What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Chris Olave, NO (1 Viewer)

Ohio State junior WR Chris Olave caught six passes for 132 yards with two touchdowns in a 49-28 win over Clemson on Friday in the Sugar Bowl. 

Olave was unable to play in the Big Ten championship against Northwestern, and the Ohio State passing game struggled. It did anything but struggle on Friday. Olave (6'1/188) caught a nine-yard touchdown to give the Buckeyes a 28-14 lead, and he caught a gorgeous 56-yard pass from Justin Fields a quarter later to make it 42-28. The junior wideout has been a playmaker all season -- even if the Buckeyes' season was shorter than most -- and will now get to show off his skills against Alabama in the National Championship Game on January 11. 

Jan 1, 2021, 11:59 PM ET

Ohio State junior WR Chris Olave brought in 10 receptions for 139 yards and a touchdown in a 52-12 rout of Michigan State on Saturday. 

Another big game for a receiver that just continues to make plays without getting the credit he probably deserves. Subjective, of course, but it's tough to dispute the 6-foot-1, 188-pound wideout's production. His touchdown was a beautiful 41-yard connection with Justin Field that gave the Buckeyes a 45-10 lead in the middle of the fourth. Olave have scored five touchdowns in as many games this year, and he's up to 36 catches in that timeframe. He should have another big game -- assuming it can be played next Saturday -- against Michigan. 

Dec 5, 2020, 3:45 PM ET

Anthony Treash of ESPN lists Ohio State junior WR Chris Olave 10th among wideouts for the 2020 season.

Olave had to deal with a lot of competition for catches in his first two years with the Buckeyes, but he's clearly the top option in the passing game now; with all due respect to star sophomore Garrett Wilson. Where the 6-foot-1, 188-pound really excels, as Treash notes, is in creating separation. "Over 57% of his targets thrown 10-plus yards beyond the line of scrimmage had two or more steps of separation," he writes, "which both led the country and was 23 percentage points above the average." Impressive, and it's reasonable to think that Olave will be even better in 2020.

SOURCE: ESPN

Mar 22, 2020, 6:18 PM ET

Ive seen him mocked to the Packers...but also seen him going higher than they likely will be drafting.

While I have no inclination to think GB uses a 1st round pick on a WR...he seems like he would be very productive for what they do.

Good late 1st in rookie drafts, probably a 2nd round nfl pick. Should have a solid if unspectacular career. 

I'm the only one saying it, haven't seen it anywhere and I'm likely wrong because of that but

avoid Olave

7 incompletions this year.

He's caught 42 of 49 targets, for 660 yards & 7 touchdowns.

Hard to dispute that hard-hitting, well thought out and supported analysis.
Agreed, I should do that more often.

But to be clear, I don't see anything worth investing in honestly. He looks like a depth WR to me when it comes to fantasy. Like a Josh Reynolds type of WR who fills a solid role, isn't special and just kind of is there. I'm shooting way higher than Olave when it comes to rookies. Like I said I'm probably wrong, but when I watched him, nothing stands out and he looks awkward as hell doing it. 

But to be clear, I don't see anything worth investing in honestly. He looks like a depth WR to me when it comes to fantasy. Like a Josh Reynolds type of WR who fills a solid role, isn't special and just kind of is there. I'm shooting way higher than Olave when it comes to rookies. Like I said I'm probably wrong, but when I watched him, nothing stands out and he looks awkward as hell doing it. 
I just don't see that.

He moves the chains.  He gets YAC yards.  He finds holes in the defense downfield to get open.  He blows the roof off the defense.  He scores in the red zone.  

He has fantastic footwork.  He runs good routes.  He looks so smooth and seamless running.  

The production is there.  He's done it against real competition in the Big 10 and Clemson most recently.  

I just don't see that.

He moves the chains.  He gets YAC yards.  He finds holes in the defense downfield to get open.  He blows the roof off the defense.  He scores in the red zone.  

He has fantastic footwork.  He runs good routes.  He looks so smooth and seamless running.  

The production is there.  He's done it against real competition in the Big 10 and Clemson most recently.  
Could be. Nobody really knows at this point but there are a few things going in his favor. I just don't see it when I watch him. We'll find out in a few years to see what he becomes. That's what I hate about this hobby of mine, takes so long to figure out if you're right or not. 

I will be honest, this is where I have been with Olave, as well.  He doesn't jump out to me as someone who outruns, out-jumps or out-muscles defenders.  He seems to get open a lot, however.  The report on Olave is that he is an excellent route runner, and that would explain his penchant for getting open.  Typically, Olave is the very type of receiver who appeals to me, and I suspect I will warm to Olave over the coming months, but we have seen a rise in players who have dominant physical skills, either elite speed and quickness like Tyreek Hill or size/speed like DK Metcalf, while a route technician like Jerry Jeudy has struggled.  Olave lacks those traits.  Perhaps that has clouded my judgment a bit.

we have seen a rise in players who have dominant physical skills, either elite speed and quickness like Tyreek Hill or size/speed like DK Metcalf, while a route technician like Jerry Jeudy has struggled.  Olave lacks those traits.
You’re just picking and choosing examples, likely based upon the players you like/hate. 
We have also seen elite speed turn to trash (Ross, Ruggs), we have seen big guys struggle (dozens, take your pick), and route technicians excel (McLaurin, Kupp)

You’re just picking and choosing examples, likely based upon the players you like/hate. 
We have also seen elite speed turn to trash (Ross, Ruggs), we have seen big guys struggle (dozens, take your pick), and route technicians excel (McLaurin, Kupp)
This.

Outside of the 2 you named, I don't think most guys ARE relying on outliers.  

What do you consider an outlier?  

Adams is 6'1 215.  Allen Robinson is 6'2 220.  Neither are supremely fast. 

Ridley is 6'1 190 and ran a 4.44.

Diggs 6'0 190 ran a 4.46

Justin Jefferson ran a 4.4

Other non-physically elite WR that finished top 25 PPR:

Lockett

Theilen

Kupp

McLaurin

Cooks

Woods

Keenan Allen

Marvin Jones

Deontae Johnson

I don't have Olave crazy high.  Late 1st round of rookie drafts, maybe even slides to the 2nd round.  After the first 2-3 guys, I think it's a big jumble of talented WR's who will rely heavily on where the land to outshine the other guys in the same range. 

Picking at 10-12--I'm just trying to "hit" on my pick.  If I'm picking 12th and take Olave to get the production of McLaurin--that's a good pick.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't see that.

I see a promising young WR that should do well in the NFL.   He doesn’t rely on just physical traits such as speed or size but has skills.   He isn’t Hill or Metcalf for sure but could be very productive.  

I view rookies mainly in the way that I’m investing in them long term. So I gravitate to guys who I like and ones with safer profiles. I don’t particularly care if they gain/lose value in year one because I’m looking long term. 

Some might view rookies as a value gain after they’ve been a rookie pick. I do believe Olave will gain value from there onwards. He’s a mid 2nd it seems. This philosophy, or whatever you want to call it, is more risky and something I try to avoid. 

I view rookies mainly in the way that I’m investing in them long term. So I gravitate to guys who I like and ones with safer profiles. I don’t particularly care if they gain/lose value in year one because I’m looking long term. 

Some might view rookies as a value gain after they’ve been a rookie pick. I do believe Olave will gain value from there onwards. He’s a mid 2nd it seems. This philosophy, or whatever you want to call it, is more risky and something I try to avoid. 
I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. It sounds like you prefer to invest in depreciating assets because they may eventually mete out a bonanza return at some unspecified date while eschewing potential short term gains by ignoring them completely. 
Do your leagues not allow trading?

I'm not sure what you're arguing here.  I think everyone thinks they're investing in rookies long-term.  Do you think we're all just hoping to get a rookie that has a good rookie yaer but sucks in the long-term?  

I like Olave, and I think he has a fairly safe profile.  I think he'll be back end of the 1st round or 2nd round.  If I'm taking him there, and he's a guy who puts together multiple 1,000 yard seasons, I think I've won by picking a guy that gives me that.  Do you think that's looking at the short term?

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. It sounds like you prefer to invest in depreciating assets because they may eventually mete out a bonanza return at some unspecified date while eschewing potential short term gains by ignoring them completely. 
Do your leagues not allow trading?
What I'm saying is guys like Olave, to me, are minimal value gains on their rookie pick. I don't see a high enough ceiling there to buy and then sell for a minimal gain when/if there is one. He's a guy I don't like. Some people like to play that way, just draft for the eventual return on investment kind of thing if they hit. But that gain isn't much to me when it comes to Olave. I'd rather shoot for higher upside (at least what I perceive to be) for bigger gains. If they don't come I find more value in churning my roster with those types for ones that do eventually get there rather than buy for a late 2nd, sell for an early 2nd and so on. 

What I'm saying is guys like Olave, to me, are minimal value gains on their rookie pick. I don't see a high enough ceiling there to buy and then sell for a minimal gain when/if there is one. He's a guy I don't like. Some people like to play that way, just draft for the eventual return on investment kind of thing if they hit. But that gain isn't much to me when it comes to Olave. I'd rather shoot for higher upside (at least what I perceive to be) for bigger gains. If they don't come I find more value in churning my roster with those types for ones that do eventually get there rather than buy for a late 2nd, sell for an early 2nd and so on. 
Say that Olave winds up similar to McLaurin.  80 catches, 1100 yards.  Rock Solid WR2.  If you're getting that in the 2nd round--that's not high enough upside? 

You'd rather take someone that perhaps goes lower in the draft, that you think 1 day is higher risk/higher reward?

I'm pretty happy to hit on guys that can give me repeated 1,000 yard seasons.  

Ultimately, what you're saying doesn't make a ton of sense to me.  "Some people like to play that way, just draft for the eventual return on investment kind of thing if they hit."  Is there a different way to do it?  Are we all not looking for return on investment from our rookie picks?  

I feel like this is 1st grade math:  Addition and subtraction,  and you're acting like it's calculus.  

I would be happy to land Olave on my fantasy team, at the right spot in the draft.  I currently have him in the second round of my early rookie dynasty draft board, and, as I acknowledged above, I suspect he could creep upward.  If Olave runs in the 4.4 range, he will be a fast riser.  However, if he runs more in the 4.5 range, he will likely be viewed with some skepticism.  Olave does many things really well, but, at 6-1, 188 lbs., if he does not run well, I just don't see him getting drafted high.  Terry McLaurin tested as one of the more athletic receivers in his class, and he ran a 4.35-second 40 at the combine.  Calvin Ridley ran a 4.43 at the combine.  Robby Anderson ran a 4.34.  Tyler Lockett has 4.4 speed.  I am not suggesting that if Olave runs closer to a 4.5 he cannot succeed in the NFL, but there just are not a lot of examples of receivers with his physical stature excelling unless they also have that speed element to their game.  It is true that Cooper Kupp lacks speed, but he is also 15-20 pounds bigger than Olave, with exceptionally strong hands and just generally plays more physical.  

I have not seen game-breaking speed from Olave.  He looks to me to have adequate speed, but not really a dynamic downfield threat.  Olave runs smooth routes, he shows an advanced understanding of how to find the soft spots in a defense, and he displays good hands and excellent body control.  There are many things I really like about his game.  As I said above, "Olave is the very type of receiver who appeals to me."  

I am not cherry picking players I like or hate.  I am indifferent to that.  If a player has the profile to move up in my rankings, I move him up.  I am no scout, I don't pretend to be, I never played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  I am a fantasy team manager like the rest of us on this board, just looking to add the best talent to my team.  If the scouts identify Olave as a first-round talent, and he is drafted as such, I will give strong consideration to their expert opinions, but, in the grand scheme of it all, I take all of that information into account and set my rankings based on my own preferences.  Until Olave runs, he is likely to remain about where he is on my board, but I would be ecstatic to see him run well and vault up my rankings.

Edit to add:  Do you see traits in Olave that suggest he should be a first-round fantasy pick?  I will assume for argument sake that Olave is outside of the upper tier of receivers, so I will exclude J. Chase, D. Smith, R. Moore, J. Waddle and R. Bateman (if you believe Olave ranks ahead of any of those WRs, please expound).  Where would you rank Olave, however, in comparison to the likes of Terrace Marshall (6-3, 201), Sage Surratt (6-3, 215), Seth Williams (6-3, 224) or Tamorrion Terry (6-4, 209)?  What type of a role do you envision for Olave in the NFL?  Would you consider him a potential top 25 fantasy WR?  Top 20?

There is a group of receivers in this draft class who share a similar size with Olave.  I am waiting with curiosity to see how each of them tests.  Tylan Wallace (6-0, 190) showed some excellent speed downfield; Dyami Brown (6-0, 185) does not appear to me to have high-end speed; Amon-Ra St. Brown (6-1, 195) has incredibly strong hands, but he also may not time well.  Kadarius Toney (6-0, 193) is more quick than fast, but I do not suspect he will time well in the 40.

On my early fantasy draft board, I have Olave as a mid to late second-round pick; convince me I should move him up.

Ohio State junior WR Chris Olave brought in eight passes for 69 yards in Monday's 52-24 loss to Alabama in the CFP National Championship presented by AT&T.

Olave was much more of a simple chain mover than the explosive player many were hoping for. Though he entered the game with 15.7 yards per reception and seven scores on just 42 catches, Olave (6'1/188) did not even crack 10 yards per catch in this one, nor did he find the end zone. Olave earned just one play of 20-yards or more, which is probably enough to tell you about how Ohio State's efforts in searching for the big play went all night. Olave did do well to provide QB Justin Fields security underneath, but without much firepower, the Buckeyes offense fizzled out and could not keep up with Alabama's all-time great offense. Olave finishes the year with just over 700 receiving yards. 

Jan 12, 2021, 12:19 AM ET

Another kid that doesn't like money, I guess.

He's obviously talented, but I dont see any insane physical tools that are going to suddenly move him beyond the late first round with another year of development.  And its not like his stats are likely to get better with Fields gone.

Just weird.

What the heck did I miss back on the tenth? Ruggs is already trash with John Ross? That's novel. And McLaurin ran a sub-4.4. What the flerk was everybody talking about on the tenth?

I want to see what Olave runs. Looks fine to me. I'm not sure where he should go, but he should be rated highly. As it is, it's a moot point. He's back in school to prove himself in a year where everybody will have more tape and there might be a combine.

Surprising decision.  

Some mocks had him late 1st, and most had him in the 2nd.  I don't know that he'll come back and move up much better than where he's at.   I was hoping to get him in the 2nd round of rookie drafts, felt like a nice value pick.

Pro Football Focus named Ohio State junior WR Chris Olave as a first-team preseason All-American.

Olave (6'1/189) could have easily departed for the NFL Draft this year and been in the mix to be a first-round draft pick. According to PFF, he has generated at least one step of separation on 89 percent of his routes since 2019, the highest rate in the country. Olave is almost uncoverable in man-to-man coverage, recording 15 catches of 15-yards or more over the past two years, which is five more than the next highest returning Power-Five receiver. With blue-chip QB CJ Stroud lighting up the Ohio State spring game and true frosh QB Kyle McCord looking like a bonified NFL prospect, Olave should continue to cement his status as one of the best receivers in college football. 

SOURCE: PFF.com

Jun 28, 2021, 12:19 PM ET

Ohio State junior WR Chris Olave caught four passes for 117 yards and two touchdowns in a 45-31 victory over Minnesota on Saturday.

Olave (6'1/189) picked up right where he left off last season, as the talented Buckeye wideout caught touchdown passes of 61 and 38 yards against a beleaguered Minnesota secondary. Despite a sow first-half, Olave opened up the scoring in the second half for OSU when he ran a deep drag pattern against zone coverage that resulted in his first score. The Ohio State pass catcher earned pre-season All-American accolades and is in the conversation to be a Day 1 NFL Draft selection next April if he continues to progress and makes some noise against Oregon this Saturday.

Sep 3, 2021, 1:22 AM ET

I probably have no justification for this, but I can't seem to get on board and i'm an OSU fan (stepson grad-um-cated from there).  I'm not saying he won't be a good WR, I just have my doubts about him ever being an alpha #1 WR on a team.  I much prefer Traylon Burks, David Bell, George Pickens (even with the injury) and to a lesser extent Garrett Wilson.

Ohio State senior WR Chris Olave caught 12 passes for 126 yards in Saturday’s 35-28 loss to Oregon.

Olave (6'1/189) is uncoverable in man-to-man coverage, and he sees plenty of it surrounded by so many studs in Ohio State's offense. Pro Football Focus' Mike Renner compares Olave to former Alabama WR Calvin Ridley because of Olave's sharp, nuanced routes, acceleration out of cuts, and overall reliability. Olave, who spurned the NFL to return for his senior year, has posted a 16-243-2 line through two games.

Sep 11, 2021, 4:17 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread