and being bailed out. Dovetailing your point, I think re-allocation of that 3T corporate gift would be a better way to fund relief. Big business doesn't want the economy upside down? Ok, contribute your windfall. I also think raising taxes to our generation is completely reasonable. You want to go maskless because it is your right as an American? Ok here's the cost of that freedom. The thought of expecting good future decisions in a consequence-less (or consequence reduced) society is a little frightening.  We seem to not get that this is not our money.   

True...but suddenly a seat came open and the Senate got busy.  Odd how that worked.
Because an appointment is pretty easy. Name a person. Go over their credentials. Vote on it. Helps when the person is highly qualified. No couple thousand extra pages of spending for each politicians pet project to deliberate for hours on end as to why it's "necessary". It's pretty much the low hanging fruit of things they can get done. 

I'm with you 100%. The reason I ask is I think our generation, perhaps more than others, is sort of inseparable from the teet. I look at covid as one of many examples of our generation making poor decisions and being bailed out. Dovetailing your point, I think re-allocation of that 3T corporate gift would be a better way to fund relief. Big business doesn't want the economy upside down? Ok, contribute your windfall. I also think raising taxes to our generation is completely reasonable. You want to go maskless because it is your right as an American? Ok here's the cost of that freedom. The thought of expecting good future decisions in a consequence-less (or consequence reduced) society is a little frightening.  We seem to not get that this is not our money.   
A majority of Americans have been wearing masks. Many have had to lose their jobs and livelihoods to lockdowns as well all in the misguided pursuit of "slowing the spread." Has it helped? Why are we then forced to pay more for the failures of government? 

I'm not for spending gobs of money in relief. Much rather they just open the economy and let people work again. But if they're throwing it away anyway, at least give our money back to us. Not corporations and foreign governments. 

Trump's finally using his "lame duck" status for the good of average Americans.  Of course, Congress can just wait him out and deal with Biden....but good effort, Trump.  

Trump's finally using his "lame duck" status for the good of average Americans.  Of course, Congress can just wait him out and deal with Biden....but good effort, Trump.  
That's what sucks. Yes he can postpone this atrocity but the version that comes January 21st will be twice as bad for the American people and the R's have shown they are willing to go along with whatever since they voted yes on 5500 pages of pure garbage. 

I am enjoying the outrage at the ridiculous spending we engage in every single year.

In any other year gender programs in pakistan would get their money without anybody even noticing. 

But now everybody is comparing it to 600 bucks. Hopefully people will pay this much attn next year too. 

I am enjoying the outrage at the ridiculous spending we engage in every single year.

In any other year gender programs in pakistan would get their money without anybody even noticing. 

But now everybody is comparing it to 600 bucks. Hopefully people will pay this much attn next year too. 
In that way it is a blessing. This has happened for years but since the regular people see it affecting their money, they will speak up. Not sure it amounts to much in the long run but one can hope the anger and frustration everyone is feeling manifests into meaningful change. 

That's what sucks. Yes he can postpone this atrocity but the version that comes January 21st will be twice as bad for the American people and the R's have shown they are willing to go along with whatever since they voted yes on 5500 pages of pure garbage. 
Unless he's gotten wind that Biden is pushing for something even bigger when he gets in and he wants to undercut him for the legacy.

I don't think there's many on either side of the aisle approves of (at the least) all the international money going out.  

Unless he's gotten wind that Biden is pushing for something even bigger when he gets in and he wants to undercut him for the legacy.

I don't think there's many on either side of the aisle approves of (at the least) all the international money going out.  
They voted on it. Mainly because they had to decide in 4 hours and we're worried it looked bad if they went against a "Covid relief bill". Doesn't mean they won't do it again. 

Any word on evictions?  We desperately need to get some freeloaders out before the owner's lose their homes.

Never mind...CDC BS order extended until January 31.  
Don’t have a lot of sympathy for people buying houses they can’t afford and inflating the prices so regular people can’t afford to buy a home to live in. Real estate investing is a risk, deal with the consequences. 

It’s not good at all. Trump could have insisted on this months ago. He has taken no part in the negotiations. If he had, he would have known that it’s Republicans that opposed the larger amounts. It would be disastrous for this Bill to fail. 

100% of bill spending must be here.  Any support for foreign programs belong elsewhere.  Start over.  
This is simplistic. It’s a populist idea (and it’s why populism is so awful.) The public is NEVER for foreign aid. That’s why it needs to always be attached to more popular bills. Because foreign aid is absolutely necessary. 

• Sad
Reactions: JAA
Pelosi immediately agrees.

Her words while retweeting Trump

“Republicans repeatedly refused to say what amount the President wanted for direct checks. At last, the President has agreed to $2,000 — Democrats are ready to bring this to the Floor this week by unanimous consent. Let’s do it!“

Pelosi: Democrats will agree to $2000 immediately. 
Of course they will. It’s Republicans that won’t agree. Trump looks ridiculous here again. It was his own staff and Mnuchin that negotiated the amount down. 

Pelosi: Democrats will agree to $2000 immediately. 
Of course they will. It’s Republicans that won’t agree. Trump looks ridiculous here again. It was his own staff and Mnuchin that negotiated the amount down. 
Look, we know Trump is incompetent but if he can get this done then it’s easily one of the best things he’s done in four years.  Sure, he deserves ridicule for a million other things but let’s count small blessings.

Users who are viewing this thread