What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (5 Viewers)

Great thread title change, Hank!!! I concur. I don't want to see Hill get another ring but I certainly don't want to see Brown get one either. Two "high quality class act" people there.

I'm rooting for a tie...

Count me as not being Uber patient. 
You've been uber patient, Doc. 😉 You've seen nearly a calendar year's worth of what could be summed up as below mediocre.

Can anybody on the board say without lying they're happy with where the team is at after 3 years of Gruden? That when Gruden was introduced as head coach, if somebody told you he'd be 17-29, that the offense would be considerably improved, that the defense would be woefully inadequate and that there doesn't appear to be a sound foundation in place to build on (I know that's subjective), you'd have said, "Sign me up"? That this is about where you thought they'd be? Sure, they've been in the playoff hunt late in the season the last two years but the league is such that lots of teams could say that.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the Gruden regime—when I consider everything about the team—a 4, below average.

Others?

4 sounds about right.  3.5 when i factor in 100 million and 10 years.  

anyone have any info on agohlor?  rumors are surfacing that he doesn't like the culture of the organization.  to me, that screams gruden and to a lesser extent, davis.  no clue if it's legit or not.  worrisome though.

i mentioned this when they hired gruden.  i don't think he gets the young kids, that are today's game.  all the screaming and funny faces, doesn't hold much water with kids these days.  at least, that's what mine tells me.   :lmao:  

Great observation! You really see quality football with these teams, not teams like the Raiders (and many others) that run hot and cold. And I forgot what good coaching was like because I haven't seen it in so long. LaFleur and Stefanski are outstanding...the way Gruden used to be.
Gruden is still a really good offensive coach.  He needs a strong defensive coordinator, hopefully Bradley fits the bill.

I'm not saying LaFleur is not a good coach and I wish the Raiders could get to the playoffs never  mind the conference title game, but LaFleur has melted down two years in a row in the NFC title game.  They got blasted against the Niners two years ago and this year he had a really rough game.  Besides kicking the field goal late he never adjusted to the Bucs D during the game.  His tackles were getting killed all game vs Barrett and JPP and he left them one on one the whole game.

You've been uber patient, Doc. 😉 You've seen nearly a calendar year's worth of what could be summed up as below mediocre.

Can anybody on the board say without lying they're happy with where the team is at after 3 years of Gruden? That when Gruden was introduced as head coach, if somebody told you he'd be 17-29, that the offense would be considerably improved, that the defense would be woefully inadequate and that there doesn't appear to be a sound foundation in place to build on (I know that's subjective), you'd have said, "Sign me up"? That this is about where you thought they'd be? Sure, they've been in the playoff hunt late in the season the last two years but the league is such that lots of teams could say that.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the Gruden regime—when I consider everything about the team—a 4, below average.

Others?
I'd agree, 4 sounds about right. Here's the problem with the Raiders as i see it:

Spending a 1st round draft pick on Johnathan Abram. It's a reach, simple as that. Look at the teams in the Super Bowl. KC L'Jarius Sneed, Juan Thornhill. TB Winfield Jr and Sean Murphy-Bunting. These players are making a huge impact on their respective defenses, and not one 1st round draft pick in the bunch. 

Everyone talks about the QBs, understandably so, but it's the scouting and drafting of the other positions that really makes the difference.  I used Abram as one example, but one could go up and down the Raiders roster and compare it to the teams in the league with top notch front offices and see where the Raiders are dropping the ball. It's not always about Derek Carr vs Patrick Mahomes but Sneed vs Abram, Chris Jones vs Maurice Hurst. I hope Mayock and Gruden take a long hard look in the mirror this offseason and examine the job they've been doing because theres no excuse for how lousy that defense has become.  And it starts at the top...

I'd agree, 4 sounds about right. Here's the problem with the Raiders as i see it:

Spending a 1st round draft pick on Johnathan Abram. It's a reach, simple as that. Look at the teams in the Super Bowl. KC L'Jarius Sneed, Juan Thornhill. TB Winfield Jr and Sean Murphy-Bunting. These players are making a huge impact on their respective defenses, and not one 1st round draft pick in the bunch. 

Everyone talks about the QBs, understandably so, but it's the scouting and drafting of the other positions that really makes the difference.  I used Abram as one example, but one could go up and down the Raiders roster and compare it to the teams in the league with top notch front offices and see where the Raiders are dropping the ball. It's not always about Derek Carr vs Patrick Mahomes but Sneed vs Abram, Chris Jones vs Maurice Hurst. I hope Mayock and Gruden take a long hard look in the mirror this offseason and examine the job they've been doing because theres no excuse for how lousy that defense has become.  And it starts at the top...
First I heard Abram was a stretch. 

I am willing to bet that you will see a marked improvement in his play in the new system and under Gus. I bet most players will improve. The biggest issue with the defense we noted for many players was them looking lost or out of place. We have brought over players that played well elsewhere but floundered with us. Why? I believe is they didn't "get" the system. Whether it was too complicated or not implemented or coached well or gameplannned poorly... or all of the above... I don’t know. But I think our players knowing what they are doing is going to make a huge difference. 

The only question is if the trade off on the system being "simple" will make it too easy to attack. However, I posted an article a bit back that dived into that subject and how Gus has evolved the cover 3 base system he uses. 

First I heard Abram was a stretch. 

I am willing to bet that you will see a marked improvement in his play in the new system and under Gus. I bet most players will improve. The biggest issue with the defense we noted for many players was them looking lost or out of place. We have brought over players that played well elsewhere but floundered with us. Why? I believe is they didn't "get" the system. Whether it was too complicated or not implemented or coached well or gameplannned poorly... or all of the above... I don’t know. But I think our players knowing what they are doing is going to make a huge difference. 

The only question is if the trade off on the system being "simple" will make it too easy to attack. However, I posted an article a bit back that dived into that subject and how Gus has evolved the cover 3 base system he uses. 
I hear you Chad, I've been racking my brain over their defensive woes and it can't be just as simple as firing the DC. Ken Norton Jr as a recent example. Then on the other hand the Chiefs (sorry for bringing them up again but they are the champs) fired their DC and brought in (name escapes me, but you see my point) a new guy and the defense did a 180°. But that can't be solely attributable to the new DC. We have to account the front office for smart draft choices like Sneed and Thornhill and excellent free agents like Mathieu (sp?). Its the organization as a whole being smart. Making the DC the scapegoat is fine, but your players you drafted better perform at a higher level, because the next next on the chopping block won't be Mark Davis', know what I mean? The pressure is completely on Mayock and Gruden now, no more shifting blame.

I hear you Chad, I've been racking my brain over their defensive woes and it can't be just as simple as firing the DC. Ken Norton Jr as a recent example. Then on the other hand the Chiefs (sorry for bringing them up again but they are the champs) fired their DC and brought in (name escapes me, but you see my point) a new guy and the defense did a 180°. But that can't be solely attributable to the new DC. We have to account the front office for smart draft choices like Sneed and Thornhill and excellent free agents like Mathieu (sp?). Its the organization as a whole being smart. Making the DC the scapegoat is fine, but your players you drafted better perform at a higher level, because the next next on the chopping block won't be Mark Davis', know what I mean? The pressure is completely on Mayock and Gruden now, no more shifting blame.
I am not looking for blame. I am looking for evidence that tells a story. The story that I sm reading is that the defense under performed because the players were not where they were supposed to be (a common theme among players) and/or thinking too much (Littleton seems to be a good example) and/or asked to a position, roll or to do things they were not well suited for (Joyner is a good example). 

I don't think that the only issue was DC but when I try to figure out the problems with our defense, I think the change of DC will make for an improved defense just on the roster we have. How much improvement? I have no clue but it wouldn't take that much improvement for us to be a 10+ win team. 

i'm not sure how much is on the players, and how much is on the d coaches.

using abrams as an example, guy does not cover for ####.  he's really bad.  he's often WAAAAAAAY out of position, usually looking for the big hit.  which in turn, injures him.   :rolleyes:   is that just who he is?  or can he be 'coached up'?  i think he listens to his press and is always trying to live up to the big hitter rep.  maybe the right coach changes that.  who knows.

people are saying that bradley is going to recreate the legion of boom.  uh....we don't have those players.  

here are the SD, team defense, rankings under bradley  3, 8, 14, 23.  not trending in the right direction.  better than the raiders  but they had/have better players.

Gruden is still a really good offensive coach.  He needs a strong defensive coordinator, hopefully Bradley fits the bill.

I'm not saying LaFleur is not a good coach and I wish the Raiders could get to the playoffs never  mind the conference title game, but LaFleur has melted down two years in a row in the NFC title game.  They got blasted against the Niners two years ago and this year he had a really rough game.  Besides kicking the field goal late he never adjusted to the Bucs D during the game.  His tackles were getting killed all game vs Barrett and JPP and he left them one on one the whole game.
Good points, Icon. Didn't see two years ago but I watched Sunday. Not his finest hour for sure. But I watched his press conference and I thot it was refreshing when he was asked "did you regret not going for the TD" and he said "I did." In the same situation Gruden would have likely said, "No, I don't. That was the call we (I) made. It just didn't work out."

And he says too often when things don't fall right in a game "It's on me." We know that, Jon. Everybody knows that. Do something about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we're talking Abram I took a look at a couple of his scouting reports. A few snippets that jumped out:

• Unlikely to handle coverage duties on the backend (or as Da Raiders said, "guy does not cover for ####." 😆)

• Edgy playing style lacks control at times (boy, ain't that the truth...)

• Very tough and very competitive

• Plays like an extra linebacker (someone on the board mentioned a little while back about making him a linebacker. The Raiders need linebackers... 🤔)

• Has size and strength to match on tight ends unless they're Travis Kelce (I may have edited that one a little)

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/johnathan-abram/32194142-5215-9741-f276-aebd8758d3ad

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2019jabram.php

I mentioned this when they hired gruden.  i don't think he gets the young kids, that are today's game.  all the screaming and funny faces, doesn't hold much water with kids these days.  at least, that's what mine tells me.   :lmao:  
Haha! Even in his better days Gruden had an act that wears on people I seem to recall. But he's certainly not alone in that. A lot of coaches in a lot of sports through the years have that label.

@Stompin' Tom ConnorsCarr trade rumors are heating up.  Any thoughts or feelings about the possibility of Carr going?  
I don't buy it. We would need to land Watson for this to make any sense.  Is it worth it? Yes, I believe Watson > Carr but by how much? And does that difference between them make the difference we need? How long would Watson need to really grasp the more complicated offense? But most importantly, how much do we need to give up to make that happen?

Who is going to give us the trade capital we need to get Watson? I mean, if a team is going to cough up two 1st rounders for Carr then why not go a little further and make the play for Watson? 

This all feels to me off season click bait and idle hands. 

I would be willing to bet that even after Watson's future is decided that there will be more trade rumors that amount to nothing with Carr. Why? Again, click bait and idle hands plus bias against Carr. 

I don't buy it. We would need to land Watson for this to make any sense.  Is it worth it? Yes, I believe Watson > Carr but by how much? And does that difference between them make the difference we need? How long would Watson need to really grasp the more complicated offense? But most importantly, how much do we need to give up to make that happen?

Who is going to give us the trade capital we need to get Watson? I mean, if a team is going to cough up two 1st rounders for Carr then why not go a little further and make the play for Watson? 

This all feels to me off season click bait and idle hands. 

I would be willing to bet that even after Watson's future is decided that there will be more trade rumors that amount to nothing with Carr. Why? Again, click bait and idle hands plus bias against Carr. 
I know my thoughts in here are the devil....and this is going to sound really Chief's homerish.....but I don't really think any QB worth their salt wants any part of coming to the AFC west.....if you were Watson, would you want to go to the same division as Mahomes for the next 10 years....?   really?...and possibly fighting for at best a wild card spot most years.....?...of course the natural response is to puff out and pound the chest and say " I want to play against the best and beat the best, etc"....and they aren't going to be that good for that long, they can't keep everybody etc....but we all know that bravado ends up being a bunch of crap most of the time when the rubber hits the road...but this is also a business decision at some point.....I think players do factor in who else is in the division and the easiest "path" to winning sometimes and what that means for their career and future $$$....whether thats in FA or whatever...can almost bet LVR, LAC, and DEN were the first teams crossed off of Brady's list...

I live in CO and Bronco fans/radio think they can go get him too...Watson has the no trade, so he has a little leverage in this....so LVR or DEN would have to give HOU a deal so much better than anybody else to where HOU tells Watson "this offer is so good you either agree to go to DEN or LVR or we aren't trading you".....my gut says Watson to the Jets is a done deal.....now the bigger question for LVR is how does Carr deal with this revelation that LVR would like to upgrade and move on from him even after his "great" year...but he should be used to it as it seems he has probably heard these things most every year of his career...

Offshoot-Would you take 2 first rounders for Carr and roll with Mariota?
I like Carr over Marriota but the defense needs so much help that I would not pass up the deal to obtain those draft picks.  

I cant imagine any team giving up 2 first round picks for Carr.  

Offshoot-Would you take 2 first rounders for Carr and roll with Mariota?
I say no for 2 reasons:

- Carr is a main part of the reason why our offense is NOT the problem we need to solve (besides the WR situation)

- our record with first round picks doesn’t instill hope in me to turn these 2 1st rounders into anything close to the known quantity that Carr is. 

Watson > Carr, no argument.  It gets muddied to pick a side on that "or" statement when taking into account the compensation that would need to be added to get that deal done.   Now if you could guarantee that Watson could bring 10 sacks, 4 ints and a great 3rd down presence at the LBer position, than you'd have my attention. 

Carr >>> 2 First round picks.  I have no interest in starting down the Marcus path. 

joey said:
- our record with first round picks doesn’t instill hope in me to turn these 2 1st rounders into anything close to the known quantity that Carr is. 
I was trying really hard NOT to bring this up.  I think I annoyed Stompin Tom and he left with my constant complaining about the last few drafts   

Carr is a good QB but the D needs serious help.  If Gruden will make draft picks based on what most of the evaluators think instead of his flawed thinking, the Raiders could have better and acceptable drafts   The D would be improved in 2-3 years.   There are too many holes to fill for the D to improve over one season. 

Carr isn’t going to play any better.  The O isn’t going to play any better.  If the D doesn’t make a big improvement, the team is 8-8 most seasons and 10-6 at best.  Some seasons the Raiders may sneak into the playoffs but aren’t even making it to the AFC championship with a good O and the current or slightly improved D.  I say swing for the fences with Mariotta and the draft picks.  

I was trying really hard NOT to bring this up.  I think I annoyed Stompin Tom and he left with my constant complaining about the last few drafts   

Carr is a good QB but the D needs serious help.  If Gruden will make draft picks based on what most of the evaluators think instead of his flawed thinking, the Raiders could have better and acceptable drafts   The D would be improved in 2-3 years.   There are too many holes to fill for the D to improve over one season. 

Carr isn’t going to play any better.  The O isn’t going to play any better.  If the D doesn’t make a big improvement, the team is 8-8 most seasons and 10-6 at best.  Some seasons the Raiders may sneak into the playoffs but aren’t even making it to the AFC championship with a good O and the current or slightly improved D.  I say swing for the fences with Mariotta and the draft picks.  
Not a Mayock/Gruden pick but Rolando McClain was the "most evaluaters" thought and was what everyone said they should do.... how did that pan out? 

It is way too early to judge last years draft and the year before that was pretty dang good from the looks of it. (Though I know people will poo poo the class). 

Did you watch Mariota play with the Titans? If you think he will keep the offense a top ten offense... then I am not sure we are talking the same sport. 

This logic makes no sense to me... let's trade the QB that lead a top ten offense that another team will give two 1st round picks for becausehe sucks (cause the team giving up their future apparently think he doesn't suck?) and go with a clearly inferior QB and take more picks on guys who will suck because Gruden sucks at drafting. 

Huh?

That reported trade rumor that the Skins might give up 2 first rounders for Carr and then you guys flip those 2 and 2 1sts of your own for Watson is bonkers.

I don’t know what beat writer out there was reporting that one, but it seems crazy. The Skins already balked at giving up two 1sts for Stafford, they aren’t going to do that for Carr. I can’t see that happening. 

Not a Mayock/Gruden pick but Rolando McClain was the "most evaluaters" thought and was what everyone said they should do.... how did that pan out? 

It is way too early to judge last years draft and the year before that was pretty dang good from the looks of it. (Though I know people will poo poo the class). 

Did you watch Mariota play with the Titans? If you think he will keep the offense a top ten offense... then I am not sure we are talking the same sport. 

This logic makes no sense to me... let's trade the QB that lead a top ten offense that another team will give two 1st round picks for becausehe sucks (cause the team giving up their future apparently think he doesn't suck?) and go with a clearly inferior QB and take more picks on guys who will suck because Gruden sucks at drafting. 

Huh?
I did watch Mariota play with the Titans.  I also watched Ryan Tannehill play with the Dolphins.  Maybe Mariota would be the same guy he was with the Titans, but there is also a chance that the change of scenery and Gruden could elevate his play.  It was only one game, but I liked what I saw last year.  The thing I liked most was the game and plays Gruden called that were tailored to his strengths.

That logic makes not sense because that is not the logic of why to trade Carr.

No one is saying Carr sucks.  I don't understand why it's not possible to say he is just a good QB.  Somehow saying he is a good QB is equated with saying he sucks.

Huh?
I can live with making the right draft pick and having that pick be a miss.  It’s good to see the right process because the chances of hitting correctly on draft picks increases.  I cannot stand to watch the constant reaching for draft picks. The future looks very dim when most draft picks shouldn’t have been made in the first place and they are off the team in a couple of years (or months with Bowden).   

Carr is a better QB than Mariotta but how does the team become playoff caliber with Carr and limited draft capital?   It takes Gruden about 6 picks or one draft class to land a starter.  We need 5 new starters on D.  Now.   We still need that WR1 and the Oline is getting older.  We can stay with Carr and be average or roll the dice with Mariotta and obtain some desperately needed picks.  Who cares if we miss the playoffs at 8-8 or 4-12?   You are either one of the top 2-3 teams in the AFC and in the SB hunt or you don’t matter.   

I did watch Mariota play with the Titans.  I also watched Ryan Tannehill play with the Dolphins.  Maybe Mariota would be the same guy he was with the Titans, but there is also a chance that the change of scenery and Gruden could elevate his play.  It was only one game, but I liked what I saw last year.  The thing I liked most was the game and plays Gruden called that were tailored to his strengths.

That logic makes not sense because that is not the logic of why to trade Carr.

No one is saying Carr sucks.  I don't understand why it's not possible to say he is just a good QB.  Somehow saying he is a good QB is equated with saying he sucks.
Carr > Mariota

We can't win with Carr because he is only good. Less go with a lesser QB and then we will win.

Yea... still not buying it.

I can live with making the right draft pick and having that pick be a miss.  It’s good to see the right process because the chances of hitting correctly on draft picks increases.  I cannot stand to watch the constant reaching for draft picks. The future looks very dim when most draft picks shouldn’t have been made in the first place and they are off the team in a couple of years (or months with Bowden).   

Carr is a better QB than Mariotta but how does the team become playoff caliber with Carr and limited draft capital?   It takes Gruden about 6 picks or one draft class to land a starter.  We need 5 new starters on D.  Now.   We still need that WR1 and the Oline is getting older.  We can stay with Carr and be average or roll the dice with Mariotta and obtain some desperately needed picks.  Who cares if we miss the playoffs at 8-8 or 4-12?   You are either one of the top 2-3 teams in the AFC and in the SB hunt or you don’t matter.   
Feels like cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

It just doesn't make sense to downgrade from a top ten QB to get nothing in return since it seems those who want to do this trade also are of the opinion we can't draft. If we can't draft why do you want more picks? 

It just doesn't make any sense.

If they can get Watson that would be amazing.  They aren't good at choosing in the 1st round anyhow (and nobody is perfect) and a young elite QB is priceless. 

Oh... I think you guys got me busy enough with this Carr trade for picks. 

Carr for ultimately Watson... ok, I can see qnd understand that though I don't think that is possible or at least not for a price that makes sense. This Carr for picks thing though.... you guys are trying me.
For the record, I don’t think Carr goes anywhere and I am fine with that.  I totally agree that he is not the problem.  The problem is that there is no way to fill the holes on D, the WR1 is obtained, and the o line is kept at the top by adding one starter from FA and one from the draft each year.   

Let’s not run off chad too!   :lmao:

carr is not the problem. He’s not the solution either. The reason it’s tempting to get rid of him, for picks, is because picks/more players, is the solution.  This team desperately needs 5+players on d. A wr 1. Some more Oline .  To start with.  

And I agree with @DocHoliday it’s easier to live with the “correct” pick flaming out,  rather than some F’ing reach by  Gruden. The crying would be less if they took lamb or juedy   And the same could be said, if they took any of the 3 lbs, that went just after arnette. The crying would be about no dB, but at least the pick would have made sense and be solid. 

If they can get Watson that would be amazing.  They aren't good at choosing in the 1st round anyhow (and nobody is perfect) and a young elite QB is priceless. 
Watson > Carr

But at what cost? We don't need to and shouldn't break the bank for something that isn't broke.

For the record, I don’t think Carr goes anywhere and I am fine with that.  I totally agree that he is not the problem.  The problem is that there is no way to fill the holes on D, the WR1 is obtained, and the o line is kept at the top by adding one starter from FA and one from the draft each year.   
I think some of the holes will be filled with development of our very young team. We can add more talent from the draft. A scheme well executed will go a long way to improving the D and getting better play out of who we have. Offense should only mature and get better as most players are very young. Some questions on the line need to be answered and no reason to not expect our young weapons to improve. 

Let’s not run off chad too!   :lmao:

carr is not the problem. He’s not the solution either. The reason it’s tempting to get rid of him, for picks, is because picks/more players, is the solution.  This team desperately needs 5+players on d. A wr 1. Some more Oline .  To start with.  

And I agree with @DocHoliday it’s easier to live with the “correct” pick flaming out,  rather than some F’ing reach by  Gruden. The crying would be less if they took lamb or juedy   And the same could be said, if they took any of the 3 lbs, that went just after arnette. The crying would be about no dB, but at least the pick would have made sense and be solid. 
No... no it isn't. A failed pick is a failed pick. No better or worst living with it. 

No... no it isn't. A failed pick is a failed pick. No better or worst living with it. 
Agreed and I would rather have a GM and HC that takes the player they have the highest grade on.  If they continually miss they will be out of a job whether it's "reaches" or the consensus pick.  

i disagree.  i'm not debating if the pick sucked.  i'm saying that it's easier to live with a pick that made sense, that fails.  splitting hairs.  i'm just tired of the raiders, not just gruden, reaching at nearly every pick.

Agreed and I would rather have a GM and HC that takes the player they have the highest grade on.  If they continually miss they will be out of a job whether it's "reaches" or the consensus pick.  
I agree. 

I still trust Mayock's eye way more than I do group think. 

i disagree.  i'm not debating if the pick sucked.  i'm saying that it's easier to live with a pick that made sense, that fails.  splitting hairs.  i'm just tired of the raiders, not just gruden, reaching at nearly every pick.
That is on you then. I don't care if the pick is a reach or of it is what the mob thinks should happen. In the end, I don't care about what I thought or think, I do care about if we get better or not. That is all I care about and I don't care about the warm and fuzzies or lack of on the way. 

That is on you then. I don't care if the pick is a reach or of it is what the mob thinks should happen. In the end, I don't care about what I thought or think, I do care about if we get better or not. That is all I care about and I don't care about the warm and fuzzies or lack of on the way. 
:lmao:   fair enough.  i guess you could call it mob thinking, i'd prefer to go with common sense.

Users who are viewing this thread