What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post covid vacation (1 Viewer)

The Dude

Footballguy
Expectations are covid could be fairly in check around May.  If you haven’t been traveling, what’s your trip hopes for 2021?

for us, Bahamas, Florida, San Juan or maybe Hawaii

Portland, OR in early April (visiting friend for a few days and heading down the coast)

Akaska in late May (Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna, and Seward)

Philly in late September (concert and time in Poconos)

i’m personally gonna sit 2021 out.  i just don’t think this will be gone till Q3-4 and at that point, why push the envelope.  it sucks, but i am not yet a believer.

Akumal, thailand, bali, hawaii... for tropical

France, Italy, or Austria for Europe (would depend on the season)

New Orleans or Vegas for domestic (missing the annual vegas trip)

The Dude said:
Expectations are covid could be fairly in check around May.  If you haven’t been traveling, what’s your trip hopes for 2021?

for us, Bahamas, Florida, San Juan or maybe Hawaii
We have a softball tournament in New York in June - hoping we can go to Canada to see Niagara  - we have 2 other traveling softball tournaments in July hoping for the best

Not planning any extravagant trips in 2021. Really want to get back to Europe after our 2020 trip was canceled. Currently have a road trip to Yellowstone/Tetons planned in mid-July. Camping.

Hotels and resorts are going to get hammered with bookings once things open up.  Going to be difficult to get anything.  

Hotels and resorts are going to get hammered with bookings once things open up.  Going to be difficult to get anything.  
That's my issue.  I'd love to take a bunch of vacations but really don't want to deal with extremely busy airports, overcrowded hotels/resorts.  I'll settle for hanging out in bars again and getting back to going to concerts/ballgames, etc...

That's my issue.  I'd love to take a bunch of vacations but really don't want to deal with extremely busy airports, overcrowded hotels/resorts.  I'll settle for hanging out in bars again and getting back to going to concerts/ballgames, etc...
We will be actively avoiding air travel until sometime after it's no longer crazy. 2021 will probably be driving destinations only. 

We aren't preparing to be vacc'd by summer, so we are just getting a NC beach house with 7-10 others and will do a long weekend in hocking hills (appalachia-lite) with my brother's family. Wife and I will be celebrating #10 and would like to do a couple days in the finger lakes if they aren't getting too crushed (but they probably will).

Gonna do a long weekend in Disney at some point, but staying flexible and waiting for the initial flood of vacationers to simmer down before deciding when. Fall would be cool, but it'll probably be 12-15 months from now. 

thinking about maybe going past the end of my driveway. possibly even down the street.  see what's changed. once i'm over the shock of all the new foliage in my neighborhood, i'll take some time to think about branching out to new neighborhoods.

I'll probably go up to Santa Barbara for a long weekend with buddies since 2020's trip got cancelled.  Can't afford to do much else with two kids in tow.

Maybe Florida. We'll wait and see how the next few months go before we make a decision. Hoping to go to Hawaii in 2022. 

we are set up for a trip to Palm Island (Grenadines) in April.

it was cancelled due to covid about the same time last year - not sure if we can cancel/move our reservations for the room and then the airlines and still get full credit at this point if we decide we don't want to go at that time.

wife is saying she is "####in' goin'" - lol

thinking about maybe going past the end of my driveway. possibly even down the street.  see what's changed. once i'm over the shock of all the new foliage in my neighborhood, i'll take some time to think about branching out to new neighborhoods.
"Make sure you wear a mask even if it is in the middle of the night. I mean hypothetically a mugger could attack you when you least expect it and you need to think of them."

/timgenzmach

Drunken knight said:
Akumal, thailand, bali, hawaii... for tropical

France, Italy, or Austria for Europe (would depend on the season)

New Orleans or Vegas for domestic (missing the annual vegas trip)
If you do Vegas for FFPC, I plan to go again in 21. Drafting from home sucked

If you do Vegas for FFPC, I plan to go again in 21. Drafting from home sucked
Yeah.... we all did a teams draft for FFPC. Not nearly as fun.

For several years I have been advocating for us to rotate the draft site (New Orleans, Cabo, etc), as we started doing it online vs the draft room.  This year I missed Vegas.

Chemical X said:
i’m personally gonna sit 2021 out.  i just don’t think this will be gone till Q3-4 and at that point, why push the envelope.  it sucks, but i am not yet a believer.
There's no way that the pandemic is in check by May to sufficiently to put the worry behind.  Q3 maybe, Q4 more likely, with still a long way to go in the developing world.

parasaurolophus said:
"Make sure you wear a mask even if it is in the middle of the night. I mean hypothetically a mugger could attack you when you least expect it and you need to think of them."

/timgenzmach
See, that's 100% wrong.  There are no muggings in Baltimore, just murders and home invasions.

There's no way that the pandemic is in check by May to sufficiently to put the worry behind.  Q3 maybe, Q4 more likely, with still a long way to go in the developing world.
Was just about to post this. I saw "Post Covid" and "April" in a lot of posts and was thinking, WTF?

Chemical X said:
We won't sit 2021 out fully, most likely we'll do very similar as we did this year. 

Cabin near the mountains or lake in the early summer, beach house (HHI) in October (booked the week after we returned this year). I told my soon to be 18yo we'll take a vacation anywhere he wants within reason. He picked new orleans. So now I need to figure out the right time to go. It would just be the 2 of us but I'm not ready to take him to Mardi gras, even without the pandemic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just about to post this. I saw "Post Covid" and "April" in a lot of posts and was thinking, WTF?
Earlier this week, it was reported that anyone that wants a vaccine will have one by late April/May.  

then it was reported vaccines are way behind.

My wife and I are meeting up with my sister and her boyfriend for a hiking trip in late May.  I'm the only one in this little group that isn't currently vaccinated, but I expect that I will be by that time.  (In fairness, we would probably be taking this trip even if none of us were vaccinated since it's so low-risk).  

We're going to Greece in October with my FIL -- he found cheap tickets.  

Planning on going to Scottsdale for spring break. Blocked middle seats on Delta, KN95 masks, only outdoor activities in AZ. 

We are going to Colorado for 2 weeks to ski, the last week of February and the first week of March. It looks like the virus is under control there according to the tri-county health department link below.

https://www.tchd.org/823/COVID-19-Data

Edit, my wife does not want to fly and I do not blame her. So we are going to drive to Denver with a 3 and 5 year old. Easy peasy.

Just wondering how people are feeling with vaccine progress and travel
Looks like 2021 will just be more camping trips.  Will be booking far in advance for any campsites or cabins based on availability late last year.

If at some point outdoor concerts are deemed safe, my wife and I will probably go anywhere within reasonable driving distance.

While I'm not planning on things being 100% normal until much later this year, I do suspect that throughout the year, things will be improving and stuff that was high risk becomes medium risk, etc..  Tentatively planning:

Spring Break - drive somewhere south where we can do outdoor activities, but will limit interaction.

June - Had a Hawaii trip from 2020 that I rebooked for 2021.  Hopeful this happens, but we'll see how numbers look as we get closer. 

good call on booking camping spots - that was tough to come by last year.  

We were in Hawaii in Nov '19. Last Fall we made reservations to return this month but cancelled them about 3 months ago. Just made new reservations to return later this year in Dec.  Earlier this week we got confirmed reservations to get the first vaccine shot first week of March.

We are booked for Disney World in late Nov/early Dec, rescheduled from the same time last year. 

We also hope to visit my mother in Cape Cod over the summer. We traditionally do that every summer but didn't last year. 

Both would be driving, not flying. My wife and I are scheduled to be vaccinated in March. 

We had planned on a trip to Maine in June to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary.. but with the unknown of covid we decided to get a sleeper cabin on Amtrak and travel to Glacier National Park and spend a week there.

One of my all time favorite places to be so I'm good with the change. :thumbup:

We will be actively avoiding air travel until sometime after it's no longer crazy. 2021 will probably be driving destinations only. 

We aren't preparing to be vacc'd by summer, so we are just getting a NC beach house with 7-10 others and will do a long weekend in hocking hills (appalachia-lite) with my brother's family. Wife and I will be celebrating #10 and would like to do a couple days in the finger lakes if they aren't getting too crushed (but they probably will).

Gonna do a long weekend in Disney at some point, but staying flexible and waiting for the initial flood of vacationers to simmer down before deciding when. Fall would be cool, but it'll probably be 12-15 months from now. 
Bailing on Disney late fall - don't want to deal with air travel and wary the parks will be packed - waiting in lines concern, not virus. By the time those questions could be answered it'd be too late to book anyway. So, just gonna do it sometime early in 2022. Other 3 treks are a go.

My wife and I are both now vaccinated (both in health care). 

We've booked Disney for April.  Neither of us have ever been, so excited.  We don't have any kids yet, so it'll be cool to do a trip prior to that.  

We also have a beach trip planned for July.

Friend's destination wedding in Jamaica end of  July, hopefully.  It was already postponed from last July.

Eagles game in Vegas whenever its scheduled in the Fall / Winter.

Does anyone know if American extended their vouchers? Delta is great with communication and I know the tickets I had for April 2020 are still good there. But I haven't gotten jack-#### from American since mid-2020. As bad as American customer service is, I am assuming I just lost out on that money?

We had planned on a trip to Maine in June to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary.. but with the unknown of covid we decided to get a sleeper cabin on Amtrak and travel to Glacier National Park and spend a week there.

One of my all time favorite places to be so I'm good with the change. :thumbup:
Tell me more about this.  I've always wanted to do train ride type vacation.  

One word.. AWESOME! 

The first class service is great. There is a button in your room that notifies an attendant that you need something. So as to not test my wife's motion sickness issues, we choose to have all meals delivered to our room. Meals are included with the price of the room. Before Covid, they had an afternoon wine tasting experience , which again was free. Was fun to meet other travelers and get to know each other during the :banned:

There is normally 2 roomettes and a family room on the bottom of the car going to Glacier.. There are bathrooms and showers in the car.

Although the room may seem small, the lower bed folds up during the day for seats which gave us plenty of room during the day. There is temperature controls in each room. 

Before the last trip to Glacier I had ridden Amtrak to California and Glacier, and didn't mind coach. But knew if I had any chance of getting my wife to enjoy the trip it would only be in a sleeper. Until this year I wasn't sure how much she enjoyed the train, but it was her choice to take the train again so she must have liked it.

Can't wait for June..   :)  

Pros - you get to see the sights along the train route, and a good route can have some amazing scenery,  plus trains can have sleeper cars or seats with tables where you face each other, and they have better bathrooms than airplanes with a food car

Cons - its slower than air but more expensive than driving, you go in and out of cell coverage areas, the food car is usually pretty mediocre and expensive, it's like air travel with just a little bit of turbulence at all times (but never a lot), it can be noisy and smelly depending on the train, you spend hours traveling somewhere instead of being there, and the sights you see are often of the backs of houses, the train tracks, boring open areas and when you finally get somewhere good you pass it fairly quickly

We took the Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver to Jasper 5 years ago and it was awesome. Did an overnight in between and first class service all the way. What a great way to see the Canadian Rockies. We were planning on doing a train tour around Switzerland last year, but COVID. We're heading to Alaska at then end of May (hopefully) with a train trip to Denali from Talkeetna. 

We took the Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver to Jasper 5 years ago and it was awesome. Did an overnight in between and first class service all the way. What a great way to see the Canadian Rockies. We were planning on doing a train tour around Switzerland last year, but COVID. We're heading to Alaska at then end of May (hopefully) with a train trip to Denali from Talkeetna. 
We typically drive, but one year we took the train from Germany to Venice.  Wonderful experience 

Users who are viewing this thread