Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

☠ ☠ ☠ Official 2021 Las Vegas Raiders thread ☠ ☠ ☠ - only 3.5 more months of talking about draft reaches until real football arrives


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

Interesting tweet from Gil Brandt

3 times in a 4-year span (2004-07) the Raiders' first-round pick was immediately followed by the drafting of either a first-ballot HOFer or one who will be: 2004: Larry Fitzgerald (Robert Gallery) 2005: Aaron Rodgers (Fabian Washington) 2006: Calvin Johnson (JaMarcus Russell)

Ouch!

Can you imagine the damage that could have been done with Rodgers at QB and Fitzgerald and Johnson as his WR's. You could field the rest of the offense with a HS team and still put up 30 a game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

They can.... cuts are coming. Incognito is possible but then we NEED to resign Good and that will likely make that a wash. 

Joyner is most likely going but I wonder about if we moved him to FS.... it seems to me that that is his natural position and could excel. On the other end, he is nearly 30 and I think there are some FS that have been good in this defense that are FA. 

However, swinging back into affording Mariota. Yes, they can do it but there is a cost. We don't have the room to have that luxury when we can invest it in the defense and even more so when we are not talking about cutting him but we are talking about trading him and getting more value in return. 

No brainer. 

I'm torn on Joyner too.  I don't think he has been as bad as he has been made out to be and I think he possibly could be very good in Bradley's defense, but $8.7M savings is a good chunk. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chadstroma said:

Can you imagine the damage that could have been done with Rodgers at QB and Fitzgerald and Johnson as his WR's. You could field the rest of the offense with a HS team and still put up 30 a game. 

Gruden would run full back blast, 78% of the time. 😂

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ICON211 said:

I'm torn on Joyner too.  I don't think he has been as bad as he has been made out to be and I think he possibly could be very good in Bradley's defense, but $8.7M savings is a good chunk. 

Agreed. On both thoughts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, joey said:

I don’t watch college football at all so don’t know of any of these dues, but I like that all the mocks are going D for the Raiders and most are going LB. 

 

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/17/raiders-2021-nfl-mock-draft-database-40-different-mocks-all-going-defense/

Bet on a reach of some kind. I too, didn't watch much college football this year for obvious reasons. I'm just now learning names like Kwity Paye, Micah Parsons, Azeez Ojulari and Patrick Surtain Jr. Just to name a few. But who the heck knows what Mayock and Gruden will do. My best guess is it'll be a prospect from a big time program like Clemson, Bama or Ohio state. That seems to be one of Mayock's tendencies I've picked up on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bruno2 said:

Bet on a reach of some kind. I too, didn't watch much college football this year for obvious reasons. I'm just now learning names like Kwity Paye, Micah Parsons, Azeez Ojulari and Patrick Surtain Jr. Just to name a few. But who the heck knows what Mayock and Gruden will do. My best guess is it'll be a prospect from a big time program like Clemson, Bama or Ohio state. That seems to be one of Mayock's tendencies I've picked up on.

Obviously, the D needs a lot of help and I would start at the front and work back.   Unfortunately, from what I understand, this draft is not real strong with D line talent.   There are a few linebackers that should fall in our laps.   The Raiders will probably reach again for the D line player instead of simply taking the BPA.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Raiders re-sign defensive end David Irving

The 27 year old closed out last season in Las Vegas

By Bill Williamson

 

It took a while, but the Las Vegas Raiders announced on Thursday that they have brought back defensive end David Irving for a chance to make the 2021 roster.

Irving finished the 2020 season on the Raiders’ practice squad so he has been eligible to to re-sign with the team since early January. Yet, that doesn’t initially occur. Irving did have a couple of workouts in the NFL — with the Indianapolis Colts and the Detroit Lions — yet neither team signed him.

Instead, the Raiders circled back and have brought back the 6’7, 285-pound defensive end back to the program.

Irving signed with the Raiders during the 2020 season, returning with defensive line coach Rod Marinelli, who he was coached by with Dallas Cowboys. Irving, who dealt with NFL suspensions, didn’t play for two years between his Dallas and Las Vegas stints.

The 27 year old played in just two games with the Raiders last season, and also spent some time on the NFL’s reserve/COVID-19 list.

Perhaps with a full training camp, Irving can show the Raiders enough for them to put him on the 53-man roster in an attempt to boost the team’s pass-rush.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carson Wentz trade: Colts first inquired about trading for Derek Carr but were turned down, per report

Carr is staying in Las Vegas, at least for the time being

By Bryan DeArdo

 

Carson Wentz is heading to Indianapolis, but only after the Colts had already inquired about Raiders quarterback Derek Carr. The Colts were among the teams that had contacted the Raiders about Carr's availability, according to Jim Ayello of the Indianapolis Star. After reportedly being told that Carr was not available, the Colts executed a deal that brought Wentz to Indianapolis in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick and a 2022 conditional second-round pick. 

While the Colts ended up with Wentz, the Raiders continue to stick with Carr, who has two seasons left on his five-year, $125 million extension. The soon-to-be 30-year-old Carr is coming off of a 2020 season that saw him complete 67.3% of his throws for 4,103 yards with 27 touchdowns and nine interceptions. Carr's play helped Las Vegas jump out to a 6-3 start before faltering to a 2-5 finish. 

A 2014 second-round pick, Carr is 47-63 as the Raiders' starting quarterback. He earned three consecutive Pro Bowl selections from 2015-17, and was in the MVP conversation before suffering a season-ending injury 15 games into the 2016 season. Carr went 12-3 as a starter that season while leading the Raiders to the franchise's first playoff appearance since 2002. 

After an underwhelming 2017 season, Carr has enjoyed considerable success under Jon Gruden. In their first season working together, Carr completed nearly 69% of his passes while eclipsing the 4,000-yard barrier for the first time. In 2019, Carr topped the 70% completion mark while throwing 21 touchdowns and just eight interceptions. Last season, Carr again threw for over 4,000 yards while tossing 27 touchdowns against just nine interceptions. Carr's favorite target has been tight end Darren Waller, who last season caught 107 passes for 1,196 yards and nine touchdowns. Carr has also been complemented by running back Josh Jacobs, who was selected to his first Pro Bowl in 2020. 

While Carr will return for his eighth season with the Raiders, the Colts will have a new starting quarterback for a third consecutive season. In Wentz, the Colts are getting a 6-foot-5, 237-pound quarterback with 68 regular-season starts under his belt. Like Carr, Wentz was also on the precipice of winning league MVP before an injury prematurely ended his 2017 season. Wentz endured another injury-marred season in 2018 before becoming the first Eagles' quarterback to throw for 4,000 yards in 2019. He led the Eagles to the playoffs that season before suffering another injury during Philadelphia's wild-card loss to the Seahawks. 

Wentz will be reunited in Indianapolis with coach Frank Reich, who served as Wentz's first offensive coordinator in Philadelphia. The duo will now try to help the Colts move beyond the wild-card round for the first time since 2018. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that the Colts trade for Wentz increases the value of Mariota on the trade market. Sure, it takes a possible suitor off the menu but I never saw the Colts really wanting Mariota though Wentz, in my view, is not measurably better than Mariota, the Reich connection makes sense that they wanted to get him believing Reich can return him to a good starter versus the trash we have seen of late. 

A 3rd and a 2nd that can turn into a 1st helps increase the asking price for Mariota. 

And can the freaking media get off of the whole Carr being traded crap? He isn't going anywhere short of an insane trade that brought in someone better like a Wilson or Watson and the chances of that really happening is less than a percent. It is just football talking heads having not much to talk about until we get closer to the draft. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching the Raiders this year, I dunno why anyone would think Carr was the problem. 

The Raiders couldn't stop anyone all year long. Now, Carr might not put the team on his back, and win games outright, but when your defense is playing like that, and your front office is drafting like that, then cutting draft picks, and the coach is wasting YEARS with defensive coaches without an innovative thought in their heads, I have no issues with Carr. 

I'm as sick and tired of this team and their race to 8-8 as I have been of any Raider team. As sick as I am of seeing Raider castoffs contributing on playoff teams. 

I'm bored with the lack of over-achieving, the close games with garbage teams, the jumping out to big leads, and inevitable inability to keep people from coming back from 17 down. 

There is talent on the team, I'm not seeing any coaching that is getting the best out of anyone. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only reason that I was for the Raiders trading away Carr was to obtain two first round picks to fill some of the many holes on D.    Carr is not the problem but the Raiders need some way to obtain draft capital.   Sticking with Carr and watching a horrible D lose games isn’t the answer.   I would rather swing for the fences with Mariota and two more first round talents.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i was listening to vinny bongsignore yesterday.  and unfortunately, what he said, made a lot of sense, regarding mariota.

the raiders will be lucky to get anything for him.  why?  because the raiders are over the cap, and will have to create cap space somehow.  one of the most obvious ways to do that, is to cut mariota.  10.7M  in his opinion, teams will just wait for the inevitable, mariota being released.  so unless the raiders start making other moves and possibly restructuring some deals, offers for mariota will most likely be pretty slim.

:sadbanana:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

i was listening to vinny bongsignore yesterday.  and unfortunately, what he said, made a lot of sense, regarding mariota.

the raiders will be lucky to get anything for him.  why?  because the raiders are over the cap, and will have to create cap space somehow.  one of the most obvious ways to do that, is to cut mariota.  10.7M  in his opinion, teams will just wait for the inevitable, mariota being released.  so unless the raiders start making other moves and possibly restructuring some deals, offers for mariota will most likely be pretty slim.

:sadbanana:

Meh.... maybe but maybe not. We will really know that answer come March 17th.

But it is easy to fix to that. Cut Williams. Extend Carr. Cut or restructure Brown and then you are well under not to mention other moves. 

Also, this QB carousel is more like musical chairs. There are more teams than there are QB's or at least QB's that you feel you can win with unless teams want some of the QB's available in FA as their starter. Otherwise, they are going to be incented to make a move. 

You all know that I have never seen Mariota as a threat to Carr but he has a wealth of starter experience though he didn't light the league on fire he had moments. His relief time with the Raiders showed a lot that I think would get teams juices going versus a Fitzmagic/Fitztragic or who else? Brissett, Trubiksy, Dalton? All are clearly backups. Winston? Does a HC/OC think they can fix the INT's? Newton is the only one that I would say would be worth a shot at starter (I don't believe the Patriots put him in a position to be successful). Other than that, Mariota looks like a very good option. Now that Wentz is traded.. who else is there that is realistically on the trade block that has value?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

Meh.... maybe but maybe not. We will really know that answer come March 17th.

But it is easy to fix to that. Cut Williams. Extend Carr. Cut or restructure Brown and then you are well under not to mention other moves. 

Also, this QB carousel is more like musical chairs. There are more teams than there are QB's or at least QB's that you feel you can win with unless teams want some of the QB's available in FA as their starter. Otherwise, they are going to be incented to make a move. 

You all know that I have never seen Mariota as a threat to Carr but he has a wealth of starter experience though he didn't light the league on fire he had moments. His relief time with the Raiders showed a lot that I think would get teams juices going versus a Fitzmagic/Fitztragic or who else? Brissett, Trubiksy, Dalton? All are clearly backups. Winston? Does a HC/OC think they can fix the INT's? Newton is the only one that I would say would be worth a shot at starter (I don't believe the Patriots put him in a position to be successful). Other than that, Mariota looks like a very good option. Now that Wentz is traded.. who else is there that is realistically on the trade block that has value?

To speed up the Mariota trade process, Gruden should make the cuts that are inevitable.   Another poster listed two obvious cuts and two probable cuts.  They are all must cuts to me.  Cut Williams, Joyner, Richard, and Incognito.   That’s the first wave.  There are other possible cuts or salary restructures that should follow.  This team needs cap space to fill holes on D.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chadstroma said:

Meh.... maybe but maybe not. We will really know that answer come March 17th.

But it is easy to fix to that. Cut Williams. Extend Carr. Cut or restructure Brown and then you are well under not to mention other moves. 

Also, this QB carousel is more like musical chairs. There are more teams than there are QB's or at least QB's that you feel you can win with unless teams want some of the QB's available in FA as their starter. Otherwise, they are going to be incented to make a move. 

You all know that I have never seen Mariota as a threat to Carr but he has a wealth of starter experience though he didn't light the league on fire he had moments. His relief time with the Raiders showed a lot that I think would get teams juices going versus a Fitzmagic/Fitztragic or who else? Brissett, Trubiksy, Dalton? All are clearly backups. Winston? Does a HC/OC think they can fix the INT's? Newton is the only one that I would say would be worth a shot at starter (I don't believe the Patriots put him in a position to be successful). Other than that, Mariota looks like a very good option. Now that Wentz is traded.. who else is there that is realistically on the trade block that has value?

all good points.  but why would you pay for something, that you can get for free?  brown aint restructuring.  carr is so cheap now, why would they extend him?  especially since gruden knows he has the replacement on the roster already.  peterman.  :D 

washington desperately needs a qb.  they've hired 3 former GMs.  i don't see them over paying for mariota.  the raiders are 19M over the cap.  they still need to sign the incoming rookie class and any FA's.  they need a lot of room.  i'd wait them out, if i wanted mariota.

i hope i'm wrong

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DA RAIDERS said:

i was listening to vinny bongsignore yesterday.  and unfortunately, what he said, made a lot of sense, regarding mariota.

the raiders will be lucky to get anything for him.  why?  because the raiders are over the cap, and will have to create cap space somehow.  one of the most obvious ways to do that, is to cut mariota.  10.7M  in his opinion, teams will just wait for the inevitable, mariota being released.  so unless the raiders start making other moves and possibly restructuring some deals, offers for mariota will most likely be pretty slim.

:sadbanana:

I think Vinny has a point if the situation is looked at in a bubble.  But all front offices know that teams will find a way to work the numbers and get under the cap for the start of the season.  Marcus isn't a guaranteed cut by the Raiders because he is a QB under Gruden (ha!), but jokes aside the Raiders have leverage over Marcus to renegotiate his deal or cut him at no cost.   $0.00 in dead money (traded or cut) in 2021 is only to the benefit of the Raiders right now.  And a $10M cap hit for a QB for 2021 isn't enough to scare away a potential suiter IMO. 

As it stands, Marcus' 2021 hit will be the 19th largest at the QB position across all teams in the NFL.  Just below Brees and just above Mayfield. And isn't the highest none starter (Taysom Hill is at $16M, Alex Smith is at $24.4M). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DA RAIDERS said:

all good points.  but why would you pay for something, that you can get for free?  brown aint restructuring.  carr is so cheap now, why would they extend him?  especially since gruden knows he has the replacement on the roster already.  peterman.  :D 

washington desperately needs a qb.  they've hired 3 former GMs.  i don't see them over paying for mariota.  the raiders are 19M over the cap.  they still need to sign the incoming rookie class and any FA's.  they need a lot of room.  i'd wait them out, if i wanted mariota.

i hope i'm wrong

Then cut Brown. The money can be spent elsewhere. Injuries suck but what concerns me more is the weight gain and he didn't dominate when on the field (as rarely as it was) likely due to the weight. That weight seems to me to echo the rumors of not being all in and/or locker room negative. Gruden would have a better idea of that. 

Why extend Carr? You can make him cheaper in the contract now and lock him up longer where that will just get more expensive the longer you wait. 

Washington doesn't have a lot of options and will need to fight with the 5 or so other teams desperate for a QB upgrade. 

Who wants to be standing when all the chairs are taken?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, kaso said:

I think Vinny has a point if the situation is looked at in a bubble.  But all front offices know that teams will find a way to work the numbers and get under the cap for the start of the season.  Marcus isn't a guaranteed cut by the Raiders because he is a QB under Gruden (ha!), but jokes aside the Raiders have leverage over Marcus to renegotiate his deal or cut him at no cost.   $0.00 in dead money (traded or cut) in 2021 is only to the benefit of the Raiders right now.  And a $10M cap hit for a QB for 2021 isn't enough to scare away a potential suiter IMO. 

As it stands, Marcus' 2021 hit will be the 19th largest at the QB position across all teams in the NFL.  Just below Brees and just above Mayfield. And isn't the highest none starter (Taysom Hill is at $16M, Alex Smith is at $24.4M). 

Mariota contract is more like $20 million if he was a season starter with all the incentives 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

Then cut Brown. The money can be spent elsewhere. Injuries suck but what concerns me more is the weight gain and he didn't dominate when on the field (as rarely as it was) likely due to the weight. That weight seems to me to echo the rumors of not being all in and/or locker room negative. Gruden would have a better idea of that. 

Why extend Carr? You can make him cheaper in the contract now and lock him up longer where that will just get more expensive the longer you wait. 

Washington doesn't have a lot of options and will need to fight with the 5 or so other teams desperate for a QB upgrade. 

Who wants to be standing when all the chairs are taken?

i've been saying to cut brown for months.

not extending carr was a joke.  but he's cheap at 22.1M  he might restructure, extend, but i don't think the team wants to extend him at this point.

who are your 5 teams, that are desperate at qb?  after washington, who needs a qb the most?  

jax?  they will take one in the draft and roll with uncle rico, until whoever they take is ready.

NE? definitely needs one.  but the hoody aint getting played

nyj?  i don't think they pull the plug on darnold yet.  and if they do, they can draft one.

chi?  very possible.  but they look like idiots, for the foles trade

cutting brown, williams, incognito and richard gives then 20.8M in cap room.  with no rookies or FA signings.  those moves also leave a huge hole in the OL.  (pun intended)

mariota has got to come off the books, one way or another.  hate to say it, but i agree with bongsignore 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

i've been saying to cut brown for months.

not extending carr was a joke.  but he's cheap at 22.1M  he might restructure, extend, but i don't think the team wants to extend him at this point.

who are your 5 teams, that are desperate at qb?  after washington, who needs a qb the most?  

jax?  they will take one in the draft and roll with uncle rico, until whoever they take is ready.

NE? definitely needs one.  but the hoody aint getting played

nyj?  i don't think they pull the plug on darnold yet.  and if they do, they can draft one.

chi?  very possible.  but they look like idiots, for the foles trade

cutting brown, williams, incognito and richard gives then 20.8M in cap room.  with no rookies or FA signings.  those moves also leave a huge hole in the OL.  (pun intended)

mariota has got to come off the books, one way or another.  hate to say it, but i agree with bongsignore 

 

I would add the following teams to be in the QB market, whether or not they'd have interest in Mariota is a different conversation:

San Fran
Pittsburgh
Houston (whether the Front Office wants to believe it or not)
Denver 
Philly (Trading Wentz isn't a guaranteed measurement of their belief in Jalen)
Carolina (maybe)
Atlanta

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kaso said:

I would add the following teams to be in the QB market, whether or not they'd have interest in Mariota is a different conversation:

San Fran
Pittsburgh
Houston (whether the Front Office wants to believe it or not)
Denver 
Philly (Trading Wentz isn't a guaranteed measurement of their belief in Jalen)
Carolina (maybe)
Atlanta

all valid.  

i think sf still tries to make jimmy g work

big ben is on the way out for sure

watson will be staying 

denver will not trade with the raiders

philly is an interesting possibility.  

carolina...interesting.  and the new owner is a daniel snyder type.

atlanta has ryan and old man schaub.  lotta draftniks have them taking a qb in the draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Chadstroma said:

After reportedly being told that Carr was not available...

Well, I hope that settles that. If you can get two more years of play from him like last year, I'm fully on board. I didn't think he had a year like 2020 in him anymore. And while I still don't think he can take a team all the way, he proved me wrong once so hopefully he proves me wrong again.

I'm all for cutting Brown unfortunate as it would be. He's only been on the field for 16 of 32 games. That's all you need to know.

But on the flip side, I'd like to keep Williams who's only been on the field for 14 of 32 😉 if they can agree on a reasonable deal. If not, he can go too. Williams and Agholor would make a decent tandem with Renfrow in the slot. Then they can work Ruggs in since he seems nowhere near ready for a full-time job and until the game slows down for Edwards.

And yep Joyner (talent), Incognito (age and alternatives available) and Richards (don't need him) can go. And drop the TEs down from eight to two. 😉

Edited by Ed Wood
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tre Boston might be sn interesting FA addition for starting FS. Played for Bradley in 2017 all 16 games started 15. 79 combined tackles, 56 solo, 23 assists, 1 tackle for loss. 5 INT's and 8 PD's. Had a decent season last year. Could come cheap. Plays that midfield FS in the base cover 3. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

 

NFL General Managers Sound Off on Raiders Derek Carr

Sports Illustrated’s Raider Maven reached out to three NFL management team members for their anonymous assessment of the Las Vegas Raiders Derek Carr.

HONDO S. CARPENTER, SR.

36 MINUTES AGO

HENDERSON, NV – The face of any NFL franchise is the quarterback. He is celebrated in good times and criticized in the down times. That’s the nature of the position.

Such is the plight of Derek Carr, who quarterbacked the Las Vegas Raiders into playoff contention the first half of the 2020 season with a 6-3 start only to see those hopes dissolve with a 2-5 finish.

Raider Maven has been a supporter of Derek Carr, so we reached out to multiple team management members and found three who agreed to share their thoughts anonymously about the Las Vegas quarterback.

“I have been in this business a long time,” the first NFL general manager said. “That is why I can understand the criticism thrown at Derek Carr -- but it doesn’t make it right. Derek Carr wins ball games, he doesn’t lose them for Jon (Gruden) and I don’t think there is any doubt he is a Top 10-caliber quarterback.”

Carr finished 10th in the NFL in passing this season with a career-best 101.4 efficiency rating. He passed for 4,103 yards with 27 touchdowns and only nine interceptions. He threw three touchdowns apiece against Kansas City and New Orleans this season in engineering upsets over both Super Bowl contenders.

“Derek is guilty of being a good quarterback on a team with a bad defense,” the second NFL general manager said. “Give him a decent defense and the Raiders are an entirely different team.”

But Carr doesn’t play defense – and that’s where the criticism should be focused on the Raiders.

Only seven teams allowed more yards than Las Vegas last season and only two allowed more points. Carr led an offense that finished 10th in the NFL in scoring with 434 points, an average of 27.1 points per game. But the Raiders were allowing 29.8 points per game.

“Let’s not pretend he has had great players surrounding him,” the third NFL general manager said. “I remember the talk of him being an MVP when he had players around him. He has those weapons on offense now, but that defense is not good.”

Rick Gosselin, who has covered the NFL for 49 years and has been a Hall of Fame voter based in Dallas for 25 years, compared Carr to another vastly-underrated NFL quarterback.

“I think Derek is the Phil Simms of his era,” Gosselin told Raider Maven. “He has all of the tools that made Phil a terrific quarterback, but he doesn’t have Phil’s defense.”

So Raider Maven asked the three general managers about the Carr-Simms comparison.

“Rick nailed it,” the first GM said. “I agree with that comparison. The biggest difference is that Bill (Parcells) built an elite defense around Phil and the Raiders haven’t.”

The second general manager took it a step further.

“I think Derek is a superior QB with his decision making than Phil…but without the defense,” he said. “Phil had the privilege of a defense that when he was able to take some risks, they could bail him out. Derek’s defense doesn’t bail him out at all, that is why he can’t take as many (chances) unless it is late in the game.”

It’s clear – you can’t assess Derek Carr without defense coming up in the conversation.

“I like comparing Derek to Phil,” the third GM said, “but having had a good view of Phil, I think Derek may be a better quarterback. Both guys were loved by their teammates and solid off the field. Neither guy cost their team's ball games, but Phil slept good at night because of that amazing defense.

“I’m not sure if I was Derek if I could sleep knowing I had to make no mistakes and over-perform in order to win.”

Football is a team game. While Derek Carr is a quality quarterback, respected by the men he competes against, he can’t be expected to have Phil Simms results with this defense.

Raider fans now clamoring for Deshaun Watson forget that in the same predicament as Carr in 2020 – good-not-great weapons around him on offense and a woeful defense – he managed to win only four games with the Texans last season.

The problem with the Raiders is defense, not quarterback. That needs to be the focal point this offseason for general manager Mike Mayock. Fix the defense and Carr will look even better taking the snaps for the Raiders.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yikes, I've lost track over the years of how plugged in Peter King is but if he's even in the ballpark with these Watson trades, my "offer" of Carr, Waller and 2 1s is cheap by comparison. I love Watson but nobody nobody is worth this much (not even Mahomes).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/22/deshaun-watson-trade-texans-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ed Wood said:

Yikes, I've lost track over the years of how plugged in Peter King is but if he's even in the ballpark with these Watson trades, my "offer" of Carr, Waller and 2 1s is cheap by comparison. I love Watson but nobody nobody is worth this much (not even Mahomes).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/22/deshaun-watson-trade-texans-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

geez.... those are crazy in my view. You gut your team to get one player.... he isn't going to win everything for you- he hasn't with the Texans. Even freaking Brady needs to overload his teams with talent to win. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, joey said:

Raiders officially cut WR Ty Williams clearing over $10mil in cap space. 
 

They need to spend EVERY cent on defense. Let’s do this!

I think that gets us about even with cap now in most projections. So.... no spending just yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

I think that gets us about even with cap now in most projections. So.... no spending just yet.

Stop ruining my dreams with things like "reality" and "facts"

 

signed,

flat earther 

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Still 8.5M over.  Lotta work still left to do. 

Cut Carr. I hear that guy's the main problem with this team. 
 

ok, I’ll see myself out. Try the veal...

Edited by joey
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chadstroma said:

It is being reported that the Raiders are one of the few teams Wilson would be willing to be traded to. But what would it take to make that trade happen? Too costly? Likely. 

I don’t know.  This feels like all the other "a QB is available? Let’s put the Raiders on the list of possible interested teams".
It plays right into the constant drum beat of "everyone says Carr is Gruden's guy and he's playing really well but....is he really?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chadstroma said:

It is being reported that the Raiders are one of the few teams Wilson would be willing to be traded to. But what would it take to make that trade happen? Too costly? Likely. 

Way too costly for a team with a ton of holes

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, joey said:

Raiders officially cut WR Ty Williams clearing over $10mil in cap space.

I don’t agree with cutting Williams but I understand it. Shows they have faith in the guys who saw the field last year. Makes signing Agholor or somebody of his ilk a priority though IMO.

Now, for the same reason, cut Brown. Have faith in the guys who saw the field last year.

I still don’t think they should cut Mariota. Everybody is talking about the cost. Carr and Mariota COMBINED cost less than Mahomes and Watson and they're within $3 million of five other guys (Wilson, Roethlisberger, Goff, Rodgers and Cousins).

You don’t cut him for that reason alone.

And you don’t cut him or trade him at all if all you have is is Nathan Peterman as a back up. In fact, you surround him with plexiglass to prevent injury.

If they do cut/trade Mariota and Peterman is then the No. 2 guy, we’re all chipping in for a plane ticket and we’re sending Chad to Vegas so he can be the back-up quarterback. He’ll be an upgrade for sure.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, joey said:

I don’t know.  This feels like all the other "a QB is available? Let’s put the Raiders on the list of possible interested teams".
It plays right into the constant drum beat of "everyone says Carr is Gruden's guy and he's playing really well but....is he really?"

I don't think so... I have seen reports supposedly from his agent that listed a few teams such as the Cowboys, Bears, Saints and us and then another report from someone in Wilson's camp (whatever that means) that listed a few teams and the Raiders were again mentioned. I am not sure why the Bears but apparently his big gripe is getting hit. Not surprising that the Cowboys and the Raiders who have some of the better OL's are on that list. The Saint's aren't bad either. Not sure why the Bears though. 

I mean, you know I love Carr. I would venture a guess I have been the biggest advocate and supporter on this board regardless of how many of you foo's ganged up against me. Carr IS a top 10 QB. But Wilson is a top 5 QB (heck, early last year he was THE best QB in the league) in my view. If you can make that trade without the cost being detrimental to your team... you do it. I don't think that the cost would make sense to us though. I have seen it thrown out Carr and two 1's. NO THANK YOU. Keep Carr and fix the D. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ed Wood said:

I don’t agree with cutting Williams but I understand it. Shows they have faith in the guys who saw the field last year. Makes signing Agholor or somebody of his ilk a priority though IMO.

Now, for the same reason, cut Brown. Have faith in the guys who saw the field last year.

I still don’t think they should cut Mariota. Everybody is talking about the cost. Carr and Mariota COMBINED cost less than Mahomes and Watson and they're within $3 million of five other guys (Wilson, Roethlisberger, Goff, Rodgers and Cousins).

You don’t cut him for that reason alone.

And you don’t cut him or trade him at all if all you have is is Nathan Peterman as a back up. In fact, you surround him with plexiglass to prevent injury.

If they do cut/trade Mariota and Peterman is then the No. 2 guy, we’re all chipping in for a plane ticket and we’re sending Chad to Vegas so he can be the back-up quarterback. He’ll be an upgrade for sure.

It would be hard to keep Williams. I really like him and I think he can do very well if healthy but after two years of not being on the field and that price tag for a guy who isn't "transformational" it is hard to keep him. Like I was saying before was that he was a GREAT #2 guy but a questionable #1 and after AB had his mental break down that was what as asked of him before he got hurt and when he came back he didn't seem the same and we didn't have him at all last year. I do think that they believe in Ruggs/Edwards making significant strides for next year but maybe that is because I believe it? 

I am mostly with you on Brown but it is a swing thing for me and that swing all goes to does the team believe he is really into playing football and for the Raiders or isn't he? If he is, I want to figure out a way to keep him on because when playing, he is dominant on that right side and it a difference maker. But if he has no passion and balloons in size and will sit out because he doesn't feel good... forget it. Cut him and use that money elsewhere. 

For Mariota.... play chicken with the teams that need a QB. Hell, see if he would take an extension and restructure (being trade friendly) if not for anything else than for the future to tell teams we will figure out a way to keep good players and if you want them, trade with us. No getting them out of FA for nothing. 

I am ready coach! Put me in! I was getting some reps in before it got too cold with my 7 year old running go and out routes, as soon as the snow melts we will get some more in! I will be all good until that first hit takes out my brittle left knee and will need a plane ticket back home from you guys. 

Edited by Chadstroma
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Chadstroma said:

For Mariota.... play chicken with the teams that need a QB. Hell, see if he would take an extension and restructure (being trade friendly) if not for anything else than for the future to tell teams we will figure out a way to keep good players and if you want them, trade with us. No getting them out of FA for nothing.

Totally agree. Teams with perceived or real QB needs like NE and Wash hold more cards now because Week 1 is so far away and the draft is ahead. As that time grinds down, the pressure heats up. Then would probably be the ultimate time to deal Mariota if they're gonna do it.

The Raiders stance is or at least should be, hey, this was the No. 2 pick in the draft just six years ago. The other teams' stance is, hey, you got him for nothing. To which the Raiders should reply, pretty smart, huh, and then issue a middle finger salute.

And if Mariota agrees to a restructure (has this even been talked about?) even better. You'd think he'd be open to that if he's looking for a full-time gig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally, I've had some time lately to dig into this year's draft class. Now, I don't proclaim to be a draft expert by any means, this is just for fun. Most of my information gathering comes from watching YouTube highlights and reading "experts" mock drafts.  And most importantly, following Gruden and Mayock's every move in the offseason the past couple years. I really try to examine the team's needs and the reasons behind the picks. I had a gut feeling about Ruggs being the pick last year so I'm going to try my luck again this year.

DISCLAIMER- This is before free agency begins so my 1st round pick is based on the hopes the Raiders are big players in free agency on the defensive side of the ball. My thoughts are the defense is so young already, with lots of draft capital investments, Mayock and Gruden are going to want to get some vets who can come in right away and make an impact. Players like Ingram and Hooker come to mind. I know Bradley wants a pass rusher and Ingram makes sense. And from what I'm reading, I don't see any elite pass rushers in this year's draft. 

Which leads me to my (probably) unpopular 1st round pick. Remember the Lynn Bowden fiasco? How can we forget right? Well Gruden still wants his Swiss army knife. And he's going to flex on Mayock and make an executive decision and draft KADARIUS TONEY. 

I know, I know! They need defense help in the worst way. Everyone knows it. But Gruden and Mayock have proven they don't care what everyone else thinks. They have the players they like and they're going to stay put and draft them.

Before bashing this pick, watch some Toney highlights and envision him in a Raider uniform. Especially if they have to let Jalen Richard go. Toney will also fill those PR duties. Just sayin', this is the Raiders. You all know expect the unexpected. You heard it here first.

Edited by Bruno2
Grammar
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

That would be a horrible pick.   

I don't disagree. But its Grudens world and it would not surprise one bit. Ideally I like an athletic LB like Owusu-Kamorah or Zaven Coliins. Parsons, Barmore and Paye will probably be gone by pick #17

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bruno2 said:

I don't disagree. But its Grudens world and it would not surprise one bit. Ideally I like an athletic LB like Owusu-Kamorah or Zaven Coliins. Parsons, Barmore and Paye will probably be gone by pick #17

As an outside observer I would think defensive picks would help Raiders more, so this I can agree with more so than Toney. If you could get something in trade for Mariotta, that would be great. Building that defense is what is needed, IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Hankmoody changed the title to ☠ ☠ ☠ Official 2021 Las Vegas Raiders thread ☠ ☠ ☠ - only 3.5 more months of talking about draft reaches until real football arrives

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...