What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Explosion in Downtown Nashville (1 Viewer)

A lot of the cell service restored last night but there were a few markets that weren't back up until an hour or so ago due to limited power (can't turn everything up.) A lot of the internet routers were back up but the transport they rely on wasn't.
Based on what our friends have told us, I would have had service quicker if we drove back last night lol.

I mean here's a TLDR

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-38156985

For longer reading

A good article from the new yorker on this topic in general

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/03/19/reddit-and-the-struggle-to-detoxify-the-internet

Here's how the PizzaGate thing led to QAnon and then I suppose to some guy blowing up a camper next to an AT&T building (noting, that this has not happened yet at this timestamp..)

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/06/qanon-nothing-can-stop-what-is-coming/610567/
thanks!

I only know one person who seemed to buy into the pizzagate stuff, spread it on the internet and said that there was so much real evidence that he was convinced, and he was a co founder of this site.  He's not a dumb guy or a horrible person or a deliberate propagandist.  Yet he seemed to have bought in hook line and sinker. 

I only know one person who seemed to buy into the pizzagate stuff, spread it on the internet and said that there was so much real evidence that he was convinced, and he was a co founder of this site.  He's not a dumb guy or a horrible person or a deliberate propagandist.  Yet he seemed to have bought in hook line and sinker. 
I don't believe it, but I do a lot of that internet "world within a world" thoroughly confusing - I'm not interested in pursuing active participation in it ...but would be good to understand how information gets manipulated and promoted.  

I mean here's a TLDR

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-38156985

For longer reading

A good article from the new yorker on this topic in general

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/03/19/reddit-and-the-struggle-to-detoxify-the-internet

Here's how the PizzaGate thing led to QAnon and then I suppose to some guy blowing up a camper next to an AT&T building (noting, that this has not happened yet at this timestamp..)

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/06/qanon-nothing-can-stop-what-is-coming/610567/
Another article about how Qanon swept through a suburban Colorado town of housewives and young mothers: https://theintercept.com/2020/09/23/qanon-conspiracy-theory-colorado/

I don't believe it, but I do a lot of that internet "world within a world" thoroughly confusing - I'm not interested in pursuing active participation in it ...but would be good to understand how information gets manipulated and promoted.  
I mean with information as it is you can manipulate anything, you can make people think that David Boston should be a 2nd round draft pick in redraft, based on a few thin reports and measurables that you can extrapolate.  Get a few smart people to buy in and echo this and you have given birth to a conspiracy, or was it?

It's scary. There are "troll" accounts created in advance with pictures of real people (and probably deep fakes now from sites like this person does not exist). They post random crap like knitting or cooking or whatever. They get some followers by posting sharable memes and content. Then they post a random "can't believe Obama did this", then go back to their regular content.  They might start out posting things that are true and easily verifiable and lose some liberal followers, but they start posting things that are objectively false and their conservative followers believed the first stuff so why would they question the new stuff.

They're still posting regular knitting content, but they throw out more and more memes for people to share on Facebook and they show people who don't usually share photos how easy it is to share their political memes, and just put a single "fact" out there like oh man I wouldn't usually believe this but I heard that 5g towers are killing bees and thats scary. Then a little while later they say its not just the bees its causing other problems. Oh maybe it's causing covid.  And next thing you know, people are burning down 5g towers because they're spreading covid. What. The. ####. 

Or they imply that there's some kind of big conspiracy, which is catnip for their followers, but they don't say what it is. Then they suggest that the conspiracy is related to high level democrats, but no details. Then they slowly post "facts" about children being abused, about possible locations where its happening, about possible ways that it might be organized, some link between a democrat and some thing they've already planted seeds about (but no direct connection), and let people draw their own conclusions. 

Imagine if i told you your kid was a liar and you shouldn't feed him.  You'd tell me to go pound sand.

Now imagine if I mentioned how cookies have crumbs, and that there were cookies in the top shelf of the kitchen cabinet.  I'm still sharing funny memes or talking about football or weight loss or whatever. But then a little later, I mention that there were crumbs found near your cabinet.. the one where the cookies were.  No accusation, just telling you something and letting you draw your own conclusions.  Oh and that there was a chair found near the kitchen cabinet. And wasn't there a kid in the house who had figured out how to reach the upper shelves using a chair to climb up?  And that there was a kid who didn't want dinner tonight but now he wants chicken? Would you really do any research on this? Or just trust me because each fact seemed so innocuous? 

And then when that kid asked for some chicken fingers would you tell him no, even though you never saw him eat any cookies?  And there was already a char in the kitchen, and there were already crumbs on the counter?  There's just enough verifiable info for you to believe that this hungry kid has already had a cookie and refuse to feed your own kid.  

The Z Machine said:
Pure speculation based on nothing but a wild guess, but I bet there's a QAnon connection. 
I’m close to shutting down my FB account because it’s chuck full of this https://youtu.be/iMhDySGyI9E

Tired of dealing with the “everything is a conspiracy” from China flu to rigged elections to the now the government bombing Nashville.

I’m close to shutting down my FB account because it’s chuck full of this https://youtu.be/iMhDySGyI9E

Tired of dealing with the “everything is a conspiracy” from China flu to rigged elections to the now the government bombing Nashville.
Seen quite a bit of that posted yeah...they complain about misinformation...then proceed to present a ton of misinformation and lies.

Apparently, the Mayor, FBI, Media, are all in on it...and it was a missile strike (ignoring that the plume they refer to went up and not down).  

My favorite meme I saw was showing news anchor saying something like "and now for expert analysis, we go to the comment section"

culdeus said:
So this guy was a 5G truther that felt like he should die for that cause?  This the first suicide bomber incited by 4chan memers?  I sort of forget if they've managed to get anyone else to actually go thru with something like that?  
The house seems to have kind of taken this line of thought and run with it. Where did the idea that the guy was a 5G truther come from? Bombing location just too convenient to be anything else? Why "5G truther" and not "general sower of chaos"?

Serious question, what's stopping you? I lasted about one month on FB before I couldn't handle the complete and utter idiocy that seemed to permeate it. But I know some people just can't help themselves, while others have reliances on it, be it for kid's activities or whatever.

The house seems to have kind of taken this line of thought and run with it. Where did the idea that the guy was a 5G truther come from? Bombing location just too convenient to be anything else? Why "5G truther" and not "general sower of chaos"?
FBI released some of that information saying they are looking into the 5g angle...perhaps something when they searched his home?

Because that is what the news reported

Federal investigators are “looking seriously” at whether “paranoia over 5G technology” led an Antioch man to detonate a bomb inside of an RV in downtown Nashville Christmas morning, killing himself, injuring three others and damaging more than 40 buildings, according to law enforcement sources.

The sources told ABC News that Anthony Quinn Warner, 63, may have been motivated, at least in part, by that paranoia, which also possibly extended to “a range of things, including the existence of life in outer space.”

Metro police and the FBI have not revealed if they believe the AT&T building where the RV was parked was Warner’s intended target, but said they are investigating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Serious question, what's stopping you? I lasted about one month on FB before I couldn't handle the complete and utter idiocy that seemed to permeate it. But I know some people just can't help themselves, while others have reliances on it, be it for kid's activities or whatever.
There are some really informative facebook groups for all manner of health issues.  I don't really understand why those types of groups have to form on facebook, but here we are.

Many of them now have splinter groups on telegraph that have fallen out due to general facebook hate.  

I've got my facebook profile deleted and only enter the relevant health groups when needed.  With telegraph taking it's place, that's not likely to be required much longer.   

My instagram is full of yoga pants type stuff, and has no IRL follows at all.  

what house?

Capella said:
What’s the conspiracy deal with 5G? Did they worry this much about 3G or 4G?
I remember some people being that way when 4G was new.  I was selling mobile phones at the time and heard it every day from at least one customer for a time.  Then I suddenly stopped hearing it (well, it was much less often).  I'm not sure what caused people to stop.

"The house" meaning "the assembled FBGs posting in this thread".
I mean some of us actually read the news every now and then.  I mean it was speculation even at the time it happened, but the FBI more or less confirmed it was the motive, if not the sole motive, it was a part of it.

I remember some people being that way when 4G was new.  I was selling mobile phones at the time and heard it every day from at least one customer for a time.  Then I suddenly stopped hearing it (well, it was much less often).  I'm not sure what caused people to stop.
There was always the brain cancer concern.  But people quit using their phones for actual talking so that went away.  That was more or less the birth of the conspiracy, as it were.  There hasn't really been a noticeable rise in brain cancers since.  

I mean some of us actually read the news every now and then.  I mean it was speculation even at the time it happened, but the FBI more or less confirmed it was the motive, if not the sole motive, it was a part of it.
All I can find in current news (generally old-line news sources) is that the FBI is investigating the possible motive and the potential link to 5G conspiracy theory ... not that any conclusions have yet been reached.

When you posted about it yesterday, I had not been following the investigation news, and the idea that "of course he was a 5G truther!" seemed speculative at the time.

All I can find in current news (generally old-line news sources) is that the FBI is investigating the possible motive and the potential link to 5G conspiracy theory ... not that any conclusions have yet been reached.

When you posted about it yesterday, I had not been following the investigation news, and the idea that "of course he was a 5G truther!" seemed speculative at the time.
It's not confirmed but that was the leader in the clubhouse at the time. The fbi is not currently commenting on it

I have groups on there that I need access to, some of them kids-activities-related. But I almost never scroll through my feed anymore, it's too insane and depressing. 

My father in law was ranting about this last night. How on facebook he saw this was related to the auditing of Dominion voting machines by that building in Nashville..  :lmao:

EVERYTHING is a conspiracy in 2020..

I realized it’s morally wrong to patronize that platform. It’s too dangerous, too powerful, too toxic. Mankind is not ready for it.

It should be illegal for our data capture to exist as the center of the social media model. It should be an app you pay for, and your data should be private.

We live in a worse world for Facebook.
I think you just hit on why I have never joined Facebook despite almost everyone in my life asking me to at one point or another. Privacy was the big thing but like you I feel it is morally wrong to put that much power in the hands of one person. Especially one who comes across as a real ;÷^《

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone likes to hate on Facebook like your crazy uncle didn't email something with 15 fwds in the title that was every bit as bad before they found Facebook.  They didn't create the content they just created a more targeted platform for it to spread.  If they shut down tomorrow the next social media option would fill the void. 

Everyone likes to hate on Facebook like your crazy uncle didn't email something with 15 fwds in the title that was every bit as bad before they found Facebook.  They didn't create the content they just created a more targeted platform for it to spread.  If they shut down tomorrow the next social media option would fill the void. 
Not to mention all the word wrapping that make trying to read something that looked the DNA of a rhesus monkey. 

Just do it. Trust me, the people you actually want to stay connected with you will, and everyone else, who cares? Facebook is more about shallow meaningless relationships that make you feel like you have a relationship with people, but you don’t. There’s nothing redeeming about Facebook that you can’t get somewhere else without the swamp of FB.

I did it over a year ago and haven’t missed it one bit despite being a fairly early adopter of FB.

Facebook is the world’s most advanced persuasion machine. It has so much deterministic data it can figure out ways to predict your response to precise methods of persuasion, and then it does by selling you as a product to the highest bidder.
I just do a Google search for "chemise" on a regular basis, and then the subsequent FB ads that pop up are a pleasant distraction.

that's what i'm saying

old people have been talking crazy since the dawn of time. changing the name of the platform won't change people's loose grip on reality.

I think you just hit on why I have never joined Facebook despite almost everyone in my life asking me to at one point or another. Privacy was the big thing but like you I feel it is morally wrong to put that much power in the hands of one person. Especially one who comes across as a real ;÷^《
I think the Internet itself is both the best and worst invention of mankind.

Old people have been talking crazy since the dawn of time. changing the name of the platform won't change people's loose grip on reality.
It's not the talking-crazy part that's the problem. It's that the "talking crazy" folks used to be isolated and that their musings rarely reached any kind of critical mass in the wider world of ideas. Today, social media not only shows the "talking crazy" folks that there are many like minds out there ... but also that there are several avenues of idea-vetting that get treated online as equally rigorous and righteous.

I think the Internet itself is both the best and worst invention of mankind.
on one hand it allows access to any and all information in the blink of an eye, which is amazing.

on the other hand it allows access to any and all information in the blink of an eye, which is horrifying.

there's no such thing as wonder anymore. there isn't any room for just not knowing. to ask questions is seen as a shortcoming of the stupid. everyone who has access to the internet knows everything and it's just obvious that they do. they do because they read about it on the internet, right then.  the 10 seconds of wikipedia reading they did makes them feel like they wrote a 300 page thesis on the topic and spent years researching for just this moment. for some people there's no wavering that belief. they are expert at everything because of the internet.

you can't even out loud wonder about the geopolitics of Malawi without someone condescendingly treating you like an idiot for not knowing their entire history. 

I mean I don't know about that.  There are plenty of other options that don't have the problems Facebook has created.  Heck even their own Instagram is order of magnitude's better.  Facebook's bad because the people that run Facebook want it to be bad because that bad algorithm increases revenue based off the ad solicition policies Facebook has put in place.  It's a self-reinforcing feedback loop that Facebook chooses to run.  It not the platform that's bad, but rather the feedback loop they run.       

No way.  

And your crazy uncle on facebook got no dopamine hit from likes from that email.  What they have is a highly addictive system where people post fringe content to get likes, which sets in motion people getting more and more fringe content up and published.

Whether another platform would fill this void.  Maybe.  But the zoomers are already moving away from facebook simply to private chats on SMS and places like discord and telegraph.  

Facebook is for your loser uncle skimming for clean pedo stuff, and alt-righters that want to push fear porn on people.  

I’m probably more on the I can’t help myself side. I’ve taken a stance not to unfollow anyone, regardless of their craziness and, with very few exceptions, I’ve adhered to that over the years but with the development of the Q followers and seeing more & more of my friends travel down that road it’s increasingly more difficult to enjoy the experience of actually interacting with friends. I’d hate to lose some of the people that I regularly stay in touch with via FB but I also don’t plan to keep putting all the nut jobs on snooze for the next 10 years.

It sounds like the perp was very alone and depressed.  It's a pain unlike any other for the human animal. There is no excuse for what he did but maybe, just maybe, if someone would have tried to be his friend, this doesn't happen. 

I mean I don't know about that.  There are plenty of other options that don't have the problems Facebook has created.  Heck even their own Instagram is order of magnitude's better.  Facebook's bad because the people that run Facebook want it to be bad because that bad algorithm increases revenue based off the ad solicition policies Facebook has put in place.  It's a self-reinforcing feedback loop that Facebook chooses to run.  It not the platform that's bad, but rather the feedback loop they run.       
the same people telling me that Instagram is so much better than Facebook are the same people who told me Facebook was so much better than MySpace and they're the same ones that told me MySpace was so much better than Usenet newsgroups, etc.

No way.  

And your crazy uncle on facebook got no dopamine hit from likes from that email.  What they have is a highly addictive system where people post fringe content to get likes, which sets in motion people getting more and more fringe content up and published.

Whether another platform would fill this void.  Maybe.  But the zoomers are already moving away from facebook simply to private chats on SMS and places like discord and telegraph.  

Facebook is for your loser uncle skimming for clean pedo stuff, and alt-righters that want to push fear porn on people.  
what the hell kind of friend circle do you have these days that this is your facebook?

mine is full of pictures of my friends families on vacation, their pets and ads from sneaker companies. 

what the hell kind of friend circle do you have these days that this is your facebook?

mine is full of pictures of my friends families on vacation, their pets and ads from sneaker companies. 
Mine used to be like yours, now it’s full of alt-right conspiracy Qanon followers.

Users who are viewing this thread