What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would You Rather? (Dynasty QB Edition) (1 Viewer)

Mitch Trubisky or Jared Goff?

• Mitch Trubisky

Votes: 32 26.0%
  • Jared Goff

Votes: 91 74.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

socrates

Footballguy
Our fantasy seasons have closed, but dynasty franchise building is year-round.

Which QB would you rather have on your dynasty team?  I thought it might be good to conduct an end-of-the-season price check.  Feel free to add your own.

Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson?

Dak Prescott or Aaron Rodgers?

Kyler Murray or Deshaun Watson?

Justin Herbert or Trevor Lawrence?

Tua Tagovailoa or Joe Burrow?

Last edited by a moderator:

Which QB would you rather have on your dynasty team?  I thought it might be good to conduct an end-of-the-season price check.  Feel free to add your own.

Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson? Lamar is still a top five guy. Mayfield is top twenty, at times.

Dak Prescott or Aaron Rodgers? Dak's younger and will be hungry. I hope he can still run, but it was a break and should heal right.

Kyler Murray or Deshaun Watson? Murray because of his running prowess. Watson is surrounded by a rebuild, sadly. This was my second-hardest choice.

Justin Herbert or Trevor Lawrence? Lawrence's upside is too great to deny. Herbert is a mini-Marino, though. This was the hardest one for me.

Mitch Trubisky or Jared Goff? Jared Goff is pretty much assured to start, Trubisky could be out on his ear. So it's minimal points vs. no points, potentially. If Trubisky were guaranteed the starting job, gotta go Trubisky in a four point passing TD league where rushing means extra.

Tua Tagovailoa or Joe Burrow? Burrow looked like twice the QB Tua has. We'll see.
Again, my opinions. I'm assuming four points for passing TDs though my league is six points for passing touchdowns. Some tight ones here because of it.

Mayfield/Jackson -- This one just seems wacky to me. My homer league is the perfect storm for Baker (OU fans and QB rushing yardage is scored the same as QB passing yardage), and I think every single person would choose Lamar.

Prescott/Rodgers -- Being ten years younger is worth a lot, injury notwithstanding. I think it would take a very specific situation (title-contender next year with decent young depth) to consider Rodgers.

Murray/Watson -- Two amazing young players, but I'd go Kyler tempered by the expectation that his rushing will be decreasing throughout the years.

Herbert/Lawrence -- Herbert was absolutely incredible as a rookie. Lawrence may perform similarly (or even better) but I'll take the bird in the hand here. No college QB is a sure thing.

Trubisky/Goff -- I'm a superflex player, so in that realm Goff is the easy choice. Taking off the superflex hat, I can maybe see an angle for Mitchell in a trad league if you have a stud starter that basically renders Goff useless.

Tagovailoa/Burrow -- Struggling to come up with a Tua narrative here. Burrow looked really good. Maybe in superflex if you're concerned that he will not be able to recover fully. Still a stretch though.

Just going with my gut.

For those picking Lawrence over Herbert it doesn't make a ton of sense to me.  I think Herbert is the 95% best case scenario for Lawrence.  I would much rather have a guy that has already done it in the NFL over a guy that isn't there yet.

Jackson>>>Mayfield, I can't really see much argument for Mayfield. Jackson has shown a far higher ceiling and floor. Now NFL wise, I think a case could be made for Mayfield, but fantasy wise, not even close. I have Jackson as QB3 in dynasty. I think people are forgetting how great he can be, which has been at times this year too, as he was the #1 fantasy QB in weeks 14-16.

Prescott>>>Rodgers, the age difference is a big deal here. Its possible Rodgers is the better QB in 2021, but even that is a maybe. Dak is younger, and has better weapons, assuming he stays in Dallas which feels like a 95% chance.

Murray>>>Watson, this is another one, where NFL wise, I'd prefer Watson, but fantasy wise, Murray's rushing is so much higher that its hard to make a case against him that isn't about durability. I never like projecting injuries, so barring that, I think Murray has a much higher ceiling, and an equal floor.

Herbert>>>Lawrence, again, I'd rather have Lawrence as an NFL QB, but he may never have the weapons that Herbert has right now. Factor in that we've seen Herbert do it on the NFL level, and I'd take Herbert.

Goff>>>Trubisky, I don't think Trubisky is an NFL starting QB, possibly as soon as next year. Goff has shown a higher ceiling and floor, and is tied to McVay. You'd like to see more consistent play from Goff, and he may simply just be an average starter, but that is more than I can say for Trubisky.

Burrow>>>Tua, Burrow was QB12 before he got hurt this season, and that was mostly without Mixon and with likely the worst version(because he'll only get better) of Higgins he'll have. I do like Tua as an underrated QB2, and he has a lot of upside, but he's got more question marks as well.

For those picking Lawrence over Herbert it doesn't make a ton of sense to me.  I think Herbert is the 95% best case scenario for Lawrence.  I would much rather have a guy that has already done it in the NFL over a guy that isn't there yet.
Lawrence's ceiling is much, much higher. His game is actually not very polished. He wins via physical traits right now. If his game gets tightened up...

Im not in Dynasty leagues, so I'm unfamiliar with the time frame here.  In three years, I would rather have Baker over Lamar.  If my team was ready to win next year, probably Lamar.  Running QB's are great short-term but age very quickly.  Its best to get the MVP season, then sell high.  Few ever evolve into Russell Wilson, i would let my competition figure that out.  In fact Lamar is one hit away from being RGIII.

Im not in Dynasty leagues, so I'm unfamiliar with the time frame here.  In three years, I would rather have Baker over Lamar.  If my team was ready to win next year, probably Lamar.  Running QB's are great short-term but age very quickly.  Its best to get the MVP season, then sell high.  Few ever evolve into Russell Wilson, i would let my competition figure that out.  In fact Lamar is one hit away from being RGIII.
I have never been sold on Lamar as a passer.  I agree with you: short-term, I take Lamar, but long-term, Baker may be a safer choice.  For now, Lamar remains a fairly safe dynasty hold; his running ability keeps his value high.  However, as you point out, all of that running exposes him to potential injuries, and a serious knee injury could be a career crusher for him.

The problem with Baker, however, is that although we have seen glimpses of him being an elite-level QB, he has not consistently performed as anything more than a fantasy QB2.  Even so, three seasons from now, I expect, like you, Baker has more value than Lamar, both in terms of NFL value and fantasy value.

I expected Lamar to run away with this in the poll, and deservedly so, but this is exactly the type of dialogue I had hoped for.  It will be fun to look back in a couple of seasons.

Goff>>>Trubisky, I don't think Trubisky is an NFL starting QB, possibly as soon as next year. Goff has shown a higher ceiling and floor, and is tied to McVay. You'd like to see more consistent play from Goff, and he may simply just be an average starter, but that is more than I can say for Trubisky.
Goff has settled in, it seems, as a reliable backup fantasy QB, who can give you QB1 numbers in a good matchup.  Still, I agree, his situation alone makes him a better/safer choice than Trubisky.  It would not surprise me, however, to see Trubisky put up better fantasy numbers than Goff next season, and this narrative would flip at that point.

What about Trubisky or Wentz?

Right now wondering if Prescott will be on the Cowboys next year and if he will be the same QB in terms of mobility?  

Before injury Burrow looked like he was going to develop into the top tier QB.  I know it is still very early but I don`t see the same in Tua.  Tua looks overmatched right now but that could change.

With rushing yards Jackson is hard to beat FF wise..yet we all know it is only a matter of time before a running QB goes down.

Goff has settled in, it seems, as a reliable backup fantasy QB, who can give you QB1 numbers in a good matchup.  Still, I agree, his situation alone makes him a better/safer choice than Trubisky.  It would not surprise me, however, to see Trubisky put up better fantasy numbers than Goff next season, and this narrative would flip at that point.

What about Trubisky or Wentz?
Probably Wentz. I just really don't think Trubisky is a starting QB in the NFL next year or beyond. Wentz is likely done in Philly, though I think the problems were a lot bigger than just him, but he's shown enough that he'll almost certainly be starting somewhere next season.

Hell, if I were Chicago, I'd rather have Wentz. I can't imagine they bring Trubisky back, unless they somehow make the playoffs and win multiple playoff games, which has almost no chance of happening.

My answer to pretty much any starting QB vs Trubisky will be the other guy. Including at least 5-6 rookie QBs. Trubisky is outside my top-30 QB's. 

Trubisky vs Wentz is a good one.  The problem with Mitch is Nagy expects him to fit his system.   I would buy low on him 

Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson?  This is an easy one.  If Jackson can ever improve his passing, he's a top 2-3 QB.

Dak Prescott or Aaron Rodgers?  I would take Rodgers for 2021, but Prescott being much younger is the key.

Kyler Murray or Deshaun Watson?   Like both of these options, but Murray gets more yards rushing which puts him over the top.

Justin Herbert or Trevor Lawrence?  This one was the toughest of these comparisons.  I just think Lawrence will be special in the NFL.  Wouldn't fault anyone with going with Herbert.

Mitch Trubisky or Jared Goff?   Goff is just an average NFL QB at best and not a particularly good fantasy QB.   But you know that Goff is the starter, so he's an easy choice, especially in a superflex league.  

Tua Tagovailoa or Joe Burrow?  Burrow easily.  Tua has struggled with what is "open" in the NFL.  Tua at Alabama had 5 star NFL talent WRs who were always open by a few yards.  Have to take Burrow since Burrow was solid in his rookie year.

Herbert was not seen as a generational talent. Lawrence may be considered just that. I'll take the gamble since I already have Lamar

I only do 1 qb leagues, so plausible upside reigns supreme. I have almost no interest in Goff unless he comes dirt cheap and I don't feel strong enough about him to argue for him over another in that range.

Contextual example, I was jammed up in one after Luck's surprise retirement. I ended up with Cousins. Not because I like him (I don't), but because he cost Darwin Thompson and a 4th round (idp) pick. I will buy these types - don't run, big contract, mediocre enough to not lose their job - but it'll be the cheapest one and only if I need them. 

In a vacuum I'd rather have a wildcard like Trubisky than that. In fact, in that Cousins league I have Trubisky. 

Herbert was not seen as a generational talent. Lawrence may be considered just that. I'll take the gamble since I already have Lamar
I understand that however we now have additional info on Herbert.  He had a historic season in the NFL so even though the scouting community may not have seen him as a generational talent he actually performed at that type of level in real games.  Lawrence still hasn't taken an NFL snap so who knows if he will perform like a generational talent. 

Its why even though I think Lawrence may have a slightly higher ceiling it will take him meeting that heighth to return better than Herbert.  So why not just take the exceptionally well performing bird in the hand?

Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson? You've been posting some great polls and questions regarding positions. Out of all the RB,WR, TE, QB questions you posed this one has the greatest disparity. Not remotely close.

Dak Prescott or Aaron Rodgers? That old bit about Father Times record.

Kyler Murray or Deshaun Watson? Now we are getting into the hard stuff. I'd lean Watson, just think he played at a exceptionally high level and I put more trust in his career body of work.

Justin Herbert or Trevor Lawrence? I would have described Trevor as a more athletic Herbert, and Herbert is athletic.

Mitch Trubisky or Jared Goff?  Since neither was an option but because of running ability Trubisky offers more upside.

Tua Tagovailoa or Joe Burrow? Second easiest one other then Lamar over Baker.  To early to label Tua a bust, way to early, but if I was a Dolphins fan I'd be sick about the way Herbert is playing and the way my guy has looked.
I wish you'd have popped a Fields question in the mix.

Lawrence's ceiling is much, much higher. His game is actually not very polished. He wins via physical traits right now. If his game gets tightened up...
I don't know, I'd have a hard time saying anyone has a much, much higher ceiling than Herbert at this point. He's got all the tools and is finishing up arguably the best rookie season for a QB in NFL history.

Drew Lock or Sam Darnold?

Go!
*I never considered buying Lock, so I don't have him anywhere and don't intend to change that.

*I have Darnold a couple places because he was cheap. If there were a buyer I'd sell, but I don't think there is and am not going to devote the time & energy to find out. So I'm holding and will re-assess what to do with him at the end of April.

So, the answer is Darnold. But, not really.

I don't know, I'd have a hard time saying anyone has a much, much higher ceiling than Herbert at this point. He's got all the tools and is finishing up arguably the best rookie season for a QB in NFL history.
Herbert's ceiling in our game will always be restricted by his limited capabilities as a runner. 

*I never considered buying Lock, so I don't have him anywhere and don't intend to change that.

*I have Darnold a couple places because he was cheap. If there were a buyer I'd sell, but I don't think there is and am not going to devote the time & energy to find out. So I'm holding and will re-assess what to do with him at the end of April.

So, the answer is Darnold. But, not really.
I was kidding, anyway. But it's still a legit question if one is in 2QB or desperate. They might not even be your best bet in Superflex depending on how you deep one goes, really, given their point totals.

Drew Lock or Sam Darnold?

Go!
I am not sold on Lock as a long-term starter, although I love the targets he has to work with in Denver.  The Jets may elect to move on from Darnold, but I feel like he will still end up a starter somewhere, and hopefully with a better host of weapons than he had at his disposal in NY.  Perhaps Denver?

I was kidding, anyway. But it's still a legit question if one is in 2QB or desperate. They might not even be your best bet in Superflex depending on how you deep one goes, really, given their point totals.
I wouldn't mind seeing if I  can get Darnold for pennies or a trade throw in in the right trade circumstances.  I wouldn't pay anything of consequence but I think he could be serviceable under the right circumstances.

I value depth more than most, probably because of the types of league's I am in, so I think viable QB3's and 4's have their place in 1 QB leagues. Trying to shake out the next Tannehill creates that depth, so I think devoting time to these types is worthwhile.

Lamar Jackson is understandably running away with his poll against Baker Mayfield, so let me pose this one to you:

Justin Fields or Lamar Jackson?
This is similar to the Lawrence vs Herbert comparison.  I just don't see how you can choose a prospect that has never seen an NFL field over a guy that has shown elite fantasy production in the NFL already.

ETA:  assuming you aren't comparing someone that is at the end of a career like Brees or Brady in the mix.

This is similar to the Lawrence vs Herbert comparison.  I just don't see how you can choose a prospect that has never seen an NFL field over a guy that has shown elite fantasy production in the NFL already.

ETA:  assuming you aren't comparing someone that is at the end of a career like Brees or Brady in the mix.
I don't think it is because Fields still has potentially a fatal flaw whereas Lawrence doesn't.

I get that, but Justin Fields versus a QB who has not shown some elite production seems like a relatively easy choice in favor of Fields.  Fields vs. Burrow? (Burrow has already shown flashes of being elite.)  Fields vs. Tua?  Perhaps that is a closer call.  Fields vs. Daniel Jones?  That to me is a very close call, but I would roll the dice with Fields, given his running ability.

Lamar Jackson is understandably running away with his poll against Baker Mayfield, so let me pose this one to you:

Justin Fields or Lamar Jackson?
Lamar for sure because he's a proven fantasy producer and Fields could find himself in a situation like Lamar or Mahomes entered, were they had to sit awhile so having Lamar on the ready vs a potential roster hole is also part of the factor.

I think Fields vs Lawrence for fantasy purposes is more interesting then people are giving it credit for right now and in some ways reminds me of people mulling over Mahomes or Lamar this time last year. And that's really as simple as weighing upside running Qb's usually have vs longevity of the QB I consider the better passer. Mahomes can run, so can Trevor, just not on the level as Fields and Lamar.

I get that, but Justin Fields versus a QB who has not shown some elite production seems like a relatively easy choice in favor of Fields.  Fields vs. Burrow? (Burrow has already shown flashes of being elite.)  Fields vs. Tua?  Perhaps that is a closer call.  Fields vs. Daniel Jones?  That to me is a very close call, but I would roll the dice with Fields, given his running ability.
Fields v Burrow v Tua are interesting conversations. Daniel Jones? Not so much.

Fields v Burrow v Tua are interesting conversations. Daniel Jones? Not so much.
I would take Burrow over Fields, despite the injury.  Tua is a much closer call for me, but I would lean Tua there.  I put Daniel Jones in the Mayfield/Goff category of QBs who may have more NFL value than fantasy, and while I would take the upside of Fields ahead of Jones, the gap is pretty narrow for me . . . for now.  Come September (or perhaps even May), I may change my mind entirely on where to rank Fields!

Herbert's ceiling in our game will always be restricted by his limited capabilities as a runner. 
Everyone's ceiling is "restricted" by something, but I wouldn't call his capabilities as a runner limited by any stretch. He's big, strong, and fast (for a QB), so while he'll never be Lamar or Kyler, he's a plus runner IMO.

I would take Burrow over Fields, despite the injury.  Tua is a much closer call for me, but I would lean Tua there.  I put Daniel Jones in the Mayfield/Goff category of QBs who may have more NFL value than fantasy, and while I would take the upside of Fields ahead of Jones, the gap is pretty narrow for me . . . for now.  Come September (or perhaps even May), I may change my mind entirely on where to rank Fields!
Daniel Jones has been an objectively bad quarterback that is playable in our game because he runs. He's little different than Trubisky imho

Everyone's ceiling is "restricted" by something, but I wouldn't call his capabilities as a runner limited by any stretch. He's big, strong, and fast (for a QB), so while he'll never be Lamar or Kyler, he's a plus runner IMO.
Quarterbacks that run have an advantage in our game and the 26 yards he ran for Sunday was his 2nd highest total of the season. 

I'm honestly surprised to hear people this high on Tua, I for sure have him closer to Jones then Fields or Burrow.
My assessment on Tua hasn't changed this season. He had a covid influenced offseason while rehabbing a serious injury that prevented him from being fit enough to play until November. I am much more curious to see how he performs on the other side of a normal, healthy offseason. 

My assessment on Tua hasn't changed this season. He had a covid influenced offseason while rehabbing a serious injury that prevented him from being fit enough to play until November. I am much more curious to see how he performs on the other side of a normal, healthy offseason. 
I thought Tua was overrated before the season and think even more so now.

Quarterbacks that run have an advantage in our game and the 26 yards he ran for Sunday was his 2nd highest total of the season. 
All else being equal, sure, but that's not the norm.

Herbert didn't play the first game of the season, is a rookie with virtually no offseason under his belt who wasn't expected to be the starter, and has a terrible coach and O-line, yet he still scored more FF points with his legs than guys with tons of upside like Mahomes, Rodgers, etc. For another perspective, he's faster than Josh Allen (who is relying less on his legs now that he's become a better passer).

I'm not saying he's a threat to lead the league in rushing or anything, but outside of the top few running QBs he's right there with the pack- certainly doesn't limit his upside compared to most IMO, including a guy who's yet to take an NFL snap.

Drew Lock or Sam Darnold? I actually like both these guys to grow into higher quality NFL starters and to be more fantasy relevant at some point. But I like Lock's chances to remain the guy in Denver better than Darnold's chances in NY. And I like the surrounding offense in Denver much better today. That said I would trade whichever side of this that would yield me *any* kind of a pick upgrade. I would not be rostering either of these two in single QB.

Go!

I'm honestly surprised to hear people this high on Tua, I for sure have him closer to Jones then Fields or Burrow.
I think Tua and Burrow will end up being fairly close. Burrows has Rodgers upside but will likely be a QB8-14 type. Tua’s range is wider but is more likely to be a QB12-16. I like Tua’s accuracy and his composure. I think he will improve outside the numbers but this is a ?

my opinion on dynasty QB (like TE) is that there are the top 5 and everyone else. I’m not sure I feel very strongly either one is more likely to get there.

guessing on Fields is premature without fit and commitment to build around him, but his dynasty position moved a lot closer to Lawrence yesterday 

I appreciate the comments for Tua.  Some excuses are valid but he's the only rookie QB that people are making excuses for here, and again some of those could be valid but it remains he's the only rookie QB people are making them for right now. To me I think it's to early to call Tua a bust but it's not all to early to speculate that he might just have greatly benefited by playing with an All-Time great supporting cast at Bama. I'm not trying to enrage any Tua supporters,  I would just say if you are willing to make excuses such as injury/pandemic year for his performance I think it at least merits looking at his cast at Bama and wondering how much of that attributed to his performance and draft stock.  For me whereas his game got Wilson/Brees comps before the season,  what I saw leads me to comp his play and fantasy ability as something that looks more Alex Smith.

I would in fact not hesitate to pull a reverse Saban and in dynasty I would much rather take Jalen Hurts over Tua. I may be minority on that but I'm sure I'm not alone and I stress this is fantasy related.

I think both are the wrong answer.

As prospects I was more optimistic about Lock but based on their NFL play if I had to I would take Darnold over Lock. Really don't want either of them though.
I really don't, either. I was posting an attempt at a joke that isn't really a joke to some people and to others is just a "meh" option.

I probably shouldn't have posted. Mea culpa on that. At least it's a light-hearted mistake. I roster Lock in dynasty. Mahomes, Lock, and Newton are the QBs I have, all inherited. I'm not really sure what to do about next year, except I might have to spend a second-round pick on a backup, which I absolutely don't want to do but might have to. I have two ones, three twos, and a fifth, so there's no third or fourth round option and Fields, Lance, Wilson, and Lawrence will be gone. It's a 1 QB league.

Really hoping Lock has a huge day tomorrow and Elway refuses to back off his assessment of him come draft day.

I really don't, either. I was posting an attempt at a joke that isn't really a joke to some people and to others is just a "meh" option.

I probably shouldn't have posted. Mea culpa on that. At least it's a light-hearted mistake. I roster Lock in dynasty. Mahomes, Lock, and Newton are the QBs I have, all inherited. I'm not really sure what to do about next year, except I might have to spend a second-round pick on a backup, which I absolutely don't want to do but might have to. I have two ones, three twos, and a fifth, so there's no third or fourth round option and Fields, Lance, Wilson, and Lawrence will be gone. It's a 1 QB league.

Really hoping Lock has a huge day tomorrow and Elway refuses to back off his assessment of him come draft day.
I kind of figured it was somewhat of a joke. My response while serious was made in fun.

Honestly its still too soon to close the book on either of these guys and some times these are decisions you have to make. No reason for self editing here that I see.

I appreciate the comments for Tua.  Some excuses are valid but he's the only rookie QB that people are making excuses for here, and again some of those could be valid but it remains he's the only rookie QB people are making them for right now. To me I think it's to early to call Tua a bust but it's not all to early to speculate that he might just have greatly benefited by playing with an All-Time great supporting cast at Bama. I'm not trying to enrage any Tua supporters,  I would just say if you are willing to make excuses such as injury/pandemic year for his performance I think it at least merits looking at his cast at Bama and wondering how much of that attributed to his performance and draft stock.  For me whereas his game got Wilson/Brees comps before the season,  what I saw leads me to comp his play and fantasy ability as something that looks more Alex Smith.

I would in fact not hesitate to pull a reverse Saban and in dynasty I would much rather take Jalen Hurts over Tua. I may be minority on that but I'm sure I'm not alone and I stress this is fantasy related.
All this is fair. I’d easily take Tua over Hurts for a couple of reasons. I want my backup QB with upside and job security. They will either play once a year on bye, or their value will ascend to a point they can be traded for an asset and the QB2 process begins again. 

if I’m worrying about job security I need to burn an extra roster spot on a QB with zero long term dynasty value. That roster spot has value in my league. 

Users who are viewing this thread