Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Woman Falsely Accuses (and then Assaults) Teen for Stealing her iPhone - Later Discovers She Left It in an Uber


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

OK I'll drop this shtick but only because no one but me is laughing.

Your humor seems kind of dim.  Might I suggest you adopt a Dennis Miller avatar? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"CNN requested a copy of the hotel's surveillance footage, but NYPD's Chief of Detectives William Belichick indicated that the video evidence had been destroyed."

The hotel employee should have announced that he would break the phone in half and give part of it to each claimant. The one who agreed to let the other person take it whole is its true owner.

Yeah, I dont see someone mentally ill. I see someone spoiled, immature and self absorbed who thinks the world owes her something. I certainly understand that mental illness is a major (and vastly

3 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

Seems a bit racist too, considering it's used specifically for white women.  Had this woman been black would we be doing this?

If you can provide me with an un-edited video of a black woman accusing a white teen of stealing her phone and then assaulting that child even though her phone was left in an UBER??????

$100 to the charity of your choice.  You have 24 hours to do this.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

If you can provide me with an un-edited video of a black woman accusing a white teen of stealing her phone and then assaulting that child even though her phone was left in an UBER??????

$100 to the charity of your choice.  You have 24 hours to do this.  

 

You know what? I'm am idiot.  Spit the bit out. Good cast.

 

May you all have a nice New Year.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2020 at 8:18 PM, parasaurolophus said:
On 12/30/2020 at 7:26 PM, JAA said:

Maybe you have never been in a situation with someone triggered?  Maybe you are not used to dealing with people who are imbalanced?  MMQB here is not appropriate IMHO.

If you read the articles, the police are now looking at her for assault due to the security camera footage in the hotel.

It wasn’t so long ago some crazy lady in the park called 911 saying a black man was assaulting her.  We are not that far off here.

What about the woman blocking the black man from entering his own apartment building?  Could he of deescalated the situation by showing her mail and a photo ID?  How about instead you lead a life where you have to prove your worth wherever you go?

You potsed he could be dead. I thought we were to the bs hypothetical part of the thread. You were actually being serious

Your empathy precedes you.  Have a great New Year

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2020 at 11:25 PM, parasaurolophus said:
On 12/30/2020 at 9:31 PM, gianmarco said:

The family of Tamir Rice doesn't find it as funny, I would imagine.

Apples to oranges. 

The scenario was if the dad wasnt there. First we started with some weird alternate universe where they would have put him on Rikers. Then we escalated to he could be dead. 

The police hadnt even been called yet and werent called until after the fact, on the woman.

If the woman or the manager got a hold of the phone they certainly would have never been called on the child, since obviously they would have learned it wasnt her phone. 

So its a really weird leap to think that somehow the dad prevented such a tragedy. 

I realize you were just virtue signaling and probably already knew this, but just in case

I would love to hear why it’s apples to oranges. Please give that a go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DallasDMac said:
On 12/30/2020 at 3:10 PM, Doug B said:

Disclosure: Both parties have brought up 'assault'. Harrold's dad said the lady tackled her son -- yet to me, the video taken doesn't support that. Maybe it happened after the video ended? By the same token, now the lady told CNN that she was assaulted. Unless hotel footage is revealed, I guess we'll never know.

"NYPD's chief of detectives Rodney Harrison released surveillance footage of the incident, showing the unidentified woman chasing after Keyon Harrold Jr. in the lobby of the Arlo Hotel in Manhattan on Saturday. The video shows the woman wrapping her arms around him before bringing him to the floor. Police also released a photo of her without a facemask

Now imagine she was a gun owner 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:
21 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

"NYPD's chief of detectives Rodney Harrison released surveillance footage of the incident, showing the unidentified woman chasing after Keyon Harrold Jr. in the lobby of the Arlo Hotel in Manhattan on Saturday. The video shows the woman wrapping her arms around him before bringing him to the floor. Police also released a photo of her without a facemask. "

"CNN requested a copy of the hotel's surveillance footage, but NYPD's Chief of Detectives William Belichick indicated that the video evidence had been destroyed

This can’t be real

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sea Duck said:

There are two issues here. The first issue is whether she should be publicly outed despite the fact that she hasn't been charged with a crime, and none of the people involved (herself, the boy, his father, or anyone at the hotel) has named her.

My opinion is that NO ONE should be outed under those circumstances. That's trashy sensationalism.

The second issue is whether she should be charged with a crime. That's up to the victim and the police to decide.

*IF* she gets charged with a crime, then it would be fair game to name her.

But we are good with outing a whistleblower who happens to be a career public servant?

This can’t be our reality

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

No, it was my attempt at a joke.

Hahaha I completely missed on the BB reference. Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr. Ham said:

Exactly this.

She clearly went bananas, and deserves no sympathy, but as one who has spent a lot of time in NYC, I do have some empathy.

When I’m in NY, I’m stuck in a setting where I assume everyone is trying to rip me off. So if were suddenly missing something of value, I’d also get a rush of adrenaline and probably think I had a few seconds to recover it. If, rightly or wrongly, I thought that thing was still feet away, I’d probably be pretty amped.

Now that kid and his dad owed this woman nothing. And I understand why they therefore did not do this—but had they understood this woman’s mindset, it would have been easy to show her the unlock screen, as a courtesy—even if she didn’t deserve it. As a white man, I don’t have to carry the weight of how someone might come to suspect me, but if they did I would flash the screen. In this case, that action would have not only defused, but sent this maniac spinning off in another direction.

She would have believed him if he showed the lock screen--I am not buying this. You can change a lock screen in 10 seconds. To understand her mindset and to havve her claim make any sense whatsoever, we would have to believe this kid was walking around with an extra Iphone cover in his pocket just hoping to find somebody with the exact make and model of her phone so he could pull off this great crime. She approaches the kid and tells him to take the cover off--so she literally believes this is what the kid did. Now mind you, this is after she already confronted another person in the lobby and went after their phone. The demographics of that person haven't been disclosed. The bottom line is this lady was mentally unstable and attacked a child. She should be charged with assault and not knowing New York law, there could easily be some kind of enhancer for this assault being on a child. 

Seeing those new videos, this father showed incredible restraint in this instance. I am not so sure I could have if I were in his shoes. 

Edited by Courtjester
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2021 at 11:50 AM, Mr. Ham said:

Exactly this.

She clearly went bananas, and deserves no sympathy, but as one who has spent a lot of time in NYC, I do have some empathy.

When I’m in NY, I’m stuck in a setting where I assume everyone is trying to rip me off. So if were suddenly missing something of value, I’d also get a rush of adrenaline and probably think I had a few seconds to recover it. If, rightly or wrongly, I thought that thing was still feet away, I’d probably be pretty amped.

Now that kid and his dad owed this woman nothing. And I understand why they therefore did not do this—but had they understood this woman’s mindset, it would have been easy to show her the unlock screen, as a courtesy—even if she didn’t deserve it. As a white man, I don’t have to carry the weight of how someone might come to suspect me, but if they did I would flash the screen. In this case, that action would have not only defused, but sent this maniac spinning off in another direction.

:confused:

Why would you think that? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

:confused:

Why would you think that? 

Ham called the FBI on @Otis

Its not personal, the list of people Ham thinks are not trying to rip him off number in the very low single digits.

  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He did call the FBI on me after 9/11.  True story.

And I still have a pack of those California Hold ‘Em cards somewhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Otis said:

He did call the FBI on me after 9/11.  True story.

And I still have a pack of those California Hold ‘Em cards somewhere. 

I’ve still have a deck as well.  :hifive:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Can we go back to gently poking fun at California Hold'em?

We can even bring dentist into the conversation about variance. Obviously dentist talk also brings other steaming hot topics to the forefront as well. 

That seems way more fun, considering otis just returned i believe, lets ease him back. 

  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Interesting read. It seems she's not living her best life right now 

Quote

Ghatan is also representing Ponsetto in a Beverly Hills case in which a hearing is scheduled later this month. The 22-year-old was arrested in February 2020 and charged with battery and public intoxication alongside her mother Nicole Ponsetto, according to documents obtained by NBC LA and NBC News.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Interesting read. It seems she's not living her best life right now

I think you know I'm not picking on you GB (just replying to you) but this thread and many like it end up having a footnote that the person is not mentally healthy.  We are all doing ourselves a huge disservice by using all of these multitudes of examples of "bad people I don't agree with" as representative of the other side of the political aisle or the other races/nationalities or other religions.  Crazy/mentally unstable people do crazy things. 

I realize what I'm saying here may not apply to this lady - she may be a huge racist and showed it for the world to see.  She may also be a nut who can't live without iPhone and would have tackled Mother Teresa to get it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AAABatteries said:

I think you know I'm not picking on you GB (just replying to you) but this thread and many like it end up having a footnote that the person is not mentally healthy.  We are all doing ourselves a huge disservice by using all of these multitudes of examples of "bad people I don't agree with" as representative of the other side of the political aisle or the other races/nationalities or other religions.  Crazy/mentally unstable people do crazy things. 

I realize what I'm saying here may not apply to this lady - she may be a huge racist and showed it for the world to see.  She may also be a nut who can't live without iPhone and would have tackled Mother Teresa to get it.

I hear you and thank you for the thoughtful response. I think it's terrible that those who truly need help cannot get it for various reasons while some people use mental illness as an illegitimate excuse for bad behavior. It's grown into an incredibly gray area and detrimental to all that truly need help.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

I hear you and thank you for the thoughtful response. I think it's terrible that those who truly need help cannot get it for various reasons while some people use mental illness as an illegitimate excuse for bad behavior. It's grown into an incredibly gray area and detrimental to all that truly need help.

This one hits close to home for me.  I have a sister who has some mental issues - not too severe but bad enough where she's made a lot of poor life choices.  She's been medicated for years - they had her on bi-polar meds for years and then recently was diagnosed with ADHD and put on something new.  It's been remarkable how much it has changed her.  She seems rationale and calm whereas for years she was aggressive and angry.  This is just one example and there's millions of people like her out there.  Her example is on the minor end of things - imagine how many legitimately crazy people are walking around un-medicated and without help.  Then they go out and do something crazy - and dopes like us spend an inordinate amount of time arguing what this crazy person did and whether is was racist and whether politicians are to blame - was this person a white supremicist?  Do they go to church?  Are they a Patriots fan?  No - they are just a crazy person and you should chalk up their actions to being crazy - and try to get them help.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Courtjester said:

The lady that was arrested identifies as Puerto Rican/Vietnamese. 

And either way, can we not defend her in here in any fashion? In general, I think a lot of these things are overblown and people deserve at least a tiny bit of benefit. Not this one though. She has zero remorse and thinks that she did nothing wrong

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I dont see someone mentally ill. I see someone spoiled, immature and self absorbed who thinks the world owes her something.

I certainly understand that mental illness is a major (and vastly under-treated) problem. I dont want it to become a potential excuse anytime anyone acts wrong.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TLEF316 said:

Yeah, I dont see someone mentally ill. I see someone spoiled, immature and self absorbed who thinks the world owes her something.

I certainly understand that mental illness is a major (and vastly under-treated) problem. I dont want it to become a potential excuse anytime anyone acts wrong.

 

She showed no remorse and didn’t take any responsibility for assaulting a teenager.

I agree she comes across as young, spoiled, immature and self absorbed, not mentally ill  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2021 at 3:31 PM, the moops said:

And either way, can we not defend her in here in any fashion? In general, I think a lot of these things are overblown and people deserve at least a tiny bit of benefit. Not this one though. She has zero remorse and thinks that she did nothing wrong

I am on board with this. Specifically, she didn’t treat all people exiting the hotel the same way she treated the 14yo black kid (her words ‘man’).

I would encourage folks to watch the interview. I hope she gets the social (or medical) help she needs. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...