What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Explosion in Downtown Nashville (1 Viewer)

Odds are this is either a lone actor or small group. But timing with hack and potential it’s a test is disconcerting given what might have been compromised. Case in point, flights at Nashville’s airport were cancelled because of the communications disruption. Sort of remarkable given the *relatively* small blast how pinpoint accurate it was.
It also knocked out almost  half the public school internet sites in KY.

These buildings are re-enforced to be able to withstand bombings as communications hubs are huge targets. Whoever did this must have had some serious explosives. The front 1/3 of the building is severely compromised.

Interesting if you consider the timing to be not at all symbolic, but instead one of the most vulnerable times you could strike a target. At best, you’re going to have your A and B staff at home on Christmas Eve.

So let’s imagine this wasn’t a test, but the main event. Maybe they hit what they wanted exactly how they wanted. I think we at least have to consider: Maybe they got into the vault at Nakatomi Plaza. And maybe they have the bearer bonds.
Shoot ...the glass.

These buildings are re-enforced to be able to withstand bombings as communications hubs are huge targets. Whoever did this must have had some serious explosives. The front 1/3 of the building is severely compromised.
Don't necessarily have to hit the building, just the links underground that are going into it. 

Don't necessarily have to hit the building, just the links underground that are going into it. 
This particular building has a basement with chillers and a sub basement with two 25,000 gallon fuel tanks, both sub street level floors are re-enforced the same as the above ground floors and the blast was above ground.

Also, the majority of fiber comes in thru the back of the office (3rd Avenue) as part of the 1st level on 2nd street is a retail store. The Ozari lot on 3rd street is where they are staging the generators and chiller to try and restore some partial service.

AT&T Disaster recovery is currently wiring up two 850 KW generators and the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) is loaning two 1 megawatt generators to restore service.

3rd avenue & Church street parking lot being dedicated for CO techs, electricians, HVAC, electrical, structural and mechanical engineers

SatCOLT's (basically mobile satellite antenna trucks) were deployed earlier today so that First responders, FBI, ATF etc. can communicate as there were almost 700 cell towers affected.

They've bored a hole thru the back wall which will allow them to hopefully connect the generators in the Ozari lot to the bus bars on the 2nd & 3rd floors. Structural Engineers need to verify if the building and floors are safe. Electrical Engineers need to verify power connectivity is safe and equipment is dry, if so, they will slowly start bringing equipment online.

Of note, some service has been previously restored due to the mobilization of disaster recovery trucks.

Probably another 6-7 hours before they start turning equipment back on. Keep in mind these aren't you average Linksys routers, these are carrier grade nodes that handle several hundreds of thousand connections each like a Cisco CRS Daisy chained setup or a bunch of Juniper MX2020's.

Not good, fire re-ignited in the Central Office, teams evacuated and Nashville FD addressing

ETA: Literally within the last 5 minutes

Last edited by a moderator:
No one other than Nashville FD expected back inside before 8am CST

https://transcripts.thedealr.net/script.php/batwoman-2019-aYRQ/s1/e17

Batwoman S1E17: 

"MAN, ON P.A.: On the order of Mayor Akins, all civilians are ordered to evacuate immediately.

Do not hesitate. Do not pack your belongings.

Humans and pets only. 

If you can hear this message, evacuate now.

On the order of Mayor Akins, all civilians are ordered to evacuate."

That same phrase "If you can hear this message, evacuate now" was the one played on a loop from the RV bombing. 

Most likely no updates til tomorrow as the building was evacuated due ti fire and smoke. Also, not being a morning person I won't be online when folks are allowed reentry to the building

https://transcripts.thedealr.net/script.php/batwoman-2019-aYRQ/s1/e17

Batwoman S1E17: 

"MAN, ON P.A.: On the order of Mayor Akins, all civilians are ordered to evacuate immediately.

Do not hesitate. Do not pack your belongings.

Humans and pets only. 

If you can hear this message, evacuate now.

On the order of Mayor Akins, all civilians are ordered to evacuate."

That same phrase "If you can hear this message, evacuate now" was the one played on a loop from the RV bombing. 
Yep. It's a very weird scenario but whoever did this did not want loss of life. Explosives went off at roughly 6:30 am, on Christmas morning. Not likely to be anyone out and about and if there was the rogue dog walker there was the audible warning to evacuate for at least 15 minutes prior to detonation.

This particular building has a basement with chillers and a sub basement with two 25,000 gallon fuel tanks, both sub street level floors are re-enforced the same as the above ground floors and the blast was above ground.
Interesting. I assumed a ton of the fiber would be underneath where the RV blew up. 

Interesting. I assumed a ton of the fiber would be underneath where the RV blew up. 
The fibers do come in underground but it's almost all via 3rd avenue into the back of the office.

I know my company had to switch to our backup Datacenter in Sterling as well as the IVR systems. Was a fun incident bridge this afternoon. 

And to be honest there is fiber damage but that's not contributing to the major outages. The entire office lost commercial power and then battery power, so they went completely dark. Emergency generators were available in the nearby area but the FBI and ATF had the area on lock down while they were investigating and collecting evidence. As well as having no power, commercial, battery, generator or otherwise there is the issue of flooding on every floor. Water and electronics do not mix, so even when power is restored we do not know what equipment was "fried". Like I said earlier, these aren't some little $50 routers, they are millions of dollars each when fully loaded. An MX2020 is close to 1500 pounds when loaded up. Now back to the initial trouble, even while "potential relief" was onsite they didn't have access to the site. Once granted access to the area they had to make  provisions on where to stage the generators, these aren't your garden variety home editions. Also need space for a massive chiller as without it the room temperature could exceed 150 Fahrenheit and meltdown everything. Next thing was to bore thru a 2-3 foot concrete wall

Cell Towers impacted

------------------------------------

369 Winchester, Ky Metro

345 in the Nashville Metro

100 in the Chattanooga, Tn Metro

112 in the Evansville, Ky Metro

264 in the Huntsville, Al Metro

23 in the Birmingham, Al Metro

I should be up around noon eastern tomorrow, need sleep, been up for close to 36 hours. Not much will change in the next 8 hours. I will resume updates once I wake up

The fibers do come in underground but it's almost all via 3rd avenue into the back of the office.
Another point as to this, the underground fibers are usually run in underground storm systems, drainage facilities etc. There didn't appear to be any under "Street Level" or "Below Street Level" damage after the attack

Even if it was a lone wolf, it’s likely the bombing had a motive, and knew was he was attacking.

Doesn’t take an FBI profiler to suspect this was probably a:

-Male

-Military or ex military 

-Communication experience and expertise (maybe military engineering leading to private sector with Telco)

-Self-righteous (didn’t want to kill anyone, and would argue they have a moral purpose)

-Radically anti-government and radicalized (though who knows what they define as the government they oppose)
Looks like you have been watching some Criminal Minds..sound like Hodge.

All very odd to me. 

Why? No ideological statement. Not targeting human life. Struck at a time to be most successful in targeting what is otherwise highly secured critical infrastructure, and looks like successfully. What was the gain? 
Was data destroyed?

All very odd to me. 

Why? No ideological statement. Not targeting human life. Struck at a time to be most successful in targeting what is otherwise highly secured critical infrastructure, and looks like successfully. What was the gain? 
No, I agree.  Was just kidding you.

There’s no way critical data would be destroyed without being backed up. No critical program has a single point of failure. That doesn’t mean someone might not send a message akin to “we know what you’re doing and that it goes through here” — even if it’s a pass-through for data. 

This starts to get into spy thriller territory, but it is so weird I’m going to... let’s imagine the US wasn’t a passive victim of the Solarwinds hack. Let’s imagine we have been just as active, if not more-so, in our our cyber warefare. What if Solarwinds wasn’t an offense move, but a response. And what if since we have increased our own efforts to disrupt critical infrastructure in our response. Remember, a bug we introduced to Iran years ago blew up their centrifuges, which was a critical piece (in their view) of their national defense.

Point is, this could be someone sending a message that they have a blueprint to where they can do real damage if they so choose, so back off.

Or, it could be a guy who thought he could bore a hole in the wall and steal the photos from Taylor Swift’s iCloud.
Or someone who is just super serious about business continuity testing.

What are they for?

They're broadcasting from my office building now, which about two blocks from the blast. Apparently our parking lot and building is being used by the FBI/ATF as a hub. We were already remote because of covid, but got another email this morning that they've turned the building/lot over to the agents to use as they may need.  No clue if they're using the building or just the lot, but we've been told our badges won't work and all the entry ways are blocked anyway. 

The POI is being reported as Anthony Quinn Warner, 63, Nashville along with reports that he was flagged to the FBI twice in recent months.

THIS IS NOT VERIFIED (as far as I know).

However, a person with that name appears to own a custom alarm shop in Nashville, which would fit into the story we know so far pretty neatly.

ETA:  appears to have been named on air at CBS Nashville and appears federal agents are searching his home.

The POI is being reported as Anthony Quinn Warner, 63, Nashville along with reports that he was flagged to the FBI twice in recent months.

THIS IS NOT VERIFIED (as far as I know).

However, a person with that name appears to own a custom alarm shop in Nashville, which would fit into the story we know so far pretty neatly.

ETA:  appears to have been named on air at CBS Nashville and appears federal agents are searching his home.
On the left is the address of the Alarm Shop. On the right is a former address for Anthony Quinn Warner with an RV in the backyard (also in Streetview in the picture I posted above)

are these buildings bomb proof? looks like the front of one was heavily damaged, but from what these pics show it looks like mostly blown out windows, a couple cars mangled and burned. 

from the reports of the tremors felt 9-10 miles away and reports of it being possibly a McVeigh style fertilizer bomb i was expecting a gaping crater and multiple toppled buildings.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EqF7jqFXIAEcbGY?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EqF6PpgWMAAZwbz?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EqF6PpgXAAIb9Kq?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EqF6PpfXEAI2Dgh?format=jpg&name=large

https://twitter.com/HelenKennedy/status/1342491716700536832

https://twitter.com/aletweetsnews/status/1342492149477216258

Users who are viewing this thread