What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (1 Viewer)

Drake is a great compliment to Jacobs. Speed to Jacobs hard running and can take over if Jacobs goes down. Booker impressed me last year well beyond my expectations but this is a clear upgrade to change of pace and backup duties. 
I agree.  Defense?  It’s money lost on improving the D

I still need to see the details before I judge. $3M this year, $8M next and the rest in incentives and I’m dancing a jig. Drake has much more to offer than Booker IMO.

Way more concerned about paying Sol Thomas $5 MM than I am paying Drake that same amount. One guy is a proven producer, the other just a flyer at this point. I like the idea of kicking tires on reclamations like Thomas, but at this point, in this FA period $5 MM is a fairly big number. I wonder if it's fully guaranteed, or if they can cut him without a hit, if he shows up to camp and stinks.

Drake OTOH, is a legit weapon. He is a better version of Richard. Potentially much better. Now Richard becomes expendable, if needed, and would open up ~$2.5 MM in cap, meaning Drake is could be more like a $3 MM upgrade in terms of 2021 cap, rather than a full $5.5 MM cost. Fill out the RB room with a late round rookie to groom and you have the makings of a very fine RB corps.

Jacobs and Drake compliment each other well IMO. Similar overall skillsets - Drake has more speed/big play ability, while Jacobs has more power and better vision. Last year when they brought in Booker the receiving element went away; and when they brought in Richard, the running threat did. Drake, like Jacobs brings both elements in a dynamic and explosive way. Having both will hopefully keep both guys fresh and healthy, whereas last two years I sensed a big dip when Jacobs came off the field, and I think that kept him on the field more - to his own and the Raiders detriment as the season wore on.

This was clearly Gruden's mad scientist pick. If it takes the offense from top 10 to top 5 (and I think it can if the OL holds up), then it's well worth the extra $3 MM in cap IMO.

riddick resigned 1.175M  carrier, TE as well.

very curious as to who they kept/released from the 11M with of futures contract.  supposedly, those decisions were to be made today.  but with all the delayed reporting of moves, so far, zero news about it.

Maybe we shouldn’t have been completely blindsided by the Raiders decision to move on from Pro Bowl center Rodney Hudson.

Just days before Hudson was traded (and before news broke that he would be released), The Athletic’s Vic Tafur talked about Andre James and said he felt the Raiders should consider moving on from Hudson in favor of the 23 year-old backup center.

“I think it’s funny how they are making all these big changes, but to me the most obvious one is Rodney Hudson,” Tafur last week on the State Of The Nation podcast.

“I’m not saying Rodney isn’t a great player, but I think of all the young players on their team who they feel comfortable with as far as confidence that he can step in and do a good job is Andre James. They are very high on Andre James. Which makes it weird that they spend all this money on a center when they have one who is dirt cheap who they think can do the job, as well. I know he’s not the same level as Rodney Hudson, but to me that would be the much more obvious move to make if you’re trying to trim your offensive line salary cap… I think everyone on the [Raiders] staff will tell you he’s ready to start in the NFL.

Certainly James is an immediate downgrade from Hudson, but considering Hudson didn’t want to be with the Raiders any longer, the decision to move on makes even more sense. A factor in the Raiders decision to accommodate Hudson was surely the fact that they are so high on James.

For what it’s worth, James is a restricted free agent in 2022, so he should have plenty of motivation to play well this year. A strong performance in 2021 could lead to a big payday for James much sooner than later.
https://www.raidersbeat.com/look-what-raiders-insider-said-about-andre-james-just-days-before-the-release-of-rodney-hudson/

This move certainly has blow up in your face potential. Or it could mean similar play from an ascending player + a 3rd round pick (which they hopefully won't whiff on, again) + $2 MM in cap savings this year and another $10 MM next year. Let's see what happens...

• Smile
Reactions: One
Am I the only one that thinks regardless of the terms of the contract a backup RB at anywhere near that kind of money wasn’t a priority? Effing Gruden 🤣🤣

Am I the only one that thinks regardless of the terms of the contract a backup RB at anywhere near that kind of money wasn’t a priority? Effing Gruden 🤣🤣
Nope. Most posters, in this thread and across the internet, from what I am seeing very much agree with you. :)

I am the kooky one. I am an admitted RB believer though - relative to consensus.

Atomic Punk said:
Has anyone seen a breakdown of the contract by year? It could be heavily backloaded which would totally change my opinion on it. And I’m not all that sour on to begin with.
Just found this in the news blogger: 

Updating previous reports, Las Vegas Raiders RB Kenyan Drake received a two-year, $11 million deal. He'll earn $3 million in 2021 and $8 million in 2022 with a $5.5 million roster bonus that's fully guaranteed. The deal is worth a maximum of $14.5 million.
I'm also interested to see where the bonuses kick in. 

$3M for Drake to 'backup' Jacobs, I'm in. 
I have a feeling even the $8M in 2022 will look decent after the cap increases and all of these 1 year deals expire.  I think this backfield is more set up to be Chubb/Hunt than Barkley/Booker.  

CFB Sicko said:
Curious to see how the genius John Gruden figures this out. Gotta be o-line first 3/5 picks this year, yeah?
Very likely, especially since his ego has been fueled by being right about Kolton Miller. 

If Darrisaw or Mayfield is there at #17 one of them could very easily be a Raider. 

CFB Sicko said:
Curious to see how the genius John Gruden figures this out. Gotta be o-line first 3/5 picks this year, yeah?
They have four picks in the first three rounds. I'm expecting at least one of those to be OL, maybe two. Lots of banter about the demise of the Raiders OL, but most of it has been surface reaction without full context. Raiders OL was super deep last season - some of those stellar backups will now become starters.

I like the Yannick and Drake signings.  

No idea how the Watson/Wilson stuff will pan out, but there’s still 2 publicly disgruntled QBs and the Raiders are one of the few teams that can give back a solid QB. 

It’s looking better to me as we go. 🤙🏽

They have four picks in the first three rounds. I'm expecting at least one of those to be OL, maybe two. Lots of banter about the demise of the Raiders OL, but most of it has been surface reaction without full context. Raiders OL was super deep last season - some of those stellar backups will now become starters.
A lot of moves made on the Oline but in the end really the only difference is Hudson is gone. 

Jackson wasn't a surprise. He had s slight bounce back last year but hasn't been playing like his promise was early in career. 

Good was a soldier and the glue last year. He is back. Incognito is back with a smaller cap number. RT was a question all last year and currently still is. 

Miller is the rock. 

I have read some total BS on the net where the writers clearly didn't watch Raider games last year lamenting the line being blown up. It is more about losing a C and still needing to replace the RT. Hardly close to the drivel coming out because of so many moves. 

Bears released Kyle Fuller and Cincy cut Geno Atkins. Two older vets I wouldn't mind seeing added to the D.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best case scenarios for our oline seems to be ok, even with RT yet to be sorted. 

The line did well last year because of it's depth. The team found good backups, and now they are starters. Replacing those backups with good backups is a challenge. 

Simpson, in his 2nd year out of a big program, really needs to be pushing Richie for the starting job.  

The good news: looking to restructure Nassib to save $5 million in cap space. 

The bad news: looking to restructure Nassib which means if he flops again, it will be veru hard to get rid of him after next year. 

Sometimes I have to laugh... 

We need to spend 💰 on the defense!

Team sheds 💰 in the position group money is tied up in and starts spending in D.... 

OH MY GOD! THE OLINE!

🤣

The good news: looking to restructure Nassib to save $5 million in cap space. 

The bad news: looking to restructure Nassib which means if he flops again, it will be veru hard to get rid of him after next year. 
Meh, it'll just put some dead money down the road at some point. Let's say that 5 mil is all dead money if we cut him next year. Past June 1, and it's 2.5 per year. 

Considering the player, the above scenario, seems likely. I wonder if I could bet on that somewhere? 😒

Meh, it'll just put some dead money down the road at some point. Let's say that 5 mil is all dead money if we cut him next year. Past June 1, and it's 2.5 per year. 

Considering the player, the above scenario, seems likely. I wonder if I could bet on that somewhere? 😒
Yup and that dead money down the road is less valuable than the cap savings this particular year. The cap is expected to go WAY up next year to catch back up to the trend that was broken by covid.

Ju Ju stays in Pitts. 

Sounds like it was the Chefs, Ravens and Steelers at the end... he took less money to stay put.

Nassib was bad but most contracts we have done have been team friendly in structure 
From this front office? 

When I look at their Spotrac page, I don't see a lot of team options. 

I'm not for sure, I might dig into that later. That doesn't sound right to me though. Maybe I just have Nassib/Mariota on the brain.

The #3 and #4 highest cap hits on the team are Mariota and Nassib. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/carl-nassib-19014/

Nassib contract. The previous front office had no contracts that looked like this. This contract is a flaming dumpster having an abortion while crashing into a school bus full of blind kids. 
Today is the day his 2021 salary ($3.5 MM) would have fully guaranteed. They could have cut him today, eating his $5.75 MM previously guaranteed roster bonus as dead cap, while freeing up the $3.5 MM, plus another $250k in workout bonus, for a total 2021 cap savings of $3.75 MM. Doing this would have removed any future cap hits or dead money beyond this season.

Instead they decided to keep him by restructuring, which freed up $4.13 MM cap this year, but leaves a $4.13 MM dead cap charge next year, if they cut him then. BUT, now if they cut him during preseason, everything accelerates and they take a $9.25 MM dead cap charge this year, essentially missing out on the $3.75 MM cap and cash savings they could've had by cutting him today. His odds of making the 2021 roster just shot up, based on this restructure.

---

TL;DR (and or didn't make sense) - They could've cut him today and accrued ~the same cap savings for 2021 as with this restructure. But by redo'ing his deal, they all but recommitted to him for 2021 and he's now a roster lock most likely. If he doesn't make the final 53, this new freed up cap goes away and they will have paid him another $3.5 MM for nothing.

From this front office? 

When I look at their Spotrac page, I don't see a lot of team options. 

I'm not for sure, I might dig into that later. That doesn't sound right to me though. Maybe I just have Nassib/Mariota on the brain.
Most of their contracts have had cap-friendly outs after one or two years. The problem is that a couple of their busts (Littleton & Nassib were restructured before the 2nd year out, kicking the can) and a couple others (Ty Williams, Joyner) weren't cut after year one, when they easily could've been.

Mariota's contract is a good example. It's a two year deal, but in reality was a one year deal, with a team option for year #2. They can cut him right now with zero dead cap. They aren't doing so because they are trying to lever some trade compensation or get him to take a pay cut to stay. His contract is an ~$11 MM lever in cap room right now. They probably would have cut him if the right FA had come along and they needed the space. And still could, but otherwise, why pull the lever if you don't need to. Wait it out and see if a team can be squeezed for a 2nd or 3rd round pick later, once injuries strike the QB field. That could happen as late as midseason, and the freed cap and pick would be rolled into 2022.

McMillan signed with Pats. 

Probably not a fit for this defense. The dude is a run stuffer but total liability in the passing game. A good situational piece that will likely excel in NE as they use him on early, short and goaline downs. 

Thank you for this information. I will recant it. I hope this is accurate.

Sometimes I have to laugh... 

We need to spend 💰 on the defense!

Team sheds 💰 in the position group money is tied up in and starts spending in D.... 

OH MY GOD! THE OLINE!

🤣
It did look like the Raiders were shedding 4 out of 5 pieces of a strong OL and not getting anything in return and not having replacements.   Turns out C and a G were covered with promising young players and Incognito was coming back to fill in the other G position.  RT needs addressed of course and a couple of depth player are needed.  

Im back on the upswing with the off season.  Weeeeeeeeeeee.   What a roller coaster.  

BREAKING NEWS*******************************************************************

#Raiders have been given back the 6th round pick they had previously been docked by NFL for COVID violations. They have pick 200.

BREAKING NEWS**********************************************************************

RAIDERS now have 8 draft picks - No. 17, No. 48, No. 79 (from AZ for Hudson), No. 80, No. 121, No. 162, No. 167 (from SEA for Jackson) AND #200.

“The biggest factor was, I had to think about my career,” Brown said. “I actually turned down more money to come here. I felt like it was the best decision for my career, so I had to put everything else aside and had to try to decide what would make me happy at the end of the day.”

“The biggest factor was, I had to think about my career,” Brown said. “I actually turned down more money to come here. I felt like it was the best decision for my career, so I had to put everything else aside and had to try to decide what would make me happy at the end of the day.”
Which Brown turd are you quoting here - Huey or Clown?

BREAKING NEWS*******************************************************************

#Raiders have been given back the 6th round pick they had previously been docked by NFL for COVID violations. They have pick 200.

BREAKING NEWS**********************************************************************
the Raiders, who were also fined a a large amount for breaking protocol, must have presented a compelling case to actually win the appeal.
Yeah, compelling case, as in so many other coaches did the exact same with their face masks. Plus let's not forget Walrus Reid who wore that foggy-### surgical faceguard all season, which was doing absolutely nothing to contain his Corona or non-Corona spew. Finally, something that makes sense in this muther-trucking world.

Lol, it's a quote from John Brown, our new receiver. Said he took less money to come to Raiders. 
Wow, interesting, I thought that was a Trent Brown quote too.

It would also lead me to believe they are done adding receivers as some people thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, interesting, I thought that was a Trent Brown quote too.

It would also lead me to believe they are done adding receivers as some people thought.
Hope not.  That is a tiny and often injured group.   Waller owners have to be excited though.  

Bad news brothers... we are bringing Nevin Lawson back. Not so fun fact for you.... Lawson had never had an NFL INT. That is 88 game appearances and 68 starts between the Lions and Raiders and never an INT. 

:thumbdown:  

:sadbanana:

:bag:

:censored:

LawFitz said:
Nope. Most posters, in this thread and across the internet, from what I am seeing very much agree with you. :)

I am the kooky one. I am an admitted RB believer though - relative to consensus.
Magical Foozball aside, I actually really like the Drake signing in terms of improving the offense. For a couple of seasons, people seem to have been under the impression that Jacobs was an above average pass catching back who wasn’t utilized as such enough.

The signing seems to indicate that perhaps jacobs simply isn’t as good of a receiver as the Raiders would like. And from a standpoint of scheming offenses, it sure is a luxury to be able to run some formations with both Jacobs and Drake in the backfield to keep defenses off guard.

Jacobs is a great running back, but too many times he ran into a pile last year. Perhaps the presence of Drake opens things up. And also to many times, it seemed like car didn’t have a dump off option under pressure. drake’s it seems to fulfill both of those needs.

but as I said before, I do see the signing as more of a luxury item than a milk, eggs and bread signing. If they can address those in the draft, then drake could be an ex factor for this offense.

my buddy who owns jacobs in our dynasty league is ready to slash his wrists though. :lol:  

Chadstroma said:
Bad news brothers... we are bringing Nevin Lawson back. Not so fun fact for you.... Lawson had never had an NFL INT. That is 88 game appearances and 68 starts between the Lions and Raiders and never an INT. 

:thumbdown:  

:sadbanana:

:bag:

:censored:
don't worry!  

they signed 2 rb's, a scrub TE and a center.  because they let one of, if not their best, player go...a center.  nick martin was making big money, and was the texans starting center.  i guess they're not that high on james :oldunsure:   no news on his salary yet.

F the D!!  who needs one?!?  not jon gruden!!

don't worry!  

they signed 2 rb's, a scrub TE and a center.  because they let one of, if not their best, player go...a center.  nick martin was making big money, and was the texans starting center.  i guess they're not that high on james :oldunsure:   no news on his salary yet.

F the D!!  who needs one?!?  not jon gruden!!
Y’all have a lot of draft picks though:

Round 1, Pick No. 17
Round 2, Pick No. 48
Round 3, Pick No. 79 (ARI)
Round 3, pick No. 80
Round 4, Pick No. 121
Round 5, Pick No. 162 (MIA)
Round 5, Pick No. 167 (SEA)

17 is likely to be a good player available. So long as the ghost of Al doesn’t make Gru draft a WR who runs a 4.25 40, or a fat but awesome Serbian kicker there, it’s bound to be a good defensive player or OL 

48 there should also be some talent on the board on defense. They got 79 from ‘Zona, and they go back to back at 80. 

the only wild card is that it’s Gruden making the picks. 

thoughts & prayers 

I am good with the off season so far. They addressed the pass rush and I like how they did it. They brought in one of the top available pass rushers who compliments what we already have very well. 

They brought on a DT who knows the system and is good for at least 3 sacks. And giving a guy who was seen as all-world talent coming out of the draft, whom I think has been played out of position, a chance to energize his career.... if he lives up to half of his draft expectations, he will make an impact. 

They brought back Hankins and Morrow. 

I am good with Kwiat and Littleton (who I expect to have a major bounce back year) and Morrow at LB. 

We could use a vet CB. But really the one huge need is a FS. 

They did a lot of shedding cap money from the area we had the most. Jackson has played sub par the last couple of seasons, Brown basically didn't play and we got draft picks for them. Hudson was surprising but again we came out of it with something. For the most part, other than Hudson, the line is back where we were before heading into FA. Miller is solid. Good and Incognito are back, with Incognito costing $3 million less. We still need that RT. 

Brown, if healthy, is better than Agholar in my book as he doesn't get thr drops for no reason like Agholar does. If healthy is the big gamble here. 

Drake, though more money than I would have liked in terms of cap cost, is a great addition in a purely football sense. He brings more to the table, is an effective runner and can carry the load if Jacobs is out. 

The restructured a couple of deals to get some room. 

They are currently in a staring contest with Mariota and hopefully we trade him for value. 

I  happy so far. 

I am good with the off season so far. They addressed the pass rush and I like how they did it. They brought in one of the top available pass rushers who compliments what we already have very well. 

They brought on a DT who knows the system and is good for at least 3 sacks. And giving a guy who was seen as all-world talent coming out of the draft, whom I think has been played out of position, a chance to energize his career.... if he lives up to half of his draft expectations, he will make an impact. 

They brought back Hankins and Morrow. 

I am good with Kwiat and Littleton (who I expect to have a major bounce back year) and Morrow at LB. 

We could use a vet CB. But really the one huge need is a FS. 

They did a lot of shedding cap money from the area we had the most. Jackson has played sub par the last couple of seasons, Brown basically didn't play and we got draft picks for them. Hudson was surprising but again we came out of it with something. For the most part, other than Hudson, the line is back where we were before heading into FA. Miller is solid. Good and Incognito are back, with Incognito costing $3 million less. We still need that RT. 

Brown, if healthy, is better than Agholar in my book as he doesn't get thr drops for no reason like Agholar does. If healthy is the big gamble here. 

Drake, though more money than I would have liked in terms of cap cost, is a great addition in a purely football sense. He brings more to the table, is an effective runner and can carry the load if Jacobs is out. 

The restructured a couple of deals to get some room. 

They are currently in a staring contest with Mariota and hopefully we trade him for value. 

I  happy so far. 
Agree with most of this but think WR is thin.  Brown is inexpensive but not reliable.    The Raiders have the deep decoys.  One of Ruggs or Brown should be healthy most games to be the deep decoy to open things up but it would be nice to have a reliable WR.   

Agree with most of this but think WR is thin.  Brown is inexpensive but not reliable.    The Raiders have the deep decoys.  One of Ruggs or Brown should be healthy most games to be the deep decoy to open things up but it would be nice to have a reliable WR.   
I really thought JuJu was gonna be the FA add of the year for Oakland. They have the field-stretchers. They still need a chain mover.  JuJu would have been a perfect fit. 

I’m not sure how they address that - maybe in the draft, but if they’re taking a possession receiver at 17, that’s...less than ideal. 

I’d have to look to see who’s still left unsigned - maybe I’m missing someone who could fill that role. 

I really thought JuJu was gonna be the FA add of the year for Oakland. They have the field-stretchers. They still need a chain mover.  JuJu would have been a perfect fit. 

I’m not sure how they address that - maybe in the draft, but if they’re taking a possession receiver at 17, that’s...less than ideal. 

I’d have to look to see who’s still left unsigned - maybe I’m missing someone who could fill that role. 
The unpopular pick at #17 would be Kadarius Toney. He's a shifty, Swiss Army knife WR perfect for Gruden's scheme and would make an excellent check down target for Carr. 

I know the needs, BPA on defense and Oline but this is the Raiders. Smart draft choices in the 1st round are just not their MO. History proves this, and is the main reason they haven't won a playoff game in 20 years.

We still have Renfrow.  I think he gets overlooked sometimes.

Brown should be solid.  Hopefully Ruggs and Edwards make a leap.  Renfrow is reliable.  Waller is a monster.  

The key is Ruggs and Edwards making a leap.

Users who are viewing this thread