What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would You Rather? (Dynasty PPR TE Edition) (1 Viewer)

Evan Engram or Jonnu Smith?

• Evan Engram

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • Jonnu Smith

Votes: 26 37.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

socrates

Footballguy
Which PPR TE would you rather have on your dynasty team?  I thought it might be good to conduct an end-of-the-season price check.  Feel free to add your own.

Adam Trautman or Cole Kmet?

Noah Fant or Robert Tonyan?

Hayden Hurst or Mike Gesicki?

Tyler Higbee or Austin Hooper?

Dawson Knox or Dalton Schultz?

Gerald Everett or OJ Howard?

Irv Smith Jr. or Kyle Pitts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which PPR TE would you rather have on your dynasty team?  I thought it might be good to conduct an end-of-the-season price check.  Feel free to add your own.

Adam Trautman or Cole Kmet? Trautman due to being with the Saints and Payton and his draft capital.

Noah Fant or Robert Tonyan? Fant just displays a world of talent. Tonyan's a great find if you picked him up off of the wire, but touchdown-dependent right now and not at Fant's level.

Hayden Hurst or Mike Gesicki? Gesicki because the opportunity is there with Tua and Ryan is aging. Hurst seems to be a perpetual tease.

Evan Engram or Jonnu Smith? Engram is just a better fantasy option than Smith when healthy because of his speed and the offense he plays in.

Tyler Higbee or Austin Hooper? Once Everett leaves, Higbee will be alone at TE for the Rams. Hooper will have to contend with other TEs on his roster, even.

Dawson Knox or Dalton Schultz? Knox is young with slight pass catching problems, but Jarwin will come back and take Schultz's spot probably.

Gerald Everett or OJ Howard? Howard was on the verge of busting out this year. Depends where Everett lands. He's got the talent. This is pretty much a toss-up for me and they're both on my main team, like Godwin and McLaurin were in the other question you asked.

Irv Smith Jr. or Kyle Pitts? If all the collegiate heads are right, then this guy is generational.
Once again, my opinion. I hope these questions spur some discussion about valuation, too. I could use a tight end as I finished dead last in my leeg at that position.

Adam Trautman or Cole Kmet? Trautman flashed a little but I'd  Kmet looks like a bigger slightly more athletic version of Hunter Henry.

Noah Fant or Robert Tonyan? Fant easily here, younger, far more athletic, already beating Tonyan in per game numbers for receptions and yardage and QB gap between the two can't get much bigger so would figure it would only narrow in time. Tonyan might be having most efficient year in history of league for TE's,  if you see that as a plus for what he could do with more usage or a negative with respect he'll probably never be this efficient again is up to each person but I'd like to see more usage.

Hayden Hurst or Mike Gesicki? Hurst had a disappointing year but it's hard sometimes to acclimate especially in a year like this one. I think he'll pick it up a great deal next year but similar to Fant vs Tonyan in Gesicki we got the younger more athletic guy and in his case the more productive one so again this one is easily Gesicki to me.

Evan Engram or Jonnu Smith? Jonnu's splits with AJB or Corey in the lineup are impactful so reasonable to think if Corey exits it's a boon for Jonnu. I don't see it that way myself. In real life football I think Jonnu is better then Engram but in fantasy I just don't think Jonnu will ever be a high target player. Great blocker who can make explosive plays but not a consistent weapon. Engram averaged 13.6 PPG points in 2019, only 3 TE's did better this year. He does make a lot of mistakes but I don't think he got worse, more first and likely last year OC Jason Garrett spending chunk of the year trying to turn use him like Witten. Engram easily for me here.

Tyler Higbee or Austin Hooper?  Higbee is a good buy low because of the question coming two spots after this one.

Dawson Knox or Dalton Schultz? I almost did not want to render a decision on this one, I really don't know. Knox drops the ball more then you'd like to see but I think he's a more explosive athlete whose role and playing time has been growing the last few weeks. Schultz's year reminds me a lot of Hoopers 2019 season, just not as good. It reminds me of that season in the sense that it's team that was trailing often with more explosive weapons for the opposing D to worry about and I think that worked to his benefit.

Gerald Everett or OJ Howard? Everett is of course why Higbee is a good buy low as it seems far fetched to think the Rams will retain Everett. Think back to that very brief run he had in 2019 when he took control of the TE job before getting hurt and watching Higbee blow up  to end the season. I think that's what he is capable of becoming and of course OJ has massive injury to overcome and then usage concerns in the immediate(thought his brief time he played last year it was better then I thought)

Irv Smith Jr. or Kyle Pitts? Nice one. Irv would be a leading breakout candidate for me next year and he has a lot of upside but I think Pitts gives me a better chance to one day have my Kelce or Waller difference maker.

Once again, my opinion. I hope these questions spur some discussion about valuation, too. I could use a tight end as I finished dead last in my leeg at that position.
If I was listing my top buy low before they breakout TE's I think everyone was brought up in Socrate's original question.   I got Kmet and Irv as my two favorites right now as best potential break out TE's relative to what I assume is their cost. As you say, just my opinion.

If I was listing my top buy low before they breakout TE's I think everyone was brought up in Socrate's original question.   I got Kmet and Irv as my two favorites right now as best potential break out TE's relative to what I assume is their cost. As you say, just my opinion.
Yeah, I got that buy low vibe from a lot of the guys and I like Irv, too. I might be waiting on that, though, because I have Everett and Howard, who didn't do anything this year, but I'm looking at bounce-back years next year maybe. O.J.'s Achilles tendon, though, is a major concern. Might take a big guy like that two years to fully recover.

It seems I stockpile TEs in the offseason of my dynasty league, and I am not entirely sure why.  We do allow a TE to be subbed in for a WR, so the versatility is nice.

I am a bit torn between Trautman and Kmet.  I have Trautman one slot above Kmet, but it is essentially a toss-up for me.

Noah Fant and Robert Tonyan are essentially even for me, as well.  Fant is arguably the better athlete, but Tonyan looks like more than a flash in the pan, and he has a nice rapport with Rodgers.  I wonder who will be under center for the Broncos in 2021.  If I had to choose between the two, I suppose I would take the vast upside of Fant.

Hurst or Gesicki?  I am not terribly excited about either, but the Dolphins look like an emerging team, so I will take Gesicki.  I expected the voting on this to be closer.

Evan Engram or Jonnu Smith?  I would be happy to roster either, but I agree that Engram offers a more intriguing upside.

Tyler Higbee or Austin Hooper?  If Everett departs LA, Higbee could be a solid TE1 next season.  Plus, Harrison Bryant could be Hooper's Everett next season, limiting his value.

Dawson Knox or Dalton Schultz? While I don't love Knox, he is playing in an exciting offense, plus I agree that Jarwin's return may spoil Schultz's value.

Gerald Everett or OJ Howard?  For their current price, I like both.  (Did I mention I like to stockpile TEs in the offseason?)  Both have tremendous upside, but neither has really lived up to their athletic profile.  Howard for me by a hair, but honestly, I am considering both!

Irv Smith or Kyle Pitts?  I added this one just to test Pitts' early value.  I agree with the consensus here that Pitts is the one to grab.  How high is he rated?  Above Hunter Henry?  Dallas Goedert?  For me, he is a top 10 already, but, depending on his landing spot, could easily be in my top 5 before he has even played a down.  Crazy?

Not many names here I would want to roster. Fant, Tonyan, Gesicki, Smith Jr, end of list. Would like to see Pitts landing spot. Higbee if Everett leaves.

Just going with my gut on these.

Kmet>>>Trautman, just more weapons in NO, and I'm not sure the QB play will be better there than in Chi post-Brees.

Tonyan>>>Fant, more mouths to feed in Denver, and its highly unlikely Denver has a QB better than Rodgers anytime soon. Fant also strikes me as a bit of a tease, ala Evan Engram, where you see the ability, but something stops him from putting it all together. Tonyan is nothing too special, but he has Rodgers trust and that is hard to achieve. 

Gesicki>>>Hurst, this isn't really close to me. Better player, better situation, younger, and easier path to being his team's go-to guy.

Jonnu>>>Engram, I just don't like Engram, I think he's completely unreliable, despite being in a situation where he's had multiple chances to be a top-5 guy. I think his targets are almost a lock to go down, and I'm just not sure he's an good. I think he gets overrated due to his athleticism, which is great, but its been 4 years and he hasn't really taken a step forward from his rookie year. Smith has just about as much athleticism, and could see his targets greatly increase going forward, either by him leaving, or Corey Davis leaving as both are FAs. 

Higbee>>>Hooper, Higbee is a great buy low, as Everett is likely leaving LA, and both Higbee and Everett, were top-5ish guys whenever the other was out. Hooper is about as run of the mill as it gets, other than 1 season where Matt Ryan threw him a bunch of passes. I think its more likely Hooper loses his starting job, than it is that he becomes a quality fantasy starter again.

I'd rather have Blake Jarwin than Knox or Schulz, neither of whom have any real dynasty value in my opinion.

Pitts>>>Smith, I'm not a big fan of Smith's, and that goes back to Alabama. Just never been very impressed by the guy, and nothing he's done in the NFL has changed that. At best he's the #3 pass catcher in a run first offense. Smith feels like a sell-high, especially if Rudolph leaves. Pitts looks like the best TE prospect in maybe a decade. I'll probably catch some flak for it, but I have Pitts as TE5 right now.  

ETA: Missed it initially, but Everett>>>Howard. Everett is likely to get a big contract this offseason, and while Howard has shown some upside, he had every chance to run away with the TB job, and never did. 

I picked Trautman in a few leagues but I wish I had been able to get Kmet. Feel like he’s got the slight early edge. 
Fant 

Gesicki

Jonnu over Engram but that’s really close

Higbee I guess

Knox

OJ I guess

Pitts but I really think Irv is about to ascend

Fant vs Tonyan is pretty interesting.  I would suspect Tonyan was on some championship teams this year and probably next.  The ceiling is higher with Fant, not sure he reaches it on Denver though.  I picked Tonyan.

Users who are viewing this thread