What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (7 Viewers)

Some random comments I caught during the Mike Mayock Facebook Live session this afternoon:

None of these are direct quotes. 

• Being at 17 means you need to be willing to move up to get a guy slipping or be flexible to drop out if value isn't there at 17.  Need to be nimble. 
  • @ RT, excited about Jaryd Jones-Smith (recent signing)
  • Wants to be able to take best player available, but aware of needs.  
  • Energized by changes made to the OL.  See's Kolton Miller as a cornerstone. Happy to show the team they want to resign their own players.  Thinks that Andre James can compete at center.  Excited with what the OL room looks like.  Respects players who have left, but made a conscious decision to get younger and a bit more athletic. 
  • Doesn't like the zoom meetings, would rather have time to meet the kids.  Happy to have been able to partake in pro-days.  No medicals like years past with combine visits, medical grades are still trickling in. 
  • Thought Heath did a good job at FS last year, but always looking for competition.  FS talent available in first 3 rounds in the draft. 
  • When asked about College Opt Outs, he said each case is different.  Some were forced in to opt-outs (Pack 10, for example).  Lots of complexities with students who had may have hired an agent thinking they wouldn't be returning to college football. 
  • Getting fans into the stands is important.  Wants home field advantage.  
  • Recruiting and gathering information from small schools has gotten harder over the last 2 years due to covid. 
  • Have made a conscious effort to get faster on D. 
  • Really missing the 30 visits (30 players into your building for a day each).
Good nuggets there. Reading into that....

Don't get locked in on a OL selection which I think would be logical choice to fill that RT where it is harder to find a starter outside of the 1st where as FS you can find someone in the later. Those, to me at least, are are two major areas of need. Someone like Parsons might get taken if they value him. Speaking of wanting to get faster on D.... if Parsons is available, how can we pass him if we want to get faster? The dude has speed and burst. I think he would be a good fit and could fill roles at WILL, SAM and LEO at times in Bradley's system similar to how Ingram was moved around and though I really wanted to bring Morrow back, he would be an upgrade over him for sure and Morrow would add instant depth and rotational work. I would feel very good about our LB then. Search for a OL in the 2nd and then hopefully a FS in the 3rd. Go with whatever we possibly get BPA on the rest. 

Good nuggets there. Reading into that....

Don't get locked in on a OL selection which I think would be logical choice to fill that RT where it is harder to find a starter outside of the 1st where as FS you can find someone in the later. Those, to me at least, are are two major areas of need. Someone like Parsons might get taken if they value him. Speaking of wanting to get faster on D.... if Parsons is available, how can we pass him if we want to get faster? The dude has speed and burst. I think he would be a good fit and could fill roles at WILL, SAM and LEO at times in Bradley's system similar to how Ingram was moved around and though I really wanted to bring Morrow back, he would be an upgrade over him for sure and Morrow would add instant depth and rotational work. I would feel very good about our LB then. Search for a OL in the 2nd and then hopefully a FS in the 3rd. Go with whatever we possibly get BPA on the rest. 
this.  times a million.  OL and DB are deep this draft.  i have zero faith in gruden to so.

Couple things I took away from Mayock's presser:

He looked sick (constantly rubbing his nose), tired and stressed out. He's definitely feeling the pressure.

He said you gotta be able to have guys who can "run" on defense. I hope that's a clue they're targeting guys like Parsons, JOK and Collins.

I don't think they will draft a FS at 17 but I will bet by round 3 they will draft one.

Trying to predict what the Raiders will do during the draft is like trying to predict the next earthquake, who knows... But when it happens, it's always a shock. Am I hoping for the best, logical choice? Yeah,  but I'm also prepared for the crazy Jon Gruden Kadarius Toney pick as well. 

Did anyone have us taking Ruggs and Arnette last year? 
So, you weren’t just poking the hornets nest?  This was an actual question?  🧐

lamb/juedy were consensus 1a,1b. Ruggs was 2nd to both of those.  There was a chance that one of juedy/lamb would fall to the raiders.   A very slim chance, both would. They took old spice. 🙄🙄🙄

part of me believes that Gruden panicked. I think he did most of his research on ruggs, as the most likely wr to be there, at that pick.  When faced with all 3, he maybe tried to trade the pick, and was rejected.  Time ran short, and he went with “his” guy. Either something like that, or he’s just the blathering idiot, that I think he is

Arnette was projected as a day 2 guy. They had no day 2 picks. So reached for a positional need, rather than go bpa. 

Thanks for making relive that again. 👍

So, you weren’t just poking the hornets nest?  This was an actual question?  🧐

lamb/juedy were consensus 1a,1b. Ruggs was 2nd to both of those.  There was a chance that one of juedy/lamb would fall to the raiders.   A very slim chance, both would. They took old spice. 🙄🙄🙄

part of me believes that Gruden panicked. I think he did most of his research on ruggs, as the most likely wr to be there, at that pick.  When faced with all 3, he maybe tried to trade the pick, and was rejected.  Time ran short, and he went with “his” guy. Either something like that, or he’s just the blathering idiot, that I think he is

Arnette was projected as a day 2 guy. They had no day 2 picks. So reached for a positional need, rather than go bpa. 

Thanks for making relive that again. 👍
:lmao:  

It was a real question but for two reasons: 1) I didn't know the answer for sure but couldn't remember anyone saying the Raiders were going to go Ruggs and Arnette. 2) To point out that really past 1.01 all the speculation increasingly gets useless with each pick. This year, it is a pretty safe bet it goes Lawrence, QB, QB and QB but after that.... most guesses are not worth much. Trades, unexpected picks or non-picks etc always wreck what most people think will happen. 

https://am.ticketmaster.com/allegianttours/#/

So Allegiant Stadium Tours are now open to the public. The tickets are through Ticket Master so you're going to need to create an account with them. 

The Team Store at the Stadium is Humongous with a great selection. That's the only thing open to the public now.  I'm doing the Stadium Tour on April 25th.
So I did the stadium tour day.  The tour was very comprehensive,  lockers, luxury boxes, field, lounges, torch, etc.  Well worth the $75 cost. You can get in cheaper but we paid extra to hang out after the  tour. Total tour time was approx.1:15. 

Peter King has us taking Caleb Farley at #17. Would be fine with me.

There's medical stuff, but if we want a player worth #17, if not more, feels like it's gonna be an EDGE or CB.  With Yannick, EDGE feels like no shot at #17.  

Peter King has us taking Caleb Farley at #17. Would be fine with me.

There's medical stuff, but if we want a player worth #17, if not more, feels like it's gonna be an EDGE or CB.  With Yannick, EDGE feels like no shot at #17.  
imho, they have thrown too many high picks, recently,  into the secondary, to do it again this year.  my hope is LB or OL

I want the best player available, I think Farley is better than any LB not named Parsons, and probably any OL that is there.  
Acl and 2 back surgeries. Too much of a gamble at 17. So a very likely scenario!

we will have to google the players in the secondary by week 6. 🤣

and they still only have 4 LB, that have played an NFL snap. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok... Draft Week is here.  Time to put your name against a player/prediction for Friday bragging rights. 

Here's mine:

In the first round the Las Vegas Raiders trade Pick # 17 to the Pittsburgh Steelers.  Compensation of the trade to be announced at a later time.
Pittsburgh trades up to draft the last of the top 5 QBs available at 17.
With Pick 24 in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Las Vegas Raiders select S Trevon Moehrig.

Taking a hint from Mayock's last presser, "we need guys on defense who can run". 

JOK at #17 

Would also be very happy with Parsons sliding. 

The key is to predict what you don't what happening, so that you lose this little contest, but the team gets a player you want.   :stirspot:

Raiders do NOT move down, take Trevon Moehrig at 17.  

JoK or tevon Jenkins

hearing rumblings about JoK playing safety. Gruden loves that ####.  To me, he is the pick. 

so probably Kadarious toney.

SDJohnny said:
So I did the stadium tour day.  The tour was very comprehensive,  lockers, luxury boxes, field, lounges, torch, etc.  Well worth the $75 cost. You can get in cheaper but we paid extra to hang out after the  tour. Total tour time was approx.1:15. 
nice to see a fan be a real fan.

kudos.

No, since most draft predictions use logic.  Horrible picks that still annoys me. Lamb was the pick!!!   It was so obvious.   
I was throwing things at the TV when they took Ruggs.   CeeDee Lamb is going to be an absolute stud.    Dallas didn't give him #88 for nothing.  

HENDERSON, Nev. – The Las Vegas Raiders have signed free agent TE Carson Williams, the club announced Monday.

Williams, a 6-foot-5, 240-pound tight end, joins the Silver and Black for his first NFL season. He played basketball for two years (2016-17) at Northern Kentucky before transferring to Western Kentucky for his remaining three collegiate seasons (2018-20).

Williams played forward, appearing in 124 combined contests over four years while making 117 starts. He averaged 11.2 points per game, 5.9 rebounds and 1.3 assists during his college career. A native of Owenton, Ky., Williams was named Kentucky's Mr. Basketball as a senior in 2016 after averaging 26.3 points and 10.7 rebounds per game. He scored 2,967 points over his high school career and collected 1,671 rebounds, the fifth-highest total in Kentucky history.

15. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame (6-foot-2, 221 pounds)
A versatile performer, Owusu-Koramoah has remarkable speed and closing burst to blitz, mirror and cover, carrying tight ends or wide receivers across the field. He creates explosive force as a tackler but needs continued work with his finishing skills and play recognition. Overall, Owusu-Koramoah will have his share of undisciplined plays, but his one-step explosion, playmaking range and intelligence give his coaches flexibility to deploy him at linebacker, safety or nickel. He projects as a high-ceiling, chess-piece defender.
If JOK is coachable and intelligent maybe the team should consider him as a hybrid Free Safety / Nickel Backer. 

But this is the Alpha defender that I want this year for the Raiders. I think Horn would not only come in and dominate the CB corps from go, but he could also flip the cart and cause Arnette and Mullin to improve, making a young and potentially elite threesome at rookie wages for the next few years.

14. Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina (6-foot-1, 205 pounds)
With his length and athleticism, Horn matches up well vs. size and he shows more ownership for the catch point than most receivers, displaying improved route recognition the last three seasons. While his aggressive nature is a strength to his game, it also works against him at times – he is the type of corner who immediately finds the official after each play to make sure no flags were thrown (five penalties in seven games in 2020). Overall, Horn needs to refine his discipline and finishing skills, but he is a long, agile athlete with outstanding instincts, bloodlines and competitive mentality. He projects as an NFL starting press-man corner in the Aqib Talib mold.
Either way, I want to see an instant-impact elite-level defender come of this first pick for the Raiders. Definitely possible, given the QB frenzy, just a matter of playing the right cards and/or getting lucky with how the board unfolds.

I wouldn't hate on an elite-level RT either, if they see one - but he better turn into another Miller! ... As if I have any right to make Raider demands from the Draft gods - they've ignored me for decades!!

Worse, this probably means Denver is not drafting a QB and could take a player on D.   Less for LV to choose from.   Bridgewater doesn’t scare me.   He is not much more than a game manager.  
Or it could be a cheap smokescreen to make teams think they now will pass on QB, so they don't jump ahead of them for whichever QB falls. At the same time you get a vet to start year 1, if the rookie needs some break-in.

Or it could be a cheap smokescreen to make teams think they now will pass on QB, so they don't jump ahead of them for whichever QB falls. At the same time you get a vet to start year 1, if the rookie needs some break-in.
It only cost them a 6th and Carolina is eating some of the contract money too. If they believe, like I do, that Lock is not an NFL starting QB... this would make sense. You get Bridgewater who can perform better than Lock and you can draft one of the more developmental QB's that you can have sit behind Bridgewater and even Lock and learn. 

Worse, this probably means Denver is not drafting a QB and could take a player on D.   Less for LV to choose from.   Bridgewater doesn’t scare me.   He is not much more than a game manager.  
Bridgewater doesn't scare me but they have weapons on offense that can make a QB like him perform very well and they still have a good defense too. I would be much more comfortable with Lock at the helm. 

Saints want to trade up, for Farley maybe?

Value chart-wise, their 1st and 2nd fits neatly together for #17.  
28 is a little low.  but there would probably be a pretty damn good OL there.  and then go D with both picks in the 2nd.  i'll have to think on it... :D   let's see who's available at 17.

If the Raiders stay put at #17, I'd be happy with one of the following players:

Front 7 difference maker: Parsons, JOK, Collins. I could live with Paye I guess.

RTs: Darrisaw, Jenkins, Vera-Tucker, Mayfield.

What will probably happen.... Gruden falls in love with Kadarius Toney's skill set and drafts him. Overriding all common sense and all of Mayock's hard work. 

Mayock won't make a move until the draft is going and see how things shape up. He has expresses his willingness to move up if a player they want falls or stay put or move down if they can and like the value versus options. 

I think JOK is gone, the pick is Zaven Collins with Jabril Cox as a wildcard.

edit; It might be Collins regardless.  He's a perfect fit for the LEO that Gus runs and can play Mike as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread