Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Woman Falsely Accuses (and then Assaults) Teen for Stealing her iPhone - Later Discovers She Left It in an Uber

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"CNN requested a copy of the hotel's surveillance footage, but NYPD's Chief of Detectives William Belichick indicated that the video evidence had been destroyed."

The hotel employee should have announced that he would break the phone in half and give part of it to each claimant. The one who agreed to let the other person take it whole is its true owner.

Yeah, I dont see someone mentally ill. I see someone spoiled, immature and self absorbed who thinks the world owes her something. I certainly understand that mental illness is a major (and vastly

1 hour ago, Tom Skerritt said:

A simple apology and acknowledging that she was crazy and stupid would probably help. 

Looking at this situation ... seeing the video and all ... I mean, is it really something that should be national news?

The distraught lady (I'll generously posit that she was "crazy in the moment", not "crazy 24/7") didn't call the cops on the kid or his dad. Her actions didn't escalate anything to where the kid and his dad were in danger -- that's where a lot of these incidents tip over in the public's mind. That kept the entire incident within the realm of "reasonable adults can work it out, even if grudgingly". Admittedly ... the lady needed to come down from "distraught" to "reasonable" for the parties to get past the theft accusation -- and for her to offer a self-effacing apology (assumedly, she felt like whale dung once her phone was returned).

Yes, she was otherwise doing wrong and breaking an unwritten social contract, apparently casting about for whomever was nearby to blame for the "phone theft". And of course I could be wrong about the following, but: we can't conclude one way or the other that she'd have let, say, a white skate-punk looking kid pass on by without comment -- if she had seen an iPhone on the skater's person, she probably would've accused him, too.

Disclosure: Both parties have brought up 'assault'. Harrold's dad said the lady tackled her son -- yet to me, the video taken doesn't support that. Maybe it happened after the video ended? By the same token, now the lady told CNN that she was assaulted. Unless hotel footage is revealed, I guess we'll never know.

52 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Apology accepted. Still hate to the PSF cluttered with threads like this but if it's cool with the mods then we're good.

Racial bias and cancel culture have been political topics for a while now here, and you have civil rights lawyers and now Al Sharpton involved in this controversy. This is the first time I’ve heard anyone complain about the PSF being “cluttered.”  The first page includes threads from 13 days ago for Pete’s sake.  So odd, but I don’t really care one way or another. As noted in my first post, I tried to locate the existing thread that discussed incidents like these, but my searches came up empty.

@FBG Moderator: Per NB’s inquiry, are you cool with this topic being in the PSF?  If not, please move it to the FFA or other appropriate location. Thanks!

Edited by bigbottom
  • Thanks 2
20 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Looking at this situation ... seeing the video and all ... I mean, is it really something that should be national news?

The distraught lady (I'll generously posit that she was "crazy in the moment", not "crazy 24/7") didn't call the cops on the kid or his dad. Her actions didn't escalate anything to where the kid and his dad were in danger -- that's where a lot of these incidents tip over in the public's mind. That kept the entire incident within the realm of "reasonable adults can work it out, even if grudgingly". Admittedly ... the lady needed to come down from "distraught" to "reasonable" for the parties to get past the theft accusation -- and for her to offer a self-effacing apology (assumedly, she felt like whale dung once her phone was returned).

Yes, she was otherwise doing wrong and breaking an unwritten social contract, apparently casting about for whomever was nearby to blame for the "phone theft". And of course I could be wrong about the following, but: we can't conclude one way or the other that she'd have let, say, a white skate-punk looking kid pass on by without comment -- if she had seen an iPhone on the skater's person, she probably would've accused him, too.

Disclosure: Both parties have brought up 'assault'. Harrold's dad said the lady tackled her son -- yet to me, the video taken doesn't support that. Maybe it happened after the video ended? By the same token, now the lady told CNN that she was assaulted. Unless hotel footage is revealed, I guess we'll never know.

The NYPD made a statement that they reviewed the surveillance footage and are considering filing charges against her.

The alleged assault mentioned by the father appears to have occurred at the end of the video when it shuts off. 

And rightly or wrongly (to your point), this thing is taking on a life of its own. The father just played “We Shall Overcome” on his trumpet at a press conference with Al Sharpton. And an individual already started receiving threats and online smears because people mistakenly thought she was the woman in the video. 

Edited by bigbottom
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Doug B said:

No, but it checks off some boxes that make it newsy in today's climate (big city + captured on video + "Karen" + black victim + cancel culture).

Take away the video and it's just a nothingburger dispute between two random citizens.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Sea Duck said:

No, but it checks off some boxes that make it newsy in today's climate (big city + captured on video + "Karen" + black victim + cancel culture).

Take away the video and it's just a nothingburger dispute between two random citizens.

I agree that it’s not worthy of being national news. But I still find it interesting (along with the ensuing media circus), which I guess doesn’t reflect well on me. To your point, video is powerful (justifiably or unjustifiably).  But take away the video and a whole bunch of stories (including police brutality incidents) are nothingburgers. 

22 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

I agree that it’s not worthy of being national news. But I still find it interesting (along with the ensuing media circus), which I guess doesn’t reflect well on me. To your point, video is powerful (justifiably or unjustifiably).  But take away the video and a whole bunch of stories (including police brutality incidents) are nothingburgers.

Well, I would agree that unrecorded police brutality doesn't get as much national news coverage, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them nothingburgers. You're still going to have witness testimony, evidence of injuries, lawsuits, government inquiries, etc. All of that stuff contributes to a story getting national coverage.

Edited by Sea Duck
25 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

And also... what evidence does she have that the kid stole her phone? I don’t think he bumped into her, he had every right to be there, and he did nothing wrong. You simply cannot go around accusing any random passerby with theft because you lost your phone. 

Throw in the racial component, the kid’s age, the lady going ape ####, and it being recorded, it’s going to become news. And I for one welcome the attention. White people need a freaking wake-up call. And they continue to sleep through all of the ones they’ve been getting thus far. 

1 hour ago, bigbottom said:

Racial bias and cancel culture have been political topics for a while now here, and you have civil rights lawyers and now Al Sharpton involved in this controversy. This is the first time I’ve heard anyone complain about the PSF being “cluttered.”  The first page includes threads from 13 days ago for Pete’s sake.  So odd, but I don’t really care one way or another. As noted in my first post, I tried to locate the existing thread that discussed incidents like these, but my searches came up empty.

@FBG Moderator: Per NB’s inquiry, are you cool with this topic being in the PSF?  If not, please move it to the FFA or other appropriate location. Thanks!

Or possibly merge with the other iPhone threads.

1 hour ago, Desert_Power said:

Merge it with this thread if possible (the search function is useless right now, but I found this in my browser history):

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/785785-official-cancel-culture-incidents/page/26/

Seriously, I did a search with “cancel” in the thread title and this link did not come up!

3 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Or maybe he would have showed her the phone background and a few photos and then helped look for hers. 

Maybe you have never been in a situation with someone triggered?  Maybe you are not used to dealing with people who are imbalanced?  MMQB here is not appropriate IMHO.

If you read the articles, the police are now looking at her for assault due to the security camera footage in the hotel.

It wasn’t so long ago some crazy lady in the park called 911 saying a black man was assaulting her.  We are not that far off here.

What about the woman blocking the black man from entering his own apartment building?  Could he of deescalated the situation by showing her mail and a photo ID?  How about instead you lead a life where you have to prove your worth wherever you go?

47 minutes ago, JAA said:

Maybe you have never been in a situation with someone triggered?  Maybe you are not used to dealing with people who are imbalanced?  MMQB here is not appropriate IMHO.

If you read the articles, the police are now looking at her for assault due to the security camera footage in the hotel.

It wasn’t so long ago some crazy lady in the park called 911 saying a black man was assaulting her.  We are not that far off here.

What about the woman blocking the black man from entering his own apartment building?  Could he of deescalated the situation by showing her mail and a photo ID?  How about instead you lead a life where you have to prove your worth wherever you go?

You potsed he could be dead. I thought we were to the bs hypothetical part of the thread. You were actually being serious? :lmao:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

You potsed he could be dead. I thought we were to the bs hypothetical part of the thread. You were actually being serious? :lmao:

The family of Tamir Rice doesn't find it as funny, I would imagine.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

The family of Tamir Rice doesn't find it as funny, I would imagine.

Apples to oranges. 

The scenario was if the dad wasnt there. First we started with some weird alternate universe where they would have put him on Rikers. Then we escalated to he could be dead. 

The police hadnt even been called yet and werent called until after the fact, on the woman.

If the woman or the manager got a hold of the phone they certainly would have never been called on the child, since obviously they would have learned it wasnt her phone. 

So its a really weird leap to think that somehow the dad prevented such a tragedy. 

I realize you were just virtue signaling and probably already knew this, but just in case. 

10 hours ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Apology accepted. Still hate to the PSF cluttered with threads like this but if it's cool with the mods then we're good.

Yeah, because there are so many "quality" threads here.:P  (sorry man, had to make that point--this place makes me feel slimy and I am glad it exists as a buffer for the FFA)

But back to the point, the lady accosted another person in the lobby first and accused them of stealing her phone before getting to this kid.  Then she demands this kid take his case off--like this kid is just walking around with an extra Iphone case so he can pull off this grand heist. Then she tells the manager to take this kid's phone and ultimately tries to tackle the kid as he tries to leave. This is cut and dry--she is wrong and the end game supports that. 

I don;t know if I am willing to support the whole racial angle, but it sure supports this is a crazy woman (and the CNN interview backs this) who became unhinged and lashed out at anyone she could. 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

I mean, everyone is arguing, I get it. But that alone doesn't make it a political thread. 

I thought you said your were good if the mods were good with leaving it here?  I even tagged a mod to address your inquiry. What an odd thing to be complaining about. I can guarantee if I posted a thread about a story involving cancel culture, claims of systemic racism, Al Sharpton and civil rights lawyers in the FFA, I’d be told to take it to the PSF. I’ll simply ask the mods to delete the thread since it seems to be bothering you and “cluttering” up the PSF.  Hopefully we can focus even more on Trump here. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, bigbottom said:

I thought you said your were good if the mods were good with leaving it here?  I even tagged a mod to address your inquiry. What an odd thing to be complaining about. I can guarantee if I posted a thread about a story involving cancel culture, claims of systemic racism, Al Sharpton and civil rights lawyers in the FFA, I’d be told to take it to the PSF. I’ll simply ask the mods to delete the thread since it seems to be bothering you and “cluttering” up the PSF.  Hopefully we can focus even more on Trump here. 

It seems to me that this thread obviously belongs in the PSF.  If for some reason you or the mods feel the need to do something, there's a "cancel culture" thread floating around in here someplace where this story could conceivably go.

That said, the obsession some people have with every story getting funneled into some pre-existing thread is kind of finicky.  

@FBG Moderator:  Please delete this thread. If there are newsworthy developments in the story, I will add to the existing cancel culture incidents thread (which I realize is in the PSF, by the way, but may garner fewer complaints). Many thanks. 

Edited by bigbottom
16 minutes ago, bigbottom said:
7 hours ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

I mean, everyone is arguing, I get it. But that alone doesn't make it a political thread. 

What an odd thing to be complaining about. 

OK I'll drop this shtick but only because no one but me is laughing.

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Doug B said:

"NYPD's chief of detectives Rodney Harrison released surveillance footage of the incident, showing the unidentified woman chasing after Keyon Harrold Jr. in the lobby of the Arlo Hotel in Manhattan on Saturday. The video shows the woman wrapping her arms around him before bringing him to the floor. Police also released a photo of her without a facemask. "

• Thanks 2
24 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

"NYPD's chief of detectives Rodney Harrison released surveillance footage of the incident, showing the unidentified woman chasing after Keyon Harrold Jr. in the lobby of the Arlo Hotel in Manhattan on Saturday. The video shows the woman wrapping her arms around him before bringing him to the floor. Police also released a photo of her without a facemask. "

Alright, so she assaulted a child.  What's the reasoning behind keeping her name private?  

• Thanks 2
57 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Of course the biggest cheap-shot artist of all time would eventually become a police detective.  ACAB indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2
29 minutes ago, General Malaise said:
57 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Alright, so she assaulted a child.  What's the reasoning behind keeping her name private?  

She hasn't been charged with a crime and she hasn't come forward and identified herself. Those two reasons should be enough to keep a private citizen from being nationally outed.

1 hour ago, DallasDMac said:

"CNN requested a copy of the hotel's surveillance footage, but NYPD's Chief of Detectives William Belichick indicated that the video evidence had been destroyed."

• Like 1
  • Laughing 4
  • Sad 1
30 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

She hasn't been charged with a crime and she hasn't come forward and identified herself. Those two reasons should be enough to keep a private citizen from being nationally outed.

They know who she is....she was a guest at the hotel.  Just seems like the video evidence is enough to charge her with a crime, no?

5 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

They know who she is....she was a guest at the hotel.  Just seems like the video evidence is enough to charge her with a crime, no?

After misidentifying at least one person previously, the Twitterverse has latched onto a new individual who they believe is the woman in question. The evidence appears fairly convincing, but who knows. I hope another innocent person doesn’t get her life upended because the police are withholding the name. 

17 minutes ago, General Malaise said:
48 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

There are two issues here. The first issue is whether she should be publicly outed despite the fact that she hasn't been charged with a crime, and none of the people involved (herself, the boy, his father, or anyone at the hotel) has named her.

My opinion is that NO ONE should be outed under those circumstances. That's trashy sensationalism.

The second issue is whether she should be charged with a crime. That's up to the victim and the police to decide.

*IF* she gets charged with a crime, then it would be fair game to name her.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
12 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

After misidentifying at least one person previously, the Twitterverse has latched onto a new individual who they believe is the woman in question. The evidence appears fairly convincing, but who knows. I hope another innocent person doesn’t get her life upended because the police are withholding the name. 

That would SUCK to be misidentified as a Karen or whatever.

Well, the NY Post is naming a name.  

I hate judging people when they are at their absolute worst, but she acted like a complete idiot and assaulted a child - after accusing him erroneously for stealing her phone which was never stolen in the first place.  Having a tough time mustering any sympathy for this lass. 

8 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

I hate judging people when they are at their absolute worst, but she acted like a complete idiot and assaulted a child - after accusing him erroneously for stealing her phone which was never stolen in the first place.  Having a tough time mustering any sympathy for this lass. 

plus, she was wearing yoga pants, which we will not tolerate.

4 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Exactly and she is doing media interviews and basically outing herself. 

The latest video showing her trying to tackle the kid not once but twice was pretty convincing of her guilt here. 

5 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Are we really still using the Karen stereotype?   I thought stereotyping was bad?? 

Seems a bit racist too, considering it's used specifically for white women.  Had this woman been black would we be doing this?

This lady clearly seems in the wrong and seems like she should possibly be charged with assaulting the kid, but I hate this current culture we have where someone does something kind of crappy and people all over the world decide to take it upon themselves to harass that person and try to ruin their life. 

• Like 3