What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (1 Viewer)

I fell asleep at the wheel and didn't realize this was a 1:00 game I could have recorded on local broadcast (we get a ton of Stealers games in Ohio) and was out golfing all day.  I'm frantically recording all of the NFLN game replays but they aren't named yet so I have to hope this is one they replay.  I may have to consider Game Pass which as a Raider fan is probably a good idea anyway.

I'm starting to think 19 targets for Waller in week one was done very much with the intention to set up the Steelers.  The way Carr peppered the defense hitting whoever was open had the Steelers looking confused all day.

Seen too many 6-2 starts turn into 8-8 to be overly optimistic, but you gotta love the way this season has started.

I fell asleep at the wheel and didn't realize this was a 1:00 game I could have recorded on local broadcast (we get a ton of Stealers games in Ohio) and was out golfing all day.  I'm frantically recording all of the NFLN game replays but they aren't named yet so I have to hope this is one they replay.  I may have to consider Game Pass which as a Raider fan is probably a good idea anyway.
The Ravens/Chef game will prob get the first replay shot. 

I was happy that it was televised in the Chicago area. We lose out on a lot of games that are no MNF or Sunday night games. Bears obviously get 1st dibs then GB but we will get crappy 0-7 vs 2-5 matchups over a good Raider matchup. 

I found a streaming last year to watch the games but can't find it this year. I plan on going to the game this weekend (getting nervous... I can't find my vaccination card). 

A better, winning Raider team will get more respect for more tv slots which is great.

The Ravens/Chef game will prob get the first replay shot. 

I was happy that it was televised in the Chicago area. We lose out on a lot of games that are no MNF or Sunday night games. Bears obviously get 1st dibs then GB but we will get crappy 0-7 vs 2-5 matchups over a good Raider matchup. 

I found a streaming last year to watch the games but can't find it this year. I plan on going to the game this weekend (getting nervous... I can't find my vaccination card). 

A better, winning Raider team will get more respect for more tv slots which is great.
there was some sort of secondary screening process to get into the game.  you could do it the day before, as well as the day of.

Here are my thoughts for the Steeler game...

First and foremost is Carr. The biggest take away I got from that game and what has informed me more about Carr and this team than ANYTHING else that I have read or watched or listened to (and you guys know I read, watch and listen to a lot when it comes to my Raiders) was the reaction of the team when Carr went down. Usually when someone goes down there may be a couple of guys standing close by to see if he is ok. I can not recall seeing teammates pour on to the field like what  I saw when Carr went down. It wasn't just the Oline who tend to be protective of their QB but the entire offense, players not on the field when he got hurt and even defensive players. Who else went over? Gruden. There is a lot of talking heads, fans and even some around these parts that have taken a lot of shots at Carr which 99% of it is unwarranted crap in my view and I have been vocal about that. I know I have been dismissed by some as a blind homer loyalist or whatever else and I know that that is largely because of my advocacy of Carr. If you don't see how much this team believes in and loves Carr then you just didn't watch the game or at least that play when he went down. That spoke volumes of how the locker room is 100% Carr's. He has the title and there are no liens against that ownership. 

As for Carr's performance. He played well. As is honestly his usual play. I honestly did not see much difference in his play in these two games than in past years except the natural progression of being in command of the more complicated system Gruden uses. I haven't dived into the numbers but I would expect him to be about what his averages were (likely a tad higher) from last year. This of course is good news. I think more people will come around to Carr and much like how the chorus of 'Fire Cable' just went away and over the last coupe of years into 'Cable will get them ready', I think we will stop hearing about how Carr sucks once we start consistently start winning. 

And why do I think we will start with consistently winning? We have a defense! I can't recall the last time I didn't feel a sinking feeling in my stomach of "gawd, I hope we get lucky" when on defense. I can tell you it was before even when we had Mack. Must be back to 2001. It starts, as all good D's do, up front. 2 sacks and 10 QB hits! I don't know how many pressures. Maxx continued to ball out (I am guessing he had the majority of those QB hits). Solomon Thomas got the pressure up the middle. I really think that this will be something we will see now. I said many times before that I thought Thomas would be a difference maker with us (this game he was!) but Jefferson and Philon are also going to be big on that. I am still bummed about losing McCoy as that would be a killer rotation but even moving on without him these guys are going to break down that interior so the QB's can just step up into a clean pocket which means the pressure will be on at all times with just our front 4. It was obvious Yannick isn't 100%. When he gets back to 100% healthy and we keep Maxx, Cle and Nassib along with Hankins, Jefferson, Philon and Thomas healthy, then I am putting money down right now that we will crush the team record for sacks this year. I am still surprised that Cle didn't get more time. I still can't decide if I totally have missed my reading on how they will use him or if they are really being careful with his back. 

What about this win?! I mean, what does it tell us? I know... I know... we have started hot the last couple of years and fell apart later... but our first two wins are against universally respected as two of the better teams in the NFL. One went on to beat the Chefs which is suppose to be the king of the mountain and the other came off beating another team that is a contender favorite. We did that severely beat up, on a short week after an emotionally draining win and traveling back East into one of the more raucous home crowds in the league. 

What is more encouraging to me is that we are no where near not being 100% on either offense or defense. Not having Jacobs is a major concern. We are not going to get a ton out of Barber. Drake has yet to show anything on the ground. We can move that ball through the air but until Jacobs is back and is a threat to run the ball our offense will not fulfill it's potential by any stretch. I also think that we are still not gelled together yet. The pieces are mostly there (except Jacobs and the line) and we are getting the young guns into things but with Ruggs and Edwards, they are still growing into their positions and gaining confidence. My biggest concern right now for this team is that line. Leatherwood is going through the rookie growing pains for sure with false starts and holds and I am not going to eat his lunch for giving up a sack against one of the best pass rushers on the league- the talent is there for sure.... and we need him. I don't want to go a long stretch with Parker at RT for sure. So, we lost Good for the year which is a huge blow as he is a good guard and can play well at tackle too. Simpson is solid at guard but now we have Jermaine E (his last name is a bit harder to remember) at G and then Parker at T meanwhile James still needs snaps at his position. I am really hoping we have good news on Leatherwood and Incognito can come back soon. If both those happen, I am at ease. If not, I am going to be nervous going into our next game. The good news is that Jermaine E and Parker were not back in pass protection but man, we could not seem to get any push at all for the running game. 

How 'bout our decoy? 61 yard pay dirt! Exactly how we know we want to use him. They kind of play that Agholor was doing last year. You can literally see Ruggs and Edwards mature and gain confidence these last two games. Edwards should have had a TD as well. You have to be excited about the weapons we have. Ruggs, Edwards, Renfrow, Waller, Moreau, Jacobs (when healthy), Drake, Ingold... throw in a Snead or Jones and even Mariota (when healthy) along with what maybe I can get more agreement now.... Carr as a top 10 QB. If our line holds up and we can get healthy and gel together more.... the points we will score!!! 

For defense, I also think we are just getting started. Besides Yannick being hobbled which is an important piece, I think KJ and Perryman will continue to get better as they get settled (being late to the team) and brush off the rust (KJ from being a FA and Perryman from being hurt). Not to say that either haven't been playing well, Perryman in particular has been a tackling machine. Littleton has been solid as well and I expect him to get a big play soon. The secondary? Hayward is indeed healthy and has gas in the tank and this is transformational for us. As I expected, Abram is playing much better as he is in a system that doesn't confuse the hell out of the defensive players and is playing in position to his strengths. I said before 100 was his top end for tackles this year... well, I forgot we have 17 games this year. 100 should be his low end. And just wait... he is going to jar some balls loose for us. Moehrig isn't blowing anything, Mullen is playing like we know he can. Again, as time goes on and we are healthy, this D will be fun to watch and it will not just keep us in games (which we just wished before) this D can actually win some games for us. 

Yes. I know. 2 games. We have had hot starts before. I am telling you guys... this is different. I think this game will oddly be telling for us. In the past we have played and won against the better teams and then get some confidence and lose to some crap team. The 'fins aren't suppose to be horrible but they just got trounced by the Bills who were beat by the team we just beat. It looks like Tua just has bruised ribs. Maybe he will play? But this is a game we are suppose to win. If we do, I think that this will start to win a lot over to us being a good team and not a mockery laughing stock we have been heading into a big MNF in our vacation home the following week. 

To summarize..... RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIDERS!

Here are my thoughts for the Steeler game...

First and foremost is Carr. The biggest take away I got from that game and what has informed me more about Carr and this team than ANYTHING else that I have read or watched or listened to (and you guys know I read, watch and listen to a lot when it comes to my Raiders) was the reaction of the team when Carr went down. Usually when someone goes down there may be a couple of guys standing close by to see if he is ok. I can not recall seeing teammates pour on to the field like what  I saw when Carr went down. It wasn't just the Oline who tend to be protective of their QB but the entire offense, players not on the field when he got hurt and even defensive players. Who else went over? Gruden. There is a lot of talking heads, fans and even some around these parts that have taken a lot of shots at Carr which 99% of it is unwarranted crap in my view and I have been vocal about that. I know I have been dismissed by some as a blind homer loyalist or whatever else and I know that that is largely because of my advocacy of Carr. If you don't see how much this team believes in and loves Carr then you just didn't watch the game or at least that play when he went down. That spoke volumes of how the locker room is 100% Carr's. He has the title and there are no liens against that ownership. 

As for Carr's performance. He played well. As is honestly his usual play. I honestly did not see much difference in his play in these two games than in past years except the natural progression of being in command of the more complicated system Gruden uses. I haven't dived into the numbers but I would expect him to be about what his averages were (likely a tad higher) from last year. This of course is good news. I think more people will come around to Carr and much like how the chorus of 'Fire Cable' just went away and over the last coupe of years into 'Cable will get them ready', I think we will stop hearing about how Carr sucks once we start consistently start winning. 

And why do I think we will start with consistently winning? We have a defense! I can't recall the last time I didn't feel a sinking feeling in my stomach of "gawd, I hope we get lucky" when on defense. I can tell you it was before even when we had Mack. Must be back to 2001. It starts, as all good D's do, up front. 2 sacks and 10 QB hits! I don't know how many pressures. Maxx continued to ball out (I am guessing he had the majority of those QB hits). Solomon Thomas got the pressure up the middle. I really think that this will be something we will see now. I said many times before that I thought Thomas would be a difference maker with us (this game he was!) but Jefferson and Philon are also going to be big on that. I am still bummed about losing McCoy as that would be a killer rotation but even moving on without him these guys are going to break down that interior so the QB's can just step up into a clean pocket which means the pressure will be on at all times with just our front 4. It was obvious Yannick isn't 100%. When he gets back to 100% healthy and we keep Maxx, Cle and Nassib along with Hankins, Jefferson, Philon and Thomas healthy, then I am putting money down right now that we will crush the team record for sacks this year. I am still surprised that Cle didn't get more time. I still can't decide if I totally have missed my reading on how they will use him or if they are really being careful with his back. 

What about this win?! I mean, what does it tell us? I know... I know... we have started hot the last couple of years and fell apart later... but our first two wins are against universally respected as two of the better teams in the NFL. One went on to beat the Chefs which is suppose to be the king of the mountain and the other came off beating another team that is a contender favorite. We did that severely beat up, on a short week after an emotionally draining win and traveling back East into one of the more raucous home crowds in the league. 

What is more encouraging to me is that we are no where near not being 100% on either offense or defense. Not having Jacobs is a major concern. We are not going to get a ton out of Barber. Drake has yet to show anything on the ground. We can move that ball through the air but until Jacobs is back and is a threat to run the ball our offense will not fulfill it's potential by any stretch. I also think that we are still not gelled together yet. The pieces are mostly there (except Jacobs and the line) and we are getting the young guns into things but with Ruggs and Edwards, they are still growing into their positions and gaining confidence. My biggest concern right now for this team is that line. Leatherwood is going through the rookie growing pains for sure with false starts and holds and I am not going to eat his lunch for giving up a sack against one of the best pass rushers on the league- the talent is there for sure.... and we need him. I don't want to go a long stretch with Parker at RT for sure. So, we lost Good for the year which is a huge blow as he is a good guard and can play well at tackle too. Simpson is solid at guard but now we have Jermaine E (his last name is a bit harder to remember) at G and then Parker at T meanwhile James still needs snaps at his position. I am really hoping we have good news on Leatherwood and Incognito can come back soon. If both those happen, I am at ease. If not, I am going to be nervous going into our next game. The good news is that Jermaine E and Parker were not back in pass protection but man, we could not seem to get any push at all for the running game. 

How 'bout our decoy? 61 yard pay dirt! Exactly how we know we want to use him. They kind of play that Agholor was doing last year. You can literally see Ruggs and Edwards mature and gain confidence these last two games. Edwards should have had a TD as well. You have to be excited about the weapons we have. Ruggs, Edwards, Renfrow, Waller, Moreau, Jacobs (when healthy), Drake, Ingold... throw in a Snead or Jones and even Mariota (when healthy) along with what maybe I can get more agreement now.... Carr as a top 10 QB. If our line holds up and we can get healthy and gel together more.... the points we will score!!! 

For defense, I also think we are just getting started. Besides Yannick being hobbled which is an important piece, I think KJ and Perryman will continue to get better as they get settled (being late to the team) and brush off the rust (KJ from being a FA and Perryman from being hurt). Not to say that either haven't been playing well, Perryman in particular has been a tackling machine. Littleton has been solid as well and I expect him to get a big play soon. The secondary? Hayward is indeed healthy and has gas in the tank and this is transformational for us. As I expected, Abram is playing much better as he is in a system that doesn't confuse the hell out of the defensive players and is playing in position to his strengths. I said before 100 was his top end for tackles this year... well, I forgot we have 17 games this year. 100 should be his low end. And just wait... he is going to jar some balls loose for us. Moehrig isn't blowing anything, Mullen is playing like we know he can. Again, as time goes on and we are healthy, this D will be fun to watch and it will not just keep us in games (which we just wished before) this D can actually win some games for us. 

Yes. I know. 2 games. We have had hot starts before. I am telling you guys... this is different. I think this game will oddly be telling for us. In the past we have played and won against the better teams and then get some confidence and lose to some crap team. The 'fins aren't suppose to be horrible but they just got trounced by the Bills who were beat by the team we just beat. It looks like Tua just has bruised ribs. Maybe he will play? But this is a game we are suppose to win. If we do, I think that this will start to win a lot over to us being a good team and not a mockery laughing stock we have been heading into a big MNF in our vacation home the following week. 

To summarize..... RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIDERS!
I for one love your positive enthusiasm . I read ALL the posts in this thread since joining this forum and id rather read good things than bad things about my beloved Raiders. I`ve been a fan since  1983. Watched Black Sunday and was hooked by the teams personality . from New England its tough ,i get crap all the time lol.

Keep the good vibes coming Chadstroma

Last edited by a moderator:
everyone freaked out when carr went down because the alternative is peterman. if mariota is healthy, it's not the end of the world if carr gets injured. especially with the defense playing well enough to keep us in games when the offense is struggling in the first half and kicking field goals instead of scoring touchdowns.

One thing that stood out was the series where Carr fumbled on a sack then fumbled the next snap. Years previous this has happened and it quickly turns into a downward spiral, once vs NE last year, which I’m sure has happened 2-3 times.

this game he shook it off and took care of business.

enjoyed the halftime rant from Gruden, that was fantastic 

One thing that stood out was the series where Carr fumbled on a sack then fumbled the next snap. Years previous this has happened and it quickly turns into a downward spiral, once vs NE last year, which I’m sure has happened 2-3 times.

this game he shook it off and took care of business.

enjoyed the halftime rant from Gruden, that was fantastic 
Every year we hear the rhetoric that coaches and players don't listen or pay attention to the media. Listening to their pressers, you can tell Gruden and Carr (probably the whole team) have been lately. 

Nice win, in a tough environment on a short week. These wins build character, hopefully they ride this momentum and start winning in November and December. 

ChuckyCheeze said:
I for one love your positive enthusiasm . I read ALL the posts in this thread since joining this forum and id rather read good things than bad things about my beloved Raiders. I`ve been a fan since  1983. Watched Black Sunday and was hooked by the teams personality . from New England its tough ,i get crap all the time lol.

Keep the good vibes coming Chadstroma
I call it as I see it. 

I do hope for the best. For so many years that was all I could do... if these guys get better... if this guy can still play.... if these guys stay healthy.... if everything breaks our way.... MAYBE we can sneak into the playoffs. 

I mean, the last year I didn't feep that way was going inti 2002. After that SB loss, I knew we were in trouble. I hoped we weren't but I could see it. Even after 2016 where we went 12-4 and made playoffs... I still didn't believe. It was all hope. 

I been in my soapbox preaching the Gospel if really seeimg good things here all off season. I know there have been more than a couple times people around these parts have done a big ole  :rolleyes:  when reading some of my posts. Likely the most when I 'banged the table' for Carr. But I am saying this will all honesty. What I have been seeing, hearing, reading etc all off season up to Sunday's game has had me not hoping but really believing.... and honestly, that has been scary this off season. I don't want to believe and get crushed but I do believe we have a good team here now. 

I know Carr supporters are gonna say Carr has always played like this, but I think Carr this year is FINALLY taking shots down field. He's definitely not checking down as much as he used to and that was my biggest gripe with Carr before.

He's always been a great leader and taken care of the ball, but now he's winning games by taking those big shots. Hopefully the numbers somewhere back that up, but that's what I've noticed as the biggest difference in Carr.

Last edited by a moderator:
to me, carr is doing what he's always done.  with a nod to @Charlie Harper above, he's throwing it deep more.  he's no stabler, but he's airing it out a bit.  and the passes have been successful!  another change.

the o-line is a walking mash unit.  they NEED another body there.  badly.  like now.  and y'all gave me grief for wanting more OL.  smdh

so far the D is a shock to me.  the front 7 have been kicking ###.  the secondary is the biggest weakness on the team, IMHO.  leavitt is terrible.  Arnette is either in position, or completely lost.  there is no in between. and i'm confused why we haven't seen more of robertson.  

mullen, hobbs, abrams and hayward have played great!  but the rest, not so much.  it's amazing how simply making the tackle matters.

man o man i hope they keep the pedal to the metal and come out hot against the dolphins.  historically, they #### the bed against the phins.

RRRRRRAAAAAIIIIDDDDDEEEEEERRRRRSSSSS!!!!

to me, carr is doing what he's always done.  with a nod to @Charlie Harper above, he's throwing it deep more.  he's no stabler, but he's airing it out a bit.  and the passes have been successful!  another change.

the o-line is a walking mash unit.  they NEED another body there.  badly.  like now.  and y'all gave me grief for wanting more OL.  smdh

so far the D is a shock to me.  the front 7 have been kicking ###.  the secondary is the biggest weakness on the team, IMHO.  leavitt is terrible.  Arnette is either in position, or completely lost.  there is no in between. and i'm confused why we haven't seen more of robertson.  

mullen, hobbs, abrams and hayward have played great!  but the rest, not so much.  it's amazing how simply making the tackle matters.

man o man i hope they keep the pedal to the metal and come out hot against the dolphins.  historically, they #### the bed against the phins.

RRRRRRAAAAAIIIIDDDDDEEEEEERRRRRSSSSS!!!!
I think Leavitt and Arnette have been in on like 15-20 snaps comvined in the two games. 

8? healthy OL currently?  they signed cotton (gulp) to the PS, correct?  this and carr's health, are my biggest concerns

The 2-0 start is impressive when you stop and think about the injuries. 

The Oline: They are down to Simpson and Eluemuer (sp? I still don't know his name) at guard. Their 2 starters are out, we won't see Good again all year and who knows when and if Incognito will ever play. Now Leatherwood is questionable.  It's crazy to comprehend how well the offense is running with such a patchwork Oline. 

And defensively, their LB corps are so depleted they had Marquel Lee out there in the 4th quarter.  At one point they had Lee, Leavitt and Arnett on the field at the same time and still won the game. 

Rob Rivera, co-founder of Black Hole section of Raiders fans, dies of COVID-19

LAS VEGAS -- Rob Rivera, co-founder of the iconic Black Hole section of Raiders fans when the team called Oakland home, died this week from complications of COVID-19.

Rivera, who was in his 50s, was inspired to create the section after seeing the Cleveland Browns' Dawg Pound on television in 1994.

"But let's do it on rabies," Rivera recalled for ESPN's E-60 in 2019.

The Black Hole was in the southern end zone of the Oakland Coliseum and has now taken root in the southern end zone of Las Vegas' Allegiant Stadium.

"He is arguably the most important fan in Raiders history, building and growing the Black Hole in Oakland," said radio host John Tournour, aka J.T. The Brick, who will host a tribute show in Rivera's honor on Wednesday. "There's a lot of guys who put on a costume, and no slight to them, but he was so proud of the Black Hole. He lived it.

"The sad thing is he never got a chance to come to Vegas to see a game. He had plans to come out later this season and sit in my seats. But he passed away because of this awful pandemic, which should get everyone's attention. If it can happen to Black Hole Rob, it can happen to anyone."

The Black Hole, one of the most iconic fan sections in the NFL which referred to itself as football's most notorious fans, has 28 chapters across the country, as well as internationally with outposts in Mexico, Australia, and Germany.

Rivera told ESPN the Black Hole was a "fan phenomenon" and took off with fans putting "war paint" on their faces and dressing up in costumes.

"We've had to battle a negative stereotype of the Raider Nation," Rivera said.

"If ever you wanted the best football fan experience, step into the Black Hole, because that's what we'll give you."

A handful of Super Fans have made the trek from the Bay Area to Sin City.

"His vision was that one day, with the blimp overhead looking down, the entire stadium would be the Black Hole, but the heartbeat would be Section 105," said Mark Acasio, who also goes by the costumed superfan Gorilla Rilla on gameday and who has made the transition to Las Vegas.

"He sold me his personal seat to sit in the Black Hole back in 1996 and he took me under his wing to be a part of it all and it grew from there. With the reboot and restart in Las Vegas, his legacy and his Aloha Spirit will continue to grow."

Raiders restructure contract of LB Cory Littleton

After two weeks of the season, the Raiders already looking to create some more cap space. That likely has to do with the number of injuries they’ve suffered already as the team will need to sign a few veterans to fill holes on the offensive line.

One way that they can free up some cap space is by restructuring contracts. That is what they did on Tuesday as they saved over $3.4 million by moving some money around in Cory Littleton’s contract.

That deal was first reported by ESPN’s Field Yates as they converted $4.25 million of Littleton’s salary into a bonus

The tradeoff for this move is that Littleton now has a cap number of over $15 million in 2022, which effectively means he will be on the team next year, regardless of his play this season.

Littleton has played 92 snaps for the Raiders in the first two games of the season. He’s totaled 15 tackles, but he is currently the 82nd ranked linebacker out of 85, according to Pro Football Focus.

While the Raiders needed to create some cap space, it is a bit of a risky move for a player that has not performed well since arriving in Las Vegas. However, the front office is convinced he will turn things around under Gus Bradley this season.

Raiders sign Kyle Sloter to practice squad

The Raiders have some injury concerns about Derek Carr and that likely contributed their decision to add a quarterback to the practice squad on Monday.

The team announced that they have signed Kyle Sloter. They also confirmed that they have released cornerback Nevin Lawson after his two-game suspension came to an end.

Raiders head coach Jon Gruden said on Monday that Carr had an MRI after hurting his ankle in Sunday’s win over the Steelers and that the quarterback is questionable to face the Dolphins in Week Three. With Marcus Mariota on injured reserve, Nathan Peterman is the only backup option available on the active roster in Las Vegas.

Sloter spent some time on the Raiders roster this offseason, but he was released in April. He’s also spent time with the Broncos, Vikings, Cardinals, Lions, and Bears, but has never played in a regular season game.

Raiders CB Nate Hobbs rated as top rookie defensive back after two weeks

It’s been a rough start for the top two picks for the Las Vegas Raiders. Both Alex Leatherwood and Tre’von Moehrig have struggled a bit and now Leatherwood is dealing with a back injury. Obviously, the Raiders were hoping to get more from their top two picks.

However, the Raiders have to be tickled with their draft so far due to their fifth-round rookie corner. Nate Hobbs was a relative unknown before the draft, but the team has found a diamond in the rough from Illinois.

Not only did he make the roster, but he won the starting slot cornerback job over Nevin Lawson and Amik Robertson. And after two games, he might be their best rookie by quite a margin.

In a recent article by Pro Football Focus, they ranked the top-15 rookies after the first two weeks of the season. Not only did Hobbs make the list, but he’s also been the site’s top-graded rookie defensive back so far this season. Here are their thoughts on the Hobbs and his performances:

“Hobbs was one of the highest-graded players in preseason, and it’s carried over to the regular season. While he gave up catches on all seven of his targets for 44 yards, three of those receptions ended up in stops for the rookie.”

Hobbs has also been a very good tackler, which is exactly what the Raiders needed from their slot corner. He has played with so much confidence and hasn’t allowed any big plays yet in coverage.

There is still a ton of room for improvement, but the Raiders have to be thrilled with the play of Hobbs so far. It’s too early to say this for sure, but Hobbs appears to be one of the biggest steals of this year’s draft.

Rob Rivera, co-founder of Black Hole section of Raiders fans, dies of COVID-19

LAS VEGAS -- Rob Rivera, co-founder of the iconic Black Hole section of Raiders fans when the team called Oakland home, died this week from complications of COVID-19.

A GoFundMe was set up for his family:  https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-help-rob-riveras-family-with-expenses?qid=7eaeebf0fb709756d2ad33aa975857b8 

(I'm not affiliated, just saw it posted within other Raider circles online)

Raiders CB Nate Hobbs rated as top rookie defensive back after two weeks

It’s been a rough start for the top two picks for the Las Vegas Raiders. Both Alex Leatherwood and Tre’von Moehrig have struggled a bit and now Leatherwood is dealing with a back injury. Obviously, the Raiders were hoping to get more from their top two picks.

However, the Raiders have to be tickled with their draft so far due to their fifth-round rookie corner. Nate Hobbs was a relative unknown before the draft, but the team has found a diamond in the rough from Illinois.

Not only did he make the roster, but he won the starting slot cornerback job over Nevin Lawson and Amik Robertson. And after two games, he might be their best rookie by quite a margin.

In a recent article by Pro Football Focus, they ranked the top-15 rookies after the first two weeks of the season. Not only did Hobbs make the list, but he’s also been the site’s top-graded rookie defensive back so far this season. Here are their thoughts on the Hobbs and his performances:

“Hobbs was one of the highest-graded players in preseason, and it’s carried over to the regular season. While he gave up catches on all seven of his targets for 44 yards, three of those receptions ended up in stops for the rookie.”

Hobbs has also been a very good tackler, which is exactly what the Raiders needed from their slot corner. He has played with so much confidence and hasn’t allowed any big plays yet in coverage.

There is still a ton of room for improvement, but the Raiders have to be thrilled with the play of Hobbs so far. It’s too early to say this for sure, but Hobbs appears to be one of the biggest steals of this year’s draft.
Every time i read the name Hobbs i think of Roy Hobbs from the baseball movie The Natural ...maybe people should start calling Nate Hobbs '' The Natural '' 😎

Every time i read the name Hobbs i think of Roy Hobbs from the baseball movie The Natural ...maybe people should start calling Nate Hobbs '' The Natural '' 😎

Natty Nate. I like it. Both for the Hobbs reference and the way he plays the game. He is indeed a natural.  :thumbup:

Lawson visiting the Jags after his release. It was expected that the Raiders would try to sign him to PS after the release. No word on him signing anywhere.

DocHolliday said:
I get why the Raiders moved on from some of the OL this offseason but Hudson should have been kept.   That one move may be very costly.  

He asked to be allowed to leave (in what manner we do not know) and his play had been regressing. And they were high on James. Otherwise, I agree with you. 

He asked to be allowed to leave (in what manner we do not know) and his play had been regressing. And they were high on James. Otherwise, I agree with you. 
How is James playing so far? I know some stathead sites grade all players. Do we have any info for how James is grading out?

Or is he hurt, it's hard to keep track of all the moving pieces.

Brown just was never on the field and when he did last year wasn't dominant like we saw previously. We were paying him a lot of money not to suit up. He has continued that so far going back to the Patriots. 100% was behind this though bummed about what could have been if he kept healthy and wanted to play. 

Jackson was a tease his whole career. Showing times of playing great and then stretches of being blah. He held up well in pass pro last year but never seemed to ger the push like he should in the run game. Turning 30 and making a lot of money with the emergence of Good, I could see the benefit of getting a 5th round for him and free up money. I didn't love this move but no where near to disliking it either. 

For both Brown and Good, I felt we were ok. Then Hudson came around which was shocking (Brown and Jackson were not surprising at all). But when a player doesn't want to be there, makes a lot of money and you believe you have a younger player that can replace him then what are you suppose to do? 

James isn't a rookie but he has about as much snaps as a rookie. He has made mistakes for sure and I worry about his ability to get any push in the running game but I think there needs to be a certain amount of grace... or maybe patience is a better word... as you would give a rookie like Leatherwood. 

Losing Good hurts. Simpson is capable but I do worry about Parker and Jermaine E. Hopefully Incognito and Leatherwood are ready soon. 

How is James playing so far? I know some stathead sites grade all players. Do we have any info for how James is grading out?

Or is he hurt, it's hard to keep track of all the moving pieces.
I have seen mistakes. And I have concern about his ability to get any push against the bigger/stronger DT's of the league but as I noted, I think a certain amount of patience with him is in line as he doesn't have much playing time under his belt.

I have seen mistakes. And I have concern about his ability to get any push against the bigger/stronger DT's of the league but as I noted, I think a certain amount of patience with him is in line as he doesn't have much playing time under his belt.
Agree.  I'd say he has been mediocre to a bit below average, but he may very well improve.

Brown just was never on the field and when he did last year wasn't dominant like we saw previously. We were paying him a lot of money not to suit up. He has continued that so far going back to the Patriots. 100% was behind this though bummed about what could have been if he kept healthy and wanted to play. 

Jackson was a tease his whole career. Showing times of playing great and then stretches of being blah. He held up well in pass pro last year but never seemed to ger the push like he should in the run game. Turning 30 and making a lot of money with the emergence of Good, I could see the benefit of getting a 5th round for him and free up money. I didn't love this move but no where near to disliking it either. 

For both Brown and Good, I felt we were ok. Then Hudson came around which was shocking (Brown and Jackson were not surprising at all). But when a player doesn't want to be there, makes a lot of money and you believe you have a younger player that can replace him then what are you suppose to do? 

James isn't a rookie but he has about as much snaps as a rookie. He has made mistakes for sure and I worry about his ability to get any push in the running game but I think there needs to be a certain amount of grace... or maybe patience is a better word... as you would give a rookie like Leatherwood. 

Losing Good hurts. Simpson is capable but I do worry about Parker and Jermaine E. Hopefully Incognito and Leatherwood are ready soon. 
The Brown and Jackson moves made sense.  Hudson still doesn’t.  Maybe James improves some but There is a good chance he is an average player and nothing more.  The injuries make the Hudson move look worse.   He was on the field most of the time. The o line needs bodies.  For that reason, I don’t miss Brown at all.   Great players don’t make a difference when they are in street clothes on many Sundays.  

i'm in the camp, that dumping hudson was a mistake.  we'll see.  brown and jackson?  f brown and gabe just got too expensive.  i wish they had brought in another solid OL guy, instead of some of the players they chose to keep/sign.  

Users who are viewing this thread