What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you weigh between 210 and 250 lbs and want to lose weight this year? (1 Viewer)

bostonfred

Footballguy
If you want to lose 2lbs per week, consider

If you weigh 250 lbs, 228 by 2/28 is about 2lbs per week

If you weigh 240 lbs, 220 by 2/20 is about 2lbs per week

If you weigh 230 lbs, 214 by 2/14 is about 2lbs per week

If you weigh 220 lbs, 209 by 2/09 is about 2lbs per week

If you weigh 215 lbs, 205 by 2/05 is about 2lbs per week

If you weigh 210 lbs, 201 by 2/01 is about 2lbs per week

If you think arbitrary or symbolic goals aren't important, please take that to another thread. 

If you think new year's resolutions are dumb or have some edgy opinion about how you should start habits the whole year not just on new years, please know that I know that you not only had this great observation but were the first to express it so eloquently and don't bother posting it anywhere. 

This is just an idea for the guys who are looking for a little motivation and need help setting a short term goal.  

Note - I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning any diet or exercise program.  

This sounds like the intro to a late night infomercial.   :lmao:

My problem has always been keeping weight off.  I have no doubt that I could hit any goal weight I pick by summer.  Fred, tell me how to keep it off.

My problem has always been keeping weight off.  I have no doubt that I could hit any goal weight I pick by summer.  Fred, tell me how to keep it off.
That's because diets don't work.  Lifestyle changes do.  Long term changes to how and what you eat lead to permanent weight loss. 

From your previous posts on the topic I think the issue is that you haven’t set a clear line when you've put too much weight back on.  

When you hit your goal weight - let's call it 175 - set a range. Call it 185.  Let yourself eat what you want but when you hit 185, you need to doet all the way down to 175.  Commit to that and make sure your wife/SO knows it or whoever your accountability partner is.  You can pay weight watchers to be that accountability partner if you don't have one of your own. 

When you inevitably hit 185, diet back down to 175. It should take about a month, give or take.  That's not horrible but it's a pain in the ###.  The next time you hit 185, do the same thing. It's important to actually do this once or twice. 

The next time your weight hits 182 you'll be like oh no. If i hit 185 I'll have to do that again. 182 becomes the canary in the coal mine. You might not diet back down all the way to 175, but you'll be more serious about avoiding 185 if you know you'll be stuck doing a month of dieting to get back to it. 

I don't know what the low and high end of your range should be but it seeme like you have set a really wide range for yourself and then get frustrated when you blow past it and have to start again. But you're also capable of setting a goal and reaching it. So be realistic that you'll fluctuate and cheat and just set a process in place that deals with it. 

Is this a good place to discuss Metabolic Syndrome?  I've got it and I've avoided my annual  physical for two years now because, of course.  I'll likely focus on the waistline as much as the weight loss, if not more.

From your previous posts on the topic I think the issue is that you haven’t set a clear line when you've put too much weight back on.  

When you hit your goal weight - let's call it 175 - set a range. Call it 185.  Let yourself eat what you want but when you hit 185, you need to doet all the way down to 175.  Commit to that and make sure your wife/SO knows it or whoever your accountability partner is.  You can pay weight watchers to be that accountability partner if you don't have one of your own. 

When you inevitably hit 185, diet back down to 175. It should take about a month, give or take.  That's not horrible but it's a pain in the ###.  The next time you hit 185, do the same thing. It's important to actually do this once or twice. 

The next time your weight hits 182 you'll be like oh no. If i hit 185 I'll have to do that again. 182 becomes the canary in the coal mine. You might not diet back down all the way to 175, but you'll be more serious about avoiding 185 if you know you'll be stuck doing a month of dieting to get back to it. 

I don't know what the low and high end of your range should be but it seeme like you have set a really wide range for yourself and then get frustrated when you blow past it and have to start again. But you're also capable of setting a goal and reaching it. So be realistic that you'll fluctuate and cheat and just set a process in place that deals with it. 
Good advice, but I'd make the range less.    Get to your ideal weight, then weigh yourself every morning when you wake up.  If you are under, then enjoy the day.  If you are at 2lbs over, then commit to the next 3 days to eating better to get back to ideal weight.   Rinse and repeat.  For me, it's just so much easier and attainable to work off this small increment than it is to try and shed 10+lbs.   

Good advice, but I'd make the range less.    Get to your ideal weight, then weigh yourself every morning when you wake up.  If you are under, then enjoy the day.  If you are at 2lbs over, then commit to the next 3 days to eating better to get back to ideal weight.   Rinse and repeat.  For me, it's just so much easier and attainable to work off this small increment than it is to try and shed 10+lbs.   
Id suggest against this daily thing...weight fluctuates way to much even hour to hour at times.

Weight once a week...same time, same situation each week.  For me (when I was dropping LBs and now maintaining), its Sunday Morning, right as I get up.  I use the bathroom, and weigh.  That way its more of an equal thing and takes out the fluctuations as much as possible.

Enjoying a day because your weight is down...leads to even more spikes and valleys IMO.

One of the easiest things I did...was actually take the time to document everything I eat and drink.  Yes, keep a log, a spreadsheet, use one of the tracking apps.  Anything you can.  Once you see on paper or a screen what you are eating all day...you can easily see the spikes and where you are going wrong.  With the same tools, track your weight each week.  Track what exercise you might do.  Track calories or whatever metric you want.  I used calories as they were the easiest to figure out or estimate.  Im not at all saying just count calories...because not all calories are equal...but a simplistic view to get control of what you are eating is a good thing.

Like others have said...diets don't work...because when people reach a goal, they typically go back to their old way of doing things and put the weight right back on like they did in the past.  

Lifestyle change.  Less portions, less soda, less beer, and workout consistently.  That will keep you at your weight.

I lost about 60 lbs about 10 years ago and was doing great keeping it off.........until I tore my achilles playing basketball.   Once I did that and wasn't able to do anything for four months I lost my workout habit and slowly have put it all back on.   I just haven't been motivated enough to start it all over.  Maybe someday.  Hahha

Id suggest against this daily thing...weight fluctuates way to much even hour to hour at times.

Weight once a week...same time, same situation each week.  For me (when I was dropping LBs and now maintaining), its Sunday Morning, right as I get up.  I use the bathroom, and weigh.  That way its more of an equal thing and takes out the fluctuations as much as possible.

Enjoying a day because your weight is down...leads to even more spikes and valleys IMO.

One of the easiest things I did...was actually take the time to document everything I eat and drink.  Yes, keep a log, a spreadsheet, use one of the tracking apps.  Anything you can.  Once you see on paper or a screen what you are eating all day...you can easily see the spikes and where you are going wrong.  With the same tools, track your weight each week.  Track what exercise you might do.  Track calories or whatever metric you want.  I used calories as they were the easiest to figure out or estimate.  Im not at all saying just count calories...because not all calories are equal...but a simplistic view to get control of what you are eating is a good thing.

Like others have said...diets don't work...because when people reach a goal, they typically go back to their old way of doing things and put the weight right back on like they did in the past.  
Six-Minute Abs

I would push back here.  Weight measurements taken daily provided that you:

• Had a decent size poop the prior day
  • Was reasonably hydrated consistently the prior 24hrs
  • Emptied bladder prior
Should follow a trendline quite well and can be used for weight tracking if not for the raw number then a 7 Day MA.  If you did not poop the prior day then skip that day.  If you drank vodka sodas the night before, skip.  

The controversy does come in where there are psychological hurdles that are encountered here.  In some situations you can say only review these numbers weekly, and put some electrical tape over the scale and export it (fitbit does this well, for one).  This will depend on your personal goals/objectives and how you view your progress.  

Also, I like weighing in every day. Makes me think about it when I'm thinking about shoveling some cookies in my mouth. Hasn't worked as much lately bit I'm also not stepping on there everyday either. 

Lifestyle change.  Less portions, less soda, less beer, and workout consistently.  That will keep you at your weight.

I lost about 60 lbs about 10 years ago and was doing great keeping it off.........until I tore my achilles playing basketball.   Once I did that and wasn't able to do anything for four months I lost my workout habit and slowly have put it all back on.   I just haven't been motivated enough to start it all over.  Maybe someday.  Hahha
I'll say that I was able to stabilize my weight for a decade plus with just balanced eating habits and no specific exercise, other than 30 +/-minutes on a bike commuting to/from work (not racing, easy riding on city stop and go streets) and city walking. (eta: I admit that that activity is more than nothing and probably helps).

I don't think I have any kind of unusual metabolism. my diet through the day is typically:

Breakfast- single serve greek yogurt, plain with a tiny bit of granola and fresh fruit or raspberry/mixed berry. coffee, water (I'm drinking water through the day).

snack (around 10-11)- handful of almonds or other unsalted nuts, banana.

lunch- mixed salad with protein/chicken and other fresh ingredients (from local takeout spots like JustSalad or Pret a Manger). 1x cookie (Tate's bakeshop) for desert. 

snack (around 3)- more nuts. 2nd cup of coffee.

dinner- completely varied and usually portioned too big. usually a protein, some carbs/starch and some veggies. I don't eat red meat, but I do eat fish and fowl. desert of anything from brownies, cookies, ice-cream, popcorn. I'll stress-eat desert- especially ice-cream- at night too much (can devour a pint without blinking), but otherwise have kept a balance to my daily eating habits. 

I don't really drink- maybe one beer/wine/cocktail per week. I also don't drink much of anything besides water and 2-3 cups of coffee per day. all of this is not kept as as a hard and fast rule- I'll have a soda or juice here, more alcohol sometimes, and will eat pork when I occasionally want (usually bacon or carnitas). 

I've never felt like I've been dieting. Never felt like I've been hungry or craving or deprived of anything I want to eat. it all feels "healthy" to me, and all of that kept me plateaued for 10+ years at about 15lbs heavier than my "fitter" self that I've seen accomplished through exercise along with the diet.

anyways- I offer all of that as a way of providing support to you guys looking to drop or maintain weight; if it can work for me, I'm sure it can work for anybody. all the best to you guys in your efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:
The suggestion above about writing down everything you eat is a good one, it might shock you what you put into your mouth.  Wish I'd been tuned in to that idea years ago.  I thought about it one day recently and looked it up.  One of my biggest indulgences was candy - any kinds really but my favorite is Lemonheads.  Each Lemonhead has 7 grams of sugar in it.  I'd take a bag to work and toss them down all day and then into the evening when I got home.  I didn't keep count but if someone told me I ate 30 a day that wouldn't shock me - and that's over TWO HUNDRED GRAMS OF SUGAR in one day.  Amazingly my triglicyrides and A1C have always been normal so I was totally out of touch with how abnormal my intake really was.

I've lost 41.6 pounds since 7/13 and I weigh in every day.  You just need to accept that there's a lot of fluctuation and as long as the big picture stuff is moving in the right direction that's what counts.  Daily weigh-ins really keep my competitiveness going - "I can't eat that cookie, I gained .4 pounds today I need to get that back". My biggest daily gain has been 2.0 pounds and my largest loss was -2.2 pounds but 66.27% of days are under a pound either way.  It really enforces that it's a marathon, not a sprint and that you can't take your foot off the pedal.  I don't do "cheat days" because it takes too damn long to get 1.6 pounds back. 

I would push back here.  Weight measurements taken daily provided that you:

• Had a decent size poop the prior day
  • Was reasonably hydrated consistently the prior 24hrs
  • Emptied bladder prior
Should follow a trendline quite well and can be used for weight tracking if not for the raw number then a 7 Day MA.  If you did not poop the prior day then skip that day.  If you drank vodka sodas the night before, skip.  

The controversy does come in where there are psychological hurdles that are encountered here.  In some situations you can say only review these numbers weekly, and put some electrical tape over the scale and export it (fitbit does this well, for one).  This will depend on your personal goals/objectives and how you view your progress.  
What about the vodka sodas now?

I've lost 41.6 pounds since 7/13 and I weigh in every day...

I don't do "cheat days" because it takes too damn long to get 1.6 pounds back. 
That's awesome very happy for you.

But

Talk to your doctor about losing that much at once.  I dont know your start weight but ten percent is the rule of thumb I've heard for switching from cutting to bulking (working out to rebuild some of the muscle you lost and reshape your body) plus resetting your metabolism for a little bit.  You're also approaching the amount of weight loss where you get loose skin that never really goes away.  If you pause and give your skin time to reshape to your new body, that might be avoidable, but once it happens it seems like surgery is the only option. i can't speak to the science behind any of this, but I would encourage reading up on it and talking to a professional. 

But

Talk to your doctor about losing that much at once.  I dont know your start weight but ten percent is the rule of thumb I've heard for switching from cutting to bulking (working out to rebuild some of the muscle you lost and reshape your body) plus resetting your metabolism for a little bit.  You're also approaching the amount of weight loss where you get loose skin that never really goes away.  If you pause and give your skin time to reshape to your new body, that might be avoidable, but once it happens it seems like surgery is the only option. i can't speak to the science behind any of this, but I would encourage reading up on it and talking to a professional. 
BnB and I both lost over 50 pounds in the 2017 fatballguy challenge- personally I didn’t experience the excess skin.  I was doing Keto and IF.

ETA - that was 3 months

I really like this.  I think this may be what I have to do the next 4-5 years.

I’m in. Weighed in at 205. That’s below your cutoff but whatever. MyFitnessPal said I have officially lost 25 pounds now though. I think that was from 5-8 years ago though. 
My plan this go round is to get off sweet tea on Jan 1. Been off coke since June. Then no candy at all through lent. See where I am Easter morning and make a new plan. 

I’m in. Weighed in at 205. That’s below your cutoff but whatever. MyFitnessPal said I have officially lost 25 pounds now though. I think that was from 5-8 years ago though. 
My plan this go round is to get off sweet tea on Jan 1. Been off coke since June. Then no candy at all through lent. See where I am Easter morning and make a new plan. 
Hmmm I thought coke helped you lose weight

But

40 pounds in 5 months doesn't seem unhealthy 

One word: Consistency

Most people who need to lose weight do not really know how difficult it is to keep it off.   I have been training since I was 17.  Was into big time weights and bodybuilding in my 20s and early 30s.  

At 6-1 My weight was always around 215-220 range and in shape.  Then it was 218,222,225,228, then 7-8 years ago on News Year Day I got on the scale and was 231.  I was not fat as I was still lifting 4-5 days a week but I was bulky and in my 40s did not want to look like a middle linebacker. Would rather look like a ripped safety.

That day I changed everything.  I still lifted in the morning but every night I walked for an hour.  Did not change my diet too much still high protein but I cut back on huge carb meals.  Pizza and spaghetti once a month at most.  If I have a baked potato it would be a half. Stuff like that. nothing real crazy.

After 2 months I have only lost 3-4 lbs but I stayed on the walking every day.   When I say walking I was walking as fast as I could without running..a little over 15 minute miles.

After 4 months I was down 7-8 lbs.   By summer I was around 217 and this was without really trying hard.  By the next New Year I was 212.  By the next summer I was 205 and have stayed between 205-208 since.  I wear a 32-34 pant size now when it when a 36-34 was tight before.

The guys that I know that have gone zero carb and lost 30-40 lbs fast have always rebounded to the same or heavier than they were before.

Just be active somehow everyday..it gets to be a routine and you get pissed when you miss a day.

I’m in.

I am doing vegan /80% raw vegan with 3-day stretches of juice cleanses. Did that from November 1 until just before Christmas and went off the rails the week of Christmas. Body felt amazing, and it’s a lot of work but a sustainable eating plan for me. 

Start back up Jan 6th, after a week on the rugged Lost Coast, with lots of beer and steak and seafood, hopefully, lots of Dungeness crab with drawn butter.

Need to start an exercise program back up, too. I have Convict Conditioning for body weight exercises, will start that at low levels and walking using Couch to 5k app. want to get to 185 this year, from 230

What do you want to know?
Upon further review, I think my question was more rhetorical than literal. There's not a lot to "know" here, rather I simply aim to uncheck boxes.  To that end, and despite the thread title, I'll primarily focus on my waistline rather than weight, with an expectation that if I reduce my waist I will indeed begin unchecking those other boxes.

If you have anything to share, I'm all ears, but honestly the truth of the matter is it's not knowledge we lack.  What we lack (what I lack!) are good habits.

I’m in.

I am doing vegan /80% raw vegan with 3-day stretches of juice cleanses. Did that from November 1 until just before Christmas and went off the rails the week of Christmas. Body felt amazing, and it’s a lot of work but a sustainable eating plan for me. 

Start back up Jan 6th, after a week on the rugged Lost Coast, with lots of beer and steak and seafood, hopefully, lots of Dungeness crab with drawn butter.

Need to start an exercise program back up, too. I have Convict Conditioning for body weight exercises, will start that at low levels and walking using Couch to 5k app. want to get to 185 this year, from 230
We have similar goals.  I think I stated that I weighed 210 yesterday, but let's assume I'll hit 215 come January 1st.  My goal lis to hit 175 (by weigh of shedding 50 lbs of fat while adding 10 lbs of lean mass). Also, my other stated goal is to shrink the waistline a whopping 10 inches.

i'm giving this a go myself. Quarantining for 9 months added more poudnds to my belly then i wanted. 

So far i am going with a 16/8 fasting and got a rowing maching i hope to use for more than a week.

any quick advice with any of this would be great

i'm giving this a go myself. Quarantining for 9 months added more poudnds to my belly then i wanted. 

So far i am going with a 16/8 fasting and got a rowing maching i hope to use for more than a week.

any quick advice with any of this would be great
Fasting is great for some people but you still need to eat reasonable portions and get your fiber and protein and some vegetables 

Be careful with your new rower, they're awesome but try to use good form. Watch a video and try to emulate the 4 steps. Don't let your knees bend too deeply and try to keep your core and back engaged.  Your hands might get number after a few minutes it's not usually a big deal.  Check in to the @Otis fad diet thread and row with @eaganwildcats and me to a lesser extent.  A few more rowers this year will be good for discussion 

Fasting is great for some people but you still need to eat reasonable portions and get your fiber and protein and some vegetables 

Be careful with your new rower, they're awesome but try to use good form. Watch a video and try to emulate the 4 steps. Don't let your knees bend too deeply and try to keep your core and back engaged.  Your hands might get number after a few minutes it's not usually a big deal.  Check in to the @Otis fad diet thread and row with @eaganwildcats and me to a lesser extent.  A few more rowers this year will be good for discussion 
what is a good amount of time to use the rower for? i did a few videos and some are set at 15 minutes. one i was doing was 2 minutes regular stroke with 1 minute sprints which seemed to work pretty well. i need to get my bike fixed and was planning on starting to use that again too

what is a good amount of time to use the rower for? i did a few videos and some are set at 15 minutes. one i was doing was 2 minutes regular stroke with 1 minute sprints which seemed to work pretty well. i need to get my bike fixed and was planning on starting to use that again too
I had the best results doing 10K rows which took me 40-45 minutes if I kept my heart rate around 150ish. That gets pretty boring though, so I changed to doing a 5K row (20ish minutes) then push-ups / yoga / something else for awhile. That also worked pretty well. Now I am fat and not doing much, but am ready to lose some LBs in the new year. 

I had the best results doing 10K rows which took me 40-45 minutes if I kept my heart rate around 150ish. That gets pretty boring though, so I changed to doing a 5K row (20ish minutes) then push-ups / yoga / something else for awhile. That also worked pretty well. Now I am fat and not doing much, but am ready to lose some LBs in the new year. 
thanks. looks like i need to work on my rowing, i did about 25 minutes and was at count of 700. I like @bostonfred idea of maybe starting a thread about it. would be good to track and see how it goes.

and dfinitely agree it is pretty boring. i have it set up in a room with a TV so watch some show while it is on

thanks. looks like i need to work on my rowing, i did about 25 minutes and was at count of 700. I like @bostonfred idea of maybe starting a thread about it. would be good to track and see how it goes.

and dfinitely agree it is pretty boring. i have it set up in a room with a TV so watch some show while it is on
We have like 4 fat/excercise threads now :)

Zero chance I'm doing 45 minutes of anything at 150 bpm heart rate. Are you sure that's right?  I remember you and otis doing MAF pace which is like 135 bpm for most of us, and then you started the asensei stuff which I can't do because I don't have a concept2.  

Agree with @modogg that a TV helps.  I have a magnetic resistance rower which is super quiet so I can watch tv without headphones even, and I know I keep mentioning this in different posts but it made a huge difference when I started limiting my tv time to when I'm working out.

I also have a treadmill and if you have both they are awesome for cross training because they work different muscles.  Sometimes I will watch a whole episode of a show while I row and another while I run/walk on the treadmill. I might do 30 minutes rowing at easy pace, 20 running at a fast (for me) pace and 30 walking. 

We have like 4 fat/excercise threads now :)
This one will die or be merged.  I only started a new one to get people interested around resolution time.  I didn't plan on the lose 7 or 8 lbs thread being permanent either but I might retitle it because it seems to have some regular posters so maybe I'll rename it. 

This one will die or be merged.  I only started a new one to get people interested around resolution time.  I didn't plan on the lose 7 or 8 lbs thread being permanent either but I might retitle it because it seems to have some regular posters so maybe I'll rename it. 
Several of us in that thread are using it as our New Years to Valentine's Day 10 pound thread. 

Zero chance I'm doing 45 minutes of anything at 150 bpm heart rate. Are you sure that's right?  I remember you and otis doing MAF pace which is like 135 bpm for most of us, and then you started the asensei stuff which I can't do because I don't have a concept2.  

Agree with @modogg that a TV helps.  I have a magnetic resistance rower which is super quiet so I can watch tv without headphones even, and I know I keep mentioning this in different posts but it made a huge difference when I started limiting my tv time to when I'm working out.

I also have a treadmill and if you have both they are awesome for cross training because they work different muscles.  Sometimes I will watch a whole episode of a show while I row and another while I run/walk on the treadmill. I might do 30 minutes rowing at easy pace, 20 running at a fast (for me) pace and 30 walking. 
You do not need to row for that long at that intensity. Eagan is a level above most of us. I was doing 45-70 minute rows at MAF levels, which for me meant keeping my HR at 135-145 BPM. Awesome workout, sweat like crazy, burn a ton of calories, worked my heart snd lungs and lots of muscles, and yet didn’t feel like it was killing me. That to me is the perfect workout. I enjoyed those a lot more than the 20 minute sprint rows, which I just found brutal, could barely breathe and heart jumping out of my chest. I also think the former is a better workout. And I ain’t about to enter a competition anytime soon, so speed doesn’t really do much for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread