What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Chargers Official 2021 Thread - The Little Team That Couldn't *** (1 Viewer)

Is it possible the troubles he offensive line has had maintaining the pocket are limiting the playcalling?

Not sure what to make of that game. Glad they didn't blow it but didn't really feel like a confidence builder. Key win to keep pace in the playoff picture at least and stay close to kc for the division.

Schedule to date:

• @WFT (2-2) - Win
  • DAL (3-1) - Loss
  • @KC (2-2) - Win
  • LV (3-1) - Win
Remaining schedule:

• CLE (3-1) - CLE is a contender for the AFC North division title and #1 AFC seed; toss up game since it is in Sofi (would project a loss if in CLE)
  • @BAL (3-1) - BAL is a contender for the AFC North division title and #1 AFC seed; on the road across country with 1 pm start... probable loss
  • Bye
  • NE (1-3) - NE has a good defense, but a limited offense with a rookie QB and this is a cross country game for NE; should be a win
  • @PHI (1-3) - cross country for Chargers but late afternoon game, which helps, and PHI is not very good; should be a win
  • MIN (1-3) - MIN has an average offense and weak defense; should be a win at home
  • PIT (1-3) - PIT has an average defense so far that could be much better if they get healthier, but their offense is pretty bad and it is a cross country game for PIT; should be a win
  • @DEN (3-1) - DEN's 3 wins are NYG, JAX, and NYJ, so I doubt they are as good as their record, although they have a good defense; toss up game since it is a division game on the road
  • @CIN (3-1) - CIN's 4 wins are MIN, @CHI, @PIT, and JAX, so I doubt they are as good as their record, and despite that schedule CIN's offense has been below average; should be a win
  • NYG (1-3) - The Giants are average to below average at everything, and this is a cross country game for them; should be a win
  • KC (2-2) - KC is a contender for the AFC West division title and #1 AFC seed; even though the Chargers beat them on the road, I'll call this a toss up
  • @HOU (1-3) - HOU is currently ranked #28 or worse on both offense and defense; should be a win
  • DEN (3-1) - See above; DEN should be out of the playoff race by this point, and the Chargers should be playing for a playoff spot at minimum and maybe also the division title and seeding; should be a win
  • @LV (3-1) - The Chargers just beat the Raiders by 14 in a game that really didn't seem like it should have been that close, and the Chargers might have more to play for in this game; but I'll call it a toss up game since it is a division game on the road
Excluding their games against the Chargers, their 4 opponents to date are 9-3 (0.750) and their remaining 13 opponents are 26-24 (0.520).

I only see one probable loss and another 4 games that could go either way, which leaves 8 likely wins. (I mean, I get that they could lose any game on their schedule, just talking about what seems most likely today.)

That would mean an 11-6 record at worst, which should be good enough for a wild card. But if they split the toss up games, they would be 13-4, which would probably be good enough to win the division and earn a top 2-3 seed.

Of course, multiple serious injuries could obviously change everything, but right now this team looks like an unexpected (by me at least) contender.
~8 weeks later, things look quite a bit different:

At the time of my post, the chargers were 3-1.

• I predicted a toss up at home vs. Cleveland, and they won. 
  • I predicted a loss at Baltimore, and they did lose... though much worse than I would have expected.
  • I predicted a win at home vs. New England, and they lost.
  • I predicted a win at Philadelphia, and they won.
  • I predicted a win at home vs. Minnesota, and they lost.
  • I predicted a win at home vs. Pittsburgh, and they won.
  • I predicted a toss up at Denver, and they lost.
So I predicted 4-1 plus 2 toss ups over these 7 games, and they actually went 3-4... so worse than my worst-case scenario. They now sit at 6-5, which seems like it is a solid position to push for a wild card spot. But is it? Let me re-examine my previous predictions for the final 6 games:

• Next game is at Cincy (7-4). I originally predicted a win, but this seems more like a toss up now at best, maybe a loss.
  • Home game vs. the Giants should be a win, as I originally predicted.
  • I originally called the home game vs. the Chiefs a toss up, and that still seems reasonable, given the Chargers beat them in the road matchup. But the Chiefs do seem to be playing better recently, which could make this more likely to be a loss than a win.
  • I originally predicted a win at Houston, and that still seems likely.
  • I originally said the home game vs. Denver was a toss up. After today, that seems a bit generous.
  • I originally said the game at Las Vegas was a toss up. That still seems appropriate.
So... I'm now predicting 2 wins and 4 toss ups... which suggests a 10-7 record if they split the toss ups. Will that be good enough for a wild card spot? It's possible, but no guarantee.

If the Chargers miss the playoffs this season, IMO GM Telesco should be fired. I don't think he will be, just saying.

There aren't enough plus players on defense (I think really only James and Bosa - and it's been a quiet season for Bosa), particularly up front. Tranquill and White are the only others that may be better than average. Maybe. They probably won't get to the playoffs as a result, and if they somehow do, I figure they're an easy out.

The offensive line depth is atrocious, as always, and it's a problem, as always.

Telesco should be fired regardless of what they do the rest of the season - the problems were obvious and he didn't do enough to correct them, even with adequate resources to do so. Again.

But, bottom line, the ownership sucks, everything flows down from there. Unless that changes, I don't expect to see a Charger championship in my lifetime.

Anyone have a subscription for the Athletic? It seems Daniel Popper wrote a pretty scathing take down of Telesco there today, but I can't read it. A summary would be appreciated.

There aren't enough plus players on defense (I think really only James and Bosa - and it's been a quiet season for Bosa), particularly up front. Tranquill and White are the only others that may be better than average. Maybe. They probably won't get to the playoffs as a result, and if they somehow do, I figure they're an easy out.

The offensive line depth is atrocious, as always, and it's a problem, as always.

Telesco should be fired regardless of what they do the rest of the season - the problems were obvious and he didn't do enough to correct them, even with adequate resources to do so. Again.

But, bottom line, the ownership sucks, everything flows down from there. Unless that changes, I don't expect to see a Charger championship in my lifetime.
Posted this earlier today at BFTB:

I agree that yesterday's loss is explainable for various reasons. It was a road division game, that's enough by itself.

I'm much more concerned with season-long trends and performance.

1. Many of us posting in this forum predicted before the season that OL depth and interior DL (starters and depth) were going to be big problem areas, since the team did not adequately address those areas in the offseason. They are big problem areas, as predicted.

(In particular, apparently, the team entered the season with no backup guard the coaches were comfortable playing, since both starting guards have missed time and been replaced with poor performing veterans signed after the season started.)

It is concerning to me that Telesco chose to use his 2 3rd round draft picks on WR and TE instead of addressing one or both of those issues. It was a continuation of bad judgment we have seen for years. OK, that's water under the bridge, but the question is whether or not it will continue this offseason in free agency and the draft.

2. It is very concerning that the team knew that its special teams were bad under Lynn's coaching staff, and yet that has continued so far under Staley. So far this season, the Chargers rank dead last in special teams DVOA, same as last season. They are also last in PFF special teams grade and #30 in special teams EPA.

3. But this is my biggest concern of all. The Chargers defense was #23 in points allowed and #10 in yards allowed last season without Derwin James, Drue Tranquill, or Asante Samuel and with Bosa missing 4 games. Staley is supposed to be a defensive mastermind, yet he has somehow coached this team to worse rankings (#28 in points allowed and #14 in yards allowed) despite having all three of those players back and Bosa missing zero games. How is that possible?

I see people say things like "Staley may not have the players he needs" but good coaching adapts system/scheme to fit the talent available. So far, Staley has not shown that he is willing or able to do that.

These are deep, systemic problems. I am hopeful that Staley will learn a lot from this season and we will see big improvements in some or all of these areas next season, but that is a big question mark right now.
:(

Anyone have a subscription for the Athletic? It seems Daniel Popper wrote a pretty scathing take down of Telesco there today, but I can't read it. A summary would be appreciated.
I have a subscription. It was indeed scathing, and IMO completely on point. Excerpts:

The Chargers, as currently constructed by general manager Tom Telesco, are not ready to contend for a title, and that is because their roster is not deep enough. That was laid bare Sunday.

They do not have enough offensive line depth. They do not have enough cornerback depth. They do not have enough defensive line depth or safety depth. They do not have enough speed at wide receiver. They do not have productive running back depth behind Austin Ekeler. They do not have enough experience on special teams.

That falls on Telesco.

And the failures in key moments against the Broncos can all be traced back to that lack of depth.
That's not all of it, but you get the gist. I agree with it 100%, and I have been posting about Telesco's lousy performance for years. The only thing we don't truly know is how much of it is Telesco vs. John Spanos.

Agree. I sure hope they don't pay him to stay after this season.
Yeah. When you see teams who have long term success, like the Patriots, or the Ravens, and they do the whole intro to the offense thing, I notice their offensive linemen are routinely in the top 20 at their respective positions almost across the board. Their receivers, not so much. And their draft and cap resources have been allocated accordingly. I think there's a lesson to be learned there somewhere...

That game was a microcosm of the season so far. At times the Chargers looked unstoppable for long stretches. At other times they looked completely pathetic and inept for long stretches. The lack of depth showed through, but still a couple of lesser known guys made some huge contributions. Bengals ended up out self destructing themselves more than the Chargers did. Shocked to see Ekeler put the ball on the ground twice. Don't expect that to continue.

Staley finally blitzed on some x-and long plays and it paid off. Hopefully they keep more of that in the playbook from now on. He was also demonstratively salty out there - moreso than I've witnessed this season. That false start on the 2 point conversion attempt really broke him - he went flat out :hot: . Good to see as long as he doesn't over do it.

I don't usually do this, but it sure seemed like the Chargers were on the wrong end of more bad calls, and bad no-calls than the Bengals. In particular that INT on the Palmer target sure seemed like defensive PI to me.

Next Up:

Giants

Chiefs

@ Texans

Broncos

@ Raiders

I'm thinking 2-3 or 3-2 here. 9-8 probably doesn't make the playoffs, 10-7 probably does. Gotta take care of business with the Giants. A loss this week would probably end their playoff chances.

That game was a microcosm of the season so far. At times the Chargers looked unstoppable for long stretches. At other times they looked completely pathetic and inept for long stretches. The lack of depth showed through, but still a couple of lesser known guys made some huge contributions. Bengals ended up out self destructing themselves more than the Chargers did. Shocked to see Ekeler put the ball on the ground twice. Don't expect that to continue.

Staley finally blitzed on some x-and long plays and it paid off. Hopefully they keep more of that in the playbook from now on. He was also demonstratively salty out there - moreso than I've witnessed this season. That false start on the 2 point conversion attempt really broke him - he went flat out :hot: . Good to see as long as he doesn't over do it.

I don't usually do this, but it sure seemed like the Chargers were on the wrong end of more bad calls, and bad no-calls than the Bengals. In particular that INT on the Palmer target sure seemed like defensive PI to me.

Next Up:

Giants

Chiefs

@ Texans

Broncos

@ Raiders

I'm thinking 2-3 or 3-2 here. 9-8 probably doesn't make the playoffs, 10-7 probably does. Gotta take care of business with the Giants. A loss this week would probably end their playoff chances.
Agree 2-3 from here misses the playoffs, which would be a disappointment at this point. Beat Giants, Texans, and win 1 of the other 3 games (KC, DEN, at LV), and they are 10-7, and I think they get a wild card spot.

But better opportunity is there for the taking. The Chiefs have a significantly tougher remaining schedule than the Chargers (LV, at LAC, PIT, at CIN, at DEN). If they lose one more game than the Chargers and the Chargers beat them again in LA, the Chargers likely win the division, even if that final record is 10-7.

Great to be in the hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chargers fun facts

- In 1979, Dan Fouts became the first QB in NFL history to throw for 4K (4082).  He then bested his own record the following year, adding on 633 yards, bringing the new record to 4715.  His encore for smashing his own record?  Tack on another 87, making it 4802 in 1981.  Dan was on a 5K pace the next year, but the strike shortened season only went 9 games.  His run of 4 straight seasons as the passing yardage leader is a record that still stands.

- In 1979, WR's John Jefferson & Charlie Joiner become the first WR duo in NFL history to eclipse 1K receiving in the same season.  They repeated the feat in 1980, and this time Kellen Winslow joined them, making the trio the only WR/WR/TE combo to ever accomplish this.

Seems like a lot of people will be sitting this one out. Good game for people to start some of the Charger TEs in fantasy if you're hurting in the WR/TE department and want to roll the dice. Guyton is a good gamble too.

Nice to see them take care of business in a game they were expected to win.

Limited pressure on the QB sure makes a big difference, doesn't it?

Only semi blemishes were the special teams play and Ekeler's ankle.

Going to be a bit contrast in competition level between yesterday and Thursday. This isn't the same Chiefs team the Chargers beat early in the season.

Slater is on the COVID list. I have no idea what they would do if he doesn't get two negative tests in time to play. I can't imagine Pipkins playing LT. I'm guessing Feiler might have to move to one tackle spot, with Norton at the other. Not sure who would play guard... haven't heard if Quessenberry is off the COVID list yet, so not sure if he will be available. Jaimes has only played 5 snaps this season, but Kelemete seems like the only other option, and he has been absolutely terrible.

Also haven't heard yet if Allen, James, and/or Samuel will play. 

Huge negative if any combination of these 4 players miss Thursday's game. Fingers crossed.

Moving on to the game itself, it seems very likely that the winner of this game will win the division. This is the Chargers, so they could still blow it even if they win this game, but their schedule after Thursday is filled with winnable games: @HOU (2-11), DEN (7-6), @LV (6-7).

It's great to be playing such a meaningful game in December for the first time since 2018. :football:  

I need a scorecard to keep up with the Chargers roster issues...

• Good news:

LT Slater - out due to COVID last week; he will reportedly be activated, which should mean he will play Sunday.

[*]IR

• RT Bulaga - remains on IR; unknown if he will ever play another snap for the Chargers.
  • RG Aboushi - out for season.
  • Edge Fackrell - missed last week due to knee injury and will miss at least one more game, so will not play against HOU.
  • CB/ST Smith - out for season.

[*]Unknowns:

• S James - last week, James played in the game but was pulled when his hamstring injury flared up. This is worrisome, since he had missed the previous game due to the injury, meaning he had gone 11 days between games... and now has 10 days between games if he is to play against HOU.
  • CB Samuel - has missed the past 4 games and remains in concussion protocol as of today; unknown if he will play against HOU.
  • S Gilman - has not played since week 10; unknown if he will play against HOU.
  • S Webb - placed on IR in late November after a knee surgery; unknown if he will be activated to play against HOU.
  • RB Ekeler - missed practice today, reason unknown; imixed reports on whether or not he was added to COVID list today; if so, don't know his vax status, so unknown if he will play Sunday.
  • C Quessenberry - out due to COVID last week; unknown if he will be activated to play this week. Big deal if Linsley is out (see below).
  • TE Parham - left last week's game with a concussion, which seemed severe since he was carted off the field; he is reportedly doing well, but it would surprise me if he plays this week.
  • TE Anderson - missed practice today, status unknown.

[*]Added to COVID list today:

• Edge Bosa - unvaxxed and will miss Sunday's game.
  • Edge Rumph - don't know his vax status, so unknown if he will play Sunday; backup, but absence would be more significant with Bosa out.
  • C Linsley - don't know his vax status, so unknown if he will play Sunday; obviously a big deal.
  • CB Campbell - don't know his vax status, so unknown if he will play Sunday; big deal if Samuel doesn't play, bigger deal if both Samuel and James are out.
  • CB Hall - apparently unvaxxed and will miss Sunday's game.
  • S Marshall - don't know his vax status, so unknown if he will play Sunday; big deal if James doesn't play, bigger deal if both Samuel and James are out.
  • WR/KR Roberts - don't know his vax status, so unknown if he will play Sunday; if not, who will return kicks and punts?

Other than Slater, that is 19 names, including 8 starters. And I suppose it could still get worse from a COVID perspective.

In particular, there are 7 DBs named above, not even including Ryan Smith, who was really more of a special teams player than defensive player. They could be playing street free agents in this game.

IMO the Chargers must win at least 2 of their remaining 3 games to make the playoffs. Although this game is on the road, it seemed like the easiest remaining game. But, as a Chargers fan, I would take nothing for granted, even at full health. If many of these players miss this game, this could easily turn into a loss.

I need a scorecard to keep up with the Chargers roster issues...

• Good news:

LT Slater - out due to COVID last week; he will reportedly be activated, which should mean he will play Sunday.

[*]IR

• RT Bulaga - remains on IR; unknown if he will ever play another snap for the Chargers.
  • RG Aboushi - out for season.
  • Edge Fackrell - missed last week due to knee injury and will miss at least one more game, so will not play against HOU.
  • CB/ST Smith - out for season.

[*]Unknowns:

• S James - last week, James played in the game but was pulled when his hamstring injury flared up. This is worrisome, since he had missed the previous game due to the injury, meaning he had gone 11 days between games... and now has 10 days between games if he is to play against HOU.
  • CB Samuel - has missed the past 4 games and remains in concussion protocol as of today; unknown if he will play against HOU.
  • S Gilman - has not played since week 10; unknown if he will play against HOU.
  • S Webb - placed on IR in late November after a knee surgery; unknown if he will be activated to play against HOU.
  • RB Ekeler - missed practice today, reason unknown; imixed reports on whether or not he was added to COVID list today; if so, don't know his vax status, so unknown if he will play Sunday.
  • C Quessenberry - out due to COVID last week; unknown if he will be activated to play this week. Big deal if Linsley is out (see below).
  • TE Parham - left last week's game with a concussion, which seemed severe since he was carted off the field; he is reportedly doing well, but it would surprise me if he plays this week.
  • TE Anderson - missed practice today, status unknown.

[*]Added to COVID list today:

• Edge Bosa - unvaxxed and will miss Sunday's game.
  • Edge Rumph - don't know his vax status, so unknown if he will play Sunday; backup, but absence would be more significant with Bosa out.
  • C Linsley - don't know his vax status, so unknown if he will play Sunday; obviously a big deal.
  • CB Campbell - don't know his vax status, so unknown if he will play Sunday; big deal if Samuel doesn't play, bigger deal if both Samuel and James are out.
  • CB Hall - apparently unvaxxed and will miss Sunday's game.
  • S Marshall - don't know his vax status, so unknown if he will play Sunday; big deal if James doesn't play, bigger deal if both Samuel and James are out.
  • WR/KR Roberts - don't know his vax status, so unknown if he will play Sunday; if not, who will return kicks and punts?

Other than Slater, that is 19 names, including 8 starters. And I suppose it could still get worse from a COVID perspective.

In particular, there are 7 DBs named above, not even including Ryan Smith, who was really more of a special teams player than defensive player. They could be playing street free agents in this game.

IMO the Chargers must win at least 2 of their remaining 3 games to make the playoffs. Although this game is on the road, it seemed like the easiest remaining game. But, as a Chargers fan, I would take nothing for granted, even at full health. If many of these players miss this game, this could easily turn into a loss.
Since this post, these players have been added to the COVID list (and no players have come off that list):

• QB Chase Daniel
  • DL Joe Gaziano
  • WR Jalen Guyton
:unsure:  

Hard to overstate how important Bosa is to this defense.  I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be for his teammates to see him missing games because of ignorance.  The Texans don’t ram the ball down the Chargers throats with that 4th quarter drive if Bosa is there IMO.  

Worst loss of the year by far.  Thanks Joey!

I only got RedZone for parts of this game, so really didn't see much beyond the scoring plays and highlights. But this seems to reflect very negatively on primarily two things:

1. Coaching -- The Chargers played their last game on Thursday night, so they had 3 extra days to prepare for this game, which had to be viewed as a must-win game. They obviously weren't ready. COVID is not an excuse -- the Texans had more players unavailable than the Chargers. This does not reflect well on Staley and his coaching staff.

2. Depth -- The Chargers have some very strong starters -- Herbert, Ekeler, Allen, Williams, Linsley, Slater, Feiler, Bosa, and James. Those 9 players rival the top 9 of any team in the NFL. The problem is that the rest of the roster does not measure up to the the bottom 44+ players on the rosters of other playoff teams, and it's not particularly close. This is a front office/GM problem that has been persistent throughout Telesco's tenure.

Excerpt from Popper's take (bolding is mine) -- ‘We didn’t come ready to play’: Chargers stumble in must-win game at Texans

The Chargers fell to the Texans, 41-29, in a humiliating and, frankly, unacceptable loss at NRG Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Here are my takeaways.

The big picture

The Chargers entered this game fighting for a playoff spot in a tightly contested AFC. Coming off a Thursday night loss to the Chiefs, they had 10 days to prepare for one of the worst teams in the NFL. They could not look past the lowly Texans. This was a game they had to win. They had to do what good teams do — what playoff teams do: take care of business.

The Chargers did the exact opposite of that. There are no trap games in December. Sure, in the early stages of the season, it is easier to explain away a lackluster performance against an inferior opponent. Every team has a lapse at some point or another. But the time for that has passed. Overlooking a team this late in the season is a death sentence. Losing to a league bottom-feeder after Christmas is a surefire way to end up watching the postseason from your couch.

The Chargers did not show up for this game, and that falls on every member of the organization — general manager Tom Telesco and his front office for not building a deep enough roster, coach Brandon Staley and his staff for not engineering a sound enough game plan, and the players for not executing on the field.

We didn’t come ready to play as a team,” defensive back Chris Harris Jr. said.

The Chargers had control of their own destiny. If they won out and finished 11-6, they would have made the postseason. Now, that control has slipped through their fingers. The Raiders, Ravens and Chargers are all tied at 8-7, and the tiebreaker for the seventh seed goes to Baltimore among those three teams. The Chargers have the Week 6 loss at M&T Bank Stadium to thank for that.

They will likely have to win their final two games against the Broncos and Raiders to even give themselves a chance at the playoffs.

“This is the tough side of the NFL,” Staley said after the game. “It’s been a fight this entire season for us, and it’s going to continue to be that way. We still have a lot in front of us that we can play for.”

The Chargers’ COVID-19 outbreak was certainly a factor in this game. They were missing 14 active-roster players because of COVID-19, including cornerback Michael Davis, who started feeling ill during pregame warmups and tested positive not long after, according to Staley. Edge rusher Joey Bosa, defensive lineman Justin Jones, cornerback Tevaughn Campbell, edge rusher Chris Rumph, safety Trey Marshall, defensive back Kemon Hall and defensive lineman Joe Gaziano were out. Center Corey Linsley, running back Austin Ekeler, wide receiver Mike Williams, wide receiver Jalen Guyton and backup quarterback Chase Daniel were also out. Returner Andre Roberts also missed the game while on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

But that is no excuse. The Texans were down 16 active-roster players, including nine starters. They already had one of the worst rosters in the NFL. The Chargers had enough healthy talent to win this game. They did not get the job done.

If the Chargers end up missing the postseason, this is the game they will point to.

Already ruled out of week 16:

• WR Williams
  • CB Harris
  • S Adderley
Also added to COVID list yesterday:

• G Kelemete
  • Edge Egbule
  • IDL Brown
  • S Gilman
Activated from COVID list:

• RB Ekeler
  • IDL Gaziano
  • CB Campbell
I hope a lot more players who missed week 15 get activated over the course of this week. Especially at DB.

Last week, the Chargers only had 7 DBs available, including 2 claimed off waivers recently. Now they have lost 3 who played last week and activated 1. Adderley and Gilman played every defensive snap last week, and Chris Harris played 53 of 68. This has the potential to be a worse defensive performance than last week.

The playoffs don't seem very likely at this point.

Looks like they'll have Bosa, Linsley, Fackerel and a few more return Sunday.
Fackrell is unlikely to play this week according to Staley but may be ready for week 18.

Activated from COVID list so far this week:

• RB Ekeler
  • WR Guyton
  • WR/KR Roberts
  • C Linsley
  • Edge Bosa
  • IDL Jones
  • IDL Gaziano
  • CB Campbell
  • CB Hall
  • S Marshall
I haven't seen anything about the injury status of LB Tranquill or S James.

The Chargers still have 11 players on the COVID list, including OTs Norton and Pipkins. If both remain on the list through the game on Sunday, they will have to start a player out of position at RT. If that player is one of the current OL, like Schofield or Feiler, then either Kelemete or Jaimes would presumably start at guard.

There are other key players still on the COVID list as well, including WR Williams, CB Davis, S Adderley, and CB Harris. Any of them getting activated from the COVID list would be a big positive.

Just Win Baby said:
There are other key players still on the COVID list as well, including WR Williams, CB Davis, S Adderley, and CB Harris. Any of them getting activated from the COVID list would be a big positive.
Mike Williams and Michael Davis were activated. :thumbup:  

Activated from COVID list so far this week:

• RB Ekeler
  • WR WIlliams
  • WR Guyton
  • WR/KR Roberts
  • C Linsley
  • T Norton
  • T Pipkins
  • Edge Bosa
  • IDL Jones
  • IDL Gaziano
  • CB Davis
  • CB Chris Harris
  • CB Campbell
  • CB Davontae Harris
  • CB Hall
  • S Adderley
  • S Gilman
  • S Marshall
  • PK Hopkins
  • LS Overton
That is 20 players, including 10+ starters. Kind of crazy the level of gameday roster risk that is fluctuating week to week right now.

I still haven't seen anything about the injury status of LB Tranquill or S James. Edge Fackrell and, of course, RT Bulaga remain out.

Players still on the COVID list and not available this week include TE Cook and LB Murray

All in all, it feels like the team dodged a bullet for tomorrow, though it is unknown if any of these players actually had COVID symptoms and thus could be affected by that and also remains to be seen if these players will be affected by the missed practice time.

Defense and special teams stepped up yesterday. Nice to have James back, even when he's dropping interceptions.

Haven't seen any updates on Linsley's injury, anyone heard anything yet?

Also props to Herbert for setting the new franchise single season passing TD record in 16 games.

I had a small concern that last season was a flash in the pan heading into this season, but he's the real deal.

Hey @Just Win Baby - this source seems to be repeating a Popper post saying Linsley is day to day with his back issue and will practice today. You have an athletic account right? Can you verify? Very good news if true.
From Popper today:

Center Corey Linsley left Sunday’s win in the first quarter after his back tightened up, but Staley said it is not a serious issue. “It’s not going to be something that’s going to prevent him from practicing, I don’t think, on Wednesday,” Staley said Monday.

Linsley practiced yesterday. Good news.

Also on Bolts from the Blue is this fluff piece on Pipkins's improvement over the last couple of games. You buying in or are these fluke performances? I guess, for me, the fact that he was playing the whole game, both games, and I didn't notice it was a marked improvement over what he'd been doing.

Linsley practiced yesterday. Good news.

Also on Bolts from the Blue is this fluff piece on Pipkins's improvement over the last couple of games. You buying in or are these fluke performances? I guess, for me, the fact that he was playing the whole game, both games, and I didn't notice it was a marked improvement over what he'd been doing.
It's hard to say for sure, since Chris Jones was out for KC and multiple players were out for DEN in his past two games. Take a look at his game grades from PFF throughout his career (with snaps):

Week 4 at MIA - 60.1 (6 snaps)
  • Week 7 at TEN - 60.0 (1)
  • Week 9 vs GB - 60.0 (2)
  • Week 10 at OAK - 69.2 (68)
  • Week 11 vs KC - 60.8 (79)
  • Week 16 vs OAK - 51.7 (32)
  • Week 17 at KC - 63.1 (63)
  • Season - 63.3 (251)

[*]2020

• Week 1 at CIN - 60.0 (1)
  • Week 2 vs KC - 59.3 (75)
  • Week 3 vs CAR - 37.5 (44)
  • Week 4 at TB - 44.9 (53)
  • Week 5 at NO - 41.9 (71)
  • Week 7 vs JAX - 54.3 (81)
  • Week 9 vs LV - 79.1 (77)
  • Week 12 at BUF - 47.7 (83)
  • Week 13 vs NE - 65.1 (14)
  • Week 17 at KC - 79.0 (72)
  • Season - 54.8 (571)

[*]2021

• Week 1 at WAS - 68.5 (6)
  • Week 2 vs DAL - 62.4 (4)
  • Week 3 at KC - 41.7 (9)
  • Week 6 at BAL - 60.0 (2)
  • Week 12 at DEN - 60.0 (1)
  • Week 14 vs NYG - 57.4 (5)
  • Week 15 vs KC - 71.0 (79)
  • Week 17 vs DEN - 73.3 (67)
  • Season to date - 68.5 (173)

He has 14 games to date with 30 or more snaps, and he scored in the 60s-70s in half of them. As painful as it has been at times to watch him, that's not bad for a project player who played college football in Division II.

Given that the coaching staff changed after 2020, I'm inclined to be cautiously optimistic about his recent play. The team also brought in veterans in Linsley, Feiler, and Aboushi to replace less experienced players who departed last offseason, and Staley has commented recently that having more veteran experience in the OL room has helped Pipkins.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect he will become a quality full-time starter, but he has shown he can be a solid depth player over the past few weeks.

Now, had you asked for opinions about him before week 15...

Users who are viewing this thread