What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Chargers Official 2021 Thread - The Little Team That Couldn't *** (3 Viewers)

On the surface Chargers' fans it sure seems like Slater was a Home Run and maybe Samuel was a slight reach in the 1st round but he feels like value in the 2nd. A WR and TE I'm not that familiar with but when you have Thor throwing the balls all over the place, who really cares as long as they catch the football or block to protect Justin Herbert. 

I like most of your Draft and I don't feel you are any threat to challenge the Chiefs at the moment but I do like your draft and think you got better. How much better? Not sure but you need someone to watch Herbert's back, think you not only got that in Slater but he makes other OL better around him. Think Nelson from the Colts in terms of impact, it could be on that level when we look back in a year or two. Outstanding work this year IMHO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Chargers signed FA DT Christian Covington. Don't know if he's any good, but at least it's an attempt to add some depth up front.

Overly enthusiastic odds being posted for the Chargers to win it all IMO. Too many unknowns to have odds like that.
Note that the headline is incorrect, at least in my view. 11 teams have better odds, so IMO that means the Chargers are tied for the 12th best odds... the author ignores where there are ties ahead of the Chargers to say they have the 9th best odds, which IMO is a bizarre way to characterize it.

Chargers @DC week 1. Seems like a winnable game, though there is the east coast start time factor.
Sure, it's winnable, but I doubt the Chargers will be favored. First game for new coaching staff, on the road across country, 10 am Pacific start, against a 2020 playoff team (yes, 7-9 last season, but should be improved in 2021). It would be a big win to start the season for either team.

It's the kind of challenging but winnable game that can make the difference in getting a wild card spot or not.

Looking at the entire schedule, it's a tough first half. As of today, it seems possible they would be favored in just 1 of their first 7 games, against the Raiders on MNF. It wouldn't surprise me if they were 2-5 after week 8. Not saying any of those games are not winnable, just that it looks like a tough schedule.

Will be interesting to see if the new coaching staff can lead them to a positive record over that stretch or keep them from tanking if the early season games don't go well.

Full Schedule:

Code:
Sunday Sep. 12	at Washington FT	10:00am 

Sunday Sep. 19	Dallas Cowboys		1:25pm

Sunday Sep. 26	at Kansas City Chiefs	10:00am

Monday Oct. 4	Las Vegas Raiders	5:15pm

Sunday Oct. 10	Cleveland Browns	1:05pm

Sunday Oct. 17	at Baltimore Ravens	10:00am

Sunday Oct. 24	BYE	

Sunday Oct. 31	New England Patriots	1:05pm

Sunday Nov. 7	at Philadelphia Eagles	1:05pm

Sunday Nov. 14	Minnesota Vikings	1:05pm

Sunday Nov. 21	Pitsburgh Steelers	5:20pm

Sunday Nov. 28	at Denver Broncos	1:05pm

Sunday Dec. 5	at Cincinnati Bengals	10:00pm

Sunday Dec. 12	New York Giants		1:05pm

Thursd Dec. 16	Kansas City Chiefs	5:20pm

Sunday Dec. 26	at Houston Texans	10:00am

Sunday Jan. 2	Denver Broncos		1:05pm

Sunday Jan. 9	at Las Vegas Raiders	1:25pm

Looking at the entire schedule, it's a tough first half. As of today, it seems possible they would be favored in just 1 of their first 7 games, against the Raiders on MNF. It wouldn't surprise me if they were 2-5 after week 8. Not saying any of those games are not winnable, just that it looks like a tough schedule.

Will be interesting to see if the new coaching staff can lead them to a positive record over that stretch or keep them from tanking if the early season games don't go well.
I think 3-4, 4-3 more likely. The only games of the first seven I think they have a high probability of losing are at KC and at BAL. The rest seem like toss ups or better. Definitely will be a good test of how competent the coaching is early on.

Gr00vus said:
I think 3-4, 4-3 more likely. The only games of the first seven I think they have a high probability of losing are at KC and at BAL. The rest seem like toss ups or better. Definitely will be a good test of how competent the coaching is early on.
I could see 3-4. Better than that would be a surprise to me. (Hoping for it.)

I see at least 3 losses in the last 10 games from among KC, PIT, and the 5 road games. Add at least one if Rodgers goes to Denver.

So if Rodgers is elsewhere, I would predict a best case of 10-7, which should be in contention for a wild card. I also wouldn't be surprised to see 8-9 (or worse, if injuries are severe).

If Rogers goes to the Broncos and Watson is playing for the Texans again, the end of the season could be a problem.

At least they don't have a lot of 10 am games on the east coast.  When I saw NFC east and AFC north I figured we'd see a bunch of those.  But after the bye only Cincinnati.

They're slightly favored vs. WFT,  which seems right to me.  I think that ones a toss up. 

Vegas seems to be putting over/under wins at about 9, and I think that seems about right.  They could be better with health or worse if we get the usual injury pileup. 

Will they dump Badgley for UDFA Alex Kessman?!?! Gear up for riveting preseason drama.
Like when they dumped Lambo for the rookie Younghoe Koo?

Koo has actually become a good NFL kicker for Atl but that was a disaster for the Chargers.

Koo has actually become a good NFL kicker for Atl but that was a disaster for the Chargers.
Dumping Lambo was dumb. Badgley was horrible last year. I don't think they'd be risking dumping the next Rolf Benirschke if Kessman beats out Badgley in camp/preseason. Based on Kessman's college career, Kessman is better than Badgley on long field goals, so it could be an upgrade.

Dumping Lambo was dumb. Badgley was horrible last year. I don't think they'd be risking dumping the next Rolf Benirschke if Kessman beats out Badgley in camp/preseason. Based on Kessman's college career, Kessman is better than Badgley on long field goals, so it could be an upgrade.
Plus, when they made the Lambo and Koo decisions, they had arguably the worst special teams coaching in the league. No idea how good Staley's special teams coaches will be, but they pretty much have to be better by default, implying better decision-making on which PK they should go with.

The Las Vegas Westgate posted lines for all 272 games this season,  and by my primitive math skills it looks like the Charger's are favored (albeit slightly on most) in 11 games this year 😬

The Las Vegas Westgate posted lines for all 272 games this season,  and by my primitive math skills it looks like the Charger's are favored (albeit slightly on most) in 11 games this year 😬
As always, we don't know what's real until about 4 games into the regular season. No way would I be counting on game lines established in May as indication of much. It's a nice warm fuzzy, but that's about all.

As always, we don't know what's real until about 4 games into the regular season. No way would I be counting on game lines established in May as indication of much. It's a nice warm fuzzy, but that's about all.
I don't like all this warm and fuzzy stuff.  I'd prefer if they were underdogs every game.  Give them some bulletin material,  I say. 

I don't like all this warm and fuzzy stuff.  I'd prefer if they were underdogs every game.  Give them some bulletin material,  I say. 
I hear you. I think ESPN had them like 17 in their pre-season power rankings - that's not so great. Some bulletin board material there maybe. But given their complete lack of accomplishment the last  several years, do they really need bulletin board material? Step one is to not be cloddish #### ups shooting themselves in the feet repeatedly. Nobody should be having delusions of grandeur in that locker room. They've proven zip.

Initial insight into the defensive front from boltsfromtheblue:

In the short videos from Tuesday, we were able to see the defense in a traditional 3-4 base front. I’m not entirely sure on specifics of everyone who was playing where, but we could at least see where players were lining up. In one video, the defense lined up with a tackle head-up on the center (nose), another lineman was lined up on the inside shoulder of the offensive tackle (4i), and Kyler Fackrell was in his spot on the edge outside of the tackle. By deduction, we can tell there was another 4i and edge rusher on the other side of the formation. That’s your traditional base 3-4 front. Your two linebackers in the middle at the time were Drue Tranquill and Kyzir White, but don’t go looking too far into that duo right now.

I’m still really looking forward to seeing Joey Bosa work on the edge and what that exactly looks like in this front. Usually that means he’s in a standup or two-point stance, but that would be taking him out of his usual element. Brandon Staley from the start has said Bosa is an edge player and that means he’s not expected to shift inside to a 4i ever so it’ll be edge or bust. How that will all play out, however, remains to be seen.
Bosa in pass coverage? Or will he always just rush the passer?

Ahhh... being favored in 11 games is much much different than Vegas picking them to win 11 games. 

The Chiefs are favored in all 16 of their games! 
Right.  I was just referring to the weekly betting lines.  Not the over under win total. 

That doesn't surprise me.  Chargers building some buzz and they (or he on his own) is getting his name out there.  Going to schools and bringing supplies and stuff.  It's smart as they know they have a chance to build on something if he can keep playing lights out.  

Plus....we got us a boat load of wagon jumpers here in so cal just waiting for the next big thing.  

That doesn't surprise me.  Chargers building some buzz and they (or he on his own) is getting his name out there.  Going to schools and bringing supplies and stuff.  It's smart as they know they have a chance to build on something if he can keep playing lights out.  

Plus....we got us a boat load of wagon jumpers here in so cal just waiting for the next big thing.  
There are like 5 Charger fans on this board - maybe 5 and a half depending on how @tommyGunZ feels any given day. I figure that's kind of representative of the world at large. Maybe that's wrong. But I figure the Chargers at this time are a total NFL afterthought, thus surprising to me to see that jersey ranking. Maybe it is a bunch of bandwagon jumpers - but that doesn't usually happen until the team actually starts winning. I don't know.

There are like 5 Charger fans on this board - maybe 5 and a half depending on how @tommyGunZ feels any given day. I figure that's kind of representative of the world at large. Maybe that's wrong. But I figure the Chargers at this time are a total NFL afterthought, thus surprising to me to see that jersey ranking. Maybe it is a bunch of bandwagon jumpers - but that doesn't usually happen until the team actually starts winning. I don't know.
Can we identify them? In no particular order:

1. @Gr00vus
  2. @Maurile Tremblay
  3. @tommyGunZ
  4. @Jail
  5. @bicycle_seat_sniffer
  6. @Despyzer
  7. me
Is that it? That's really not many... I hope I forgot a bunch...

Haha.  You guys are cracking me up.  

Tebow and Lawrence are pretty high on the list as well,  but I don't think we have a lot of Jaguars fans on this board either....or do we?

I'm sure that there are more of us here (Chargers fans) that don't post very often. I'll post every once in awhile, but I do check in to read pretty much every day - usually more than once.

I'm not that surprised that Herbert's jersey is selling as well as it. He is one of the new young guns. Plus, there's the fact that Chargers have the best unis in the league - hands down. I know quite a few people that aren't Chargers fans that still really like the uniforms.

I'm not that surprised that Herbert's jersey is selling as well as it. He is one of the new young guns. Plus, there's the fact that Chargers have the best unis in the league - hands down. I know quite a few people that aren't Chargers fans that still really like the uniforms.
Obviously people will disagree on that, but I agree with you. It was actually one of the draws for 9 year old me when they became my favorite team way back when - those lightning bolts are just ####### cool.

Yep, same here. I was eight (many moons ago) when I traded in my dad's blue star on a silver helmet for the much more awesome lightning bolt!

Gr00vus said:
I want to hate and root against the Bolts because of the Spanoses, but I still find myself reading BoltsfromtheBlue, reading all the Charger draft stuff and following all their transactions. I wish someone else would buy the team.  

Love the Chargers draft, even the 3rd round WR.  It’s safe to say Keenan has kicked the injury-prone label he had early in his career, but we need depth at the position.  I also think Herbert is going to turn the TE from GA into a mini-star.  

I want to hate and root against the Bolts because of the Spanoses, but I still find myself reading BoltsfromtheBlue, reading all the Charger draft stuff and following all their transactions. I wish someone else would buy the team.  

Love the Chargers draft, even the 3rd round WR.  It’s safe to say Keenan has kicked the injury-prone label he had early in his career, but we need depth at the position.  I also think Herbert is going to turn the TE from GA into a mini-star.  
does SD city even cover them anymore? I mean to abandon your fan base and go to a city full of Rams and Raiders fans? Dont make much sense. I mean Im a transplant and I always said if they didnt rebrand and kept the name chargers I would still be a fan

However my folks and wife and everyone knows, for birthday or fathers day what ever, the tee shirts better not say LA anywhere on it.

I was an LT owner for years and loved watching the team in those years.  I'm a Oregon homer and love Herbert (also he's a friend of a friend) so when LAC drafted him I knew I'd be rooting for the team.  Last year only intensified that.  I'm a 49ers fan first and foremost, but I do really like the Chargers as well.

I'm definitely NOT a charger fan but I'm curious if any of the locals can comment on the spanos family finances. These numbers were discussed on the internet(so they must be true!) and if any of these numbers appear to be wrong please point out the inaccuracies.

spanos "accounting" for the choices that they have made....

- $650mil in debt, because they still haven't paid the fee to transfer out of San Diego after playing hardball in negotiations with the tax payers. You'll show the city of San Diego!

- $353mil in team debt, .... "WTF?" I guess they have been paying for the absolute most expensive team medical professionals that they could find wandering the streets of Tijuana for the past decade or two.

- $75mil in estate taxes, and people are worried that it's the taxes that is going to part the remora children of their ancestors hard work..... barely a drop in the bucket in this list of absurdity.

- $22mil in DEFAULTED CHARITY CONTRIBUTIONS, jfc spanos family.... always keeping it classy.

- $11mil in TEAM LOSSES PER YEAR! We have found a group of people so dumb they have no idea how to make a profit by owning an NFL team and cashing network television checks. They had a tree growing money in their back yard so they set it ablaze and it caught their house on fire. Somebody please hand them a full gas can to dowse out the flames.

Now, I'm not a billionaire so I must not be as smart as a spanos but by my math they are over a billion dollars in the hole. Well, let's make this a capitol Billion. Is it possible that these numbers are off and this family isn't a group of bungling idiots? I genuinely feel bad for Herbert. Fouts career was wasted by bad ownership. Then Rivers. You're turn kid. I don't blame Dea for wanting to sell before her brothers drive the debts of this franchise above it's "value". When people throw around the "value" of a team I'm pretty sure that's assuming competent ownership. In a market that has at least some interest in supporting it. And playing in a stadium you at least have some stake in(or a tiny, broken down soccer stadium that your franchise struggles to fill..... whichever is better). The team may have "value" in the hands of..... almost ANYONE else..... but based on these numbers the Chargers are apparently costing the spanos family money out of pocket.

From the family that brought you, "THEY HATE THAT NEW LA LOGO!". Who could have possibly known that this wasn't a good idea!? Don't feel sorry for what is happening to this family either. There's a good chance none of them will remember pissing all this away in a few years anyway. Always a silver lining, I suppose. They won't remember how this all went down. But we will.

I'm definitely NOT a charger fan but I'm curious if any of the locals can comment on the spanos family finances. These numbers were discussed on the internet(so they must be true!) and if any of these numbers appear to be wrong please point out the inaccuracies.

spanos "accounting" for the choices that they have made....

- $650mil in debt, because they still haven't paid the fee to transfer out of San Diego after playing hardball in negotiations with the tax payers. You'll show the city of San Diego!

- $353mil in team debt, .... "WTF?" I guess they have been paying for the absolute most expensive team medical professionals that they could find wandering the streets of Tijuana for the past decade or two.

- $75mil in estate taxes, and people are worried that it's the taxes that is going to part the remora children of their ancestors hard work..... barely a drop in the bucket in this list of absurdity.

- $22mil in DEFAULTED CHARITY CONTRIBUTIONS, jfc spanos family.... always keeping it classy.

- $11mil in TEAM LOSSES PER YEAR! We have found a group of people so dumb they have no idea how to make a profit by owning an NFL team and cashing network television checks. They had a tree growing money in their back yard so they set it ablaze and it caught their house on fire. Somebody please hand them a full gas can to dowse out the flames.

Now, I'm not a billionaire so I must not be as smart as a spanos but by my math they are over a billion dollars in the hole. Well, let's make this a capitol Billion. Is it possible that these numbers are off and this family isn't a group of bungling idiots? I genuinely feel bad for

Herbert

. Fouts career was wasted by bad ownership. Then

Rivers

. You're turn kid. I don't blame Dea for wanting to sell before her brothers drive the debts of this franchise above it's "value". When people throw around the "value" of a team I'm pretty sure that's assuming competent ownership. In a market that has at least some interest in supporting it. And playing in a stadium you at least have some stake in(or a tiny, broken down soccer stadium that your franchise struggles to fill..... whichever is better). The team may have "value" in the hands of..... almost ANYONE else..... but based on these numbers the Chargers are apparently costing the spanos family money out of pocket.

From the family that brought you, "THEY HATE THAT NEW LA LOGO!". Who could have possibly known that this wasn't a good idea!? Don't feel sorry for what is happening to this family either. There's a good chance none of them will remember pissing all this away in a few years anyway. Always a silver lining, I suppose. They won't remember how this all went down. But we will.
I think those numbers came from a court filing by Dea Spanos (Dean's sister).  She's trying to force a sale of the team.  I don't think any of us have any way to verify them since they're not a public company.   I do know that for years they've been the second lowest in terms of annual revenue (only ahead of the Raiders).

I think Dean is expecting the move to LA to increase the revenue enough to solve all their financial problems.

I was A rabid fan. Now I just follow news and whatnot. The Spanos' sucked San Diego dry and then left behind a legacy of mostly enjoyable rollercoaster football history just to kneel to the almighty (ghost) dollar fabled to exist in LA. Like the Chupacabra that dollar has been elusive and most think non-existent.  Dea has the right idea. Get your money now girl, before Dean burns it all at the altar of what will never be.

Shuked by your name then.  Did you used to be?
I was a fan when they were in SD, but I can't root for an la team. Ever. Luckily the move lifted the curse of rooting for a spanos owned team for most of my life.

Still hate the donkeys, though. Maybe I'll turn in my navy blue for Honolulu blue and get on the Detroit Lions train on the ground floor. IMO Goff isn't nearly as bad as he's portrayed to be but they really don't have any WR's to throw to at the moment. People think their new coach is a problem but can it really get worse? I think Wayne Fontes was the last HC to win a playoff game with Erik Kramer as their starting QB and Brett Perriman as their leading receiver. That was ~30years ago.

Maybe I'll change my user name to Saint Jude. But then people will think I'm rooting for NO.

Users who are viewing this thread