What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (2 Viewers)

Silver Minings: Darius Still named Raiders’ best undrafted free-agent

The DT from West Virginia is a name to keep an eye on

By BlakeHarris

Every year, hundreds of players sign with teams as undrafted free-agents. Most of them never really make it in the NFL, but every year there are a few exceptions. Hopefully the Raiders were able to get a couple of decent ones who can have themselves NFL careers.

Bleacher Report listed the best UDFA from every team, saying the Raiders’ best was defensive tackle, Darius Stills.

The Raiders have worked relentlessly to improve their pass-rush this offseason, splurging on free agent Yannick Ngakoue and drafting Malcolm Koonce in the third round to add a developmental prospect to the rotation.

With the edge shored up, Las Vegas can look to address its pressure rate via the interior. Darius Stills jumps out as an undrafted rookie who could not only make the roster but also contribute early.

The West Virginia product put up impressive numbers in Morgantown, accumulating 9.5 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss over the last two seasons. More impressively, that production primarily came from the nose tackle position.

While Stills almost certainly didn’t get drafted because of his build (6’0”, 278 lbs), he has proved he can hang in the trenches and has the athleticism to make up for the lack of heft. He should dominate against the run and can get into the backfield to disrupt against bigger offensive lineman.

Like I mentioned, the odds of an UDFA making an impact are slim. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc is biased against smaller WRs.... and prob fair to say Raider WRs in general. 
I am not biased against the Raider WRs.   I am underwhelmed by the group.   None of the WRs bring much to the table.  That being said, Brown is talented and could be the WR1 for the Raiders.  That depends on how many games he misses due to injury.  

My point was that Brown and Ruggs are interchangeable and will likely play the same role.  Not sure which other WR will be starting opposite Brown. Maybe Gruden just throws the names of the other WRs in a hat.  

I am not biased against the Raider WRs.   I am underwhelmed by the group.   None of the WRs bring much to the table.  That being said, Brown is talented and could be the WR1 for the Raiders.  That depends on how many games he misses due to injury.  

My point was that Brown and Ruggs are interchangeable and will likely play the same role.  Not sure which other WR will be starting opposite Brown. Maybe Gruden just throws the names of the other WRs in a hat.  
:lmao:   :pokey:

this is correct.  

i see a majority of sets being:  brown/ruggs, edwards/jones , waller.   sometimes it will be ruggs and brown, with the idea to throw underneath to waller or a rb.

3 wr sets: add renfrow/snead in the slot.  occasionally i think we'll see brown/ruggs in the slot, with the other one split wide.

The wife allowed my son to sign up for football at school for 3rd grade (she was doing a hard stop on that before). 

Signing him up and he had to put his request his jersey numbers. He wants 11, 28 and 4. (Ruggs, Jacobs and Carr) He loves fast stuff so Ruggs was his first choice without doubt. 

Raiders sign Patrick Omameh

The Raiders added another offensive lineman to the roster as they head into Phase Three of their offseason workouts.

They announced the signing of guard Patrick Omameh on Monday. It’s a second tour with Las Vegas for Omameh as he spent time with the team last year as well.

Omameh signed to their practice squad in September and played six games before being dropped from the roster in December. He was claimed off of waivers by the Saints and then landed with the Chiefs after being waived again. He started Week 17 for the Chiefs and then reverted to their practice squad.

Prior to last season, Omameh played for the Saints, Giants, Jaguars, Bears, and Buccaneers.

Hoping for some seasoned sal-mon this year!

“I just tried to build my body back up,” Abram said. “Last offseason was a struggle for me coming off the shoulder injury. So, this year I stayed around the facility a lot. I’ve been with our strength coach A.J. (Neibel) every single day. Him and Deuce (Gruden), those guys have been tremendous.”

He said he is back to 100 percent. No, wait …

“More than 100 percent, honestly,” Abram said. “I’m as strong as I’ve ever been, so for me that’s the biggest thing. Just preparing my body for these 17 weeks that we have to go through.”

And yes, he knows he will need to be mentally stronger as well. (Thanks fans, for all of the reminders on social media.)

“Just being more consistent,” he said. “Playing under control, not really taking that many wild hits, getting myself knocked out of the game, hurting my own body … being disciplined. Just constantly doing my job (and) filling my grade sheet out with pluses every single day.

Hoping for some seasoned sal-mon this year!
Saw another article about him talking about a more defined role amd one that fits his skills better (which I have been saying since we hired Gus). 

I have no doubt we will see great strides by the defense as a whole this year. Much improvement and we didn't need that much more from them to have had a playoff year.

Saw another article about him talking about a more defined role amd one that fits his skills better (which I have been saying since we hired Gus). 

I have no doubt we will see great strides by the defense as a whole this year. Much improvement and we didn't need that much more from them to have had a playoff year.
Grudock's defensive picks have been widely panned here and across the interwebs. But the reality is that those opinions are based on a 2019 class who were rookies, then Covid 2nd yrs and a 2020 class of Covid rookies. And both classes were under the stewardship of hapless Guenther.

Ferrell, Abram, Mullen, Crosby, Johnson, Arnette, Muse, Robertson, Moehrig, Koonce, Diablo, Gillespie, Hobbs + UDFAs Javin White, Darius Stills

12 of those 15 names were drafted in the first four rounds; and the only one I don't feel optimism towards heading into this season is Muse. There's room for some renewed optimism here for this wide swath of 2019-21 young Raider defenders *IF* Gus Brad proves a competent DC.

Grudock's defensive picks have been widely panned here and across the interwebs. But the reality is that those opinions are based on a 2019 class who were rookies, then Covid 2nd yrs and a 2020 class of Covid rookies. And both classes were under the stewardship of hapless Guenther.

Ferrell, Abram, Mullen, Crosby, Johnson, Arnette, Muse, Robertson, Moehrig, Koonce, Diablo, Gillespie, Hobbs + UDFAs Javin White, Darius Stills

12 of those 15 names were drafted in the first four rounds; and the only one I don't feel optimism towards heading into this season is Muse. There's room for some renewed optimism here for this wide swath of 2019-21 young Raider defenders *IF* Gus Brad proves a competent DC.
The biggest complaint for the D last year was players consistently out of position. I saw a lot of reacting and chasing. It seems due both to a complicated system and bad game planning/installs. 

If there is a knock on Gus it is hus system is too simple by playing cover 3 all the time (which I have seen data that points to that being an unfair accusation). 

I think guys like Littleton (who has shown he can play at a high level in this league) and Abram (who obviously is very talented) were not being used well and more importantly played confused. I really like some of our additions on D too. I think Solomon Thomas will surprise this year and Yannick should perform as advertised. 

And I am a broken record on this but Cle is MUCH better than given credit fir because of not racking up.the sexy sack numbers but PFF ranks him #16 edge player in the league because of him doing everything very well. 

And both classes were under the stewardship of hapless Guenther.

The biggest complaint for the D last year was players consistently out of position. I saw a lot of reacting and chasing. It seems due both to a complicated system and bad game planning/installs. 

If there is a knock on Gus it is hus system is too simple by playing cover 3 all the time (which I have seen data that points to that being an unfair accusation).

Debbie Downer here to say that I'm not super optimistic  since Gruden hired both D coaches, so why does his last mistake somehow lead to a better choice this time?

Ok, I am a little optimistic. That's just the 44 year Raider fan neurosis talking...

NFL.com has an article on the best deep passers for 2020 using analytics. Carr is ranked #2
I read the piece.  Carr did have a really good year and did throw deep well, but they cherry picked which analytics to use and there was some manipulation at work here.  Mahomes didn't make the top 10 and Daniel Jones was #1.  

If you decide to write an article about the top 10 deep passers and the metrics you choose produce a list that leaves Mahomes out and has Daniel Jones at 1 you should probably re-examine the metrics you are using.

I read the piece.  Carr did have a really good year and did throw deep well, but they cherry picked which analytics to use and there was some manipulation at work here.  Mahomes didn't make the top 10 and Daniel Jones was #1.  

If you decide to write an article about the top 10 deep passers and the metrics you choose produce a list that leaves Mahomes out and has Daniel Jones at 1 you should probably re-examine the metrics you are using.
Ok, so what metrics should have been used? Put together a counter piece, not opinion but using metrics. 

Ok, so what metrics should have been used? Put together a counter piece, not opinion but using metrics. 
I don't have access to all the metrics or the want to try to figure all that out.  My comment wasn't a knock on Carr.  He was really good throwing deep last year.  Seemed like the reason Mahomes was left off the list was that he was throwing to open receivers.  I care more about if a guy is attempting and completing deep passes not about the amount of separation the receivers have.  That would seem to be the most important thing to start with and should carry the most weight.  I didn't think it was a very good piece.  If I started writing counter articles to everything I read that I don't like I'd be unemployed.

kaso said:
I was today years' old when I learned that the guy who played the role of Sloth in The Goonies also played for the Raiders for 6 years of his NFL career.  
Along with Carl Weathers and Howie, possibly, who else got on the big screen from the Raiders?

Along with Carl Weathers and Howie, possibly, who else got on the big screen from the Raiders?
Nnamdi Asomugha went on to the big screen as well.... 
Bob Golic, went on to being a host on ESPN, so not directly 'big screen' so to speak. 
Bubba Smith of Police Academy fame..

And how could we forget Lyle Alzado starring in "Learning the Ropes"

As a Raider fan I'm really going to appreciate Charles Woodson's induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year. He's the only contemporary (90s, 00s, 10s) Raider worthy of the honor. Other than Cliff Branch, I see a long drought ahead.

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-black-hole-plus/trevon-moehrig-tcu-football-las-vegas-raiders-trayvon-mullen-darren-waller

The Las Vegas Raiders rookie safety Tre'von Moehrig could be the next great defensive back to wear the beloved Silver and Black.

TOM LAMARRE JUL 6, 2021

There is a belief within the Las Vegas Raiders that rookie Tre’von Moehrig could one day rank with the best safeties who have played for the Silver and Black.

That’s saying a mouthful, considering that the Raiders’ legacy on the last line of defense includes the likes of Charles Woodson, Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson, Jack Tatum, Dave Grayson, George Atkinson, Mike Davis, and Vann McElroy.

Both Woodson and Lott are in the Hall of Fame, and there are those who believe Tatum and Grayson, who played in the American Football League days during the 1960s, also should be enshrined in Canton, Ohio.

After watching Moehrig play in OTAs and mini-camp, General Manager Mike Mayock said the former TCU All-American is the “prototype” free safety for new defensive coordinator Gus Bradley’s system.

“Moehrig brings some much-needed playmaking ability in coverage to the Raiders’ secondary, but it remains to be seen how he fits in Gus Bradley’s defense after playing in a split-field safety defense at TCU,” according to Pro Football Focus. There’s reason to believe he can have success as a single-high safety with his size, smarts, and explosiveness.”

That the 6-2, 202-pound Moehrig, who earned the 2020 Jim Thorpe Award as the top defensive back in college football last season as a junior before deciding to turn pro, wound up with the Raiders was basically a stroke of good luck.

Moehrig was projected to be a first-round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, possibly the first defensive back off the board, but reports of a back injury surfaced on his pro day and his stock slipped.

When Moehrig, a two-time All-Big 12 Conference selection, slid into the second round, the Raiders traded up and grabbed him with the 43rd overall pick.

Moehrig was one person who was not surprised.

“We had multiple interviews, conversations, talked to Coach (Jon) Gruden, talked to the whole defensive staff, and they just told me they needed a safety and they were planning to come get me,” Moehrig said after being selected.

“I’m super excited. I’m pumped. My back is safe, and I’m pumped to be a Raider.”

In three seasons, at TCU, Moehrig recorded 124 total tackles, including 4½ for losses, forced two fumbles, recovered one, and intercepted seven passes that he returned for 90 yards.

His new teammates saw those skills and were impressed during OTAs and mini-camp.

“I feel like he’s going to be really talented,” said veteran cornerback Trayvon Mullen, who figures Moehrig will be starting with him in the Raiders secondary. “He practices hard, he goes through his drills really well. I like the way he approaches practice.

“I feel like he’s going to be a real good player for us as long as he just keeps his mentality up and keeps going hard every day. Tre’ is doing very well. I’m happy for him. … And the way he’s approaching every day, it’s like he’s ready and prepared.”

Added tight end Darren Waller, who went against Moehrig in workouts: “Tre’von has a very calm nature about him. He doesn’t really get too flustered or all over the place or out of control. He seems very dialed in and on top of what he’s doing.”

Moehrig also got his off-the-field business done recently when he signed his four-year rookie contract with the Raiders.

Like everything else since joining the Raiders, he was excited about it.

“It’s crazy, it’s a blessing,” said Moehrig, who seems to have fit right in with the Silver and Black. “I woke up today with a big smile on my face, just thanking God and my family for everything they’ve put into me to help me get here.

“We’re developing fast. We’re creating bonds already. ... Great group of guys who love to work and want to find time to hang out outside of football so we can get to know each other more, so overall everybody in the rookie class has been great.

“I’m looking forward to this season and the years to come.”

Raider Nation should enjoy it, too.

I pray Moehrig lives up to the hype ...could be the key cog getting this Defense to a level of respectability 

Love that the Raiders got the Outland and Thorpe winners from last year. Doesn't mean these guys will be ballers in the NFL, but it does mean they were ballers at the highest levels of college FB in 2020. Stark against the DHB picks of years past.

It would be nice if they can finally hit on a safety draft pick. They've been swinging and missing on safeties since, I don't know, the 90s.
Abram will have marked improvement this year in play. 

I do believe we will see Abram/Moehrig being a very good with potential to be great young safety group.

I think most returning players will improve their play on defense. One player I am unsure of is Arnette but a healthy Hayward with gas in the tank means it will not matter. Whether Hobbs or Robertson can step up onto that slot role is the other big question. We know what Lawson is so if he is our slot corner then that will definitely be our weak spot. 

Kirby Wilson just retired. We have a hole at RB coach now right before camp. 

Timing wise this makes me think that either something happened to make him unhappy... unlikely to me as this is his second go around with Gruden or what I think is more likely some health issues. Wish the best for him. 

How do we fill this role now?

Timing wise this makes me think that either something happened to make him unhappy... unlikely to me as this is his second go around with Gruden or what I think is more likely some health issues. Wish the best for him. 

Initial gut feel without any proof or information to go on... Marcel Reece is hired. 

that's extremely odd.  i hope it's not health related.  any other reason, just points to more disfunction in the organization.  

that's extremely odd.  i hope it's not health related.  any other reason, just points to more disfunction in the organization.  
I think pointing to disfunction is highly unlikely. There has been zero even rumors about unhappiness among the org. This was Kirby's second time being in staff with Gruden. 

I think pointing to disfunction is highly unlikely. There has been zero even rumors about unhappiness among the org. This was Kirby's second time being in staff with Gruden. 
:shrug:   my opinion on gruden is well documented.   i hope i'm wrong about the dysfunction.  the hudson trade and now this, doesn't point to stability.  but, wtf do i know?   :shrug:  

Raiders president Marc Badain resigns; Dan Ventrelle named interim president

Published: Jul 19, 2021 at 08:00 PM

Around the NFL Staff

nfl.com

Marc Badain first worked for the Raiders as a summer intern when the team was still in Los Angeles. About three decades later he played an instrumental role in the organization's relocation to Las Vegas.

On Monday, the Raiders announced Badain has resigned as team president.

"Today I have accepted Marc Badain's resignation as President of the Las Vegas Raiders," Raiders owner Mark Davis said in a statement. "Marc has been an integral part of the Raider Family for 30 years. Rising from a training camp driver to president of the entire organization. His efforts in helping to build the most magnificent stadium in the sports and entertainment capital of the world will never be forgotten. I wish Marc, his wife Amy, daughter Ali, and sons Bernie and Zach all the best in whatever the future holds. Once a Raider always a Raider."

Badain became president in 2015 after serving as the interim in the wake of Amy Trask's 2013 resignation. He was the club's chief financial officer and Trask's assistant previously. Davis announced that Dan Ventrelle will serve as the interim president. Ventrelle has been with the organization for 17 years, most recently as an executive vice president and general counsel.

"His experience on both the football and business sides of the organization make him the best choice to lead the Raiders organization at this time," Davis said. "The greatness of the Raiders is in its future and the future starts now."

So... ok... maybe @DA RAIDERS was right. 

That is two very unusual timing departures. A retirement for a position coach and a resignation for the President. 
My opinion of Gruden hasn’t changed either.  Raider fans better be ok with losing until Gruden is gone and things have a chance of getting better.  Gruden cannot build a team.  

So... ok... maybe @DA RAIDERS was right. 

That is two very unusual timing departures. A retirement for a position coach and a resignation for the President. 
“Maybe” 🤣🤣  

I don’t want to be right, but it’s obvious to me. Gruden is  insufferable.

sadly, He’s untouchable. with that 100,000,000 and all. 

“Maybe” 🤣🤣  

I don’t want to be right, but it’s obvious to me. Gruden is  insufferable.

sadly, He’s untouchable. with that 100,000,000 and all. 
Yea... odd how the biggest of big name QB's have had the Raiders on their short list of teams they wanted to go to. Someone should have reminded them Gruden was coach. 

Yea... odd how the biggest of big name QB's have had the Raiders on their short list of teams they wanted to go to. Someone should have reminded them Gruden was coach. 
Stop.  

I love you like a brother, but come on dude. 

Gruden is an insufferable, arrogant, ### clown. There is no way on earth, that an established qb, is coming to the raiders. just to be told what to do.  Not goin* to happen. 

It’s all leverage.

You really think Aaron Rodgers wants to play for Gruden?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

russel wilson? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

For the sorry ### raiders, that have ZERO defense?

Users who are viewing this thread