What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Juju stats error in Steelers/Bengals game (1 Viewer)

Miro Z

Footballguy
I lost a playoff game by one point after Juju's horror performance on MNF. The stats on MFL and other websites are:

3 receptions for 15 yards and a fumble

I was just watching the Steelers/Bengals game to see the full horror of Juju's performance.

I just saw a play with 10 minutes to go in the fourth quarter where Juju gets a 21 yard reception. This piqued by curiosity so I then went to the individual plays on NFL stats. Here are Juju's three receptions:

11:54 left in Q1: 4 yard reception

0:55 left in Q1: reception for no gain, fumble

10:14 left in Q4: 21 yard reception

This means that Juju should have 3 receptions for 25 yards and a fumble not 3 receptions for 15 yards and a fumble. This would give him 1 more fantasy point. In my case (and perhaps others) this is a very important fantasy point.

I have no idea why the stats currently give him only 15 yards, he had 25, you can see it on the game film? It might have been a typo or keyboard error.

I presume this will be changed by the stats update but if they miss it and it is material, you should inform your commish, it is indisputable that he had 25 yards receiving, we can all see it on the tape.

I watched the whole game. At halftime, he had 2 catches for -6 yards and a fumble (for a total of -.6 PPR). Add in the 21 yard 4th quarter catch, and that's the 3 catches for 15 yards and a fumble. 

All I can think is that they give him the yardage on the 2nd catch at the point where the fumble was recovered (-10 yards). 

Thanks, guys. The play by play records the fumble play as a reception for no gain and a fumble, so shouldn't the fantasy points be 0 yards and then however many points a fumble costs?

Okay, I see what you are getting at. I agree it's not intuitive so I looked it up. I think page 28 of the Guide for Statisticians (2. General Principles of Scoring Yardage on Fumble Plays, item C) has us covered here:

When a fumbled ball rolls free and is recovered beyond the point of the fumble (by either a teammate or an opponent), any yardage between the spot of the fumble and the spot of recovery is loose ball yardage. EXCEPTION: if the ball is fumbled behind the line of scrimmage, the runner gets credit for yardage to the point of recovery, or the line of scrimmage, whichever is closer to his goal line. The same exception applies to kickoff returns. The spot at which the return begins serves as the "line of scrimmage."

JuJu fumbles at the 48 and Cincy recovers at the 38 so JuJu gets credit "for yardage to the point of recovery" i.e. -10 yards.

Okay, I see what you are getting at. I agree it's not intuitive so I looked it up. I think page 28 of the Guide for Statisticians (2. General Principles of Scoring Yardage on Fumble Plays, item C) has us covered here:

When a fumbled ball rolls free and is recovered beyond the point of the fumble (by either a teammate or an opponent), any yardage between the spot of the fumble and the spot of recovery is loose ball yardage. EXCEPTION: if the ball is fumbled behind the line of scrimmage, the runner gets credit for yardage to the point of recovery, or the line of scrimmage, whichever is closer to his goal line. The same exception applies to kickoff returns. The spot at which the return begins serves as the "line of scrimmage."

JuJu fumbles at the 48 and Cincy recovers at the 38 so JuJu gets credit "for yardage to the point of recovery" i.e. -10 yards.
So playing devil's advocate, let's say a WR catches and fumbles the ball at the 1 yard line which is then recovered at the other 1 yard line. Would that count as a -98 yard reception as you suggest? If feels, intuitively, as though the defense should be credited for yardage gained on a fumble, rather than it be treated as negative receiving yards? 

So playing devil's advocate, let's say a WR catches and fumbles the ball at the 1 yard line which is then recovered at the other 1 yard line. Would that count as a -98 yard reception as you suggest? If feels, intuitively, as though the defense should be credited for yardage gained on a fumble, rather than it be treated as negative receiving yards? 
If the WR fumbles at the opponent's 1 and the fumble isn't TOUCHED until the opponent recovers it at the other 1, it would count as a -98 yard reception. The odds of the ball going 98 yards without being touched after the fumble though?... Maybe in a hurricane? (...But then why are you passing it at the 1-yard line??)

Your argument is not without merit but the play was scored according to the rulebook:

When a fumbled ball is touched, legally batted, or kicked by any player (including the player who fumbled), and the spot of this action is behind the spot of the fumble, charge the player who fumbles with yardage lost (in the category initiating the action) to the spot of the first such touch, bat, or kick; the rest of the yardage is loose-ball yardage. If the spot of the first such touch, bat, or kick is at or beyond the spot of the fumble, charge the player who fumbles with yardage to the spot of the fumble. The act of forcing a fumble is not considered a touch. If an opponent eventually gains possession, his fumble yardage shall be credited from the spot at which he gains possession.
Now, whether the rules make sense is a much larger question.

Users who are viewing this thread