What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump's Presidential pardons: a catalogue (1 Viewer)

Sea Duck

Footballguy
December 22: https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/22/politics/trump-pardons/index.html

George Papadopoulos (convicted of lying to Mueller investigation)
Alex van der Zwaan (convicted of lying to Mueller investigation)
Duncan Hunter (Republican Congressman convicted of misusing campaign funds)
Chris Collins (Republican Congressman convicted of insider trading)
Steve Stockman (Republican Congressman convicted of money laundering and fraud)
4 Blackwater contractors involved in a crowd shooting in Iraq

• Sad
Reactions: JAA
The precedent here is horrible.

How about no presidential pardons starting 30 days prior to Election Day through inauguration?

I’m gonna write him and ask for a pardon.  I haven’t done anything, but I figure he’ll sign anything and it would make a good conversation piece.

Dear Donald - I may have called one of your supporters a naughty name in a MAGA thread but if you grant me this pardon I would be forever grateful.

YIC,

AAABatteries

Trump has granted about 2% of requested pardons in his single term in office — just 27 before Tuesday’s announcement. By comparison, Barack Obama granted 212 or 6%, and George W. Bush granted about 7%, or 189. George H. W. Bush, another one-term president, granted 10% of requests.

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-campaigns-duncan-hunter-russia-87bf992ea9bece8eee58ac8ecf1f1bd6

He’s handing them out like candy on Halloween now though, isn’t he?

How are “requested pardons” tracked?  If I send an email to the White House, is that a requested pardon?  Does it only count if I include a check?

Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good rant right? 😁
 This isn’t about the volume of pardons. Pardons can be a good thing. Such as when Obama commuted the sentences of a bunch of first time non-violent offenders.  There’s an entire office in DOJ devoted to evaluating the applications. 

Trump has granted few pardons or commutations. Of the ones he has granted, a massive percentage, over 80%, have gone to recipients with direct ties to Trump.  That’s what’s unsavory (Ok granting them to war criminals is also unsavory). 

Trump has granted about 2% of requested pardons in his single term in office — just 27 before Tuesday’s announcement. By comparison, Barack Obama granted 212 or 6%, and George W. Bush granted about 7%, or 189. George H. W. Bush, another one-term president, granted 10% of requests.

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-campaigns-duncan-hunter-russia-87bf992ea9bece8eee58ac8ecf1f1bd6

I don’t care how many pardons are given. He can give 10,000 as far as I care. The question is: are they just, or are they corrupt? These seem corrupt. 

This isn’t about the volume of pardons. Pardons can be a good thing. Such as when Obama commuted the sentences of a bunch of first time non-violent offenders.  There’s an entire office in DOJ devoted to evaluating the applications. 

Trump has granted few pardons or commutations. Of the ones he has granted, a massive percentage, over 80%, have gone to recipients with direct ties to Trump.  That’s what’s unsavory (Ok granting them to war criminals is also unsavory). 
People who were convicted for lying to the FBI in investigations about his administration 

I feel we’re still very much in the amuse bouche phase of outrageous pardons on Trump’s way out the door.  Juicier dishes still to come. 
I'm curious who he would have to pardon to get a slightly elevated negative response from his supporters....

Grizzly Maxwell?  Jerry Sandusky?  Because he just let war criminals walk and it's "ha ha, more liberal tears".  

I feel we’re still very much in the amuse bouche phase of outrageous pardons on Trump’s way out the door.  Juicier dishes still to come. 
You know the last ones will be family and self.

It will be interesting to see how specific those pardons will be worded - and whether the acceptance of those pardons could be used in state crimes arising from teh same conduct.

I'm curious who he would have to pardon to get a slightly elevated negative response from his supporters....

Grizzly Maxwell?  Jerry Sandusky?  Because he just let war criminals walk and it's "ha ha, more liberal tears".  
Judging by the reaction to the Elle article this week, Martin Shkreli. He seems pretty universally disliked on a bipartisan basis. 

Judging by the reaction to the Elle article this week, Martin Shkreli. He seems pretty universally disliked on a bipartisan basis. 
But not so disliked that a female reporter tossed her marriage and her career away for him (well, until he ghosted her, which I didnt think was possible to do from behind bars). 

Feel like Pharma Bro would have made the perfect head of the DEA in Trump's cabinet. 

What precedent? Honest question as I'm not that familiar with the history of pardons
The amount of pardons with people who are directly tied to the POTUS.  Worse is the people who lied on behalf of the president during a special investigation.

The precedent I see here is that why would anyone be afraid of jail time for perjury if they know they will just be pardoned?

What precedent? Honest question as I'm not that familiar with the history of pardons.
Duncan Hunter might be the first person in history to get indicted/elected/convicted/pardoned all during a single presidential term.
:lol:  OK thank you. This is an outrageous precedent that should never be repeated with any future pardons.  I can get behind this.

• Love
Reactions: JAA
Philip Esformes, stole over 1 billion from Medicaid and Medicare using his nursing home empire, but per the White House "while in prison, Mr. Esformes, who is 52, has been devoted to prayer and repentance and is in declining health."  You may remember that  Eformes  was ahead of the curve and  in 2014 "helped" his son Morris Esformes, who was 5'8" and not overly athletic by bribing the then U Penn Basketball coach Jerome Allen $250,000 to "train, recruit and help ensure the player was admitted to the Ivy League school."  

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-press-secretary-regarding-executive-grants-clemency-122220/

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/penn-coach-jerome-allen-15-year-penalty/story?id=69236680

BTW, Esformes was a donor to Democrats but not Republicans, so his pardon is an outlier. But money talks and pushing for a pardon were Ken Starr, Alberto Gonzales and John Ashcroft.  

>> “In a perfect world, a commutation would be the result of a thoughtful, apolitical process intended to offset a grave injustice,” said former federal prosecutor Ben Curtis, who has tried dozens of Medicare fraud cases in Miami and across the country. “Did that happen here? Seeing this decision today and knowing the history of healthcare fraud in South Florida, it’s tough not to become cynical about the justice system.”<< 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article248044835.html

Still waiting for comments from  Rick Scott, who at one point "oversaw the largest Medicare fraud in the nation’s history."

Last edited by a moderator:

I think it’s when he resigns on January 19 and Pence issues pardons for him and his family

I think it’s when he resigns on January 19 and Pence issues pardons for him and his family
Oh, I'm sure that's being discussed but that won't upset his fans; it'll only make them revere him more as it will cause mass outrage and garner massive headlines that overshadow the inauguration.    His entire presidency was about two things: trolling the libs and personal financial gain.  That's it.  And you gotta hand it to him....he mastered both. 

Users who are viewing this thread