What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (1 Viewer)

very interested in these 1st 15 picks.  we'll see if any other OL are taken before the raiders pick.  more fuel for my brilliant armchair drafting   :toilet:

miami might take one here

Before the draft, I would have agreed with you. And by no means am I defending the Leatherwood pick. But no one else drafted these guys in the 1st round when many teams had the needs. Maybe they just aren't 1st round grades....
I was being honest.  I hope I am wrong and Gruden got it right.  

massraider said:
I am glad they took the RT over the safety.

It's just a more important position, especially for us, a team that is going to need to outscore people.

Calling it now:  We draft Moehrig, and Raider Nation is now happy, cause if you just reverse the draft slots, no one is a reach.  🤣
Cough freaking cough.

💰

Cough freaking cough.

💰
You got tomorrow's powerball numbers, too? Very impressive call man.

I watched the draft offline and solo last night, and overreacted on our first round pick (admittedly like every other year), only to eat a plate of crow after seeing this pick and reading your posts.

Truly, if I've learned anything over the past few years watching the Raiders draft, it's that I, the overworked CPA from Texas, shockingly knows less about how talent evaluation works than an organization whose literal business is that exact thing.

Next year, I pledge to politely golf clap after every pick while sipping on my beverage of choice and then wait the necessary three to four years after the draft before levying any judgement privately to my wife.

So basically Moehrig's back caused the Raiders to flip their 1st and 2nd round picks to ensure they get both their guys. It's a bad look to the outsiders looking in, but makes sense now.

Crow doesn't taste half bad if you drench in ranch dressing...

Matt Miller

@nfldraftscout

Why is Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah still on the board? I reached out to a few scouts. Here are their replies:

"Scheme fit is really hard"

"No LB coaches at his pro day"

"He's 214 pounds"

"Mental lapses, not fast"

"Tape is fun, doesn't translate"

I like undersized interior DL with this type of profile...

MILTON WILLIAMS

LOUISIANA TECH - DT

6' 3"

284 lbs

31 1/2" Arms

HANDS

9 3/4" Hands

Pound for pound, Williams can match his toughness and strength with many of the interior defenders in this draft. Determining his best positional fit will be up to the team that drafts him, but he's a good football player who understands leverage and knows how to use his hands. He'll have some bumpy snaps from time to time due to a lack of length and overall mass, but it shouldn't be debilitating for his NFL career. Williams possesses twitchy power and short-area athleticism, but needs to continue the development of working the hands and feet as one to unlock his potential. His pass rush is relatively pedestrian at this time and will need to be upgraded to become more than just a good backup. Teams will weigh the tape and testing against subpar physical traits, but the end result could land him in the middle rounds as an upside talent.

Strengths

Tapered chest with dense, muscular frame and no bad weight.

Quick and powerful with above-average leverage.

Former high school basketball player with capable footwork.

Lifts with accurate hands and upward thrust into opponent.

Absorbs contact and keeps eyes into backfield.

Works with quick-win twitch against single blocks.

Play strength to displace block and make a play.

Plants his post leg and battles through the double-team.

Core strength fuels his balance and keeps him on his feet.

Hand slap to cave the edge and find pathway to the pocket.

Quality secondary rush effort.

Weaknesses

Might be caught between positions.

Lack of length and mass could be a concern.

Average first-step quickness up the field.

Effort expended versus big blockers delays his tackle readiness.

Needs to keep his feet near the ground to keep from getting bounced.

Reach blocks often find him.

Too far off the track when rush is widened out.

Needs to develop a go-to move.

Some of you 🤣

1st round... reach!!!

2nd round most everyone STEAL!... then you. "We will see" 

🤣
🤣🤣🤣

you're obviously talking to me. Both picks are in positions of need. Well done raiders!!! 

leathersood was a reach. I wanted nothing to do with moehrig,  hence the we’ll see. 

Go raiders!!!

After reports surfaced on Friday morning indicating that possible friction in the Raiders’ front office could lead to a big shake-up, a person with knowledge of the club’s thinking termed the speculation a “bunch of BS.”

The report came via Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network and said: “Word in league circles is a major shake-up in the Las Vegas Raiders’ front office will be coming soon after the draft and significant heads are expected to roll.”

The report suggested the Raiders’ selection of Alex Leatherwood with the 17th pick in the first round may have been the “final straw” in a series of recent draft picks that many pundits have deemed as reaches.

General manager Mike Mayock’s working relationship with coach Jon Gruden was examined in a story in the Review-Journal last Sunday, with indications that tension might exist between the two. Mayock is one of only seven general managers in the NFL who are generally acknowledged to report to the head coach.

But there is no indication that the Leatherwood pick was the result of anything but a collaboration between the two.

Mayock said after Thursday’s first round that Raiders decision-makers knew the selection of Leatherwood would be “controversial.”

“When we made the pick, we had the TVs on and obviously, I forget which group it was, but they were saying they could have had him in the second round and blah blah blah,” Mayock said. “I understand that. The fan base is going to listen to that, and the fan base is going to question it.”

But the Leatherwood pick being some sort of tipping point contradicts Mayock’s characterization of the staff-wide support for the selection, led by offensive line coach Tom Cable, who was an early advocate of Leatherwood.

“This might have been Tom’s favorite player in this entire class,” Mayock said. “I mean, Coach Cable has been all over him for months now since the first time he saw the tape. (Jon) Gruden loved this guy. Our scouts loved this guy.

“What I like is when the second floor in our building, which is all the coaches, and the third floor, which is all the scouts, when we’re united on a conversation like Leatherwood that makes me feel really good about the pick.”

Mayock’s description of the process that led the Raiders to Leatherwood certainly doesn’t suggest anyone went rogue with this pick. Even behind the scenes, the sense is the Raiders are excited about the addition of the Alabama All-American.

I just saw something but lost it where it was saying that Deablo played the rover position in the Cover 3 type defense at VT. 

Mayock did pretty good finding Maxx Crosby at a small school in the mid rounds. Hopefully he worked the same magic with Koonce. I've read some good things about him.

@Chadstroma

we'll see.   :lmao:  

koonce has sick stats.  MAC conference though.  same school as khalil mack.    thoughts?

deablo is bigger than JOK, maybe he'll out perform him.  if he's there to play safety, he'll have to beat out a few guys.  safety is surprisingly full now.  

although way too many pundits(for my tastes), have abrams and others, including these two picks, playing LB

:oldunsure:

for the record, i like both these picks.   

Dear RaidersNation,

MoP really feels for you and I do give credit to ownership for trying to go and put things back together(Gruden). I hope Leatherwood works out and Oakland truly needed some OL help but again as I posted in the Miami Dolphins thread, when you draft in order to plug holes you typically are not one of the better franchises in the NFL. Exceptions of course but it seems to ring true.

My problem with Gruden is we are going into Year 4 and you lost 3 OL in the off season and you have a huge hole on the OL, how did it get to that point? Why were there not at least 2-3 reserves you were grooming or teaching behind the guys you struck out on? 

Leatherwood is not a bad Tackle, he isn't. He's just doesn't seem like a franchise player is all I'm saying. He did provide very sound pass blocking for the guy who was drafted 2 spots ahead of him and run blocking for the guy 7 spots behind him. 
MoP, the Raiders o-line depth and very good performance last year when most of our starters were out with injury shows that we actually do have depth and groomed them well, specifically leading the Raiders brass to letting those 3 OLineman go (trading away 2, right?) and turning over the reigns to the young OL players. 
If I could have one player back, it would be our center Hudson. Would’ve loved to have him entire a Raider. But the team loves this young James kid at center and, with all of the questionable/underperforming draft picks and free agent moves that the Raiders have made over the past years, the offensive line is actually one (the only?) place that they have proven they can build a top OL. 

@Chadstroma

we'll see.   :lmao:  

koonce has sick stats.  MAC conference though.  same school as khalil mack.    thoughts?

deablo is bigger than JOK, maybe he'll out perform him.  if he's there to play safety, he'll have to beat out a few guys.  safety is surprisingly full now.  

although way too many pundits(for my tastes), have abrams and others, including these two picks, playing LB

:oldunsure:

for the record, i like both these picks.   
Deablo is interesting. I am still trying to figure out the Cover 3 scheme in terms of personnel (even though from what I have read, he has evolved past just doing the cover 3). 

He seems like the type of player that can cover those hard to play TE types that are too fast for LB's and too big for big for CB's. It kind of feels like this is a pick to match up against Kelce. But beyond Kelce teams love those guys when they can find them and it is hard to find defenders.to match up against them. 

MoP, the Raiders o-line depth and very good performance last year when most of our starters were out with injury shows that we actually do have depth and groomed them well, specifically leading the Raiders brass to letting those 3 OLineman go (trading away 2, right?) and turning over the reigns to the young OL players. 
If I could have one player back, it would be our center Hudson. Would’ve loved to have him entire a Raider. But the team loves this young James kid at center and, with all of the questionable/underperforming draft picks and free agent moves that the Raiders have made over the past years, the offensive line is actually one (the only?) place that they have proven they can build a top OL. 
We were roasted for drafting Kolton Miller. Roasted for signing Brown for the money we gave him (which when healthy showed he was worth the money, he just wasn't on the field). Bringing Incognito was questioned because of being out of football, his age and mental health issues. Good was cut from his old team. Heck, I remember Hudson being questioned when we signed him from KC. It is pretty consistent for talking heads to be critical of the Raiders regardless what is done these days. This last year, if anything, showed the tremendous depth of the Oline. It is pretty clear that MoP just sees the departures and makes a determination of the quality of the line from there without actually having followed the team and be knowledgeable of how the Oline was in constant flux all year long with only Miller being the rock and mostly Hudson there too. The ability to be flexible and move players around and keep playing at a high level seems to be a very big part of the team selecting Leatherwood over other tackles available. We have depth now that we have that starting RT and not hypothetical depth but proven depth as seen from last year. 

best to ignore MOP

Users who are viewing this thread