What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How does your league manage free agents in the playoffs? (1 Viewer)

Max55

Footballguy
Interested in what your league does. Real situation below in a super flex, redraft, PPR league.

Team A - has Mahomes, Carr and Alex Smith. 

Team B - has Josh Allen and Jarrod Goff. Decided to use remaining FA $s to grab Mariota and the SF QB Beathard. 

Team A owner and commish complained even though no rules broken by Team B and promises to change rules next year.

I don’t think Team B did anything wrong but at least in my head feel I must downgrade the league from “competitive” to “participatory” which removes some of the fun at least for me.

Your thoughts if any?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Yes both teams are actively and playing head to head this week. 

Team A couldn’t grab Mariota bc he was outbid but could have grabbed Beathard. 

Interested in what your league does. Real situation below in a super flex, redraft, PPR league.

Team B - has Josh Allen and Jarrod Goff. Decided to use remaining FA $s to grab Mariota and the SF QB Beathard. 

Team A owner and commish complained even though no rules broken by Team B and promises to change rules next year.

I don’t think Team B did anything wrong but at least in my head feel I must downgrade the league from “competitive” to “participatory” which removes some of the fun at least for me.

Your thoughts if any?
Change the rules to what? You aren’t allowed to pick up more than 1 FA in a week?

Team B did nothing wrong here.

A lot of people that are confused don't realize that some older leagues lock Weeks 14-16 for roster changes. But it's a vestige of preference and age, not the competitiveness of the league. FAAB were meant for situations like the one you're describing.  

We used to lock rosters once playoffs started.

We then changed to 1 a week in the playoffs.

Then to no limit.  Only for teams still active.

Where we ran into issues was trying to not let teams in the losers brackets make moves

We eventually just raised the price for free agents in the playoffs. $5 a pop if you want to make a move, vs. $3 in the regular season. People should be able to make any moves they want.  Let's face it, a lot of these moves end badly anyways.  Any move made at this point is sort of a gamble in a way, managers should be free to make whatever moves they want.  

my 25 yr league has always charged real $ for blind bids & $3 per FAs.  We used to lock rosters during playoffs & Then we changed it to $6 FA during the playoffs with a limit of 3.  Then we changed it to $6 per FA during playoffs with no limit.  
Charging real $ does help cut down on the “shenanigans” transactions 

Now, with that said, I also play in some other leagues that don’t charge for transactions and so I don’t see anything wrong with what Team B did.

What you should do is ask Team A and the commissioner if they play Pool or chess or Backgammon.......do they look at their opponent’s setup when making a move or taking a shot???  Do they try to block or play defense vs their opponent to reduce their options??

Your league scenario poses no issues. 
What WOULD BE an issue for me is if Team B picks up players and then drops them aka “cycling “. (Depends on when they go thru waivers again)

I should have been more clear in my initial post but I don’t think it changes the great responses so thank you for that.

The reason the commish and Team A feel slighted is because they see it as a poor sportsmanship. There’s a chance Team A will only have Mahomes to start in a super flex league with Carr and Smith questionable to play.

In other words Team B should have let Team A have Mariota.  

I see no problem with what Team B did but wanted other opinions. 

I should have been more clear in my initial post but I don’t thing it changes the great responses so thank you for that.

The reason the commish and Team A feel slighted is because they see it as a poor sportsmanship. There’s a chance Team A will only have Mahomes to start in a super flex league with Carr and Smith questionable to play.

As with many things, this might be a moot point. Carr was taken off the injury list today. 

We had an increased number of IR spots this year due to COVID, with the understanding that, once you were eliminated, your IR spots had to be emptied. (Players could be moved to active roster, but your roster needed to be legal. As a result, after each round, players were dropped. Le'Veon Bell, for instance, was cut a few days prior to CEH being injured. 

Last week, a team eliminated from the playoffs grabbed Gus Edwards during the WW period. And this WW period, the worst team (#1 overall in WW) grabbed Bell. Having CEH, CMC, Allen, etc., it was a bit frustrating, but I assumed that most dynasty leagues allowed all teams to make moves to the very end.

Is this NOT the case? Just curious to know what other leagues do.

Team B did nothing wrong. I would do the same thing almost every single time.

Also, in dynasty leagues teams no longer in the playoffs should still be able to pick up free agents.

Hell, in my league, an owner had no backup QB at the beginning of Josh Allen's bye week. I proceeded to pickup the free agent QB who I thought had the best matchup that week. I had the team pegged as the 2nd or 3rd best team in the league but their actual number of wins was significantly less then their expected number of wins i.e. they had a good all play record. I was not playing him that week either. FWI although the team lost that week they still managed to sneak into the playoffs at 6-7 and is now in the title game.

I should have been more clear in my initial post but I don’t think it changes the great responses so thank you for that.

Well that's even lamer :)

Your thoughts if any?
He HAS these players? As in... Owns them?! Is this phrasing acceptable or not? What did we decide in the other thread?

This is pretty ridiculous.  Team B did nothing wrong, and if he picked up all the qb's in the league to play keep away from team A, then that's team A's fault for not being prepared for playoffs.

Carr will play so it won't matter, but really hoping Team A loses, because that is a horrible complaint.

One other thing nobody is mentioning.....,this is a SUPERFLEX league.  So it’s not like Team A DOESN’T have other options to start one of their RBs, WRs.....   yep, Team A is #%%%#

We used to lock rosters once playoffs started.

We then changed to 1 a week in the playoffs.

Then to no limit.  Only for teams still active.

Where we ran into issues was trying to not let teams in the losers brackets make moves
We allow the teams in the loser brackets to make moves but ask them to allow the teams in the playoffs to have waivers to themselves- in other words the other teams get to pick through what is left after waivers run.

One other thing nobody is mentioning.....,this is a SUPERFLEX league.  So it’s not like Team A DOESN’T have other options to start one of their RBs, WRs.....   yep, Team A is #%%%#
Oh ya, didn't even think of this.  He doesn't even need to start another qb.

I mean...it's exactly the type of move I would expect in any competitive league if I were team A. You play to win the game.

I mean...it's exactly the type of move I would expect in any competitive league if I were team A. You play to win the game.
I could not agree more. 

I had considered that league competitive but I no longer can. As a joke I actually offered to buy participation trophies for any owner that was interested. 

I could not agree more. 

I had considered that league competitive but I no longer can. As a joke I actually offered to buy participation trophies for any owner that was interested. 
Time to take some screenshots of this thread and publicly shame the commish by posting it in your league group chat :P

The league rules say what is fair and unfair. I think you should use every legal option to compete as effectively as you can. I would be amazed if an opponent didn't compete at that level. Change the rule after the year if it allows people more ability to screw with each other's chances than the majority likes.

I'm in 5 leagues, no other ownership overlap. 2 are re-draft and 3 dynasty. They all have prizes still to be won while the playoffs wind down and/or simultaneous losers brackets. None of them have any limit on who can pick up players under the same waiver system we use all year through year's end. When the issue has arisen, all have felt there is no particular reason to give playoff teams special treatment on adding players. Prepare accordingly. 

Users who are viewing this thread