What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (4 Viewers)

Good Terms- 2 years 8.36 Million 3.19 guaranteed. 

Also signed Quinten Jefferson from Buffalo. 

Hankins 3.5 million one year. 

Re: Kyle Long. He's 32, didn't play last year, and was hurt the last two years he played. Who cares. 
Jefferson adds at least 3 sacks up the middle each year and brings experience in the system along with him. Looks like a good move. 

Ok.... so recap today so far..... again.....

Signed

Zay Jones

Jonathan Hankins

John Brown

Denzell Good

Nicholas Morrow

Richie Incognito

Quinton Jefferson

Solomon Thomas

Traded Hudson and a 7th for a 3rd 

Seeking to trade Jackson. 

Miss anything?

massraider said:
Carr is the last holdover from Reggie era, which is nice to remember as former Raiders who were cut have been signing deals last two days. 
I believe Reggie was still GM when they picked Miller, Parker and Key.

LOL at this review of Sol Thomas. Thomas excelled playing 3-tech (i.e. inside pass-rushing DT in a base 4-3 alignment) and parlayed that into becoming the #3 overall pick in 2017.

I might be mistaken, but I don't think the 9ers used him in that capacity, but instead more as a DE in various alignments from 3-4 to wide 9. Maybe he thrives moving back to 3-tech. Or maybe he's just a bum.

Raiders Sign 49ers Draft Bust Solomon Thomas

GRANT COHN

2 HOURS AGO

The Raiders just signed the worst draft pick in NFL history.

They signed former San Francisco 49ers defensive end Solomon Thomas to a one-year deal worth up to $5 million, according to the NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

The 49ers infamously drafted Solomon Thomas with the third pick in the 2017 draft ahead of both Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. Now Mahomes and Watson are mega elite quarterbacks, and Thomas is just terrible. Plus he's coming off a torn ACL.

What in the world were the Raiders thinking?

In four seasons with the 49ers, Thomas never earned a snap he got. Every one of his backups was better than him, and proved it. He played simply because the 49ers took him with the third pick and had to justify the horrendous selection.

So Thomas appeared in 48 games with the 49ers, started a whopping 30 of them and played 1,813 total snaps -- quite a lot.

And yet, Thomas has recorded only six sacks in his career.

He's a man without a position. When the 49ers drafted him, they thought he'd be the next Aaron Donald -- an undersized defensive tackle who dominates the NFL. But Donald is the exception -- there never will be another player like him. And Thomas certainly is nothing like him.

So the 49ers moved Thomas to defensive end, but he's not flexible or athletic enough to be an edge rusher, either. He's a tweener. Meaning he's useless. He's a waste of cap space and a roster spot.

The Raiders will find out soon enough.

LOL at this review of Sol Thomas. Thomas excelled playing 3-tech (i.e. inside pass-rushing DT in a base 4-3 alignment) and parlayed that into becoming the #3 overall pick in 2017.

I might be mistaken, but I don't think the 9ers used him in that capacity, but instead more as a DE in various alignments from 3-4 to wide 9. Maybe he thrives moving back to 3-tech. Or maybe he's just a bum.
My vote: bum.

I am biased as a Niner fan. 

To be honest, I was confused because I always thought of him as a pass rushing DT. I never paid much attention to his career with the niners but after we signed him went to look some stuff up on him and kept seeing DE and thought I must have remembered incorrectly. 

To be honest, I was confused because I always thought of him as a pass rushing DT. I never paid much attention to his career with the niners but after we signed him went to look some stuff up on him and kept seeing DE and thought I must have remembered incorrectly. 
During his time with the Niners his sister died and his also blew his ACL early 2020 (fourth and final rookie contract year). Excuses are like #######s. We're all excuses.

Lil better than Sol Thomas was the worst draft pick in the history of the universe article...

Getting to know new Raiders defensive lineman Quinton Jefferson

Mar 17, 2021 at 04:03 PM

Levi Edwards

Digital Team Reporter

Quinton Jefferson ready to get to work in the desert

Things are getting a little more dangerous on the Raiders defensive line.

The Silver and Black confirmed they have signed unrestricted free agent DT Quinton Jefferson. The defensive tackle is coming in to help play a role in the new defense scheme headed up by defensive coordinator Gus Bradley in his first season with the team.

Here are a few things to know about the veteran as he makes his way to the desert.

Beast in the making

The 27-year-old defensive lineman is coming off a very productive season in Buffalo.

Jefferson had the opportunity to establish a dominant defensive line alongside Ed Oliver and Mario Addison. He played in all 16 games and racked up 23 total tackles and three sacks as an interior defensive lineman. The Buffalo Bills reached the AFC Championship Game for the first time since 1994 before falling to the Kansas City Chiefs, and Jefferson showcased his skills as an evolving defensive lineman that is versatile enough to be be lined up either as an edge rusher or an interior lineman.

"Quinton is a beast," said Mario Addison, Jefferson's former teammate. "He is one of those guys that will fool you. You might think that he might not be able to play on the inside, or is too small to play inside, but when he gets in there, he's a beast. We've ran through one-on-ones, and I've had a lot of success rolling with him. I saw him on film, how good he was, but that doesn't mean anything until you see him in person."

"Quinton just the toughness that he brings to our defense, a fiery guy who is ready to get after it from the time he gets off the bus," added Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said. "So you like that edge that he brings to the defense."

Starting in Seattle

Before Quinton Jefferson was a Buffalo Bill, he played four seasons in the city where his new defensive coordinator made a name for himself.

Jefferson was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the fifth round of the 2016 NFL Draft, arriving in Seattle shortly after Gus Bradley established the legendary "Legion of Boom" defense that appeared in two Super Bowls. Jefferson's success in the defense that Bradley laid the groundwork for could prove to be successful once again in Las Vegas.

Jefferson had 7.5 sacks in his four years as a rotational player on the Seahawks defensive line.

From foes to friends

Jefferson has already had the opportunity to become acquainted with his new quarterback Derek Carr — just not under the greatest circumstances.

In the Raiders' Week 5 loss to the Buffalo Bills, Jefferson had one tackle against the Raiders. However, that one tackle was a sack on Derek Carr that resulted in a fumble and handed the Raiders their first loss in Allegiant Stadium.

"It's just a credit to their defense," said Josh Jacobs after the loss to Jefferson and the Bills. "They were flying to all of the gaps and shooting the holes really early. They made our O-line have to react fast. ... but it's a credit to their defense."

Now the Raiders' defensive line gets the boost and experience that Jefferson brings.

Stay up to date on all of the Raiders' free agency moves with the Free Agent Tracker, the Raiders app and @raiders social.

As someone who's battled the Sauce Demon on and off for decades, this resonated. Good on Maxx for dealing with and talking the struggle. Luv this dude from afar - my favorite current Raider. Another boffo year and you must extend this mofo!!!

(Don't get me wrong - not everyone needs to sit the bottle for a year+. A million-dollar athlete in his prime has a different equation to ponder than you and I. Cheers.)

Maxx Crosby opens up about getting sober, getting his mind right on Bussin' With The Boys pod

Mar 17, 2021 at 01:00 PM

Levi Edwards

Digital Team Reporter

Maxx Crosby is currently taking the time to rest and recover after another grueling NFL season that saw him continue his dominance as the top edge rusher for the Las Vegas Raiders. Crosby led the team in sacks for a second straight season since being drafted with the 106th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

But it's what he's doing off the field now that is earning respect.

Crosby joined former Raider Will Compton on the Bussin' With The Boys podcast that streamed Wednesday afternoon. In Crosby and Compton's conversation, they tackled many topics of conversation, including the greatness of Tom Brady and trying to improve his game, but Crosby also unexpectedly discussed getting sober, recently marking one year of being alcohol-free.

"For me if I just come in everyday, do what I've done all of college, come in and outwork people and just make plays — and for me my mindset hasn't changed," said Crosby on the pressure of being a mid-round pick from FCS school Eastern Michigan. "Going into my second-year, now it's flipped, now you've had 10 sacks as a rookie, now everyone knows who you are."

During the offseason Crosby realized that he got "lost in the sauce" after his rookie year and that years of "drinking way too much" since college had caught up with him. Crosby detailed the huge mental toll it took on him.

"I woke up one morning, and I'm like 'I need help,' and I was at a point where I had no management of my life."

Watch the full episode, which has some NSFW language, here.

Additions

DE Yannick Ngakoue — Two-year, $26 million

WR John Brown — One-year, $3.5 million

DL Solomon Thomas — One-year, up to $5 million

DT Quinton Jefferson — One-year, $3.25 million

Re-signed

G Denzelle Good — Two-year, $8.36 million

G Richie Incognito — One-year, $2.62 million

DT Johnathan Hankins — TBD

LB Nicholas Morrow — One-year, $5 million

WR Zay Jones — TBD

LS Trent Sieg — Three-year deal

Tendered

DT Kendal Vickers — ERFA $780K

QB Nathan Peterman — Original round RFA $2.13 million

S Dallin Leavitt — ERFA $780K

K Daniel Carlson — 2nd round $3.8 million

Cuts/trades

C Rodney Hudson — Traded to Cardinals for a third-round pick.

T Trent Brown — Traded to Patriots for a swap of late 2022 picks.

WR Tyrell Williams — Cut, signed one-year, $4.7 million deal with Lions

DB Lamarcus Joyner — Cut

RG Gabe Jackson — Traded to the Seahawks for a 2021 5th round pick

Lost in FA

WR Nelson Agholor — Signed two-year, $22 million with Patriots

DE Takkarist McKinley — Signed one-year, $4 million with Browns

DT Maliek Collins — Signed one-year, $6 million with Texans

RB Devontae Booker — Signed two-year, $6 million with Giants

Unsigned

FS Erik Harris

CB Nevin Lawson

DE Vic Beasley

LB Raekwon McMillan

DT Chris Smith

LB Kyle Wilber

TE Derek Carrier

RB Theo Riddick

CB Daryl Worley

TE Jason Witten (retired)

OT Sam Young

This was a bold comment from that article:  "The Raiders just signed the worst draft pick in NFL history.:"

How about looking as far back as the 2020 Draft where the Titans turned a 1st round selection into a WORSE 7th round pick just to get rid of a guy. 

I couldn't care less about Juju.  As a dynasty owner, I've paid more than my fair share of attention to Juju since he was drafted.  

There's been a pretty large amount of little negative blips over the years.  He was such a phenom his rookie year, and ever since then the Steelers have been more than happy to give his targets to other people.  

In general, if these top WRs are unhappy with the offers in a down market, I am not sure I want to get the guy who settles. How happy are they gonna be?  

• Smile
Reactions: One
I couldn't care less about Juju.  As a dynasty owner, I've paid more than my fair share of attention to Juju since he was drafted.  

There's been a pretty large amount of little negative blips over the years.  He was such a phenom his rookie year, and ever since then the Steelers have been more than happy to give his targets to other people.  

In general, if these top WRs are unhappy with the offers in a down market, I am not sure I want to get the guy who settles. How happy are they gonna be?  
One-yr prove it deal, then let him walk next yr for a big deal by some sucker team, and take a 3rd round comp pick in return.

This was a bold comment from that article:  "The Raiders just signed the worst draft pick in NFL history.:"

How about looking as far back as the 2020 Draft where the Titans turned a 1st round selection into a WORSE 7th round pick just to get rid of a guy. 
Yea, starting that article with that line made me not ready anything else as it was obvious the guy either has no clue or is so slanted that he is blind to reality. Not worth wasting my time on. 

Making the playoffs seems to be a big part of the comp formula. 
Not at all.

It's a function of how many free agents you sign that are coming off expired contracts (i.e. not cut) vs. how many of your expiring contract players are signed elsewhere. You get a comp pick for every expiring player you lose that isn't replaced by a new expired player signing. The round of pick is determined by the new salaries of the net players lost.

Secondary takes top spots among best available free agents for Raiders needs after Day 3

Though today was the official opening of free agency, it’s actually day three of free agency. That’s because the start of the free-agent negotiating period was three days ago and that’s when the wheeling and dealing really begins.

The Raiders were fairly busy, mostly adding defensive linemen, but they also brought on wide receiver John Brown. In addition to that, they held onto a few of their own free agents and traded a couple.

The most notable moves in the trades and re-signing arena happened along the offensive line. They traded Pro Bowl center Rodney Hudson and long-time right guard Gabe Jackson and re-signed guards Richie Incognito and Denzelle Good.

The area that has seen absolutely no movement is the secondary. They didn’t re-sign anyone or sign any outside free agents. The good news is neither did a lot of teams, which means there is still a lot of talented DBs out there to be had.

That’s where we start out best available, which happens to also top the Raiders needs now.

1. Safety

Anthony Harris
Xavier Woods
Malik Hooker
Jaquiski Tartt
Duron Harmon
Tre Boston

2. Cornerback

Richard Sherman
Desmond King II
Troy Hill
Casey Hayward
AJ Bouye
Quinton Dunbar
Xavier Rhodes
Bashaud Breeland

3. Offensive tackle

Mitchell Schwartz
Ricky Wagner
Riley Reiff
Kelvin Beachum
Mike Remmers

4. Wide receiver

Kenny Golladay
JuJu Smith-Schuster
TY Hilton
Sammy Watkins
Keelan Cole
Breshad Perriman

5. Running back

Mike Davis
Le’Veon Bell
Tevin Coleman

6. Center

David Andrews
Nick Martin
Ethan Pocic
Austin Blythe
Nick Easton

FS is the biggest, glaring top priority. 

I am not sure who out of these guys fits what we need in the system which, in very basic terms, is a FS would can play center field and cover a lot of ground quickly. First glance, I don't think any of these guys have been in the Cover 3 base D before but I may be wrong. 

Anthony Harris
Xavier Woods
Malik Hooker
Jaquiski Tartt
Duron Harmon
Tre Boston

Are the Raiders done at WR?   Reading the tea leaves with some dynasty optimism, I want to believe that they're still pretty intrigued by what Edwards could be.  The door appears to have been left wide open for Ruggs, Edwards, or both to step up in their sophomore season.  However, if a bigger name than Brown signs or if they go back to the WR well in the 2nd/3rd round, I'm guessing I can probably pull the plug on Edwards at that point. 

Erik Harris has signed a 1 year deal with the Falcons.

Was personally a big fan of his, as I had the opportunity to meet him in person when the Raiders played the preseason game in Winnipeg, and he gifted my family tickets to the game.   Aside from that, with my rose colored glasses on I felt at times he was the face to blame when Abram played out of position and Harris looked to be out of position in coverage.  Have to wonder how much of that was Abram playing off script without proper communication in the secondary.   

FS is the biggest, glaring top priority. 

I am not sure who out of these guys fits what we need in the system which, in very basic terms, is a FS would can play center field and cover a lot of ground quickly. First glance, I don't think any of these guys have been in the Cover 3 base D before but I may be wrong. 

Anthony Harris
Xavier Woods
Malik Hooker
Jaquiski Tartt
Duron Harmon
Tre Boston
I'm hoping for a younger vet with upside. They brought in Solomon Thomas, why not another injured 1st rounder like Hooker. They can hit the jackpot on guys like this. Jason Verrett for example, sometimes the injury bug hits hard and its unfortunate but after a year of healing, players that go through this can rejuvenate their careers. All they need is a 2nd opportunity. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the Raiders done at WR?   Reading the tea leaves with some dynasty optimism, I want to believe that they're still pretty intrigued by what Edwards could be.  The door appears to have been left wide open for Ruggs, Edwards, or both to step up in their sophomore season.  However, if a bigger name than Brown signs or if they go back to the WR well in the 2nd/3rd round, I'm guessing I can probably pull the plug on Edwards at that point. 
They were said to be kicking the tires of AJ Green and JuJu. Brought in Brown to replace Agholar (if he remains healthy, that is an upgrade with a lot less cost) and resigned Zay for depth. I wouldn't be shocked for them to still bring in a vet but wouldn't be shocked if they rolled with what they go either. 

Erik Harris has signed a 1 year deal with the Falcons.

Was personally a big fan of his, as I had the opportunity to meet him in person when the Raiders played the preseason game in Winnipeg, and he gifted my family tickets to the game.   Aside from that, with my rose colored glasses on I felt at times he was the face to blame when Abram played out of position and Harris looked to be out of position in coverage.  Have to wonder how much of that was Abram playing off script without proper communication in the secondary.   
Harris is one of those try hard guys to get the absolute most of what they have but are limited in what they have. Not a fit for this defense though. 

Once a Raider, always a Raider. I wish him well. 

Ian Rappaport reporting Raiders asking Marcus to take a $7M trim or be cut.  Following recent events as guidance, I'm guessing a trade is on the way for his services shortly. 

Ian Rappaport reporting Raiders asking Marcus to take a $7M trim or be cut.  Following recent events as guidance, I'm guessing a trade is on the way for his services shortly. 
Is Washington really going to roll with Fitzmagic? I don't think so. 

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·

2m

Former Cardinals RB Kenyan Drake is signing a two-year, $11 million deal that includes up $14.5 million with the Raiders, per source.

Drake is a great compliment to Jacobs. Speed to Jacobs hard running and can take over if Jacobs goes down. Booker impressed me last year well beyond my expectations but this is a clear upgrade to change of pace and backup duties. 

The longer that the Raiders hold on to Mariota the more leverage they have with him but less in terms of trade partners at this point. The music is stopping and people are grabbing their chairs which means soon Mariota would have to hope for an injury to get a contract like he has now. If he is cut now, he should find work for that $3-5 range we are asking from him now. 

Users who are viewing this thread