What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (2 Viewers)

If you’re mariota, why restructure?  You’re gonna get 10M or get cut. Which at that point, you get to negotiate a new contract.  Probably one, in your favor. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe the Bears get desperate if they can't land Russell Wilson and will give up a good pick for Mariota.  Or if Seattle does trade Russ to the Bears maybe they like him.  Not a lot of landing spots left for Mariota at this point.

Maybe the Bears get desperate if they can't land Russell Wilson and will give up a good pick for Mariota.  Or if Seattle does trade Russ to the Bears maybe they like him.  Not a lot of landing spots left for Mariota at this point.
It doesn’t hurt for the Raiders to be patient.  They still have current cap space to sign more FAs.  

For Mariota to hit the incentives, he has to play games and earn that money.  Doesn’t seem that awful for a team wanting to use Mariota as a stop-gap for a season or even to truly kick the tires.   

It doesn’t hurt for the Raiders to be patient.  They still have current cap space to sign more FAs.  

For Mariota to hit the incentives, he has to play games and earn that money.  Doesn’t seem that awful for a team wanting to use Mariota as a stop-gap for a season or even to truly kick the tires.   
Come draft time, there will be a team who will be the odd man out on the QB carousel. Somebody will flinch. If not, be even more patient and go into training camp and wait for a camp injury. They HAVE to get something decent in return for Mariota.

Echoing some of the comments already made here, there was a pretty interesting twitter reaction/thread yesterday regarding the two contracts the Patriots laid out for Agholor and Bourne, and that the media would be roasting any of the other 31 teams if those contracts were handed out...

I'm happy for Agholor getting his money, and agree the price point was too much for the Raiders to pay for his services.  Really drives home the need for the rookie WRs to step up this year.  I do see the Raiders bringing in another Vet before the start of the season, but do not see them drafting a WR in the 1st.  

Who's the next FA target for you guys?
They are rumored on talking with Ju Ju and AJ at least. Pretty sure they will bring in a vet WR. 

I think Richard Sherman could be the next Raider signing.  I think there has to be a DB signing of some sort on the way.  I was very interested in John Johnson, but the Browns snatched him up.
FS with range is the most important piece for our D right now. Top priority in my view. 

Raiders released Hudson. Vic Tafur was talking on State of The Nation podcast last week that the Staff had a lot of confidence in Andre James to take the starting job and wondered why the Raiders didn't make this move already.

Talked about this possibility on the podcast last week. Raiders love backup center Andre James and weren’t winning anyway with all the money spent on OL.

Quote Tweet

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

· 2m

The #Raiders are releasing Pro Bowl center Rodney Hudson, source said, a surprise in Las Vegas as their O-line receives a nearly complete facelift.

11:43 AM · Mar 16, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Raiders reported love for Andre James completely aside, I'm very disappointed to see that Hudson was cut.  He was a rock on that line!

Raiders reported love for Andre James completely aside, I'm very disappointed to see that Hudson was cut.  He was a rock on that line!
Yeah, I got to agree. If you love james that much move him to Guard.  This didn't even save us cap money because of the dead money the team is going to eat on this. 

Yeah, I got to agree. If you love james that much move him to Guard.  This didn't even save us cap money because of the dead money the team is going to eat on this. 
His dead money ($15.6M) is more than what his cap hit was ($13.6M)

Talked about this possibility on the podcast last week. Raiders love backup center Andre James and weren’t winning anyway with all the money spent on OL.

Quote Tweet

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

· 2m

The #Raiders are releasing Pro Bowl center Rodney Hudson, source said, a surprise in Las Vegas as their O-line receives a nearly complete facelift.

11:43 AM · Mar 16, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
Completely blown away right now. So basically Miller is the only starter left on the Oline. Yesterday I wasn't concerned about the Oline, today I am. If I were Derek Carr, I'd be stretching those hamstrings because he's gonna be running for his life again. 

His dead money ($15.6M) is more than what his cap hit was ($13.6M)
WTF is this? Cutting Hudson makes absolutely zero sense at all. None. Guy has been an absolute rock. Why not at least let him play out this year and cut him next year when there would be cap savings involved?

This tells me there's something rotten going on at Raiders HQ. Only thing I could see even remotely explaining this is if Hudson went on some kind of tirade against Gruyock after seeing 3/5 of his compatriots cut (assuming Gabe Jax is/was).

Seriously, this is VERY troubling news.

W.T.F.!!!!!! 🤬

I am so pissed off about this Rodney Hudson fiasco. Only reason to cut a guy and take on a $15 MM dead cap is if he's woefully underperforming or completely cancerous to your culture. We know it wasn't the former. And he's been known to be a high character leader in the locker room in the past. This reeks of a Gruden power play of some kind - making an example of Rodney to the rest of the team.

Wowzers. I've been wavering on Chucky for a while now, but today has me officially on the side of wanting to see him go, unless we get some clear and reasonable alternative justification of this move very soon. Right now, this appears to me as dysfunctional a move as I've seen in a long long time. At least Mack was traded for two first round picks. Giving Hudson away to another team for free and then paying the guy $13 MM this season to play for said new team is beyond reproach right now.

Super difficult to find logic on the Hudson release, which will allow the rumour mill to absolutely explode!  

Last edited by a moderator:
For Hudson’s part, he represents a $13.6 million cap hit, but his dead money is even larger, jumping to $15.6 million, according to OverTheCap.com. That cap hit can be split between this season and next, should they designate Hudson a post-June 1 release.
Okay, so if you split the cap hit over the next two years you get ~$6 MM in cap space this season, plus ~7 MM in cap space next year. That calms me down a little bit. Still don't like losing Hudson, but at least I can see a rationale now around it, beyond just Chucky being an idiot.

Seems like a move where they loved James and didn't feel the drop off is a much without Hudson and they can use the savings elsewhere. 

Makes me believe they are going after some of the top end FA's out there and need to make room money wise. 

I am not happy about it. I love Hudson and he was a rock in the middle. Because James doesn't have playing time he is a ? to us fans. Hopefully there isn't a beat missed there but now with just Miller at LT the OL does become a question. It has to. You can't replace 4 of the 5 without. The G's made sense and the RT could make sense but now with changing the center too, the unit as a whole will be suspect until we see it on the field. 

One issue though, is that in order to designate it a post-June 1 cut, you need to keep Hudson's salary on the books until June 1. But they could also just wait until then to sign the incoming rookie class, and divert those funds to free agents between now and then.

Who's left in the Free Agent pool that fits these key attributes?...

1. High character

2. Has already been paid before

3. Proven production history

4. Won't demand a bank-breaking contract

5. Doesn't have injury issues

6. Has tread left on the tires

7. Fits the Raiders team need AND scheme

Better check all these boxes to be worth effectively trading Rodney Hudson to sign.

FRACK, that list is pretty much an impossible dream to fulfill. :(

Trent Williams (huge contract), Patrick Peterson (character questions), Richard Sherman (tread), Curtis Samuel (never paid) are the only names that come to mind as fitting most of the above, but I'm sure there are some others out there on the B and C lists of names.

Seems like a move where they loved James and didn't feel the drop off is a much without Hudson and they can use the savings elsewhere. 

Makes me believe they are going after some of the top end FA's out there and need to make room money wise. 

I am not happy about it. I love Hudson and he was a rock in the middle. Because James doesn't have playing time he is a ? to us fans. Hopefully there isn't a beat missed there but now with just Miller at LT the OL does become a question. It has to. You can't replace 4 of the 5 without. The G's made sense and the RT could make sense but now with changing the center too, the unit as a whole will be suspect until we see it on the field. 
Something big must be going down.

Trent Williams (huge contract), Patrick Peterson (character questions), Richard Sherman (tread), Curtis Samuel (never paid) are the only names that come to mind as fitting most of the above, but I'm sure there are some others out there on the B and C lists of names.
Kenny Golladay?  I'm totally confused as to what they are doing.

Something big must be going down.
I am smelling a Trent Williams monster contract coming soon. ~$20 MM per for the first two years, and then declining for another 2-3 yrs of team options with a cap-hit-free out after year 2 - similar to Baby Huey's last deal. Doubt the Niners match that.

Top end FA's that will get big contracts:

Williams, Golladay, Samuel, William Jackson, Anthony Harris, Ingram, JuJu, Reddick, etc.

Hell.... the Pats just paid Agholor $13 a year for 2 years. 

Dak Prescott (27)

QBRe-signed (4 years, $160M)2

Leonard Williams (26)

DLFranchise tag3

Chris Godwin (25)

WRFranchise tag4

Brandon Scherff (29)

OGFranchise tag5

Trent Williams (32)

OT
Unsigned6

Shaquil Barrett (28)

EDGERe-signed (4 years, $72M)7

Allen Robinson (27)

WRFranchise tag8

Justin Simmons (27)

SFranchise tag9

Taylor Moton (26)

OTFranchise tag10

Kenny Golladay (27)

WR
Unsigned11

Joe Thuney (28)

OGWill sign 5-year, $80 million deal12

Hunter Henry (26)

TEWill sign (3 years, $37.5M)13

Marcus Williams (24)

SFranchise tag14

Lavonte David (31)

LBRe-signed (2 years, $25M)15

Jonnu Smith (25)

TEWill sign (4 years, $50M)16

Corey Linsley (29)

CWill sign (5 years, $62.5M)17

John Johnson (25)

SWill sign (3 years, $33.75M)18

Carl Lawson (25)

EDGEWill sign (3 years, $45M)19

Curtis Samuel (24)

WR
Unsigned20

William Jackson (28)

CB
Unsigned21

Romeo Okwara (25)

EDGERe-signed (3 years, $39M)22

Aaron Jones (26)

RBRe-signed (4 years, $48M)23

Bud Dupree (28)

EDGEWill sign (5 years, $82.5M)24

Anthony Harris (29)

S
Unsigned25

Melvin Ingram (31)

EDGE
Unsigned26

Trey Hendrickson (26)

EDGEWill sign (4 years, $60M)27

Corey Davis (26)

WRWill sign (3 years, $37.5M)28

JuJu Smith-Schuster (24)

WR
Unsigned29

Matt Milano (26)

LBRe-signed (4 years, $44M)30

Alejandro Villanueva (32)

OT
Unsigned31

Haason Reddick (26)

EDGE
Unsigned32

Marcus Maye (28)

SFranchise tag33

Matt Judon (28)

EDGEWill sign (4 years, $56M)34

Daryl Williams (28)

OTRe-signed (3 years, $28M)35

Shaquill Griffin (25)

CBWill sign (3 years, $40M)36

Rob Gronkowski (31)

TEWill re-sign (1 year, $10M)37

Patrick Peterson (30)

CB
Unsigned38

Dalvin Tomlinson (27)

DTWill sign (2 years, $22M)39

Yannick Ngakoue (25)

EDGEWill sign (2 years, $26M)40

Will Fuller (26)

WR
Unsigned41

Jameis Winston (27)

QBWill re-sign (1 year, $12M)42

Leonard Floyd (28)

EDGEWill re-sign (4 years, $64M)43

Jadeveon Clowney (28)

EDGE
Unsigned44

Xavier Rhodes (30)

CB
Unsigned45

Eric Wilson (26)

LB
Unsigned46

Sammy Watkins (27)

WR
Unsigned47

Kevin King (25)

CB
Unsigned48

Austin Reiter (29)

C
Unsigned49

Jayon Brown (26)

LB
Unsigned50

Kenyan Drake (27)

RB
Unsigned51

Troy Hill (29)

CB
Unsigned52

T.Y. Hilton (31)

WR
Unsigned53

Russell Okung (32)

OT
Unsigned54

Keanu Neal (25)

S
Unsigned55

Chris Carson (26)

RB
Unsigned56

Nelson Agholor (27)

WRWill sign (2 years, $26M)57

Gerald Everett (26)

TE
Unsigned58

Desmond King (26)

S
Unsigned59

Jared Cook (33)

TE
Unsigned60

David Andrews (28)

C
Unsigned61

Chidobe Awuzie (25)

CBWill sign (3 years, TBD)62

Matt Feiler (28)

OGWill sign (3 years, $21M)63

Matt Skura (28)

C
Unsigned64

Cam Robinson (25)

OTFranchise tag65

Richard Sherman (32)

CB
Unsigned66

Denzel Perryman (28)

LB
Unsigned67

Aldon Smith (31)

EDGE
Unsigned68

Brian Poole (28)

CB
Unsigned69

Cam Newton (31)

QBRe-signed (1year, $5M)70

Mike Hilton (27)

CB
Unsigned71

Andy Dalton (33)

QB
Unsigned72

Ryan Kerrigan (32)

EDGE
Unsigned73

Xavier Woods (25)

S
Unsigned74

Ronald Darby (27)

CBWill sign (3 years, $30M)75

K.J. Wright (31)

LB
Unsigned76

James White (29)

RB
Unsigned77

Bashaud Breeland (29)

CB
Unsigned78

Mackensie Alexander (27)

CB
Unsigned79

Jaquiski Tartt (29)

S
Unsigned80

Shelby Harris (29)

DLWill re-sign (3 years, $27M)81

James Conner (25)

RB
Unsigned82

Ndamukong Suh (34)

DL
Unsigned83

Jalen Mills (26)

SWill sign (4 years, $24M)84

Sheldon Rankins (26)

DL
Unsigned85

Alex Mack (35)

C
Unsigned86

Lawrence Guy (30)

DL
Unsigned87

Cameron Sutton (26)

SWill re-sign (2 years, $9M)88

Rashard Higgins (26)

WR
Unsigned89

Alex Anzalone (26)

LB
Unsigned90

Roy Robertson-Harris (27)

EDGEWill sign (3 years, $24.4M)91

Rayshawn Jenkins (27)

SWill sign (4 years, TBD)92

Rick Wagner (31)

OT
Unsigned93

Malik Hooker (24)

S
Unsigned94

Ricardo Allen (29)

S
Unsigned95

Tyus Bowser (25)

LB
Unsigned96

Antonio Brown (32)

WR
Unsigned97

Michael Davis (26)

CB
Unsigned98

Kendrick Bourne (25)

WRWill sign (3 years, $22.5M)99

Leonard Fournette (26)

RB
Unsigned100

Nick Martin (27)

C
Unsigned
Names

One consistent bright spot of the Las Vegas Raiders over the years has been center Rodney Hudson, and on Tuesday, he asked to no longer be apart of the rebuild in Las Vegas. Hudson reportedly asked to be released by the Raiders, voiding his guaranteed money according to Mark Sanchez
Sanchez claiming that $3.5 MM of Hudson's salary guarantee was voided as a result of asking to be released. So then ~$7.5MM freed up for this year, assuming this is designated as a post June 1 cut, and ~$8.5 MM in extra cap next year by releasing Hudson.

Still would rather have kept Hudson. At the same time though, if he wanted out, I could see how they might want to cut their losses, and avoid the potential for another big-pay malcontent.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:

what a #### show. @Chadstroma can we worry about the O line yet? ;)   

sticking to my guns, first pick, O line . 

:lmao:

something aint right in raider land.  This reeks of Gruden being Gruden. 

Sanchez claiming that $3.5 MM of Hudson's salary guarantee was voided as a result of asking to be released. So add that to the ~$6MM freed up for this year, assuming this is designated as a post June 1 cut, so ~$10 MM in extra cap by releasing Hudson.

Still would rather have kept Hudson. At the same time though, if he wanted out, I could see how they might want to cut their losses, and avoid the potential for another big-pay malcontent.
So let me get this straight. He's willing to give up $3.5 mil than to be a Raider for one more year? If that's the case, then there's definitely something wrong inside the organization. And the team is nowhere near playoff contention than they were when Del Rio was fired. I thought we would be beating players off with a stick wanting to come play in Vegas. No state taxes, new facilities etc, etc... Its feeling like no one wants to play for Gruden, no matter what the advantages are of playing in LV. Smh...

Hey Chad!!    Remember when I wasn’t worried about the Oline and was happy with the off-season so far?!   Well, that didn’t last long.  What the heck is Gruden doing to piss off Hudson enough that he wants out?   Something is up.   You don’t dismantle one of the best Olines without reason.   Gruden is an idiot.  How many more years until he can go?   

We need a go fund me to hire an outside law firm to investigate why players keep asking to be released. This is bs. 

Just heard about Hudson on the radio driving home. Damon Bruce & Ray Ratto were predictably apoplectic about it. 

Why release your pro bowl center? Why take the cap hit instead of trying to trade what most would assume was a valuable asset?

I’m so confused by this. At least I was until I remembered that this is the same kinda crap Gruden did after he won the SB with the Bucs. 

Just heard about Hudson on the radio driving home. Damon Bruce & Ray Ratto were predictably apoplectic about it. 

Why release your pro bowl center? Why take the cap hit instead of trying to trade what most would assume was a valuable asset?

I’m so confused by this. At least I was until I remembered that this is the same kinda crap Gruden did after he won the SB with the Bucs. 
Not that this justifies things, but trading him would've resulted in ~$2MM in net cap hit this year (and ~$14MM in freed cap in 2022); whereas,

By granting his request for release, they free ~7.5 MM in cap this year and ~$8.5 MM next year.

Maybe they called around and couldn't get enough of an offer to justify ~$10 MM in net cap swing this year, had they traded him.

Now that Booker has moved on, two guys I'd like to see brought in: Pip Lindsey and Trey Sermon. Denver gave Lindsey a zero rd tender meaning he can be had for free if they don't match an offer. And Sermon can probably be swooped in the 6th or 7th round this draft. Dude is classically underrated as a RB prospect IMO.

Not that this justifies things, but trading him would've resulted in ~$2MM in net cap hit this year (and ~$14MM in freed cap in 2022); whereas,

By granting his request for release, they free ~7.5 MM in cap this year and ~$8.5 MM next year.

Maybe they called around and couldn't get enough of an offer to justify ~$10 MM in net cap swing this year, had they traded him.
The biggest issue...is WHY does he want to leave? In my mind, cap space is just a distraction for the real problem affecting this organization. 

Maybe. That all seems secondary since arguably their best move would have been to oh, I dunno, maybe keep your probowl starting center? 

Plus the loss of Incognito, and Aghalor, I just...ugh. 

As a Derrick Carr owner in a SF, this does not give me happy happy joy joys. 

Users who are viewing this thread