What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (7 Viewers)

The Brown and Jackson moves made sense.  Hudson still doesn’t.  Maybe James improves some but There is a good chance he is an average player and nothing more.  The injuries make the Hudson move look worse.   He was on the field most of the time. The o line needs bodies.  For that reason, I don’t miss Brown at all.   Great players don’t make a difference when they are in street clothes on many Sundays.  
Everything everyone has said about Oline has truth to it, I think bottom line is that injuries have taken their toll and it's only week 3. This week's possible starters are Miller, Simpson, James, Mr E and Parker. That's very scary, one more injury to any spot on the Oline, and they're in dire straits. Especially with a QB now playing on a bad ankle who's backup is on IR. It's great they're 2-0, but man, we are one hit away from Peterman playing behind that Oline. 

Some thought food on Hudson -

- He was highly paid and we don't know if he was showing signs of becoming a malcontent. Only thing worse than a malcontent is a highly-paid malcontent.

- He was showing signs of slowing down as a player. I don't know the PFF grades for James v. Hudson through two games, but reading some of the Cardinals fan boards, I see fans complaining about the OL play, and particularly a lack of push in the run game - that was Hudson's biggest fall off last year.

- He generated a 3rd-round pick - which turned into Malcolm Koonce. MK may or may not turn into something of value, but that 3rd rounder definitely had value, regardless of whether the swing becomes a hit or a miss. See the 5th-rd pick obtained for Gabe Jax as illustration - that one turned into Natty Nate Hobbs... Muthertrucking grand slam so far with that swing.

- The money freed up by dumping Hudson was used on other players in one way or another - seeing as how they were cap strapped at the final margins and still managed to sign Wright, one could make a roundabout case that Hudson's money was used on Wright. This last point is perhaps a reach, but when operating on the margins, every dollar counts.

^^^ Despite all of the above, it still may have been a mistake to let Hudson go. But it's not as cut and dried as some of you seem to believe, IMO - not in either direction. 
Good points in the last few threads.  Time is going to answer the question.   I’m a firm believer in building teams from the inside out.  O line and D line must be a priority every year.   Raiders did a good job on the D side this off season but some of that fixing was out of necessity for the ongoing problem of poor drafting.  That fourth round pick from a couple of years ago looks worse by the week.  

Back to Hudson.  It isn’t as cut and dry as I initially made it.    He didn’t want to be here for some reason and his play isn’t what it once was.   Moving him out may have been the right move.  Not doing a better job with backfilling the talent level may be an issue.  Getting some guys healthy will certainly help.  

In retrospect you can see why the Raiders would love to have a guy like Hudson in the lineup.

But from a team building perspective it's better to move on from a high priced vet a year early than a year late.

^^^IF they can keep the existing roster intact going into 2022, they will be in position to take several OL in the next draft - hopefully it'll be a fruitful class for that position group.

They do have a bunch of one-yr contracts though - Hayward, Wright, Jefferson, Thomas, Philon - that will need re-upping as warranted, plus perhaps new monster deals for Carr and Maxx - those will likely need to be firmly back-loaded so that they can make a run over the next couple years and kick the can downfield. At some point Waller Baller is going to demand a raise too - hopefully not until 2023 at the earliest - and that one too will need firm back-loading.

It's nice to see they are finally getting some starter-level production from some of their rookie-deal players (besides Maxx & JJ). The young WRs and DBs are making impact this year. Let's hope that lasts and extends to other units too after the next couple drafts. For all the hate Mayock gets in this thread, I'm pleased with his drafts so far - getting producers every year it seems all of a sudden, after what felt like three decades of almost exclusive misses (exceptional 2014 class notwithstanding).

Good points in the last few threads.  Time is going to answer the question.   I’m a firm believer in building teams from the inside out.  O line and D line must be a priority every year.   Raiders did a good job on the D side this off season but some of that fixing was out of necessity for the ongoing problem of poor drafting.  That fourth round pick from a couple of years ago looks worse by the week.  

Back to Hudson.  It isn’t as cut and dry as I initially made it.    He didn’t want to be here for some reason and his play isn’t what it once was.   Moving him out may have been the right move.  Not doing a better job with backfilling the talent level may be an issue.  Getting some guys healthy will certainly help.  
It seemed to me he was upset that we got rid of Brown and Jackson but that is more guess than any info.

Ok my fellow citizens of Raider Nation... 

I extended my stay officially. I move from a flight back Sunday night to Monday night. I grabbed a room at the Excalibur for Sunday night (yes, I know, not great but I don't expect to be there much... crash after hopefully celebrating a win late night and then up in the morning to do a few things I wanna do and the difference on there vs Mandalay Bay $$$ was like three times the money... it will be better than the place I stayed at two years ago  :lmao:  plus I have the Vdara to enjoy for Friday and Sat nights). I also booked a stadium tour for Monday. 

The only thing I have not done is bought my tickets. They are pretty stable from where they were a week ago or so. I can't see them going anywhere but down. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase them? Should I wait last minute? I think there are apps for that no? I do not want to do the scalpers outside as the chances of getting scammed are high. There are some pretty good tickets for $400 out the door after now on the bottom corners like 4th row. Of course, I would love to have great seats- I don't want to spend more than $400 (whatever I spend will be double as my wife made it clear however much I spend she expects to be spent on her for a new purse or shoes or whatever). I am feeling like it will only go down in cost and not up. 

I am super stoked for this weekend. SUPER pumped for the Raider game.... the stadium tour.... unfortunately a friend of mine came down with COVID but the silver lining is that she is giving me her VIP ticket for my convention so I get some cool extra perks.... listen to Molly Bloom (VIP meet and greet too... she is hot), Magic Johnson and Simon Sinek (VIP Q&A with him... what would you ask him if you had the chance?) and tons of industry stuff I am jacked up plus seeing tons of awesome people! Grab in In n Out burger too. It is going to be a good weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^IF they can keep the existing roster intact going into 2022, they will be in position to take several OL in the next draft - hopefully it'll be a fruitful class for that position group.

They do have a bunch of one-yr contracts though - Hayward, Wright, Jefferson, Thomas, Philon - that will need re-upping as warranted, plus perhaps new monster deals for Carr and Maxx - those will likely need to be firmly back-loaded so that they can make a run over the next couple years and kick the can downfield. At some point Waller Baller is going to demand a raise too - hopefully not until 2023 at the earliest - and that one too will need firm back-loading.

It's nice to see they are finally getting some starter-level production from some of their rookie-deal players (besides Maxx & JJ). The young WRs and DBs are making impact this year. Let's hope that lasts and extends to other units too after the next couple drafts. For all the hate Mayock gets in this thread, I'm pleased with his drafts so far - getting producers every year it seems all of a sudden, after what felt like three decades of almost exclusive misses (exceptional 2014 class notwithstanding).
The sooner they extend Waller the better. His price tag is only going up.

Chad,

there are Facebook groups that I checked out prior to going. I’ll get you the most legit one, if you want. There are still scammers in there, but that’s going to be true for anywhere other than TM, stub hub, etc.  at $400, you’ll be able to sit anywhere except the club. Unless you get one at face value $395. I would wait, prices will drop.  Especially for a single. 

as far where to sit, I would sit on the south end, so you see the torch with the windows behind it. But anywhere will work.  If any of my friends are selling their club seats at cost, I’ll let you know. 

Through two games, the Raiders led the NFL with a 31% QB contact rate, per ESPN Stats & Information. They were 29th last season.

Raiders are tied for 10th in the NFL in fewest points allowed, 16th in yards surrendered and their three takeaways are tied for fourth most. Last season, Las Vegas was No. 30 on points allowed, No. 25 in total defense and No. 30 in takeaways.

I know Carr supporters are gonna say Carr has always played like this, but I think Carr this year is FINALLY taking shots down field. He's definitely not checking down as much as he used to and that was my biggest gripe with Carr before.

He's always been a great leader and taken care of the ball, but now he's winning games by taking those big shots. Hopefully the numbers somewhere back that up, but that's what I've noticed as the biggest difference in Carr.

Carr looks strong to start the 2021 season. He’s completing 67 percent of his passes for 8.8 yards an attempt. His average depth of target is 9.5, which would be the deepest mark of his career; he’s thrown at least 20 yards downfield on 12.9 percent of his passes, which would also be a career-best number.

The numbers that prove I'm not blind.

Thank you. The linked article was a phenomenal read, but not just b/c of Carr. It very aptly describes the strengths and potential weaknesses of Gus Bradley's scheme:

The rate at which the Raiders are getting pressure without blitzing is astronomical. Las Vegas has blitzed on just four dropbacks through two games this season—that’s less than 5 percent of the possible snaps. Yet it’s pressuring opposing quarterbacks on 29.6 percent of dropbacks. Only the Steelers are generating similar pressure (29.5 percent of dropbacks) with a low blitz rate (10 percent). And critically, the Steelers and the Raiders do it in different ways. Pittsburgh is lining up with a number of potential rushers peppering the line of scrimmage, creating confusion for opposing offensive lines that should ensure elite rushers like T.J. Watt or Cameron Heyward get one-on-one opportunities. The Raiders are just lining up and going.

That’s always been Bradley’s way. Bradley’s Chargers blitzed less than any other team in each of the past two seasons, and the defenses suffered for it as a whole. They were 20th in DVOA in 2020 with a 23.8 percent pressure rate and 25th in 2019 with a 23.8 percent pressure rate. (Yes, the Chargers had the exact same pressure rate in consecutive seasons. I think that’s Bradley’s greatest defensive achievement to date.)

So the Raiders will do what the Chargers did before them, and what the Jaguars did before that, and what the Seahawks did before that. They’re going to line up with four down linemen, rush them all, and drop seven defenders in zone coverage. It’s a formula that has worked for Bradley before, and it’s working now. Through just a few games of the season, you can see how the Raiders’ zone defenders are learning how to overlap, connect, and communicate the way all top zone defenses do.

This only works if you have elite players playing at healthy elite levels at all three levels, but especially on the line and in the 2ndary. If the line doesn't get pressure or the 2ndary doesn't cover and exploit rushed throws - whether by matchup, health, complacency, whatever - it can lead to bad outcomes, b/c the system itself is so simple and not at all novel. 

Unless Bradley has some wrinkles and foundations to be added, a good QB with a good OL can and probably will pick apart this scheme. And if the front four suddenly stops pressuring for whatever reason, the rest of the unit will likely falter as well.

It's an interesting experiment - it's worked thus far, but two games doesn't make a season, and now teams have plenty of tape of us never blitzing. We are going to need Maxx for sure and probably Yannick and the rotating 3-tech crew to keep up this form all season for this D to continue succeeding. It's possible, but subject to a big dropoff if any one or more of the key pieces falls off (Maxx, YN, 3-techs, Hayward, Mullen). They simply don't have the next man up to replace them.

Unless Bradley has some wrinkles and foundations to be added, a good QB with a good OL can and probably will pick apart this scheme. And if the front four suddenly stops pressuring for whatever reason, the rest of the unit will likely falter as well.

It's an interesting experiment - it's worked thus far, but two games doesn't make a season, and now teams have plenty of tape of us never blitzing. .
I’m hoping that Bradley has blitzes ready to use but has not done much blitzing because it hasn’t been necessary.  At some point, the front four won’t be able to pressure the QB and plan B will be necessary.  

I’m hoping that Bradley has blitzes ready to use but has not done much blitzing because it hasn’t been necessary.  At some point, the front four won’t be able to pressure the QB and plan B will be necessary.  
Historically, blitzing hasn't been a big part of Bradley's coaching ethos.

FYI, ticket prices for Sunday have dropped significantly on Ticket master. I am out of town this weekend otherwise I'd be there. I was in Section 408 for the Monday night game and still found it to be a pretty good view of the field. It certainly didn't feel like nosebleed seats.  Also, there are Facebook Groups where PSL holders put their tickets up for sale. A little more risk involved with a person to person exchange so be cautious.  

The Raiders defense is probably a good streaming option this week against the Dolphins and Brissett.
A warning. Brissett had the team in position for 2 TDs and 2 FGs. Parker drops a perfectly thrown 30 yard pass in the endzone and Grant fumbles on the 5. Brissett kept plays alive with his ability to run and break tackles, he's strong and fast enough. All with pressure on over half the plays. And 5 or 6 drops. I'll take the over as I think LV will also score points. 

Ok my fellow citizens of Raider Nation... 

I extended my stay officially. I move from a flight back Sunday night to Monday night. I grabbed a room at the Excalibur for Sunday night (yes, I know, not great but I don't expect to be there much... crash after hopefully celebrating a win late night and then up in the morning to do a few things I wanna do and the difference on there vs Mandalay Bay $$$ was like three times the money... it will be better than the place I stayed at two years ago  :lmao:  plus I have the Vdara to enjoy for Friday and Sat nights). I also booked a stadium tour for Monday. 

The only thing I have not done is bought my tickets. They are pretty stable from where they were a week ago or so. I can't see them going anywhere but down. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase them? Should I wait last minute? I think there are apps for that no? I do not want to do the scalpers outside as the chances of getting scammed are high. There are some pretty good tickets for $400 out the door after now on the bottom corners like 4th row. Of course, I would love to have great seats- I don't want to spend more than $400 (whatever I spend will be double as my wife made it clear however much I spend she expects to be spent on her for a new purse or shoes or whatever). I am feeling like it will only go down in cost and not up. 

I am super stoked for this weekend. SUPER pumped for the Raider game.... the stadium tour.... unfortunately a friend of mine came down with COVID but the silver lining is that she is giving me her VIP ticket for my convention so I get some cool extra perks.... listen to Molly Bloom (VIP meet and greet too... she is hot), Magic Johnson and Simon Sinek (VIP Q&A with him... what would you ask him if you had the chance?) and tons of industry stuff I am jacked up plus seeing tons of awesome people! Grab in In n Out burger too. It is going to be a good weekend!
Get brunch at Hash House-a-Go Go.

It's really not healthy, but you're staying at Excalibur, so you don't seem to be too worried about that. 😘

Bradley is going to blitz less than almost any other coordinator in the NFL but it certainly still happens.  The blitz the offense doesn't expect is almost always going to be to most impactful.  Lamar Jackson's OT fumble is a great example of that.

A warning. Brissett had the team in position for 2 TDs and 2 FGs. Parker drops a perfectly thrown 30 yard pass in the endzone and Grant fumbles on the 5. Brissett kept plays alive with his ability to run and break tackles, he's strong and fast enough. All with pressure on over half the plays. And 5 or 6 drops. I'll take the over as I think LV will also score points. 

At least historically, Brissett has been most successful using his arm strength to push the ball deep.  That is going to be very difficult to do against Bradley's scheme.  That's true he has some running ability, but that has also been a catalyst for him holding onto the ball way too long.  If the Raiders can build a lead and Brissett is back there waiting for a WR to out run a cover 3, it's going to a very long day for him.

Good article. 

I could jump in with why I don't see much of a difference in his play and back it with stats but I am heading out to the airport in just a bit. 

The one thing I would argue against is that the defense scheme is as simple as he makes it out. From what I have read in other articles that laid this out in much detail... Bradley has evolved the defense to be progressively more varied than just Cover 3 each snap and challenge the other team to beat them. Bradley does not seem to be committed to Cover 3 win, lose or die but will make changes as needed.... this article even pointed out his use of Hayward differently than with guys like Sherman. As for not blitzing.... I think every DC would prefer to rush 4 and not blitz if that 4 is getting good pressure. We have a good rotation of guys in the middle that can pressure from inside and of course Max and Yannick on the edge. If we don't get the pressure, I think there will be more blitzing called in but there will never a ton of it as that is not the philosophy. Regardless, teams will need to do a MUCH better job at stopping not only Max, Yannick, Nassib, Cle, Hankins, Philon, Jefferson, and Thomas before we have to worry about that. The article pointed out that the tackles of the two teams we faced may have been because of weaker Tackle play but I don't think Thomas was going against the Tackles on his two sacks. So, some of this article, though it was a good one, is obviously trying to make a point more than anything. 

I absolutely agree though... the D doesn't have to win the games for us. Our offense can win. We needed the D to not be a liability and I think that is done. The question now is, can this D be a game winner for us as well? I think it can. 

Dysfunction or genius in Miami? We saw what Maxx did 2 weeks ago. Eichenberg is a rookie who might start at LT, LG, or RT. 

>>Eichenberg said he continues to play both guard and tackle in practice this week. Dolphins have been trying to figure out where he's the best fit - with the players around him - and have had him prepared to play 3 positions.<<

https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1441100492696788999?s=19
I don't think you do that to confuse a defense. It would do much more harm to the Oline than the defense. Do they have injuries? I didn't see that many in the injury report. Shouldn't you have figured this kind of thing out by now?

Chadstroma said:
I don't think you do that to confuse a defense. It would do much more harm to the Oline than the defense. Do they have injuries? I didn't see that many in the injury report. Shouldn't you have figured this kind of thing out by now?
The point I was trying to make was dysfunction. Injuries aren't the concern. Poor draft picks, like LT Austin Jackson, are the main problem.

Sarlakticacid said:
I was taking it as a pessimistic view on KC. After a billion years we don’t have to face them coming of a bye this time 
It's a subversive Kansas City (via Haiti) voodoo plot to transfer KC's general malaise (the bad kind) onto Las Vegas!

Users who are viewing this thread