What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Transcendental Meditation - Anybody tried it? (1 Viewer)

northern exposure

Footballguy
I have been dealing with insomnia for a while now and it is getting worse. I have been listening to some podcasts where TM has been mentioned as an effective treatment for insomnia and also stress reduction. Jerry Seinfeld and Jane Lynch have both promoted it as essential to their well being in some recent podcasts I have heard. The extent of their practice seems to be a mantra that is repeated for 20 minutes a day. They say they sleep better, awake feeling more rested and it reduces their stress levels.

You have to go to a TM teacher and spend some time listening to lectures before you receive your personal mantra and from researching locally the cost seems to be about $1250 to get started. My knowledge of TM before this was limited to hearing The Beatles were involved with it.

Has anybody in the FFA tried TM or known someone that practiced or practices it?

I've done it; wish I had the dedication to stick with it.  It's incredibly simple to do.  The $1250 fee is outrageously high - but it is designed so that people who can afford it supplement the free teaching offered by the various teachers and the TM community - for instance, they are teaching TM to veterans who suffer PTSD for free, and they also have lower costs for those with lower income (they don't verify income, it's the honor system).

My TM instructor (a friend) was taught by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi - the same master that taught the Beatles.  Because she's my friend, I was able to learn TM without having to pay the fee - but that is very rare in the TM community.  Most instructors stick with the company policy of not teaching the method for free (or even a small donation).  My friend believes that the the Maharishi would have been appalled at the cost they are charging for the course right now.

I've done it; wish I had the dedication to stick with it.  It's incredibly simple to do.  The $1250 fee is outrageously high - but it is designed so that people who can afford it supplement the free teaching offered by the various teachers and the TM community - for instance, they are teaching TM to veterans who suffer PTSD for free, and they also have lower costs for those with lower income (they don't verify income, it's the honor system).

My TM instructor (a friend) was taught by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi - the same master that taught the Beatles.  Because she's my friend, I was able to learn TM without having to pay the fee - but that is very rare in the TM community.  Most instructors stick with the company policy of not teaching the method for free (or even a small donation).  My friend believes that the the Maharishi would have been appalled at the cost they are charging for the course right now.
Thanks for the reply. Did you find TM helpful/useful?

I did it steady for a few months, then fell off.  I liked it when I was doing it.  I wasn't under any specific stress and so can't speak as to whether it was useful to reduce stress.  I believe that it would be helpful for me if I could stick with it.  I've never heard/read anything negative about doing it.  I expect that it's benefits are similar to other forms mantra meditation, though I haven't tried any other types of meditation.  The TM process is so easy - maybe that's why it's popular and expensive (or maybe it's just marketing).

finding inner quietude is the best hedge against stress and depression. as we used to say as kids, "back to base, Joe" - good to have an island in the stream. the TM taught me in hippie communes didnt stick w me, but i found other methods.

For sleep and stress (really the medical version of mother's Count to Ten) may i recommend Dr Weil's 4-7-8 breathing technique. drives bedmates goofy, but it works for many and is a great 'coffee break' during the workday. GL -

$1,250 sounds pretty steep.  I'd suggest experimenting with a mobile app first. To name three highly rated apps: Waking Up; 10% Happier, and Headspace.

Also, speaking of podcasts, I have found lots are great for inducing sleep, especially the ones that go on about things I can't comprehend.  Try Peter Attia's The Drive, or Sean Carroll's Mindscape.  I also get sleep mileage out of the History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps and The British History Podcast.

ETA: I used to have an audiobook of Moby **** I pulled down from my podcast search function that worked well too. I'll be at the Spouter Inn sleeping ...well, until Queequeg arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. I will give wikkidpissah's and Mister CIA's suggestions a shot.
I've tried both Waking Up and 10% Happier, and both are excellent, though I struggle with sticktoitiveness; and, I've heard only good things about Headspace.

10% Happier is interesting because they present their product as meditation for skeptics. I've stuck with the Waking Up app because I was grandfathered in at $7/month for supporting Harris' podcast way back.

Also, regarding Waking Up app, if you PM me your email address I can send you a link for a 30 day trial.  Well, that was the case a few months ago.  Pretty confident it's a standing offer.  Additionally,  assuming it's still a standing offer, for people who legit cannot afford the app ($15/month, I think), they can request free access for a year.

I hope I'm not citing expired facts.

finding inner quietude is the best hedge against stress and depression. as we used to say as kids, "back to base, Joe" - good to have an island in the stream. the TM taught me in hippie communes didnt stick w me, but i found other methods.

For sleep and stress (really the medical version of mother's Count to Ten) may i recommend Dr Weil's 4-7-8 breathing technique. drives bedmates goofy, but it works for many and is a great 'coffee break' during the workday. GL -
I have used this breathing 4-7-8 method and it helped me. I will still use it at times although I often forget the amount of seconds and I make it up on the fly.

Mister CIA said:
I've tried both Waking Up and 10% Happier, and both are excellent, though I struggle with sticktoitiveness; and, I've heard only good things about Headspace.

10% Happier is interesting because they present their product as meditation for skeptics. I've stuck with the Waking Up app because I was grandfathered in at $7/month for supporting Harris' podcast way back.

Also, regarding Waking Up app, if you PM me your email address I can send you a link for a 30 day trial.  Well, that was the case a few months ago.  Pretty confident it's a standing offer.  Additionally,  assuming it's still a standing offer, for people who legit cannot afford the app ($15/month, I think), they can request free access for a year.

I hope I'm not citing expired facts.
PM sent. Thanks.

I used the breathing technique for the month of January and ...I'm not seeing a change in my ability to fall asleep faster or anything really. These things can be difficult to describe, but what changes do you notice as a result of using the breathing technique?

I have been dealing with insomnia for a while now and it is getting worse. I have been listening to some podcasts where TM has been mentioned as an effective treatment for insomnia and also stress reduction. Jerry Seinfeld and Jane Lynch have both promoted it as essential to their well being in some recent podcasts I have heard. The extent of their practice seems to be a mantra that is repeated for 20 minutes a day. They say they sleep better, awake feeling more rested and it reduces their stress levels.

You have to go to a TM teacher and spend some time listening to lectures before you receive your personal mantra and from researching locally the cost seems to be about $1250 to get started. My knowledge of TM before this was limited to hearing The Beatles were involved with it.

Has anybody in the FFA tried TM or known someone that practiced or practices it?
I hear Steve Miller is a big advocate.  

I used the breathing technique for the month of January and ...I'm not seeing a change in my ability to fall asleep faster or anything really. These things can be difficult to describe, but what changes do you notice as a result of using the breathing technique?
i find it slows my thoughts, eases tension slightly. medically, it supposedly redistributes the oxygen that stress calls to the brain back to the rest of the body. just as meditation or medication aint for me, maybe this aint for you. that's the dang thing about insomnia - no cure-alls. some find their thing eventually, others never do. GL - sry for wasting your time & effort

i find it slows my thoughts, eases tension slightly. medically, it supposedly redistributes the oxygen that stress calls to the brain back to the rest of the body. just as meditation or medication aint for me, maybe this aint for you. that's the dang thing about insomnia - no cure-alls. some find their thing eventually, others never do. GL - sry for wasting your time & effort
I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me. I don't consider it a waste of my time & effort. I know I am pretty impatient with fixes to my situation. So, I didn't want to just give up on it if I hadn't given it enough time. I also thought I might be glossing over some of the smaller benefits of the breathing because I wasn't seeing a major difference in my sleeping.

I have tried lots of "remedies" and just haven't found the right one yet. Most things help for a little while (weighted blanket for example), but the results don't last.

Jesus promises peace, and in my experience, He delivers in spades. I'm just sayin', might be time to give Him a(nother?) go.

Binaural beats have been great for me.  Lots to choose from on YouTube that focus on different things. 

For me, it's overthinking, my brain doesn't shut off. Ever.  I had some blood preasure/anxiety type issues and found the guided meditations on YouTube.  Lots of breathing techniques, muscle relaxation progressions etc.  I stumbled upon binaural beats and ended up doing a lot of research and even found an app where I can make my own.  Works like a charm...earbuds in. Head on pillow.  Out withing 10 minutes.  Wake up very refreshed. 

Users who are viewing this thread