What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Explosion in Downtown Nashville (1 Viewer)

First responding officer thought it was suspicious from the get go. Wonder if he was a K-9 unit with a bomb sniffer on board. My Buddy is a Detroit K-9 cop with a bomb sniffer and they can hit something from 300 feet away.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it sounds like a car bomb in a downtown area early Christmas morning in an area where no one would be (and thankfully it sounds like that's right -- no injuries).

Seems like more of a grievance kind of thing to me than typical terrorism.  Someone with a grudge against one of the businesses nearby maybe?

Horrible. That's a pretty touristy area with little significance. I wonder if the RV was parked or en route to a "target"? I used to live near there and just can't imagine. 2nd leads to the court house. SMH Glad to hear no loss of life.

Police apparently responded to a shots fired call...the RV was spotted and seemed suspicious and they cleared some of the area and called in bomb squad.

Explosion happened between that call and any bomb squad actually getting there.

A lot of nest/ring videos out there where you can hear the power of the explosion from some distance.   As I said, heard a rumble out here and Im a good 10-11 miles from downtown.

Police apparently responded to a shots fired call...the RV was spotted and seemed suspicious and they cleared some of the area and called in bomb squad.

Explosion happened between that call and any bomb squad actually getting there.

A lot of nest/ring videos out there where you can hear the power of the explosion from some distance.   As I said, heard a rumble out here and Im a good 10-11 miles from downtown.
Also seeing from local news in the area that witnesses have claimed that someone fired shots in the air about 4:30am and a loud recording began playing from the vehicle, telling people to evacuate and essentially acting as a countdown timer. Have a sad feeling this one is going to end up in the Politics forum before long.

Also seeing from local news in the area that witnesses have claimed that someone fired shots in the air about 4:30am and a loud recording began playing from the vehicle, telling people to evacuate and essentially acting as a countdown timer. Have a sad feeling this one is going to end up in the Politics forum before long.
Hoping it wasn’t some sign of things to come. (Especially if the ATT communications building was at the epicenter of the blast for a reason)

Pretty big blast from the damage and size of things they have shown.

Hoping it wasn’t some sign of things to come. (Especially if the ATT communications building was at the epicenter of the blast for a reason)

Pretty big blast from the damage and size of things they have shown.
Hypothetically, what would be the rationale for targeting this?  It doesn't sound terrorism/ideology related.

Hypothetically, what would be the rationale for targeting this?  It doesn't sound terrorism/ideology related.
Yeah. That was speculation...and the building (according to ATT) is a phone and mobile building that was designed to withstand a bomb blast as it was an infrastructure building .

I guess rationale (again speculation) would be to disrupt communications if it was some sort of hub for something.   I don’t believe based on other things at this point that that was any motivation now.

So police figured out the trap and tried to warn others to get out maybe?
This local article has quotes claiming the audio recording was not the police, and that it was coming from the RV.

Just before the blast, witnesses in the area report a dire warning coming from the RV: “Evacuate now. There is a bomb. A bomb is in this vehicle and will explode." 

Then, the voice started a 15-minute countdown.

Williams, who lives in a loft apartment on the third floor, said she heard the sound of loud, rapid-fire gunshots at about 4:30 a.m.

After multiple rounds of gunshot sounds, Williams said she called 911.

Then, she said, she heard a repeated warning she said came from the RV parked outside her building.

She recalled hearing the announcement warning of a bomb and to evacuate. Then, it started counting down to the explosion, she said.  

Aaron confirmed investigators believe the recording heard by witnesses originated from the vehicle. 

Feels eerily similar to IRA tactics during The Troubles to me. The IRA would leave vehicle bombs and then call in a warning to evacuate.

Crazy thing is I have no internet or phone service. We are all ATT everything and it’s supposedly got something to do with this explosion. Had to drive to a local parking lot to find some internet.

Crazy thing is I have no internet or phone service. We are all ATT everything and it’s supposedly got something to do with this explosion. Had to drive to a local parking lot to find some internet.
Yeah, an AT&T infrastructure building was right next to the explosion. the Nashville subreddit is full of people asking if everyone's AT&T is down.

Man on TV right now who lived right there said there were 2 series of 7-8 gunshots 10 minutes before the explosion.   That seems bizarre.

Pretty crazy. My work building is on 2nd about two blocks away from where the bomb went off. We've been remote since March, and found out last week that we'll be remote through all of 2021, too. They sent out an email stating that our building received no damage, and everything there is fine. 

Used to walk through that area all the time for different lunch options, and Rodizio was one of my favorite lunch spots. 

At first I thought it was one of those holiday insurance jobs that some business owners do to get money without endangering any employees.

These people were also not interested in killing anyone, but making some kind of statement on a slow news day.  

At first I thought it was one of those holiday insurance jobs that some business owners do to get money without endangering any employees.

These people were also not interested in killing anyone, but making some kind of statement on a slow news day.  
Ask Richard Reid how that worked out.

I've watched a lot of this on Nashville TV today.  The RV was sitting there for 5 hours before it exploded.  

The conspiracy nuts will be in heaven.

Unless you think a lone wolf pulled this off, it is a conspiracy. 

Suspicious RV in downtown Cincinnati deemed no threat.

The Cincinnati Police Department blocked off several streets downtown Friday after a suspicious RV with its engine running was reported to authorities.

Police officers responded to the scene near the Federal Building on 6th Street early Friday evening to investigate after the RV was reported to them by security.

Police said there were no indications that there was anything of "a suspicious nature," but said they were investigating out of an abundance of caution based on the explosion that rocked downtown Nashville early Christmas morning.

The Cincinnati Police Department used explosive detection K-9s to clear the scene downtown.

Like others. Cell and internet all ATT.  Using wife’s work phone as a hot spot (not att).

Scary if this was a test or whatever to mess up communication and infrastructure as it showed just how fragile we are.

Users who are viewing this thread