What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rank the Star Wars Installments (1 Viewer)

TripItUp

Footballguy
Just rank what you have seen(not interested in a what we should be ranking debate)

Here are mine!

1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. Rogue One
  3. The Mandalorian (series 1 and 2)
  4. A New Hope
  5. Return of the Jedi
  6. The Phantom Menace
  7. Revenge of the Sith
  8. The Force Awakens
  9. The Rise of Skywalker
  10. Attack of the Clones
  11. Solo
  12. The Last Jedi

Last edited by a moderator:
My number one will always be A New Hope.

Nothing I have seen in a movie theater before or since captured me the way that movie did.  None of the rest exists without that movie. That movie changed so many people’s lives for the good, in my opinion.

And it’s brought a ton of people from all walks of lives together over the years.  The best.

1. Revenge Of The Sith

2. Empire

3. Rogue One

4. Return of the Jedi

5. A New Hope

6. Mandalorian 

7. Force Awakens

8. Rise Of Skywalker 

9. Solo

10. A Phantom Menace

11. Attack Of The Clones

12. Last Jedi

Off the top of my head of what I would grab for if I had to watch one tonight:

1.  Empire

2.  Rogue One

3.  A New Hope

4.  Return of the Jedi

5.  Force Awakens

.... a bit of a gap

6.  Last Jedi

7.  Revenge of the Sith

.....pretty big gap

8.  Phantom Menace

9.   Rise of Skywalker

....another gap

10  Mandalorian

11  Attack of the Clones

12  Solo

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Return of the Jedi

Mandalorian

Rogue One

Phantom Menace

Revenge of the Sith

Force Awakens

Attack of the Clones

------Massive gap-------

Solo

Rise of Skywalker

Last Jedi

Would watch anytime:
- A New Hope

- Empire

- Rogue One

- Return of the Jedi

- Mando

large gap: would maybe watch a few parts of again if I stumble across it on tv

- Solo

- Last Jedi

massive gap: would have to pay me to watch ever again 

- Force A-remake

- Rise of Slapped Together Ending

- Attack of the Boredom

- Revenge of the Shist

another big gap: Darth Maul duel is the only part worth ever mentioning

- Phantom craptastic

1. The Mandalorian 

2. Empire 

3. New Hope 

4. Force Awakens 

5. Return of the Jedi 

6. Rogue One 

7. Last Jedi 

8. Clone Wars

9. Rise of Skywalker 

10. Rebels ( last season was great but too much fluff)

11. Solo 

12. Revenge of the Sith 

13.  Phantom Menace 

14. Attack of the Clones 

AoTC is the only thing I wouldn’t sit through again, except when I watch them with my son the first time. 

I think I just give more points than most that it at least tried a couple different things, unlike the other 2 in that trilogy.  
It’s not a good movie but it does have the best action set pieces of those 3 by far. I’d watch the Snoke throne room fight and the rebel base assault again. Even if the base assault is just a recycle of Hoth.

1. A New Hope

2. Empire Strikes Back

3. Rogue One

4. Return to the Jedi

5. Revenge of the Sith

6. Solo

7. The Phantom Menace

8. The Force Awakens

9. The Rise of Skywalker

10. The Last Jedi

11. Attack of the Clones

Honestly, the sequel trilogy was so bad it sucked a lot of the enjoyment out of the films I do like. It seriously diminished all of Star Wars for me.

1. A New Hope

2. Empire Strikes Back

3. Rogue One

4. Return to the Jedi

5. Revenge of the Sith

6. Solo

7. The Phantom Menace

8. The Force Awakens

9. The Rise of Skywalker

10. The Last Jedi

11. Attack of the Clones

Honestly, the sequel trilogy was so bad it sucked a lot of the enjoyment out of the films I do like. It seriously diminished all of Star Wars for me.
If you disregard them then there's no problems.

1. A New Hope

2. Empire Strikes Back

3. Rogue One

4. Return to the Jedi

5. Revenge of the Sith

6. Solo

7. The Phantom Menace

8. The Force Awakens

9. The Rise of Skywalker

10. The Last Jedi

11. Attack of the Clones
This is basically my list too. Only change I’d make is moving Rogue 1 down to #5. Figuring out which is worse between Last Jedi and Attack of the Clones is tough, but at least Last Jedi had a couple of visually cool scenes. 

if we’re adding Star Wars series to the mix, I’d put Mandalorian, Rebels, and Clone Wars in that order right after the original trilogy and above everything else. 

1. Empire Strikes Back
  2. A New Hope
  3. Return of the Jedi
  4. Mandalorian
  5. Force Awakens
  6. Rogue One
  7. Clone Wars
  8. Rise of Skywalker
  9. Last Jedi
  10. Solo
  11. Revenge of the Sith
  12. Phantom Menace
  13. Attack of the Clones
Haven't seen Rebels yet but I'm planning on watching after having recently caught up on Clone Wars.  I'd watch any of the first 9 any time.  Solo wasn't bad it was just meh.  The bottom 3 are there for a reason.

1. A New Hope

2. Empire Strikes Back

3. Rogue One

4. Return to the Jedi

5. Revenge of the Sith

6. Solo

7. The Phantom Menace

8. The Force Awakens

9. The Rise of Skywalker

10. The Last Jedi

11. Attack of the Clones

Similar, but the two spinoff films and The Mandalorian have got me psyched up for all things Star Wars again.

Just rank what you have seen(not interested in a what we should be ranking debate)

Here are mine!

1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. Rogue One
  3. The Mandalorian (series 1 and 2)
  4. A New Hope
  5. Return of the Jedi
  6. The Phantom Menace
  7. Revenge of the Sith
  8. The Force Awakens
  9. The Rise of Skywalker
  10. Attack of the Clones
  11. Solo
  12. The Last Jedi
This is pretty good and I am happy that Rogue One is so high on your list too. I loved it and felt it stood out amongst all these others and they brought in the Heavy for the supporting roles to ease some of the burden for the main actors. From Whitaker to Wen(I am one with the Force), from Mikkelsen to Mendelsohn and Grand Mof to Lord Vader this movie is loaded with a lot of bad asses in it. The soothing sound of Diego Luna's outrageous accent, a droid/robot that finally upstages and steals the spotlight from C3PO and R2D2, a female hero that doesn't flinch and has a great back story, Rogue One absolutely belongs in that very top area where you have it, I might move New Hope up into the 2 spot bt you got the bottom part right, pitiful the last couple films and Solo and I just don't know what they are doing at Disney...they've ruined it. 

If you disregard them then there's no problems.
I pretty much have. I watched TFA & TLJ twice each and TROS only once. I really have no desire to watch the latter again.

But the damage has been done. It makes the changes made to the original trilogy all that much more "maclunkey." 

And I just can't get into The Clone Wars cartoon either. I've watched about a dozen episodes and I quickly lose interest. But for these I am willing to admit that it's just because I'm too old for them.

However, I'd put The Mandalorian in at #6, ahead of Solo. Season 2 was good Star Wars for the most part.

Don’t mean to digress, but I’m thinking about seeing if my oldest daughter has interest in watching these together.  If she does, what order would you suggest I show them to her in?  

Don’t mean to digress, but I’m thinking about seeing if my oldest daughter has interest in watching these together.  If she does, what order would you suggest I show them to her in?  
I'd watch in order of theatrical release, but that's just me.

I've adjusted this a bit since Rogue One came out. I think I'd watch that right after (but not before) A New Hope. I seriously cannot recommend the sequel trilogy. But if you must watch them then I think I'd watch them in release order with the exception of putting Rogue One after A New Hope.

A New Hope

Rogue One

Empire 

Jedi

Phantom Menace

Attack (just suffer through it one time)

RotS

TFA

TLJ

Rise of the Whatever

I'd put The Mandalorian in at #6, ahead of Solo. Season 2 was good Star Wars for the most part
I actually liked Season 1 better.  The serialized western vibe really worked.  I liked the no Jedi, no Rebels, no Republic, barely any Empire, lawless outskirts thing.  Just a guy with a code trying to make his way in a dangerous world and gain some understanding of himself in the process. 

Tiers

A:

1. Empire

2.  A new hope

3.  Return of the Jedi

B:

4. Mandalorian

5. Rogue One

C.

6.  Revenge of the Sith

7.  Phantom Menace

8. Force Awakens

9.   Rise of Skywalker

10  Last Jedi

😧

11  Attack of the Clones

12  Solo

I actually liked Season 1 better.  The serialized western vibe really worked.  I liked the no Jedi, no Rebels, no Republic, barely any Empire, lawless outskirts thing.  Just a guy with a code trying to make his way in a dangerous world and gain some understanding of himself in the process. 
Completely agreed. I don't really care if there's a republic or empire but having no Jedi made it better.

I didn't hate Solo as much as some of you.  I thought it was better than PM and AotC certainly, and likely better than Rise of Skywalker. 
I get that, but it's the only movie I've only seen once. And I have no desire to watch it again. So it goes last for me.

I haven't seen Season 2 so I can't intelligently compare them, but I strongly agree with your take on Season 1.  It had a nice tone that didn't try to shoe-horn everything Star Wars in there where it didn't belong.

1. A New Hope

2. Empire Strikes Back

3. Rogue One

4. Return to the Jedi

5. Revenge of the Sith

6. Solo

7. The Phantom Menace

8. The Force Awakens

9. The Rise of Skywalker

10. The Last Jedi

11. Attack of the Clones

Honestly, the prequel trilogy was so bad it sucked a lot of the enjoyment out of the films I do like. It seriously diminished all of Star Wars for me.
Didn't touch the rankings, but this is where I differ.  Phantom was 'ok' largely saved by the Darth Maul duel, but the other two were horrifically bad and neither had a redeeming quality or single scene I thought was cool.

Force Awakens was so bad I didn't  even bother with anything subsequent.  Will watch Mandelorian with the twins as they loved Empire and Return.  

I refuse to show them anything from the early 2000s period.   I saw just enough from those to consider them Star Ishtar. 

Empire Strikes Back

New Hope

Rogue One

The Mandelorian Series (if allowed)

Last Jedi

Revenge of the Sith 

Solo

Return of the Jedi

Force Awakens

Rise of Skywalker

Phantom Menace 

Attack of the Clones

My number one will always be A New Hope.

Nothing I have seen in a movie theater before or since captured me the way that movie did.  None of the rest exists without that movie. That movie changed so many people’s lives for the good, in my opinion.

And it’s brought a ton of people from all walks of lives together over the years.  The best.
Same for me.  My mom took me to see this originally when I was 12 (summer of 77).  It was a matinee with not a lot of people in the theater.  We were slightly late as I had a doctor's appt that morning.  We came in just after Vader came aboard the original ship for the plans.  We loved it so much she insisted we stay for the next viewing just so we could see the beginning.  She knew I loved it so much we ended up watching it twice through.  

She passed away 2 years later with complications from diabetes.  That movie was one of my fondest memories with her.  I have 3 other siblings so time alone like that was a great day.  Had pizza afterwards.  Love that movie.  

I didn't care for Solo the first time. Second watch, though, I walked away saying "That really wasn't too bad."
It had more humor than most SW films.  The prequels took themselves waaaaay too seriously.  Han Solo is a comedic (but not silly) element to the original trilogy that was totally lacking in the prequels.  Solo captured part of that. 

Also the episode of The Mandalorian that Taika Waititi directed was quite funny and they brought in some good comedic actors to play bit parts.  It was fun, and SW should be fun, not serious. 

Finally, I was just talking to my wife and she noted that she enjoyed the focus on the (mostly regular) people that the Empire has oppressed. Why should we hate the Empire? Because they want order above freedom? We only see them destroy Alderaan, not any of the savage attacks and ruthless oppression of others.  In The Mandalorian, we hear some of that.  And we also see that Republic or Empire doesn't matter to those being ruled. They are just masters all the same with different names.

Star Wars (A New Hope)
The Empire Strikes Back

I've seen all of them and I'm a nerdy, techy, geek/dork guy so I am their target audience but if I'm being 100% honest with myself and everyone else, I would be just as happy if they just stopped there.  I really enjoyed The Empire Strikes Back, I thought it was excellent and almost as good as Star Wars (A New Hope) but after that one, they lost me.  So, I would sacrifice The Empire Strikes Back for just about EVERYTHING that came after that if they had just stopped at the first one that's how much I can't stand SO many of the other ones.  

I didn't care for Solo the first time. Second watch, though, I walked away saying "That really wasn't too bad."
It's not a bad movie in that it's competently made and has a decent plot. As a Han Solo origin movie, it's awful. That's why it goes so low for me. 

Star Wars (A New Hope)
The Empire Strikes Back

I've seen all of them and I'm a nerdy, techy, geek/dork guy so I am their target audience but if I'm being 100% honest with myself and everyone else, I would be just as happy if they just stopped there.  I really enjoyed The Empire Strikes Back, I thought it was excellent and almost as good as Star Wars (A New Hope) but after that one, they lost me.  So, I would sacrifice The Empire Strikes Back for just about EVERYTHING that came after that if they had just stopped at the first one that's how much I can't stand SO many of the other ones.  
This is really a pretty good take and I'm not too far from this position myself.  Episode 6 is a pretty good wrap-up to the main storyline, so I think it belongs in there.  (Remove the Ewoks, and it would be objectively good).  Everything else is so far below the standard set by the first three films that it seems wrong to rank them.

Basically, asking me to choose between Empire and New Hope is like asking me to choose which of my kids I love the most.

Asking me to rank the various prequels and sequels is like asking me whether I hate Julian Edelman or Vince Wilfolk or Gronk the most.  

New Hope

Empire

Rogue One

Return of the Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

Last Jedi

Force Awakens

Haven't seen Mandelorian but want to.  Didn't care as much for the other trilogy movies.  Haven't seen Solo.  

It had more humor than most SW films.  The prequels took themselves waaaaay too seriously.  Han Solo is a comedic (but not silly) element to the original trilogy that was totally lacking in the prequels.  Solo captured part of that. 

Also the episode of The Mandalorian that Taika Waititi directed was quite funny and they brought in some good comedic actors to play bit parts.  It was fun, and SW should be fun, not serious. 

Finally, I was just talking to my wife and she noted that she enjoyed the focus on the (mostly regular) people that the Empire has oppressed. Why should we hate the Empire? Because they want order above freedom? We only see them destroy Alderaan, not any of the savage attacks and ruthless oppression of others.  In The Mandalorian, we hear some of that.  And we also see that Republic or Empire doesn't matter to those being ruled. They are just masters all the same with different names.
Lol I think destroying an entire planet is enough reason to hate the empire. 

Star Wars (A New Hope)
The Empire Strikes Back

I don’t think some of you guys understand how old you are/sound. My mid-30s wife who never saw SW until we were dating thinks the original trilogy sucks and looks dated. She laughs every time at how stupid it looks now. But, she loved the new trilogy and Mandalorian and Rebels. Same with my 20s-ish nephew. My 10 year old nephew is obsessed with Rey and the new trilogy. They aren’t going to stop making movies just because some soon to be geezers are worried about their memories being ruined. 

Lol I think destroying an entire planet is enough reason to hate the empire. 
Of course it is.  But there's little talk of that atrocity really.  And that's the only real evil we see perpetuated by the Empire. Everything else is just war against the Rebels. 

Users who are viewing this thread