What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Now that there's a 17-game schedule plan in place . . . (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: It's only a matter of time that the NFL will expand and add more teams to the league now that there's a 17-game schedule plan on the horizon.  I can name the 4 major markets that could use an NFL expansion franchise: St. Louis, Portland, San Diego, and San Antonio.  Let's look at the 4 major benefits of having an NFL expansion franchise in each of those 4 cities.

St. Louis

Obviously, the Rams winning the Super Bowl was the greatest thing to ever happen to St. Louis.  The Cardinals have a good fan base, and the Blues just won the Stanley Cup in 2019.  And St. Louis is getting a MLS soccer franchise in 2023, so why not add the NFL as well?

Portland

The birth of the Trail Blazers put Portland on the American sports map.  And the fact that they won an NBA championship in 1977 makes it a great location for NFL football.  And Portland has an MLS Club as well, so the NFL definitely needs to consider Portland as an expansion launching pad.

San Diego

Before they moved back to Los Angeles, the Chargers were definitely getting good attendance numbers at Qualcomm Stadium.  I'm sure San Diego would welcome the NFL back with open arms, even if the franchise they get isn't the Chargers.

San Antonio

The Spurs keep getting good attendance numbers, even if they don't win another NBA Championship.  If the state of Texas can hold 3 NBA teams, then it can definitely hold 3 NFL teams as well.  Besides, the AAF franchise were getting good crowds before they folded.

If anyone can name any other markets that could use an NFL expansion franchise, please feel free to let me know.

I hear ya, but I think we all know an expansion team is coming to somewhere outside to the US soon.

I contend Toronto or Vancouver will get one as well as London.

You make good points with the ones you mention, but an international one is coming.
With national security as issue for everyone these days, could make travel for games very tricky for some players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn’t the real money in TV, vs in game attendance?  Seems to me that a new model of smaller, more intimate but tech heavy stadiums would be benefit everyone. 

Monsterous multi billion dollar stadiums simply aren’t going to happen outside of a few exceptions moving forward.  

They can already do some of this with the 17 game schedule. 8 home, 8 away, and one neutral site which could be any city in the world. 
Agreed. The neutral site game is a better way to handle international games in London, Mexico, Canada, et al. than to count it as a home game for one of the teams as has been done to date. And it might be challenging to come up with 16 international games, so it would be easy to fill in with games in Columbus, San Antonio, Orlando, etc. Whatever cities have available stadiums with sufficient capacity and likely to generate high attendance.

As for the OP, I'm pretty skeptical about San Diego ever getting a team again, unless the new owner is willing to pay for the stadium, like Kroenke... but the financial upside for a stadium in San Diego is not nearly as high as for Kroenke's investment in LA. San Diego made it clear that it is not willing to pay significant money for a new pro football stadium, so that would seem to be a sticking point.

I hear ya, but I think we all know an expansion team is coming to somewhere outside to the US soon.

I contend Toronto or Vancouver will get one as well as London.

You make good points with the ones you mention, but an international one is coming.
Toronto makes sense for sure.

I'm guessing Mexico City won't be on the list but that could be fun. 

I'd be against adding teams in the US. but international could work

Users who are viewing this thread