What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What are you eating for Christmas? (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Christmas Eve or Christmas Night, what are you planning on cooking or making?

We had gotten into a tradition of a movie and then either Chinese or Thai Food for dinner on Christmas Day. But this year we won't be able to attend the same movie houses we tend to frequent, and it's not really that safe to be eating indoors this year even if the restaurant is seating people. 

Curious what folks are planning to do? I personally despise cooking a huge meal in the kitchen on a holiday, even Thanksgiving which is ALL FOOD is a pain if things go beyond Turkey and a couple side dishes. I almost just want to make a pizza or something to eat on throughout the day/evening. 

One time I made a German Brisket, wrote about it in here. I couldn't see my self doing all that this year plus i don't eat much red meat. 

Christmas Eve - Prime Rib, Mashed Potatoes, Cream Corn, Yorkshire Pudding   TBD if adding anything else, but this year it is just me, my wife and the 3 boys - should be plenty of leftovers for sandwiches the next few days as I got a 15 pounder

Christmas Day - My wife's family will come over (her siblings and their kids, staying spread out in the backyard) - rather than traditional Christmas type food, and trying to limit "hands on" type of stuff, we are making a giant pot of meatballs and Italian sausages and doing sandwiches - don't know yet what sides etc.

Christmas Night - Leftovers and if I have my way a semi-copious amount of bourbon

I'll be cooking the Christmas Eve dinner, I think other than the sausages, which I'll cook up,  my wife is cooking the main dishes for Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Christmas eve, MIL's house. Normally a big party with lots of food, but just scaled down to immediate family this year. Having a hero and some simple pasta, highlight is my wife's aunt makes this amzing handmade pizza that she only makes for this night, so I go to town on that.

Christmas day I host and its just my immediate family (normally). Catered out as usual. Rigatoni a la Vodka, Ziti Chick parm and antipasta. 

same thing without the creamed corn  :thumbup:
My wife and kids would consider a lack of cream corn in this meal as just cause for disowning me. We will make an ungodly amount for 5 people and there will likely be only a limited amount of leftovers for them to fight over.

I'll likely add in another vegetable, just not sure what - I may do some brussell sprouts, but I usually prefer those when I do a heartier version of mashed potatoes with a thicker gravy (with prime rib, I prefer to make more of a whipped potatoes, as I find the texture goes better with prime rib/aujus). Maybe I'll do some roasted broccoli

Christmas Eve with our kids and my father - 

Appetizers: Calamari, Sushi, Lobster Crostini, Meat and Cheese Tray, Shrimp Cocktail

Main Course:  Lobster Tails, Crab Legs, Steak, Scallops, Shrimp Scampi, Baked Potato, veggie of some sort, Biscuits

Somehow the kids decided I should make this ridiculous meal because "It's 2020 and it sucked".

Christmas Eve:  Just our family - Appetizers as we open presents to each other.

Christmas Day:  Immediate family (that is still here) Homemade Spaghetti (my wife's family is Italian and we gave up the traditional Christmas day meal about 15 years ago - my idea)

Just me Mrs. O (plus the dog) this year again so we keep it basic. Christmas Eve is usually Thai or Chinese food (always takeout). Christmas Day this year is a tea service including sweet and savory scones, a few different sandwich types, and a brown sugar chocolate pound cake with a maple expresso glaze.  We do a full brunch for New Year’s Day. That’s a good one.

We are throwing in the towel on meals this Christmas since we are not doing a big get together (except for Christmas brunch).

Christmas Eve (me, the wife and two sons) - Baked chicken wings from Butcher Box.  First time making them, will have a couple of different sauces.  Hopefully it is a treat for a non traditional Christmas Eve.

Christmas Day - Basketball program sold Butter Braids so we bought a bunch, will cook up a few for breakfast as we open presents.  My step daughter and her boyfriend are coming over for brunch, so that will be our big meal.  French toast bake, some kind of egg soufle, bacon, fruit, that kind of stuff.  Some Sams club premade pasta dish for supper.

Going non traditonal too.   This year just Catering QDoba for Christmas Eve.    Smallest cater is 10 people and this year we only have 7 due to COVID.

Meats are Chicken and Brisket, Pinto beans, Cilantro rice.   Comes with Guac, Chips, 3 different salsas, tortillas, queso, fajita veggies were 10 bucks extra.

130.00 total and they supply sterno.     We usually drop 2-300 on Christmas Eve with Prime Rib, then I have to cook all day  and the kitchen is trashed after. So looking forward to this.

Appetizers: Calamari, Sushi, Lobster Crostini, Meat and Cheese Tray, Shrimp Cocktail

Main Course:  Lobster Tails, Crab Legs, Steak, Scallops, Shrimp Scampi, Baked Potato, veggie of some sort, Biscuits

Somehow the kids decided I should make this ridiculous meal because "It's 2020 and it sucked".
Just a great meal.  Kudos big time!  They will never forget it just like I haven't forgot about all the Christmas eve meals my late father made.

Good for you & Merry Christmas to all.

Eve - baked ziti, salad, Italian bread, peel n eat shrimp with old bay, steamed clams , broiled lobster tails, adult beverages

Day- ham, mashed, scalloped corn, green bean casserole, cole slaw, cherry peppers stuffed with prosciutto n provolone, pickled eggs, rolls

Eta: cannolis

Getting Chinese food after work tomorrow night  curbside from moms and I’s favorite Chinese restaurant. We’ll be eating leftover Chinese on Christmas Day.  We’ll both go on a Christmas walk in the morning and we’ll both chill and enjoy a day of needed relaxation afterwards.  I’ll do my best to catch some of the NBA games and will inevitably force myself to not be a complete slob and use my elliptical. Sounds like a boring day but I cannot tell you how much we are looking forward to it. Merry Christmas and happy holidays everybody. 

Xmas Eve- we used to do a huge seafood dinner (Italian here) but this year only my BIL and his fiancee (the one who gave my wife covid on Thanksgiving) are coming over. Making Penne and vodka sauce, shrimp oreganata, and shrimp scampi.

Xmas- going to my brother's like we usually do. Gonna do Spiral ham like usual. 

Awesome meal.

just myself and my wife. Will be making gumbo tomorrow and eat it Christmas Day. Always like it better the next day.

Christmas Eve:  Smoked Turkey, Beef Tenderloin, Mashed Potatoes, Creamed Corn and Mac & Cheese

Christmas Day:  Big breakfast as SIL; Dinner at our place - Prime Rib, Potato Dish, Green Beans

Forgot to add - Christmas morning - Monkey Bread and those Funeral Potatoes, though I forget what my wife calls them, I just remember getting a good laugh talking about them on here then no more than 15 minutes later my wife gave me the grocery list to get the needed ingredients.

Christmas Eve we are going to my wife’s cousins.  No idea what they are having but it’s typically a bunch of appetizer style stuff.  Last year they did a prime rib too

were being a charcuterie board to that 

Christmas Day I always make a sausage quiche and candied bacon for breakfast 

dinner we are having ham, cheesy potatoes and kielbasa and sauerkraut and then some various other sides my mom and MIL will bring

Summer Wheat said:
Going non traditonal too.   This year just Catering QDoba for Christmas Eve.    Smallest cater is 10 people and this year we only have 7 due to COVID.

Meats are Chicken and Brisket, Pinto beans, Cilantro rice.   Comes with Guac, Chips, 3 different salsas, tortillas, queso, fajita veggies were 10 bucks extra.

130.00 total and they supply sterno.     We usually drop 2-300 on Christmas Eve with Prime Rib, then I have to cook all day  and the kitchen is trashed after. So looking forward to this.
Work for a small company with 18 people.  We do this a couple times of year.  We do it for 20 people and it’s fantastic and more than enough food.

Bull Dozier said:
We are throwing in the towel on meals this Christmas since we are not doing a big get together (except for Christmas brunch).

Christmas Eve (me, the wife and two sons) - Baked chicken wings from Butcher Box.  First time making them, will have a couple of different sauces.  Hopefully it is a treat for a non traditional Christmas Eve.

Christmas Day - Basketball program sold Butter Braids so we bought a bunch, will cook up a few for breakfast as we open presents.  My step daughter and her boyfriend are coming over for brunch, so that will be our big meal.  French toast bake, some kind of egg soufle, bacon, fruit, that kind of stuff.  Some Sams club premade pasta dish for supper.
Totally get it, I only used the crying emoticon as more of a "Taps" theme, I think a lot of people can identify with what you are going thru Bull. I'm sure the Christmas Spirit will be strong regardless and it still sounds like a lot more than many folks are going to have this Christmas. Great post 👍

The local Western Beef puts Prime Rib Roast On sale every Christmas week.  Two years ago they had it for $6.99 a lb and there was a line down the street for it.  This year it was $8.99 a lb and still a popular item.  I have a nice 4 rib roast waiting for Friday.

thursday night it’s Italian in the quirky form of lobster ravioli and chicken parm.

The local Western Beef puts Prime Rib Roast On sale every Christmas week.  Two years ago they had it for $6.99 a lb and there was a line down the street for it.  This year it was $8.99 a lb and still a popular item.  I have a nice 4 rib roast waiting for Friday.

thursday night it’s Italian in the quirky form of lobster ravioli and chicken parm.
This just reminded me I have some thin sliced chicken breast I picked up on sale the other day - gonna have to find a meal to squeeze in chicken parm, although the boys lately have really been into spicy chicken sandwiches (not just from Chik Fil A, but also Nashville Hots type of stuff), so maybe I'll get more bang going for a spicy chicken sandwich type meal with them.

Gave up on “Traditional “ about 5 years ago. New menu is NY Strips, corn, broccoli, onion rings, baked potatoes. Temps are normally in the 70s, but looks like this year I’ll be grilling in mid-50 degree weather, uggh.

Gave up on “Traditional “ about 5 years ago. New menu is NY Strips, corn, broccoli, onion rings, baked potatoes. Temps are normally in the 70s, but looks like this year I’ll be grilling in mid-50 degree weather, uggh.
Nothing wrong with that meal - and grilling in the 50's is fine, just have the proper libation to keep you warm from the inside.

I just had to laugh at the bolded. 

I remember a Christmas about 10 years ago. My brothers and all their family's were in town for the holidays, and for New Year's Eve I was grilling steaks with a foot of snow on the ground and the temp was about 7 degrees.

4 years ago I smoked pork belly burnt ends and it was about 5 degrees. Had to put my smoker inside my pop-up tent with tarps around all four sides so the smoker would stay warm enough to cook. That was fun.  :lol:

:banned:

Totally get it, I only used the crying emoticon as more of a "Taps" theme, I think a lot of people can identify with what you are going thru Bull. I'm sure the Christmas Spirit will be strong regardless and it still sounds like a lot more than many folks are going to have this Christmas. Great post 👍
It's weird, because we usually don't do much of a meal for Christmas anyway.  We typically go to my parents house Christmas day, and she will either have a big meal, or lately, a day long plethora of appetizers to graze on all day.

I wasn't in the mood to start a new tradition that would be continued next year.  It's Christmas Eve and still doesn't feel like Christmas to me.  :shrug:  

I just had to laugh at the bolded. 

I remember a Christmas about 10 years ago. My brothers and all their family's were in town for the holidays, and for New Year's Eve I was grilling steaks with a foot of snow on the ground and the temp was about 7 degrees.

4 years ago I smoked pork belly burnt ends and it was about 5 degrees. Had to put my smoker inside my pop-up tent with tarps around all four sides so the smoker would stay warm enough to cook. That was fun.  :lol:

:banned:
Yeah, I chuckled when I saw that too 

😃

I ordered a 4-5 lb prime rib and they deliverd an 8.4 lb (!).  Continuing my novice streak, I've never done one of these as I'm always at family where they cook.  Should I cut this in half or go for the whole giant roast? Recipes and tips welcome.  

Also doing au jus and horseradish sauce,  scalloped potatoes and Brussel sprouts.  

Thinking about doing a traditional Eyetalian seafood salad (Im not eyetalian though). Not sure anyone in my house will eat octopus though. Especially after watching My Octopus Teacher the other night.  :lmao:

No idea...a two day quick trip to the in laws turned into 5 days because of some medical complications with them.  Been helping take them to appointments and care for them.  We will eat whatever I can piece together from the freezer if we don't make it back before then grocery store closes this evening.

Eve: clam chowder, sourdough and a salad with peppermint ice cream for dessert. I’ve had clam chowder every Christmas Eve for 50 years. It’s a tradition my grandma’s family started probably 100 years ago so I’m not breaking it. 

Day: breakfast is always raised yeast waffles with all the typical breakfast sides. Bloody Marys and/or mimosas. 

Dinner this year is chicken cordon bleu, mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts and pecan pie. 

And a fair amount of wine, whiskey and gin mixed in among all of this. 

Merry Christmas!

I ordered a 4-5 lb prime rib and they deliverd an 8.4 lb (!).  Continuing my novice streak, I've never done one of these as I'm always at family where they cook.  Should I cut this in half or go for the whole giant roast? Recipes and tips welcome.  

Also doing au jus and horseradish sauce,  scalloped potatoes and Brussel sprouts.  
Do the whole thing - Here's the Prime Rib Thread

All Recipes Link with better detail than my summary

For that size, the 500 degree method being discussed on the last page (currently as of this writing) would work well.

1. Season the roast generously well in advance

2. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

3. Cook the roast at 500 for 5 minutes per pound, so 40-42 minutes in your case.

4. Turn off oven but do not open the oven door.

5. Let it go for either 2 hours (what the recipe calls for) or until the internal temp hits desired doneness - I usually pull between 125 and 130 which is towards the rare side of medium-rare

6. Once it hits desired temp, pull from oven

7. Slice and enjoy

I'm roasting a leg of lamb that I paid too much for at the local chi chi urban butchers.  It's 4 1/2 pounds bone in which means the three of us will have lots of leftovers.

Serving it with duck fat potatoes, roasted turnips and kale.  I have the fixins for a farro salad but there's already going to be too much food for one meal.

Users who are viewing this thread